View Full Version : Biker shootout in Waco

Pages : [1] 2 3

jerrywall
05-18-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm surprised no one started a thread about this yet. Personally, even though I'm a long time rider I've very intentionally avoided MC interaction or participation. I know several folks who are patched members and am close friends with someone who was an officer in a local MC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/19/us/waco-texas-biker-gang-shooting.html

What's especially shocking to me is the shear scope of this incident. I'm hoping this doesn't cause ripples and have consequences throughout Texas, and even in Oklahoma.

I imagine local police forces may start changing how they interact with club members to try to avoid something like this happening here.

Motley
05-18-2015, 04:11 PM
What I am surprised about is how many issues seem to arise in Waco. Is it coincidence or is there something that attracts negative events to Waco?

Urbanized
05-18-2015, 04:29 PM
I think it was mostly a beef between Bandidos, who pretty much claim Texas, and the Cossacks, plus the Scimitars, who are Cossacks supporters. The Cossacks are another longtime Texas club and I think that is a long-running feud as they won't give way to the Bandidos. My question is whether or not there are Cossacks/Scimitars in Oklahoma..? I've never seen them, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I mostly see Bandidos and Outlaws around here, at least when it comes to 1% clubs.

I can tell you this though, the media is portraying the event that precipitated this as a "club meeting," but honestly I think it was just a bike night, which the OKC Twin Peaks locations also feature. In fact I saw an aerial of the scene, and the setup was nearly identical. I think the Texas confederation of clubs and independents talks a bit at that Waco meeting about ongoing legislation, bikers' rights stuff and other things that concern all bikers, all very typical of an event like that. It sounds like there was probably just some sort of altercation that sparked the whole thing with two clubs who hate each other. The Cossacks aren't members of that confederation, BTW.

But my point is that - even though I don't think one of the clubs in this beef is active in Oklahoma - the same kind of thing could happen at another bike night if the right mix of people are there and representing. I think if I ran that Twin Peaks bike night I would think strongly about not allowing colors.

What sucks is that lots of people lump "motorcyclists" into one group of people when something like this happens. In the reporting of this event, for instance, they talk about the "5 participating motorcycle gangs" and list the Leathernecks, who are comprised of active-duty and former Marines. I seriously doubt they were involved with the shooting. They aren't considered one percenters, and in fact active-duty military members would be in BIG trouble with their service branches if participating in a 1% club. I think they, like many other bikers, were probably just horrified bystanders in the whole mess (though surely less TERRIFIED than most).

The Range Rover chase in New York is another example of a few bad apples making the whole group look bad. Heck, even in Bricktown a few years ago they banned a really cool scene that was emerging on the ballpark plaza on weekend nights after a few sportbikes wheelied down Mickey Mantle and the police couldn't catch them. The result? ALL BIKES were banned from the ballpark plaza.

jerrywall
05-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I was incredulous at the claim that this was a CoC type meeting, since I know in Oklahoma these meetings are private and would assume the same to be true in Texas.

BBatesokc
05-18-2015, 05:36 PM
I just find it head-shakingly ridiculous that grown men go out in public in their matching little costumes and fight over some imaginary 'turf.'

I think they've seen one too many episodes of Son's of Anarchy.

Thugs and criminals is all they are. I hope the feds drop the hammer on them and take everything they've got - including their freedom.

I say this as the relative (nephew) of a lifelong biker felon who I once thought was pretty cool when I was al little kid. But as soon as I matured I realized what a joke he was. The problem was that he left a wake of personal destruction in his path.

jerrywall
05-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Well, I wear full leathers and a vest when I ride. I know plenty of folks who are members of riding clubs or groups. I don't see a need to mock what they wear.

Mocking what they do however, is a totally different thing ...

bradh
05-18-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm not a biker but have a couple employees who are really in to it, really involved with the downed bikers group. I hate that something like this tarnishes their group.

Urbanized
05-18-2015, 09:30 PM
I just find it head-shakingly ridiculous that grown men go out in public in their matching little costumes and fight over some imaginary 'turf.'

I think they've seen one too many episodes of Son's of Anarchy...

Don't kid yourself. This was probably about business. As in...$$$$$$

Urban Pioneer
05-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Heck, even in Bricktown a few years ago they banned a really cool scene that was emerging on the ballpark plaza on weekend nights after a few sportbikes wheelied down Mickey Mantle and the police couldn't catch them. The result? ALL BIKES were banned from the ballpark plaza.

Yep. I was in that group. Very disappointed in the cops overreacting.

jerrywall
05-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Are you talking about being able to park up on the bricks?

Hollywood
05-18-2015, 11:19 PM
I think it was mostly a beef between Bandidos, who pretty much claim Texas, and the Cossacks, plus the Scimitars, who are Cossacks supporters. The Cossacks are another longtime Texas club and I think that is a long-running feud as they won't give way to the Bandidos. My question is whether or not there are Cossacks/Scimitars in Oklahoma..? I've never seen them, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I mostly see Bandidos and Outlaws around here, at least when it comes to 1% clubs.

You most likely won't see Cossacks around Oklahoma as they are a Hells Angels support club and the HA won't come into Oklahoma based upon an understanding with the Bandidos.

You will see Bandidos, Outlaws and Mongols along with their support clubs in Oklahoma.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 05:27 AM
Well, I wear full leathers and a vest when I ride. I know plenty of folks who are members of riding clubs or groups. I don't see a need to mock what they wear.

I get your sensitivity to my comments, but, the matching costumes is central to this sort of thug/gang/club mentality.... Had this shootout been between Crips and Bloods and I replied with the same comment (it would apply equally in both cases) I'm guessing you wouldn't have felt an urge to post the response you did because it wouldn't have hit so close to home.

Whether it be middle aged men in their matching little denim/leather vests or youth in their matching red or blue.... when you put many of them together and their groups collide (or heaven forbid someone 'disrespect their colors' they become mindless billy badasses and societal turds.

All of them? Probably not. And even individually many are probably just fine. Its just some sort of social retardation that occurs when they get together in a group. I've even seen it with biker 'clubs' (aka, gangs) that are supposed to be for social good.

But, opinions are most often based on personal experiences and my experiences with grown men playing badass biker is not a positive one. I'm sure other's experiences differ.

Urbanized
05-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Are you talking about being able to park up on the bricks?

No, on the concrete plaza/apron in front of the entrance to Coach's (RIP). Actually more in front of the former Hideaway Pizza pass-through window.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 06:58 AM
I guess we should say the same thing about Boy Scouts, Policemen, Shriners, and Brownies.

There's a reason why the oulaw gangs wear a 1% patch. There are great clubs out there like BACA (bikers against child abuse), the Downed Bikers Association, and various police and military riding clubs.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 06:59 AM
No, on the concrete apron in front of the entrance to Coach's (RIP).

Ah, that's what I meant. I thought that was brick there too. Yeah, I remember that and I remember when it went away. It made Bricktown feel less biker friendly.

Roger S
05-19-2015, 08:30 AM
I think they've seen one too many episodes of Son's of Anarchy.

If the SoA had been there. The body count would have been way higher. :wink:

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 09:20 AM
I guess we should say the same thing about Boy Scouts, Policemen, Shriners, and Brownies.

There's a reason why the oulaw gangs wear a 1% patch. There are great clubs out there like BACA (bikers against child abuse), the Downed Bikers Association, and various police and military riding clubs.

Totally different. Since when have you heard of Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownies or Girl Scouts puffing up and playing 'bad ass'? Surprised you didn't throw in Wal Mart Greeters - they all wear matching blue vests!

Those groups you just mentioned don't exist almost solely to perpetuate an image of bikers and gang members.

Cops are a whole other type of 'gang' that's best left for another thread.

I've personally seen the negative sides of both BACA and Fire & Wind - not just the individuals, but how they can act as a group.

I don't recall this shootout being about who contributed the most donated stuffed animals for some charity...... so, the other groups are not really the focus of this thread - beyond the fact the intentionally mimic the look of thugs.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 09:33 AM
So you're probably one of those with the south park mentality about bikers?

Again, 1% is 1%.

mkjeeves
05-19-2015, 11:35 AM
From the damage control department...after revoking the Waco location franchise agreement,

Twin Peaks has also indefinitely suspended biker events at its 29 company-owned locations and recommended that the 39 franchisees do the same.

Franchise agreement revoked for Waco Twin Peaks (http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2015/05/17/twin-peaks-management-police-deadly-brawl/27505571/)

Jim Kyle
05-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Where does HOG fit into the pattern? While I've never been a biker myself, for some 16 years I had a next-door neighbor who proudly drove his SofTail to work each morning that the weather allowed, always in his leathers and with a bandana on his head rather than a helmet. He was the best neighbor I ever had, and all the folk around here agreed with that. A former SEAL who left the service because he didn't like the person he was becoming, he changed my attitude about bikers forever. As always, it's the individual rather than the stereotype that counts.

There's a very good reason for leathers, and it's NOT to conform to a uniform image (although club insignia, of course, IS). One of the primary ways to escape a critical situation (such as when a car's driver doesn't see you and high-speed collision is imminent) is to lay the bike down, and without the leathers, extensive skin loss to pavement burns is guaranteed. Leather resists such abrasion better than anything else.

Gary's jacket did sport a Harley emblem, but that of his wife (who rode the buddy seat) simply had an airbrush image of their cat, no club affiliation at all. I'm sure that Brian saw the ugliest side of the culture, but that's definitely NOT the whole picture.

Midtowner
05-19-2015, 12:00 PM
These white people need to take charge of their own community. Stop complaining about police overreaction when folks in your own community can't even be within proximity of one another without opening fire. This is unfortunately a culture of violence which permeates the white community. I mean.. where are the fathers in the families? I fear for the white community in Waco. Unfortunately, the National Guard was unavailable to protect the community from itself due to their need to supervise Operation Jade Helm.

--verifying that the abandoned Wal Mart is not really the opening of a tunnel to Mexico/concentration camp is important work, after all.

Bill Robertson
05-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Where does HOG fit into the pattern? HOG is a riding/owners group. $35 a year (I think it is now) and you're a member. That's a basic difference between HOG, etc. and 1% clubs. A riding/owners club lets anyone that pays the fee in and the 1% clubs you are recruited, invited, go through a year or so of being a prospect and then are allowed to wear colors. Some clubs like BACA, Fire & Wind, and many more like them fall somewhere in between. I have to agree with Brian on this one as to how the in-between clubs can act badly. I was very close to being a full-patched member of an in-between service type club and dropped out because they started wanting to look too much like a 1% club for me.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 12:04 PM
So you're probably one of those with the south park mentality about bikers?

Again, 1% is 1%.

At least I'm not naive enough to lump them in with Shriners or Brownies. Hmmm, who's being unrealistic?

Look, I get your perspective is different than mine. No biggie.

Funny how that 1% is the overwhelming public stereotype for the other 99%.

FYI - Funny thing is, the 1% you're portraying is actually the 1% definition created by the police and politicians.

The origin of the 1% has nothing to do with being a criminal. It has to do with the 1% that are 'real' bikers and live that life 24 hours a day. I know this because my POS uncle was one.

mkjeeves
05-19-2015, 12:15 PM
There's a very good reason for leathers, and it's NOT to conform to a uniform image (although club insignia, of course, IS). One of the primary ways to escape a critical situation (such as when a car's driver doesn't see you and high-speed collision is imminent) is to lay the bike down, and without the leathers, extensive skin loss to pavement burns is guaranteed. Leather resists such abrasion better than anything else.

They come in styles and colors other than bad boy biker black, but you wouldn't conform to the other non-conformers if you wore them.

Urbanized
05-19-2015, 12:26 PM
...The origin of the 1% has nothing to do with being a criminal. It has to do with the 1% that are 'real' bikers and live that life 24 hours a day. I know this because my POS uncle was one.

That's not accurate. "1%" came from a statement that the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) supposedly made after the 1947 "Hollister Riot" at an AMA-sanctioned event cast a bad light on motorcyclists in general. The AMA at the time issued a statement saying 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens and only about 1% were outlaws. The "outlaw" clubs (with no AMA affiliation) started proudly referring to themselves as one percenters.

By the way, the Hollister incident itself was wildly blown out of proportion by the media.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Brutal violence at Twin Peaks exposes fault lines in motorcycle world - WacoTrib.com: Biker Gang Shooting (http://www.wacotrib.com/news/twin-peaks-biker-shooting/brutal-violence-at-twin-peaks-exposes-fault-lines-in-motorcycle/article_59737113-c304-5e9e-9509-71bb7800778f.html)

Decent article.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 12:45 PM
At least I'm not naive enough to lump them in with Shriners or Brownies. Hmmm, who's being unrealistic?

Look, I get your perspective is different than mine. No biggie.

Funny how that 1% is the overwhelming public stereotype for the other 99%.

FYI - Funny thing is, the 1% you're portraying is actually the 1% definition created by the police and politicians.

The origin of the 1% has nothing to do with being a criminal. It has to do with the 1% that are 'real' bikers and live that life 24 hours a day. I know this because my POS uncle was one.

You said it...

Whether it be middle aged men in their matching little denim/leather vests or youth in their matching red or blue.... when you put many of them together and their groups collide (or heaven forbid someone 'disrespect their colors' they become mindless billy badasses and societal turds.

Watch out for these gangsters! :P

Seriously, the inability to separate a very small amount of behavior by the extreme minority.. is sort of like the generic Islamic (or Black) stereotyping that goes on. I'd rather judge the morons by their actions and their crimes. Not by what protective gear and patches they choose to wear. Myself, I'm slickback, and don't plan on changing. But I don't begrudge others their affiliations, unless they choose to join a know outlaw group and brand themselves as 1%.

Mel
05-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Or white stereotyping. I don't find it hard to distinguish between clubbing for fun and the clubbing for gang activity. The key is the name and the colors. Now if you can't read or only see in shades of grey, (damn that book for ruining a good reference phrase) then you might be in trouble.

Urbanized
05-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Just want to point several things for the record: there is an actual purpose behind leathers and some of the other accouterments people wear when on motorcycles, and it's usually not necessarily about "looking tough," etc.. In the case of leathers, they are worn for multiple reasons. For one thing, there is pretty much no better top layer if someone is riding in cold weather. Leather absolutely blocks wind, which is super-important any time it's not hot outside, as it is always much cooler/colder on a bike. Even on a day in the 60s or 70s it can be pretty chilly. And with proper layers underneath, plus a few things like winter gloves, insulated boots, a balaclava, etc., you can comfortably ride even in the 20s and 30s (I have many times).

Second, leathers provide the best abrasion resistance in a wreck/slide. It can be the difference between dusting yourself off and getting skin grafts. Armor is also a good idea in case of impact, and lots of leathers incorporate industry-standard armor. Also, black is (or originally was) functional, as it hides grease/oil, bug guts, etc.. Boots provide ankle support. This is important if your bike starts going over. Motorcycles can weigh anywhere from 400 lbs to close to 1000 lbs. Boots also protect your ankles from hot motor parts, etc., and considering where pegs are located that is often important. Most of them also offer specialized non-slip soles, so that you don't put your foot down at an intersection and drop your bike.

All of that said, vests are mostly fashion/club statements. They don't have much purpose beyond that, and were in fact originally denim. There's no question that some go in for the whole wannabe biker look, and in some cases it can get them into trouble. There is a whole set of rules around patches and their display/use, and wearing the wrong thing as a fashion statement can get you into a lot of trouble. In fact, a lot of the Waco shootout seems to center around the fact that some of the Cossacks had started wearing "Texas" on their bottom rockers (the bottom patch in their three piece patches), which was essentially challenging the Bandidos' dominance in the state. I'd just as soon avoid ALL of that mess.

For the record, though I do have one leather jacket, mine hardly looks like what most people would associate with the biker scene, and the rest of my gear ranges from Kevlar-lined cargo pants and jeans to mesh jackets, etc. I'm never without gloves, EVER (why ever vary your tactile relationship with controls?), and always wear a helmet on my bike, though I have been known to not wear one on my scooter (bad idea, I know). In my defense, my scooter riding is generally low-speed, low-traffic, neighborhood riding.

Anyway, my point is that some of what people dismiss as "dress-up" or "tough guy" actually serves a purpose. Of course, I still don't get why someone would care about leathers and then ride without a helmet.

My jacket, FWIW:

http://images2.revzilla.com/product_images/0024/0721/River_Road_Hoodlum_Vintage_Leather_Jacket_detail.j pg

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 02:41 PM
That's not accurate. "1%" came from a statement that the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) supposedly made after the 1947 "Hollister Riot" at an AMA-sanctioned event cast a bad light on motorcyclists in general. The AMA at the time issued a statement saying 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens and only about 1% were outlaws. The "outlaw" clubs (with no AMA affiliation) started proudly referring to themselves as one percenters.

By the way, the Hollister incident itself was wildly blown out of proportion by the media.

Not necessarily.... "...It did not mean that they were law breakers or low life individuals. They were simply men that rode their motorcycles seven days a week in all kinds of weather, liked to drink and raise a little hell. Sometime during the 80’s law enforcement changed the meaning of the 1%er to what they wanted it to represent. It didn’t matter that their meaning was incorrect, they just spoon fed it to the general public and the courts as they had so many other things.

The Outlaws Motorcycle Club is rich in history and tradition. One of those traditions is the wearing of a 1%er patch on our vests and referring to ourselves as a 1%er club. The 1%er definition as we see it is one that explains our commitment to Biking and Brotherhood. We ride our motorcycles every day rain or shine. We ride thousands of miles each year with our Brothers to attend parties, social events, funerals and just plain spending time together. We work, have families and do all the things that our neighbors do. In addition to that we belong to a Brotherhood that we are able to combine with our day to day lives.

To say that 1%er’s are criminals or people of a lesser moral code than the rest of society is a tainted opinion...."

AOA - OUTLAWS MC WORLD *************************************** (http://www.outlawsmcworld.com/index.html)

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 02:44 PM
You said it...

Watch out for these gangsters! :P

Seriously, the inability to separate a very small amount of behavior by the extreme minority.. is sort of like the generic Islamic (or Black) stereotyping that goes on. I'd rather judge the morons by their actions and their crimes. Not by what protective gear and patches they choose to wear. Myself, I'm slickback, and don't plan on changing. But I don't begrudge others their affiliations, unless they choose to join a know outlaw group and brand themselves as 1%.

That's only because you read what your own bias wants you to read.

My original statement...

"I just find it head-shakingly ridiculous that grown men go out in public in their matching little costumes and fight over some imaginary 'turf.':

You conveniently ignored the actual statement and assumed I was saying everyone who wears matching outfits is a criminal. Convenient, but incorrect.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 02:47 PM
And, FYI.... those who know me know that I rode a motorcycle for many years. Got my first one at 14 because I could get a motorcycle license and a job. Gave up riding when I got married because my wife had zero interest in riding one. Yes, I often wore leather for the reasons previously mentioned. Plus, I looked pretty good in leather with my 80's mullet! Think an Albino Fonzi!!!

Jersey Boss
05-19-2015, 02:54 PM
"I just find it head-shakingly ridiculous that grown men go out in public in their matching little costumes and fight over some imaginary 'turf.':

LOL, you could be talking about the Red River Rivalry.

Urbanized
05-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Not necessarily.... "...It did not mean that they were law breakers or low life individuals. They were simply men that rode their motorcycles seven days a week in all kinds of weather, liked to drink and raise a little hell. Sometime during the 80’s law enforcement changed the meaning of the 1%er to what they wanted it to represent. It didn’t matter that their meaning was incorrect, they just spoon fed it to the general public and the courts as they had so many other things.

The Outlaws Motorcycle Club is rich in history and tradition. One of those traditions is the wearing of a 1%er patch on our vests and referring to ourselves as a 1%er club. The 1%er definition as we see it is one that explains our commitment to Biking and Brotherhood. We ride our motorcycles every day rain or shine. We ride thousands of miles each year with our Brothers to attend parties, social events, funerals and just plain spending time together. We work, have families and do all the things that our neighbors do. In addition to that we belong to a Brotherhood that we are able to combine with our day to day lives.

To say that 1%er’s are criminals or people of a lesser moral code than the rest of society is a tainted opinion...."

AOA - OUTLAWS MC WORLD *************************************** (http://www.outlawsmcworld.com/index.html)

Did you INTENTIONALLY leave out the paragraph that appears before all of the other stuff you cut and pasted? It basically says everything I said:

...As we all know the term was first used in the 60’s to describe some of the people that attended the motorcycle events back then. The AMA (American Motorcycle Association) stated that 99% of the people at their events were god fearing and family oriented. The other 1%er were hard riding, hard partying, non mainstream type people. Thus the term 1%er was born. Some of the early bikers embraced the term and decided to call themselves 1%ers...

Pretty much every site you can find - including sites of one percenter clubs - describes the genesis of the term exactly as I did in my post.

Martin
05-19-2015, 03:06 PM
http://www.magnvs.de/pics/flair.jpg

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 03:14 PM
I finding it laughable to be quoting a statement from someone in the Outlaws MC, a known crime organization, that they aren't a criminal organization.

Isn't that sort of like taking a mobsters word that there is no such thing as the mob? No, it's just a social club.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Did you INTENTIONALLY leave out the paragraph that appears before all of the other stuff you cut and pasted? It basically says everything I said:

Pretty much every site you can find - including sites of one percenter clubs - describes the genesis of the term exactly as I did in my post.

You had already stated what was before it. I was showing how the Outlaws perceive the 1% - which is how I described it and how it was described to me growing up.

Not that hard to grasp.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 03:23 PM
I finding it laughable to be quoting a statement from someone in the Outlaws MC, a known crime organization, that they aren't a criminal organization.

Isn't that sort of like taking a mobsters word that there is no such thing as the mob? No, it's just a social club.

How odd - you find it laughable to get information from the source. Its basically their term - but you'd say the definition should only count if it comes from a 3rd party. Makes sense.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 03:24 PM
How odd - you find it laughable to get information from the source. Its basically their term - but you'd say the definition should only count if it comes from a 3rd party. Makes sense.

Yeah, I think I'd trust the AMA and the FBI more than an officer in one of the largest criminal enterprises in the world.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I think I'd trust the AMA and the FBI more than an officer in one of the largest criminal enterprises in the world.

Yeah, because law enforcement would never over exaggerate anything to promote fear, protect their power within society and give them an excuse to militarize. Yeah, very trustworthy!

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah, the Outlaws are just a law abiding group of riding citizens.... Right up there with the Hells Angels doing charity work.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 03:45 PM
So back on the main topic, there are a couple of things I find interesting. One is all the flack that the Twin Peaks is getting. I'm curious what exactly they did or didn't do that they should have, short of either canceling bike nights or banning colors (which would almost be the same). Considering that bike nights are pushed nationally by Twin Peaks, it seems like they are trying hard to put this all on the foot of the one franchise.

The other thing that is interesting is that the local HD shop in Waco is closed indefinitely at the request of the police. Harley shops aren't normally hotbeds of gang activity.

Urbanized
05-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Apparently it wasn't a regular bike night: Twin Peaks franchisee says law enforcement never asked biker event to be cancelled | | Dallas Morning News (http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/twin-peaks-franchisee-says-law-enforcement-never-asked-biker-event-to-be-cancelled.html/)

Also, I think TP has put a halt to all bike nights at corporate locations and is encouraging franchisees to to the same. But I agree, it seems like TP is scapegoating their franchisee. I don't know if banning colors would kill bike nights. I have seen a lot of places online that are listed as "biker-friendly" who also ban colors.

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Oh, I hadn't seen it was just a private booking. So there's a chance the location didn't even know it was a biker event...

As for no colors and bike nights... I think it just depends on the makeup of the area. I've seen rallies and bike nights die out when they implemented a no-colors rule (and if they didn't reverse the policy).

mkjeeves
05-19-2015, 04:10 PM
More of the story...

"There was a planned meeting of one group of biker members," Swanton said, comprising a coalition of invited gangs.

"We know an additional biker gang that was not invited to this meeting showed up," Swanton said, sparking what he called "a turf war."

Biker Shootout Update: 7 Remain In Hospital; Uninvited Gang Had Come To Meeting : The Two-Way : NPR (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/05/19/407953343/biker-shootout-update-7-remain-in-hospital-uninvited-gang-had-come-to-meeting?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fb_ref=Default)

jerrywall
05-19-2015, 04:27 PM
I know its technically the correct phrase but I hate when they use "turf war" to describe this. It makes it sound like a rumble between the jets and sharks.

mkjeeves
05-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Apparently it wasn't a regular bike night: Twin Peaks franchisee says law enforcement never asked biker event to be cancelled | | Dallas Morning News (http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/twin-peaks-franchisee-says-law-enforcement-never-asked-biker-event-to-be-cancelled.html/)

Also, I think TP has put a halt to all bike nights at corporate locations and is encouraging franchisees to to the same. But I agree, it seems like TP is scapegoating their franchisee. I don't know if banning colors would kill bike nights. I have seen a lot of places online that are listed as "biker-friendly" who also ban colors.

Quite a contrast in stories between that one and this one:

Sunday's shootout that left nine people dead at the Waco Twin Peaks could have been prevented by management at that restaurant, according to Waco police.

Sgt. Patrick Swanton said Waco police knew before Sunday that there would be trouble at the restaurant and had 18 local police officers plus four DPS troopers at the scene before the fighting began. Waco police had attempted to work with management at the local Twin Peaks before, but the restaurant refused.

Police also contacted the restaurant chain's national office about their concerns.

Twin Peaks spokesman Rick Van Warner told News 8 the company then contacted the franchise owner and warned him. However, because the franchisee is the actual owner of the restaurant, they could not force him to do anything specific.

Twin Peaks national office confirmed Monday that they immediately revoked the franchise agreement with the owner of the Waco location.

"Unfortunately the management team of the franchised restaurant in Waco chose to ignore the warnings and advice from both the police and our company, and did not uphold the high security standards we have in place to ensure everyone is safe at our restaurants," said Twin Peaks spokesman Rick Van Warner in a statement. "We will not tolerate the actions of this relatively new franchisee and are immediately revoking their franchise agreement. Our sympathies continue to be with the families of those who died and are very thankful no employees, guests, police officers or bystanders were hurt or injured."

Van Warner told News 8 that Twin Peaks location opened in August 2014 and that it will "not open again as a Twin Peaks restaurant." He said the restaurant chain was no "reviewing everything," including changing the language in the franchise agreements to give the national office more control in situations like the one with authorities in Waco.

Twin Peaks has also indefinitely suspended biker events at its 29 company-owned locations and recommended that the 39 franchisees do the same.

Sgt. Swanton reiterated the department's feeling in a Monday morning news conference, saying the local restaurant's statement - in which they said local police were their "partners" and that they were cooperating with the investigation - was a "complete fabrication."

Franchise agreement revoked for Waco Twin Peaks (http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2015/05/17/twin-peaks-management-police-deadly-brawl/27505571/)

Prunepicker
05-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Don't kid yourself. This was probably about business. As in..$$$
And it's been going on long before son's of anarchy appeared on tv.

Bill Robertson
05-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Oh, I hadn't seen it was just a private booking. So there's a chance the location didn't even know it was a biker event...

As for no colors and bike nights... I think it just depends on the makeup of the area. I've seen rallies and bike nights die out when they implemented a no-colors rule (and if they didn't reverse the policy).I don't think a no colors policy would make a dent in the OKC Twin Peaks bike nights. I go often and almost never see colors. A couple of years ago there was one manager at the north location that was apparently pretty friendly with the Bandidos and Malvados and you saw a few of them fairly often in the store. He's gone and they have been since also. I saw a couple of Bandidos one night, not a bike night, last fall and haven't seen any since.

kelroy55
05-20-2015, 06:26 AM

I try to not mock them at all. I know a few Bandidos and occasionally have a few beers with them but that's about as much I have to do with any 1% club/gang. I don't condone what happened but the 'turf' thing is very real and the Cossacks knew all along wearing a bottom rocker was going to cause problems. As far as "grown men go out in public in their matching little costumes and fight over some imaginary 'turf.', that turf is very real to them and mocking them probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

kelroy55
05-20-2015, 06:38 AM
I don't think a no colors policy would make a dent in the OKC Twin Peaks bike nights. I go often and almost never see colors. A couple of years ago there was one manager at the north location that was apparently pretty friendly with the Bandidos and Malvados and you saw a few of them fairly often in the store. He's gone and they have been since also. I saw a couple of Bandidos one night, not a bike night, last fall and haven't seen any since.

I used to go to the TP bike nights in OKC all the time too and it's sad they are going to shut them down.

jerrywall
05-20-2015, 07:52 AM
I don't think a no colors policy would make a dent in the OKC Twin Peaks bike nights. I go often and almost never see colors. A couple of years ago there was one manager at the north location that was apparently pretty friendly with the Bandidos and Malvados and you saw a few of them fairly often in the store. He's gone and they have been since also. I saw a couple of Bandidos one night, not a bike night, last fall and haven't seen any since.

The trouble is places that implement no colors policies often don't differentiate between MCs, RCs, and social clubs. Basically no patches, 1, 2, or 3 piece. It can burn some bridges. I do agree with the OKC twin peaks. A sharp contrast though is the bike night at Fort Thunder.

Urbanized
05-20-2015, 08:31 AM
It's funny, I never go to any of those events because I stand out like a turd in a punch bowl, with lots of looks of "what are YOU doing here" if I'm noticed at all. Very few people at those things know or care anything about the bike I ride. I mostly just go to BLHOT (https://www.facebook.com/BLHOT) events, as it's a bunch of guys who collect old (and new) British and other assorted oddball bikes. We have very few turf battles, and almost no shootings whatsoever.

mkjeeves
05-20-2015, 08:39 AM
We have very few turf battles, and almost no shootings whatsoever.

You're dressing all wrong for that.

https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10676349_718598481526721_834926139389702224_n.jpg? oh=894b1157a87d66a08e0dc8b8fa02fb46&oe=55D124D2

My neighbor is a Triumph collector. Has a building full of them.

Urbanized
05-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I ride with the guys in that photo. Larry, the guy in the kilt, organizes most BLHOT rides, meetings, etc. The kilts always come out for special occasions. I'll pass, LOL.

jerrywall
05-20-2015, 08:50 AM
It's funny, I never go to any of those events because I stand out like a turd in a punch bowl, with lots of looks of "what are YOU doing here" if I'm noticed at all. Very few people at those things know or care anything about the bike I ride. I mostly just go to BLHOT (https://www.facebook.com/BLHOT) events, as it's a bunch of guys who collect old (and new) British and other assorted oddball bikes. We have very few turf battles, and almost no shootings whatsoever.

Heh... one of the pics on that facebook page was taken by my boss' wife.

jerrywall
05-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I ride with the guys in that photo. Larry, the guy in the kilt, organizes most BLHOT rides, meetings, etc. The kilts always come out for special occasions. I'll pass, LOL.

I own a couple of kilts. I'd never wear one to ride though.

mkjeeves
05-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Speaking of turf wars and the topic....here's part of what's been going on leading up to the shootout.

The shootout in Waco that killed nine motorcycle gang members had its origins in violence that erupted in the weeks before Christmas, with a beating at a Toys for Tots event in Wise County and a murder in Fort Worth, according to law enforcement sources.

Waco Shootout Linked to North Texas Attacks | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Waco-Shootout-Linked-to-North-Texas-Attacks-304170711.html)

Bill Robertson
05-20-2015, 09:03 AM
The trouble is places that implement no colors policies often don't differentiate between MCs, RCs, and social clubs. Basically no patches, 1, 2, or 3 piece. It can burn some bridges. I do agree with the OKC twin peaks. A sharp contrast though is the bike night at Fort Thunder.True. Fort Thunder and some others it would kill.

Bill Robertson
05-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I ride with the guys in that photo. Larry, the guy in the kilt, organizes most BLHOT rides, meetings, etc. The kilts always come out for special occasions. I'll pass, LOL.Please tell me if they ride with them they have something on underneath. LOL