View Full Version : Best store-bought potato salad

Celebrator
05-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Since we are kicking off Summer this weekend, I thought I would ask which store-bought potato salad you think is the best. I really prefer making my own, but sometimes when you get a last minute BBQ invite you have go pre-made. So let's have some recommendations. I'll take anything from mass-produced/marketed to locally made as long as it's really good. Thanks.

pure
05-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Zoe's Kitchen has good potato salad

foodiefan
05-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Reser's is good for "store-bought". . . .

RadicalModerate
05-22-2015, 02:34 PM
I agree with the Reser's suggestion. Especially if you go with the "Mustard" variety. Extra-especially if you doctor it up a little. (went to Zoe's Kitchen, for the first time, the other day. Didn't have their potato salad . . . but if it's as good as what I DID have, it would beat Reser's by a mile.)

kevinpate
05-22-2015, 03:05 PM
The tater salad at Das Bootcamp in Norman is quite yummy. Not as good as that made by my lovely or my probable DiL, but still very good.

Celebrator
05-22-2015, 03:07 PM
I agree with the Reser's suggestion. Especially if you go with the "Mustard" variety. Extra-especially if you doctor it up a little. (went to Zoe's Kitchen, for the first time, the other day. Didn't have their potato salad . . . but if it's as good as what I DID have, it would beat Reser's by a mile.)

Is Reser's widely available?

RadicalModerate
05-22-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure that I've ever been in a grocery store that didn't carry Reser's products. They have (at least) two varieties of potato salad (again: the Mustard is better, imho) and coleslaw as well. They may even package macaroni salad.

Jersey Boss
05-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Reeser's Red Potato Salad is their best.

Easy180
05-22-2015, 05:31 PM
The potato salad sold at Braum's is pretty tasty

okatty
05-22-2015, 05:49 PM
agree on the zoes suggestion and also Earls has good pot. salad.

Urbanized
05-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Man, there are a lot of things I like at Earl's, but potato salad isn't one of them.

okatty
05-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Really!?!? Wow, we do our own meats and then get their okra, pot salad and a couple of coblers. Then go into a coma.:)

Urbanized
05-22-2015, 09:47 PM
I like their potato salad...after I put a couple of tablespoons of mustard into it. BBQ joint potato salad should be mustard-forward. Amiwrong?

okatty
05-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Think you are right that the good ol southern / grandma styled PS is mustard based. Good idea to add some!

Jeepnokc
05-23-2015, 07:02 AM
I like their potato salad...after I put a couple of tablespoons of mustard into it. BBQ joint potato salad should be mustard-forward. Amiwrong?

Must be made in Neewww....Yoorrkk....Ciiiity

Urbanized
05-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Get a rope.

kevinpate
05-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Tater salad must, must, must be mustard based, and must not have onion in it. Unless my youngest son''s dear lass makes it, and well, who I am to get in the way of young love.

Of course, two reasons to adore the dear lass is she leaves the onion big enough to I can work around it and she doesn't smirk much when I add extra mustard to mine (no sech thang as too much mustard).

Easy180
05-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Tater salad must, must, must be mustard based, and must not have onion in it. Unless my youngest son''s dear lass makes it, and well, who I am to get in the way of young love.

Of course, two reasons to adore the dear lass is she leaves the onion big enough to I can work around it and she doesn't smirk much when I add extra mustard to mine (no sech thang as too much mustard).

Agree with mustard being a must have except when devouring potato salad at the Old Germany Oktoberfest.

Jersey Boss
05-23-2015, 11:21 AM
While some prefer mayo or mustard forward, I am of the opinion that the potatoes are the featured performer. So to me it is critical that the potato has to be either red or yukon gold. Those russetts just get to mealy when cooked for potato salad.

RadicalModerate
05-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Red or Yukon Gold potatoes (cut into 1+" chunks) . . . onion . . . celery . . . pickles . . . (diced red bell pepper) . . . Mayo or Miracle Whip . . . Mustard . . . (pickle juice) . . . salt . . . pepper. Plus thirty minutes. Et voila.

tfvc.org
05-23-2015, 02:46 PM
When I am making it pretty I buy a couple pounds of the baby multicolored potatoes. They don't have to cook long so they hold their shape.

ctchandler
05-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Agree with mustard being a must have except when devouring potato salad at the Old Germany Oktoberfest.

Easy,
German potato salad is the only kind I like. I don't care for mustard. And Old Germany does a nice job in my opinion.
C. T.

Urbanized
05-23-2015, 04:25 PM
I like German potato salad and creamy types of potato salad, just not with BBQ. It's gotta be mustard.

Mr. Cotter
05-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Ingrid's will sell theirs in large quantities. Not strictly a "store," but probably the best PS in town.

corwin1968
05-23-2015, 09:08 PM
No recommendations for store bought but we ate at The Willows at Riverwind today and they had "Ranch potatoes" which was basically a potato salad made with ranch dressing. Might be a good DIY project for the chefs out there. This particular dish had small potatoes sliced in "disks", like most of the German potato salad I've had, some celery and a ranch dressing based sauce. It was by far the best thing we ate off of their buffet.