View Full Version : OKC/Edmond/Guthrie options for rabbit processing?

BBatesokc
05-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Not having any luck finding a local butcher/processing facility where someone can take their own fryer rabbits to be processed for consumption.

It's a fairly easy process, but one I really don't want to do myself on an ongoing basis. We've butchered our own turkeys before.

Anyone know of such a facility that would handle small wild game in relatively small quantities?

Urbanized
05-16-2015, 10:01 AM
The only good thing about butchering rabbit is that it doesn't smell nearly as bad as squirrel. That said, both are delicious.

Urbanized
05-16-2015, 10:03 AM
^^^^^^^
Quite possibly the most hillbilly thing I've ever posted on this board.

Roger S
05-16-2015, 11:12 AM
You might check with this meat processor..... Country Home Meat Co (http://www.countryhomemeats.com/about_us.htm)

RadicalModerate
05-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Ever heard of Brunswick Stew?

From Wikipedia: "Recipes for Brunswick stew vary greatly, but it is usually a tomato-based stew, containing various types of lima beans/butter beans, corn, okra, and other vegetables, and one or more types of meat. Most recipes claiming authenticity call for squirrel, opossum or rabbit meat, but chicken, pork, and beef are also common meats. Some versions have a distinctly smoky taste. Eastern North Carolina Brunswick Stew has potatoes, which thickens it considerably. Eastern Virginia Brunswick Stew tends to be thinner, with more tomato flavor and less smoky flavor.

"The stew essentially resembles a very thick vegetable soup with meat. The key distinguishing factor between soup and Brunswick stew is the consistency. Brunswick stew must be thick; otherwise, it would be vegetable soup with meat added. Most variations have more meat and vegetables than liquid.

"The main differences between the Georgia and Virginia versions have been the types of meat used. The Virginia version tends to favor chicken as the primary meat, along with rabbit. The Georgia version tends to favor pork and beef. As there is no "official" recipe for Brunswick stew, it is possible to find chicken, pork, beef, and other types of meat included in the same recipe. North Carolina natives have been known for their unique concoction, similarly thick and tomato based, using chicken-breast chunks and pulled Eastern North Carolina–style barbecue (pork) as the meat."

I think the Clampett Clan perfered the 'possum version.

Bon Appetit!

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 09:31 AM
You might check with this meat processor..... Country Home Meat Co (http://www.countryhomemeats.com/about_us.htm)

Thanks. Unfortunately they don't process rabbits and don't know anyone that does.

Klop
05-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Not having any luck finding a local butcher/processing facility where someone can take their own fryer rabbits to be processed for consumption.

It's a fairly easy process, but one I really don't want to do myself on an ongoing basis. We've butchered our own turkeys before.

Anyone know of such a facility that would handle small wild game in relatively small quantities?

Man up. You can do it yourself.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Man up. You can do it yourself.

Oh, I know "I can" - Like I said. I just have no desire to do it on a regular basis.

Wambo36
05-19-2015, 02:27 PM
You might check the ones that specialize in wild game processing. I know the one we've used for deer can't process beef, for the public, due to the prohibitive cost of the cleaning that would be required to pass inspection after processing wild game. I assume you're talking about domestic rabbits but it's worth a shot.

BBatesokc
05-19-2015, 02:36 PM
I think I found an individual who is willing to work a trade. I don't require much meat (we are not big meat eaters these days) and plan on producing more than I need. He'll process so many for me and then work a deal to buy what I don't need. Should cover all my costs and then some. The only commercial processor I could find was in Chickasha.

Jersey Boss
05-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Might check with this guy.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/0/40/166043-86004-elmer-fudd.jpg

Zorba
05-19-2015, 08:11 PM
I think I found an individual who is willing to work a trade. I don't require much meat (we are not big meat eaters these days) and plan on producing more than I need. He'll process so many for me and then work a deal to buy what I don't need. Should cover all my costs and then some. The only commercial processor I could find was in Chickasha.

If you aren't big meat eaters, what is the point of raising your own? I am pretty sure Crest sells rabbits.

BBatesokc
05-20-2015, 09:48 AM
If you aren't big meat eaters, what is the point of raising your own? I am pretty sure Crest sells rabbits.

And I have zero idea what conditions those rabbits were raised under and what was put into their bodies.

I can raise rabbits for virtually no cost (got our first breeders with supplies for free off Craigslist). They provide excellent free fertilizer for our 5 4'x12' raised gardens. We find it enjoyable to raise them and they are low maintenance. And, best of all, they pay their own keep (in fertilizer/meat) and I know exactly what conditions the meat was harvested and what it ingested.

Since moving to a few acres we now have the ability to be a bit more self-sustaining, consciences about our health, etc. Got the garden for fruit/veggies, have planted 6 dwarf fruit trees, have the rabbits, and even have a flock of Guineas that stay pretty much in our yard and provide eggs and excellent weed, tick and bug control. So much so, we no longer have to spray the yard with chemicals.

Just trying to be a bit more in the realm of conservers as opposed to consumers. The biggest benefit is cost savings and a health, active lifestyle.

Zorba
05-20-2015, 09:37 PM
And I have zero idea what conditions those rabbits were raised under and what was put into their bodies.

I can raise rabbits for virtually no cost (got our first breeders with supplies for free off Craigslist). They provide excellent free fertilizer for our 5 4'x12' raised gardens. We find it enjoyable to raise them and they are low maintenance. And, best of all, they pay their own keep (in fertilizer/meat) and I know exactly what conditions the meat was harvested and what it ingested.

Since moving to a few acres we now have the ability to be a bit more self-sustaining, consciences about our health, etc. Got the garden for fruit/veggies, have planted 6 dwarf fruit trees, have the rabbits, and even have a flock of Guineas that stay pretty much in our yard and provide eggs and excellent weed, tick and bug control. So much so, we no longer have to spray the yard with chemicals.

Just trying to be a bit more in the realm of conservers as opposed to consumers. The biggest benefit is cost savings and a health, active lifestyle.

That all makes sense. Are your rabbits free range? I have friends in Branson that raise rabbits, but they are raised in the garage.

How are guinea eggs? Pretty much the same as chicken?

BBatesokc
05-21-2015, 04:42 AM
That all makes sense. Are your rabbits free range? I have friends in Branson that raise rabbits, but they are raised in the garage.

How are guinea eggs? Pretty much the same as chicken?

Looked into free range rabbits and saw too many pitfalls (allocation of land, predators, containment issues, disease, clean up, etc.). If my land was laid out different I would definitely construct a barn and put the rabbits in there and build a Guinea shelter for night use. Guinea eggs (and meat for that matter) are very tasty. Problem with the eggs is Guineas are seasonal layers and unless you coop them basically 24/7 you have to engage in a daily easter egg hunt to find them. We have a Guinea right now sitting on 21 eggs. I candled them and they look ready to go. I'm getting ready to raid the nest and place them on our incubator to hopefully get a much better survival rate (they are not very good parents). We have another that is sitting on eggs somewhere, but we haven't found the nest yet. I'm considering building a Guinea shelter in the trees to keep them safer. We loose them pretty regularly to owls, hawks, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, etc. because they free range 24/7 and nest in either our trees or our neighbors.

I'd like to have a large enough flock that we could raise some for meat purposes. But, honestly, 5-12 is all our lot size and neighbors can handle. You'd need to coop your meat ones in my opinion. They can be pretty noisy (especially in a coop), but once they get used to you they stay pretty quiet until a stranger or hawk shows up.

I've converted a lot of friends into Guinea fans. If you've got a larger lot and friendly neighbors, they are an excellent addition to your yard.

oklip955
05-21-2015, 07:02 AM
I have guineas also. I keep my guineas and chickens in a hen house due to the hawks and other predators. Sure guineas are seasonal but you get an egg almost every day. I had a strange thing happen the other day, I have 3 hens and found 7 eggs over the course of the day. I never thought that possible. Usually just get my 3 daily. I have a guinea cock in with them but have friends trying to hatch the eggs in an incubator with not much success. If you build a coop, make sure its tight and also dig a footing since critters can and will dig to try to get to them.

oklip955
05-21-2015, 07:02 AM
I don't have to worry about neighbors since I don't have any that are close by.

positano
05-21-2015, 07:16 AM
My apologies for diverging from the topic, but do you mind if I ask what kind of dwarf fruit trees? Do you have a greenhouse, or do they withstand the weather extremes without severe problems?

TU 'cane
05-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Quick question that I think you've already semi-answered:

Are you raising your own domesticated rabbits? If not, I would have to ask why you are eating wild rabbits so late in the season?

ctchandler
05-21-2015, 02:04 PM
BBatesokc,
There are some pitfalls with raising rabbits. One, if they are in cages, they probably need their nails cut monthly, otherwise, the nails will curve around into their foot, and two, the mothers will kill the babies so you have to separate them very quickly. You probably knew this, I just thought I would mention it.
C. T.

BBatesokc
05-21-2015, 06:55 PM
My apologies for diverging from the topic, but do you mind if I ask what kind of dwarf fruit trees? Do you have a greenhouse, or do they withstand the weather extremes without severe problems?

The lemon and lime have to be kept inside in the winter. We have a large mud room now, but have a nice greenhouse being delivered soon.

The others are in the ground; cherry, peach, plum, apple.

Home Depot and Lowes get varieties of dwarf, semi-dwarf and full size fruit trees. Some need a pollinating cousin tree and some do not.

We are hoping to add a bee hive later this year or next spring.

BBatesokc
05-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Quick question that I think you've already semi-answered:

Are you raising your own domesticated rabbits? If not, I would have to ask why you are eating wild rabbits so late in the season?

Caged New Zealand, California and combinations of the two for meat.

BBatesokc
05-21-2015, 07:01 PM
BBatesokc,
There are some pitfalls with raising rabbits. One, if they are in cages, they probably need their nails cut monthly, otherwise, the nails will curve around into their foot, and two, the mothers will kill the babies so you have to separate them very quickly. You probably knew this, I just thought I would mention it.
C. T.

I've found if you use the smaller (baby bunny proof) wire in the bottom of the cages and up the sides a couple of inches that the nails have more opportunity for traction/friction to help keep them trimmed. Also depends on the breed. But trimming from time to time is necessary to keep from getting scratched so badly while handling them. I've only rarely had mother's kill their babies and it was usually with a new mother.