View Full Version : Oklahoma City Blazers possibly to return in 2016

Pages : [1] 2

GoOKC1991
06-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Tend The Farm ~OKC Blazers "Interested" In Return, Joining ECHL in 2016 (http://www.tendthefarm.com/okc-blazers-interested-in-return-joining-echl-in-2016/)

This is great!!!

borchard
06-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Very excited. Just hope Bob Funk Jr and his ass hat minions have nothing to do with it

kwhey
06-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Read the story.

borchard
06-02-2015, 07:16 PM
AS long as those gentlemen mentioned are in charge, they will have my support.

dcsooner
06-02-2015, 07:41 PM
C
Tend The Farm ~OKC Blazers "Interested" In Return, Joining ECHL in 2016 (http://www.tendthefarm.com/okc-blazers-interested-in-return-joining-echl-in-2016/)

This is great!!!
Not great, OKC continues to settle for bush league, second rate hockey. Not a hockey fan so really do not care, but, not a big league city move

bradh
06-02-2015, 08:48 PM
If the Barons weren't so expensive they'd still be here. Shoulda just made every game general admission and charge $10 a seat. Then you get more people sitting low and arena appears more full. Too many $30+ seats for AHL hockey was a bad deal.

If this reincarnation of the Blazers has cheap tickets, it'll already have fights and bad hockey, so there is the trifecta of luring Oklahoma hockey fans.

Dave Cook
06-03-2015, 12:30 AM
If the Barons weren't so expensive they'd still be here. Shoulda just made every game general admission and charge $10 a seat. Then you get more people sitting low and arena appears more full. Too many $30+ seats for AHL hockey was a bad deal.

I always got a kick out of the casual fan knuckleheads that I got stuck behind at the ticket window asking 'How much are your tickets near the glass?'

All they had to do was buy a $10 ticket and move down. I don't remember ever paying more than $10 for a ticket in years.

Dave Cook
06-03-2015, 12:33 AM
If this reincarnation of the Blazers has cheap tickets, it'll already have fights and bad hockey, so there is the trifecta of luring Oklahoma hockey fans.

It's amazing how many 'hockey fans' in Oklahoma City were bored with guys like Eberle, Hall, Cheechoo and others. Says a lot about the Okie hockey IQ.

Two of the four goaltenders in the Stanley Cup Finals played against the Barons at the Myriad.....Ben Bishop (Peoria) and Scott Darling (Rockford). Yeah, the AHL sucked.....bring in the 17-year old junior players.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2015, 09:00 AM
It's amazing how many 'hockey fans' in Oklahoma City were bored with guys like Eberle, Hall, Cheechoo and others. Says a lot about the Okie hockey IQ.

Two of the four goaltenders in the Stanley Cup Finals played against the Barons at the Myriad.....Ben Bishop (Peoria) and Scott Darling (Rockford). Yeah, the AHL sucked.....bring in the 17-year old junior players.

If you grow up a fan, and follow the NHL, the idea of going to a minor league event is "meh". This is particularly true of the leagues inferior to the AHL. Kinda like those who grew up watching OU football, the thought of watching NAIA in person is not an attraction.

borchard
06-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Lund says honestly. “In 1999 I said something that got me in a lot of trouble, but it is true – Oklahoma City is not a hockey town, it’s a Blazers town. We even had people cancel season tickets because I said that. I’m not trying to be a know-it-all, but I think the last five years have proven that. I do believe this is a Blazers town."

Seriously, I wouldn't know Eberle, Hall, Cheechoo, or Chong if they hit me with their cars. But if I ever saw;
Joe Burton
Hardy Sauter
Tyler Fleck
Marty Standish
Steve Simoni
Guy Girard
Alan Perry
Simon Olivier
etc...
I'd gladly buy them a drink and thank them for playing here for the Blazers

Dave Cook
06-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Yeah, there was actually a news story a couple of years ago during the NHL shutdown about Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle playing in Oklahoma City. These guys are huge celebrities in Canada and they were saying they could go anywhere in Oklahoma City and no one had any clue who they were. Total anonymity. It was as if they were playing on the moon.

Hockey town USA.

okatty
06-03-2015, 12:12 PM
I personally wouldn't walk across the street to watch if I was given a ticket. BUT, I know there are lots of very passionate hockey fans in OKC and I hope whatever happens in terms of a hockey team that it is good for the true fans and the City going forward.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Lund says honestly. “In 1999 I said something that got me in a lot of trouble, but it is true – Oklahoma City is not a hockey town, it’s a Blazers town. We even had people cancel season tickets because I said that. I’m not trying to be a know-it-all, but I think the last five years have proven that. I do believe this is a Blazers town."

Seriously, I wouldn't know Eberle, Hall, Cheechoo, or Chong if they hit me with their cars. But if I ever saw;
Joe Burton
Hardy Sauter
Tyler Fleck
Marty Standish
Steve Simoni
Guy Girard
Alan Perry
Simon Olivier
etc...

Well then, I guess Brad and myself would agree that the Blazers and hockey are mutually exclusive terms.

OkieHornet
06-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Yeah, there was actually a news story a couple of years ago during the NHL shutdown about Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle playing in Oklahoma City. These guys are huge celebrities in Canada and they were saying they could go anywhere in Oklahoma City and no one had any clue who they were. Total anonymity. It was as if they were playing on the moon.

Hockey town USA.

the games they played for the barons were really good - you could tell the difference in playing level pretty easily between them and "regular" ahl players. i think justin schultz was playing with them also.

Jersey Boss
06-03-2015, 03:05 PM

Hockey town USA.

The local media certainly provided little if any coverage as well. Talking about clueless.

Dave Cook
06-03-2015, 03:40 PM
the games they played for the barons were really good - you could tell the difference in playing level pretty easily between them and "regular" ahl players. i think justin schultz was playing with them also.

Schultz was indeed on that team. What a great player.

The two best d-men we saw in OKC were Schultzy and Darnell Nurse. Both are gonna be in the show a long, long time.

Notice I didn't include Hardy Sauter in that group.

White Peacock
06-03-2015, 06:38 PM
I personally wouldn't walk across the street to watch if I was given a ticket. BUT, I know there are lots of very passionate hockey fans in OKC and I hope whatever happens in terms of a hockey team that it is good for the true fans and the City going forward.

In the dark season between the Blazers folding and the Barons arriving, I went to OU and OCU hockey games. I'm alright with having an ECHL team here if the only other option is low-level college hockey and low-level juniors.

ECHL is still gonna be a better on-ice performance than the CHL was, by a considerable margin. ECHL dudes are typically part of the call-up/send-down pipeline, as their ECHL team is generally affiliated with an AHL team and that AHL team's affiliate. Old CHL Blazers dudes? They were, for the most part, beer league for life. Some CHL teams would get an affiliation with an NHL team, but you never saw much come of it. And that's because those guys really sucked at hockey. That's just an objective observation. I always loved going to Blazers games, but it was not good hockey; it was just a fun experience overall.

I agree that Funk Jr. and Prodigal had the wrong attitude toward the city's past hockey enthusiasm, and they should have embraced Blazers fans, instead of being all hipster about the brand being higher caliber.

I have Blazers memorabilia from the 60s...I'm all for having our local brand back in action, if indeed it does happen. All real hockey fans will always lament the loss of AHL in OKC, but recharging hockey with a familiar logo is better than a kick in the pants.

Dave Cook
06-03-2015, 09:31 PM
You know, I'm really kind of surprised Lund wants back in on this thing, if that is indeed the case. I like Lund and applaud his efforts with the CHL Blazers.

Having said that, this isn't 1992 Oklahoma anymore. The landscape has certainly changed with Thunder basketball, OU/OCU hockey, Jr. Blazers and a vastly improved Oklahoma City in terms of nightlife and entertainment.

Who is going to invest in this thing? The city of Oklahoma City? The Edmonton Oilers pumped $5 million dollars into new ice equipment at the Myriad. Aren't they tearing that barn down now? The Chesapeake isn't going to be cheap and certainly didn't want the old Blazers around. Who's going to pony up the money for new ice equipment at the Fairgrounds or a new arena in OKC that seats 6,500?

It will be nice to see the ECHL come to town but expecting a crowd of over 2,500 is probably not realistic. The good ol days are over.

borchard
06-04-2015, 06:14 AM
You know, I'm really kind of surprised Lund wants back in on this thing, if that is indeed the case. I like Lund and applaud his efforts with the CHL Blazers.

Having said that, this isn't 1992 Oklahoma anymore. The landscape has certainly changed with Thunder basketball, OU/OCU hockey, Jr. Blazers and a vastly improved Oklahoma City in terms of nightlife and entertainment.

Who is going to invest in this thing?
Lund quickly gets to the point, “We have a business opportunity in the sports marketplace to put together an ownership for the return of the Blazers for 2016. I would establish the level of interest from perspective ownership groups as average to good. Never great until you have someone sign on the dotted line.” He continues, “We’ve had two existing ECHL franchise owners show interest in the market. There’s a reputable minor league sports broker out there that has a handful of clients interested. I’ve met with local business leaders in town, there’s even one former Blazer living in Canada now interested in owning the team. It’s out there.”

The city of Oklahoma City? The Edmonton Oilers pumped $5 million dollars into new ice equipment at the Myriad. Aren't they tearing that barn down now? The Chesapeake isn't going to be cheap and certainly didn't want the old Blazers around. Who's going to pony up the money for new ice equipment at the Fairgrounds or a new arena in OKC that seats 6,500?

Lund has discussed this matter both with the city and SMG (managing entity of the Cox Convention Center) with whom he gets weekly updates on the matter.

It will be nice to see the ECHL come to town but expecting a crowd of over 2,500 is probably not realistic. The good ol days are over.

Robert_M
06-04-2015, 12:41 PM
ECHL dudes are typically part of the call-up/send-down pipeline, as their ECHL team is generally affiliated with an AHL team and that AHL team's affiliate.

This would appear to be still part of the problem as well as I have seen post on here and had conversations with people that the inconsistent line up turned them off. There will be some that just don't have what it takes to move on for one reason or another but the best of them will be up and gone to better things.

White Peacock
06-04-2015, 07:08 PM
This would appear to be still part of the problem as well as I have seen post on here and had conversations with people that the inconsistent line up turned them off. There will be some that just don't have what it takes to move on for one reason or another but the best of them will be up and gone to better things.

Consistent lineup is good for community reasons, but only non-hockey people would use that as a reason to forgo the whole thing altogether. And while the lineup can change almost entirely over the course of a few seasons, they're consistent enough that you know who you're cheering for if you go to games now and then.

borchard
06-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Interview With Brad Lund - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/clip/11568589/interview-with-brad-lund)

kwhey
06-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Absolutely agree with you. These people that think a new Blazers franchise going to be like the old days will be sorely mistaken. You won't have have the same roster consistency, no bench clearing brawls, and multiple fights every game. They will stop going and this team will leave too.

kwhey
06-05-2015, 11:24 AM

Joe Burton
Hardy Sauter
Tyler Fleck
Marty Standish
Steve Simoni
Guy Girard
Alan Perry
Simon Olivier
etc...

Olivier was a dirty player. Plain and simple. He intentionally buttended a player with his stick. As for Fleck, he liked to throw elbows to faces. Yesh, great ambassadors of hockey.

borchard
06-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Piece of History Returned - Oklahoma City Blazers Hockey (http://okcblazershockey.com/?p=1138)

“I went back to get the sign after the game and I asked the lady working there if I could grab it. She said “That’s Your’s?” and I said yes and I’m taking it home,”Comes explained. “The worker said “You’re taking it to your house?” and I said not exactly, I’m taking it to it’s HOME. It’s going back to the Blazers where it belongs.”

“This is a logo that guys fought for, bled for and cried for. The Blazer brand is something that is etched into the hearts of Oklahoman’s everywhere. Everyone recognizes it and it’s become a part of who we are,” said Fleck. “We are damn proud to be Blazers. There were hundred’s of players that tapped that sign for a little extra luck on their way by. When someone recognizes that and goes out of their way to bring back a piece of history like this to where it rightfully belongs, it’s unreal. It just means a lot.”

borchard
06-05-2015, 12:21 PM
“I’ve come to find that people associate Blazers hockey with happiness and good times. We weren’t just a hockey team or a brand. We were a family that extended well beyond the dressing room, well beyond the arena. A family that extended to every corner of the state,” Fleck added. “A family with a great big heart that I am proud to be a part of.” - Tyler Fleck

Jersey Boss
06-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Jeez, I'm going to get the "sugars".

Dave Cook
06-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Well, I'll give Lund credit for knowing the market. We are indeed a Blazer town and not a hockey town.

Reminds me of being up in Quad Cities when the Flames were in town. They were the Calgary Flames farm team and certainly better than the UHL Mallards. But all I heard from the fans was 'I sure wish we had the Mallards back. Now THAT was hockey'. Their wish came true. Soon we get to play the Quad Cities Mallards!!! Woo-hoo!

So...in regards to hockey culture....we've now sunken to the level of Moline, Illinois/Davenport, Iowa. That's about right for Oklahoma City.

bradh
06-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Maybe I will be proven wrong, and I will be going to an early game to see if this phenomenon of being a "Blazers town" really exists, because while that may have been true in pre-2009, OKC is most certainly now a "Thunder town."

Bob Loblaw
06-08-2015, 01:45 PM
From Steve Lackmeyer's OKC Central Chat last Friday:

billy
11:20 AM
thought on bringing the blazers back to okc? if the barons didn't work why would the blazers?

Steve Lackmeyer
11:22 AM
I think there is a good memory attached to the Blazers, but the team's success was not as it was portrayed during its glory days. The seats were filled with people who paid nothing for their tickets, and the operation was bleeding money (a matter that led to a lawsuit between the one-time partners Brad Lund and Bob Funk Sr.). I do, however, believe ice hockey has a following in Oklahoma City, and I don't think the Baron's are the end to the sport being played here.

White Peacock
06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
From Steve Lackmeyer's OKC Central Chat last Friday:

billy
11:20 AM
thought on bringing the blazers back to okc? if the barons didn't work why would the blazers?

Steve Lackmeyer
11:22 AM
I think there is a good memory attached to the Blazers, but the team's success was not as it was portrayed during its glory days. The seats were filled with people who paid nothing for their tickets, and the operation was bleeding money (a matter that led to a lawsuit between the one-time partners Brad Lund and Bob Funk Sr.). I do, however, believe ice hockey has a following in Oklahoma City, and I don't think the Baron's are the end to the sport being played here.

The Barons proved that the hockey following here is smaller than initially thought. And the biggest complaint was how expensive the Barons were. I'd always thought it was a bunk complaint considering they offered $10 tickets. And the ECHL won't be a remedy for that complaint, as ECHL tickets aren't much cheaper than AHL tickets (which by comparison to NHL prices are beyond reasonable).

Dave Cook
06-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Listening to the Sport Animal all afternoon and not a single mention of tonight's possible Stanley Cup presentation.

If only this town had fewer Blazers fans and more hockey fans.

ljbab728
06-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Listening to the Sport Animal all afternoon and not a single mention of tonight's possible Stanley Cup presentation.

If only this town had fewer Blazers fans and more hockey fans.

I heard it being discussed on BBj's show this morning.

Mel
06-15-2015, 09:03 PM
I still wear my Blazer's cap. Like the "gotcha" look I get from former fans.

borchard
06-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I like what someone said on one of the local news websites;
"Hockey will return to OKC, in some way, shape or form. Fortunately, Prodigal Sports has given a perfect blueprint of what not to do to be successful."

Laramie
06-17-2015, 07:59 PM
I like what someone said on one of the local news websites;
"Hockey will return to OKC, in some way, shape or form. Fortunately, Prodigal Sports has given a perfect blueprint of what not to do to be successful."

Definitely remember the Blazers of the mid 60s and 70s. Whenever there was a promotion to 'give-away' an automobile; there were 9,000-10,000 people who would pack State Fair Arena. Just didn't see that same scenario with the Barons; although they put a better brand of hockey onto the ice.

Now that we look back on it, just thankful that the NHL passed up OKC in 1997 for Columbus, OH (Bluejackets). We would have the 'NHL' instead of the 'NBA' in OKC. Oklahoma RedHawks would have been the team name.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.M9TXumtyiUCrb8Cn1PmCVw&pid=15.1&P=0
Bring back our Oklahoma City Blazers!

borchard
06-18-2015, 06:46 AM
I love that logo. I always have.

White Peacock
06-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Definitely remember the Blazers of the mid 60s and 70s (...) Just didn't see that same scenario with the Barons; although they put a better brand of hockey onto the ice.[/I][/CENTER]

Actually, the original incarnation of the Blazers and the old-old CHL was about the same caliber (for its time) as the AHL is currently. When they came back as the beer league CHL in '92, that's when they had to rely more heavily on the overall show.

borchard
06-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Actually after the original incarnation of the Blazers, after the original CHL folded, we got The Stars which was basically equivalent to the barons. With the same results, as well.

White Peacock
06-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Actually after the original incarnation of the Blazers, after the original CHL folded, we got The Stars which was basically equivalent to the barons. With the same results, as well.

Well, they were the same league as the OKC Blazers, so they were bound to be the same level of play as a direct farm team for an NHL club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Professional_Hockey_League

borchard
06-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Well, they were the same league as the OKC Blazers, so they were bound to be the same level of play as a direct farm team for an NHL club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Professional_Hockey_League

They were, but I was commenting on the level of interest they created in Oklahoma City. My friend, who grew up here, used to go to Stars games when he was a kid. He said that the only time there was a good crowd was when they would have Penny Beer night. Sounds about like the barons. Even if you look at the original Blazers, their attendance wasn't that incredible, ranging anywhere from 3,500 to 5,000. Only the 92-09 Blazers got the incredible attendance numbers. Who know? Maybe we can't catch lightning in a bottle again. But I sure want to see them try.

Dave Cook
06-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Definitely remember the Blazers of the mid 60s and 70s. Whenever there was a promotion to 'give-away' an automobile; there were 9,000-10,000 people who would pack State Fair Arena. Just didn't see that same scenario with the Barons; although they put a better brand of hockey onto the ice.

Now that we look back on it, just thankful that the NHL passed up OKC in 1997 for Columbus, OH (Bluejackets). We would have the 'NHL' instead of the 'NBA' in OKC. Oklahoma RedHawks would have been the team name.

Thank the Lord Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed the NHL didn't come to Oklahoma City. Would have been an absolute disaster and would have really hurt the city's reputation.

As we've clearly already discussed ad nauseam, there just aren't that many 'hockey' fans in this town.

Go Thunder.

kwhey
06-23-2015, 02:03 AM
I went to a Thunder game. I fell asleep.

OKCretro
06-23-2015, 08:46 AM
I went to a Thunder game. I fell asleep.

Now I know you are lying... they turn up those damn speakers up so high and with those thunder sticks, no way you can fall asleep.

White Peacock
06-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Now I know you are lying... they turn up those damn speakers up so high and with those thunder sticks, no way you can fall asleep.

You underestimate the power of narcolepsy.

kwhey
06-24-2015, 02:13 AM
You also underestimate how boring the game is.

trousers
06-24-2015, 06:57 AM
had you never seen or heard of basketball prior to attending?

borchard
06-24-2015, 09:49 AM
@trousers, it must just be all these "knuckle-dragging okies" who just don't appreciate world-class athletes

kwhey
06-24-2015, 09:49 PM
had you never seen or heard of basketball prior to attending?

Yes, I have. I just find basketball (especially NBA basketball) to be extremely boring. Meaningless baskets during whole game and then it take forever to play the final 2 minutes. Seriously.

kwhey
06-24-2015, 09:50 PM
@trousers, it must just be all these "knuckle-dragging okies" who just don't appreciate world-class athletes

Still butthurt about the knuckle dragging. Lol. Go watch your OKC FC women play before tens of people.

Laramie
06-24-2015, 11:27 PM
If & when an ECHL franchise is granted (relocation or expansion) to OKC; where will they play?

The Cox Convention Center Arena (13,399) is older than the Chesapeake Energy Arena (18,036) (ih capacity). The Peake was originally design suited for ice hockey when OKC was in pursuit of the NHL .

Brad Lund's name has been mentioned as a person to head a group to bring back the Blazers in 2016. Tulsa & Wichita both play in their newer downtown arenas; they frequently use the lower bowl because attendance at those cities average in the neighborhood of 5,000-5,500 which doesn't require upper bowl usage.

Tulsa BOK Center (17,096) Cost: $196 million Opened & completed 2008 - 37 luxury suites
Wichita Intrust Bank Arena (13,450) Cost: $206 million Opened & completed 2010 - 22 suites & 300 premium seats.
Oklahoma City Cox Convention Center Arena (13, 399) Cost: $23 million/$60.2 million upgrades. Opened 1972 Upgrades1999/2010.
Oklahoma City Chesapeake Energy Arena (18,036) Cost: $185 million with NBA upgrades. Opened 2002 & upgraded 2012 - 3,380 club seats & 49 private suites.

borchard
06-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Still butthurt about the knuckle dragging. Lol. Go watch your OKC FC women play before tens of people.

Wow! Now you're making fun of women. You're just a prince, aren't you?
I guess I could check on season tickets for the Baro...Oh yeah, that's right :-)

kwhey
06-26-2015, 03:00 AM
If & when an ECHL franchise is granted (relocation or expansion) to OKC; where will they play?

The Cox Convention Center Arena (13,399) is older than the Chesapeake Energy Arena (18,036) (ih capacity). The Peake was originally design suited for ice hockey when OKC was in pursuit of the NHL .

Brad Lund's name has been mentioned as a person to head a group to bring back the Blazers in 2016. Tulsa & Wichita both play in their newer downtown arenas; they frequently use the lower bowl because attendance at those cities average in the neighborhood of 5,000-5,500 which doesn't require upper bowl usage.

Tulsa BOK Center (17,096) Cost: $196 million Opened & completed 2008 - 37 luxury suites
Wichita Intrust Bank Arena (13,450) Cost: $206 million Opened & completed 2010 - 22 suites & 300 premium seats.
Oklahoma City Cox Convention Center Arena (13, 399) Cost: $23 million/$60.2 million upgrades. Opened 1972 Upgrades1999/2010.
Oklahoma City Chesapeake Energy Arena (18,036) Cost: $185 million with NBA upgrades. Opened 2002 & upgraded 2012 - 3,380 club seats & 49 private suites.

I'm pretty sure the Thunder will make sure no other team plays in that building.

Richard at Remax
06-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Since the City owns the building and they know how important it is having people support businesses downtown/bricktown I wouldn't be surprised if they told the Thunder to let this happen. It would maximize what they are getting out of the CHK as well as making it a better hockey environment. Moving to state fair arena would draw less than the Barons games. It's not an ideal part of town and there is nothing to make a night out of it. I loved going to places in bricktown before Barons games to grab a bite. Can't do that over there.

kwhey
06-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Since the City owns the building and they know how important it is having people support businesses downtown/bricktown I wouldn't be surprised if they told the Thunder to let this happen. It would maximize what they are getting out of the CHK as well as making it a better hockey environment. Moving to state fair arena would draw less than the Barons games. It's not an ideal part of town and there is nothing to make a night out of it. I loved going to places in bricktown before Barons games to grab a bite. Can't do that over there.

The city needs to sack up and not tell the Thunder to let it happen. They need to tell them that it WILL happen. The Thunder don't own the arena (although they like to think they do). They will complain the ice would affect the basketball court (which doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else) and the city will cave to the Thunder.

drinner-okc
06-28-2015, 03:33 PM
I don't know when (or if) it expires, but then the Arena was built the City signed an agreement with SMG (Stadium Management Group) for the Arena, Myriad, and State Fair Arena. SMG makes all final decisions who plays, where.
This was done to put the Arena in a pool with other venues that size to bring in Concerts and other entertainment.
As a Blazer fan that DID NOT want to move to the Arena, we were told SMG's intentions were no more sporting events were going to happen at the Myriad, and SFA. (this was changed for the AHL)
The city charges the Hockey team to convert to ice. the costs for the new arena were nearly 10x what the CHL was originally charged in 92. Bob Funk Sr. told me that himself one night the year before the upper sections were curtained off.
Even though there were no fans on the 3rd level, SMG charged the Blazers for a full crew of ushers & concession stand workers.

borchard
06-30-2015, 03:23 PM
I know SFA is not the sexiest place to have your team, due to many factors. But if you ever saw a Blazers game there back in the day, the sightlines were pretty good. The only REAL problem back then, before hockey mandated the nets go up, was that the seating rises pretty steeply. And if you are sitting behind the goal, you don't have to go very high until your head is above the glass! I saw several people get hit with pucks during games back then. Of course now that is a non-issue, with the advent of the protective netting behind the goals.
I went to a game in Memphis, in the Mid-South Coliseum, and sat in the upper level behind the goal. Turns out, the seats were ABOVE the goal, not so much behind it. The seat next to me got pinged a few times during the game. Makes you REALLY pay attention to the game! :-)

Dubya61
06-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Other than not having an ice-making capability now, I don't understand why the SFA is considered such a non-starter.

OkieHornet
06-30-2015, 08:13 PM
always loved watching the blazers at state fair arena more than any other arena here. had a real "barn" feel to it.

parking was always close, plentiful, and free.

White Peacock
10-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Haven't heard a peep about this in months; pipe dream abandoned?