View Full Version : Boston Marathon Bomber sentenced to death.

Prunepicker
05-15-2015, 02:09 PM
From CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boston-marathon-bomber-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-sentencing/?tag=nl.e879&s_cid=e879&ttag=e879&ftag=TREcd0eead)
A jury sentenced Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death Friday for the Boston Marathon
bombing (http://www.cbsnews.com/boston-bombings/), sweeping aside pleas that he was just a "kid" who fell under the influence
of his fanatical older brother.

Mel
05-15-2015, 02:22 PM
I do believe in the DP in horrific cases like this. The down side is he will be made a "martyr" that the bad guys will use as recruitment material.

Achilleslastand
05-15-2015, 02:24 PM
Good riddance to him as well as the loons that defended him.

Jeepnokc
05-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Good riddance to him as well as the loons that defended him.

Are you referring to his legal counsel that stood up and defended a person presumed innocent and held the government to their burden under the Constitution? People may not realize that it is the criminal defense bar that protects their everyday freedoms under the Constitution.

Paseofreak
05-15-2015, 02:47 PM
^^^^^!
I get so very tired of hearing defense attorneys slammed for defending people accused of atrocious crimes as if they condoned and supported their clients actions. Comment sections drive me crazy! We are surrounded by idiots.

jerrywall
05-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Are you referring to his legal counsel that stood up and defended a person presumed innocent and held the government to their burden under the Constitution? People may not realize that it is the criminal defense bar that protects their everyday freedoms under the Constitution.

I assumed by the use of "loons" he was referring to those out there that either thought he was innocent or a hero of some sort (not that I saw any of the latter).

For example - the folks who put up and signed this petition -

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/22/petition-obama-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-wrongfully-accuse/

Jeepnokc
05-15-2015, 03:01 PM
That's what I am hoping and not his legal team.

zookeeper
05-15-2015, 06:51 PM
I was disappointed in the decision. I understand the desire to seek the worst possible punishment and that some people see death as that worst possible punishment. But death happens to everyone, his will just be sooner than the average lifespan. Tragic deaths happen every day. That doesn't mean they were "punished." To me, the worst possible punishment - especially at his age - would be life in Supermax in Colorado (which was the other option given to the jury).

Boston Bomber Tsarnaev Faces Prison Hell if He Escapes Execution (http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/boston-bombing-trial/federal-supermax-prison-n353846)

How Tsarnaev will live, if he’s sentenced to life (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2015/04/09/how-tsarnaev-will-live-lives/76emAU2RNeUxfSDt4POHwJ/story.html)

Some things are worse than death. The above is a perfect example. Of course, like us all, he will eventually get death as well. ADX, to me, is far worse in preventing anybody else with similar ideas.

Jeepnokc
05-15-2015, 11:19 PM
I was disappointed in the decision. I understand the desire to seek the worst possible punishment and that some people see death as that worst possible punishment. But death happens to everyone, his will just be sooner than the average lifespan. Tragic deaths happen every day. That doesn't mean they were "punished." To me, the worst possible punishment - especially at his age - would be life in Supermax in Colorado (which was the other option given to the jury).

Boston Bomber Tsarnaev Faces Prison Hell if He Escapes Execution (http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/boston-bombing-trial/federal-supermax-prison-n353846)

How Tsarnaev will live, if he’s sentenced to life (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2015/04/09/how-tsarnaev-will-live-lives/76emAU2RNeUxfSDt4POHwJ/story.html)

Some things are worse than death. The above is a perfect example. Of course, like us all, he will eventually get death as well. ADX, to me, is far worse in preventing anybody else with similar ideas.

Well said. As a caveat....I believe that civilized nations do not kill people regardless of the crime.

Chadanth
05-17-2015, 05:41 PM

It's pretty likely he will spend decades there anyway, it's statistically rare for federal death penalties to be carried out.

Mel
05-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Through him in general pop. Problem solved.

Dessert Fox
05-17-2015, 06:15 PM

You realize that it's basically a game to defense attorneys most of the time right? They do everything they can to get their clients out of prison.

We know this man did it, correct? We know this for sure, correct? Then why should we listen to some attorney tell us he was influenced by his big brother? He is guilty of the crime and nobody denies that.

The defense of confirmed criminals is not what keeps America free.

hoya
05-17-2015, 06:25 PM
You realize that it's basically a game to defense attorneys most of the time right? They do everything they can to get their clients out of prison.

We know this man did it, correct? We know this for sure, correct? Then why should we listen to some attorney tell us he was influenced by his big brother? He is guilty of the crime and nobody denies that.

You clearly have no idea whose post you were responding to. And I can say without doubt that you are wrong in every way possible.

Dessert Fox
05-17-2015, 06:29 PM
You clearly have no idea whose post you were responding to. And I can say without doubt that you are wrong in every way possible.

Thanks for the detailed argument about how I'm wrong. I know it might not be possible, but could you go further in depth about how I am?

Paseofreak
05-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Oh boy! I'm gonna keep my mouth shut for a bit lest I get put in time out for pointing out glaring ignorance in an impolite way.

tfvc.org
05-17-2015, 07:13 PM

Let me introduce you to the 6th amendment to the US constitution:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

The defense of confirmed criminals is what keeps America free.

hoya
05-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the detailed argument about how I'm wrong. I know it might not be possible, but could you go further in depth about how I am?

Perhaps you could first share with me where you got this idea:

Paseofreak
05-17-2015, 07:37 PM
See what happens when you don't pay attention in high school Civics class?

Jeepnokc
05-18-2015, 06:58 AM

Can you point to one single Supreme Court Case where the prosecution argued that a search or seizure was a violation of a person's constitutional rights. The reason the police can not randomly stop you driving down the street or just go out and start searching people and houses is because of the fight that defense attorneys fight every day to stop the government from over reaching. The constitution means nothing if there is not a way to enforce it.

Dustin
05-18-2015, 09:29 AM
He's a martyr. I wouldn't give him what he wants.

He should spend 23 hours a day in solitary confinement in the smallest cell possible for the rest of his life...