View Full Version : New gun bill puts WCWS, other OKC events, in peril

adaniel
05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
This should probably be posted in the politics section; however, given the huge implications of this on OKC I am leaving this here.

Oklahoma proposed bill would prevent businesses from banning guns at certain events | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-proposed-bill-would-prevent-businesses-from-banning-guns-at-certain-events/article/5416843)

The measure would imperil national shows, athletic competitions and concerts that pump hundreds millions of dollars into the economy, said Roy Williams, president and chief executive officer of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber. Businesses that run these events often contractually require that guns be banned.

“It could literally kill dozens, dozens and dozens of regional and national events,” said Williams, who is urging the governor to veto it.

Left out of this story but included in the AP article was that the city's 20 year contract with the Womens College World Series specifically states that firearms are prohibited at the venue. So this law would make that portion illegal.

Once again, the state legislature is at it again and they are about to screw OKC over big time. You folks in OKC need to call the governor's office, the chamber cannot do it alone.

kevinpate
05-07-2015, 10:58 AM
I can not feign surprise any more. Even if Fallin vetoes, it appears enough votes to override exist.

- itsgoodtobeahermit

bradh
05-07-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm pro-gun, but gun advocacy groups (and many other special interest groups as well) are so narrow sighted

Of Sound Mind
05-07-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm pro-gun, but gun advocacy groups (and many other special interest groups as well) are so narrow sighted
Ditto, which is why I dropped memberships to them all.

HangryHippo
05-07-2015, 11:07 AM

I'm all for people being able to purchase the guns they want to purchase for home defense and recreation. That being said, holy ****. Why in the hell do they have to be taken everywhere? Why can't they just be left in the car during an event?

bchris02
05-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Oklahoma Republicans truly only believe in unrestricted liberty when it comes to gun rights. Anything else, be it who you love, what you drink, or what you smoke, they want to control. They not only want to control Oklahomans but they want to spend millions to force other states to do it their way as well. While I am personally pro-gun, the hypocrisy of the legislators angers me.

bchris02
05-07-2015, 11:27 AM
I'm all for people being able to purchase the guns they want to purchase for home defense and recreation. That being said, holy ****. Why in the hell do they have to be taken everywhere? Why can't they just be left in the car during an event?

They don't. This is to pander to the ultra-conservative base in this state.

hoya
05-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Oklahoma Republicans truly only believe in unrestricted liberty when it comes to gun rights. Anything else, be it who you love, what you drink, or what you smoke, they want to control. They not only want to control Oklahomans but they want to spend millions to force other states to do it their way as well. While I am personally pro-gun, the hypocrisy of the legislators angers me.

Not all Republicans (or Democrats) are the same. Even in Oklahoma.

The perception amongst our legislators is that all Oklahoma Republicans are ultra religious gun lovers who fear Obama and love big business. That is not the case, however.

okatty
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
One word - SCARY

Actually there are more words but that one was tops on my initial gut reaction list.

adaniel
05-07-2015, 12:53 PM
The more I digest this the angrier I get. Stuff like this is causing me to slowly give up on Oklahoma.

This law was passed in response to the fiasco with the Norman Music Festival. That was only 2 or 3 weeks ago. So in less than 3 weeks, the legislature has had full hearing and vote on a major, controversial bill that has the potential to torpedo several high profile events in OKC so said group of folks can satisfy the gun lobby, with nary a peep from the local media until it has reached the governor's desk. And if you think Mary Fallin has the backbone to go against this, then I've got beachfront property in Guymon to sell you.

My question is: where is the mayor? Where is the council? Why is the chamber only now speaking out? Do people in OKC even care any more? Maybe I am just looking at this from an outsider perspective now, but its just disgusting to me that these laws that keep coming out of the state house that have the ability to hurt OKC and the people who are in charge don't say a word until its too late. Its all just incredibly frustrating. I wonder why I care at this point.

kevinpate
05-07-2015, 01:00 PM
... Why can't they just be left in the car during an event?

Why, my dear Bard, it's because the 2nd Amendment did not limit folk to the right to store arms in the glove box, nor the trunk, nor under the seat. Nay, it bestowed the right to bear arms. How's anyone going to know just how precious that right is to someone if they must take their firearm off any more often than Marshal Dillon removed his hat.

:)

Jersey Boss
05-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Not all Republicans (or Democrats) are the same. Even in Oklahoma.

The perception amongst our legislators is that all Oklahoma Republicans are ultra religious gun lovers who fear Obama and love big business. That is not the case, however.
But if the legislators run on this, and get reelected by double digit margins, why should they change?

BoulderSooner
05-07-2015, 01:27 PM
In reading the actually bill. I don't see what the big deal is here. In no way does this jeopardize the wcws or their ability to restrict guns.

Jersey Boss
05-07-2015, 01:34 PM
The big deal is that the State Fair, Chesapeake Arena, BOK Center and any other public venue under municipal authority would no longer be able to restrict admission based on someone coming in that is packing. It is a big deal.

BoulderSooner
05-07-2015, 01:47 PM
The bill would not restrict the peake bok or buildings at the fairgrounds from excluding guns. Nor the wcws.

onthestrip
05-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Lets hope Mary sides with her financial backers on this one, the state chamber, and vetoes this unnecessary and potentially economically harming bill.

Jersey Boss
05-07-2015, 02:02 PM
The bill would not restrict the peake bok or buildings at the fairgrounds from excluding guns. Nor the wcws.

The fellow who runs the fair itself disagrees with your interpretation:

Tim O’Toole, president and chief executive of Oklahoma State Fair Inc., opposes the bill.

“The city of Oklahoma City has worked extremely hard and invested millions to upgrade facilities to create national and international horse show events and those events in turn create a tremendous amount of jobs in tourism and hospitality industry,” he said. “I have serious reservations of those events’ willingness to come to family-oriented venues if we allow handguns in.

“This legislation would appear to severely impede our rights to operate our business as we see fit.”

Cleveland County District Judge Thad Balkman ruled that the city couldn't give up control of public sidewalks and streets to music festival organizers, and because it is public land, a ban on licensed gun carriers could not be enforced.

Is the WCWS, Cheasapeake Arena, BOK Center, State Fairgrounds public land?
Show me where in the bill that when a city leases out its property to a private entity, the private entity can ban guns at its event.

king183
05-07-2015, 02:25 PM
The more I digest this the angrier I get. Stuff like this is causing me to slowly give up on Oklahoma.

This law was passed in response to the fiasco with the Norman Music Festival. That was only 2 or 3 weeks ago. So in less than 3 weeks, the legislature has had full hearing and vote on a major, controversial bill that has the potential to torpedo several high profile events in OKC so said group of folks can satisfy the gun lobby, with nary a peep from the local media until it has reached the governor's desk. And if you think Mary Fallin has the backbone to go against this, then I've got beachfront property in Guymon to sell you.

My question is: where is the mayor? Where is the council? Why is the chamber only now speaking out? Do people in OKC even care any more? Maybe I am just looking at this from an outsider perspective now, but its just disgusting to me that these laws that keep coming out of the state house that have the ability to hurt OKC and the people who are in charge don't say a word until its too late. Its all just incredibly frustrating. I wonder why I care at this point.

There was no hearing on this. This was an amendment to a bill at the last possible minute by Kevin Calvey (the guy who said he would set himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court). SO, don't get so frustrated with the mayor, council, etc. It wasn't like this went through the entire committee and hearing process, which would have allowed public input. The NRA didn't even request this. Calvey just wanted to grandstand at the last minute to show how pro-gun he is. I'm betting the governor vetoes on the grounds that the law is too vague.

bradh
05-07-2015, 02:32 PM
He's my new rep, I'd like to drop him a letter and let him know he's an embarrassment to practical conservatives of his district.

BoulderSooner
05-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Thanks for citing a news article. And that was a judges determination. So are you saying right now I can take a gun on any public owned land. Because that is not what that case is about.

Read the law. City designated park recreational area and fair ground. Period. This are excluded. Not buildings and clearly not the wscs or the peake or bok

bradh
05-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks for citing a news article. And that was a judges determination. So are you saying right now I can take a gun on any public owned land. Because that is not what that case is about.

Read the law. City designated park recreational area and fair ground. Period. This are excluded. Not buildings and clearly not the wscs or the peake or bok

English, do you speak it?

hoya
05-07-2015, 02:39 PM
He's my new rep, I'd like to drop him a letter and let him know he's an embarrassment to practical conservatives of his district.

I met him years and years ago. Seemed a nice, middle of the road conservative back then. Don't know why the sudden need to go super-conservative.

bradh
05-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Fine, it doesn't cover buildings. Park area and fairgrounds should be enough, there will be events the fairgrounds will lose.

BoulderSooner
05-07-2015, 03:06 PM
And acording to the judges ruling you just cited they might not have been able to stop that anyway.

Edgar
05-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Reap what you sow. Republicans have been wet nursing the wingnuts for a long time to serve their self interests. Too late to beat the creation back into the basement.

king183
05-11-2015, 04:47 PM
There was no hearing on this. This was an amendment to a bill at the last possible minute by Kevin Calvey (the guy who said he would set himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court). SO, don't get so frustrated with the mayor, council, etc. It wasn't like this went through the entire committee and hearing process, which would have allowed public input. The NRA didn't even request this. Calvey just wanted to grandstand at the last minute to show how pro-gun he is. I'm betting the governor vetoes on the grounds that the law is too vague.

Governor Fallin has vetoed this bill.

Jersey Boss
05-11-2015, 09:03 PM
It appears that Mary displayed some sense in listening to interests outside of the House and Senate.
Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin vetoes bill that would have hindered the ability of businesses to ban guns at events held at parks, recreational areas and fairgrounds | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-gov.-mary-fallin-vetoes-bill-that-would-have-hindered-the-ability-of-businesses-to-ban-guns-at-events-held-at-parks-recreational-areas-and-fairgrounds/article/5418084)

Apologies king, did not see your post.

adaniel
05-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Glad to see I was wrong.

bradh
05-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Yeah Calvey, I've really gotta walk the streets of Deer Creek packing because my safety is threatened. Good God...

OU Adonis
05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Yeah Calvey, I've really gotta walk the streets of Deer Creek packing because my safety is threatened. Good God...

The reason a lot of people want to Conceal Carry is for protection regardless of where they may be. The Police have no legal requirement to protect individuals in the case of something bad happening. The Police have only a duty to protect the public at large and not the individual.

I don't even have a CCL but I understand people who want to "Pack" everywhere.

AP
05-12-2015, 01:03 PM
That's stupid.

OU Adonis
05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
That's stupid.

What is?

OSUFan
05-12-2015, 01:35 PM
If you fear you may get in a shoot out at the College Softball World Series why go in the first place? I tend to avoid places I would think I needed a gun.

OU Adonis
05-12-2015, 01:42 PM
If you fear you may get in a shoot out at the College Softball World Series why go in the first place? I tend to avoid places I would think I needed a gun.

I wouldn't think that I would need protection at a Marathon... or a Military base... either.... Bad people do bad things where they can get away with it. Anyways its a moot point for me since I don't have a CCL and I don't do any of these events listed.

OSUFan
05-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Not sure how a bunch of people with a CCL would have changed anything at the Boston Marathon. I'm all for 95% of gun rights. However, at some point it is starting to get silly.

OU Adonis
05-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Not sure how a bunch of people with a CCL would have changed anything at the Boston Marathon. I'm all for 95% of gun rights. However, at some point it is starting to get silly.

It wouldn't of, but those were thought of as "safe" area's.

So saying someone who wants to exercise a right is silly, yet implying that there may be random gunfire by CCL's in a public setting isn't? But I digress people on this message board won't be swayed either way by a post here. I am out.

gopokes88
05-12-2015, 02:08 PM

Same here, they're starting to sound paranoid. If Obama couldn't even get a minor gun control bill (in terms of it's restrictiveness) out of committee when dems had the senate after sandy hook, I think we'll be ok.

You don't have to have your gun EVERYWHERE you go.

OSUFan
05-12-2015, 02:21 PM
I just don't think there is any need for handguns at softball events or music festivals. If you don't feel safe watching college softball without a hand gun on your hip stay home. I'm not anti-gun at all. However, there has to be a line somewhere.

Dubya61
05-12-2015, 02:26 PM
... people on this message board won't be swayed either way by a post here. ...

Truth.

jerrywall
05-13-2015, 08:29 AM
While I think the bill was a mistake, I do have this to say... the people that seem freaked out by CC holders carrying near them, probably don't realize how many are around them (even in places where CC isn't allowed) every time they're out in public. They also don't realize this..

Oklahoma | VPC: Concealed Carry Killers (http://concealedcarrykillers.org/oklahoma/)

How many CC holders have murdered someone with their gun? 3.

There are bigger threats to safety than CC permit holders...

Bunty
05-14-2015, 10:43 AM
This should probably be posted in the politics section; however, given the huge implications of this on OKC I am leaving this here.

Oklahoma proposed bill would prevent businesses from banning guns at certain events | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-proposed-bill-would-prevent-businesses-from-banning-guns-at-certain-events/article/5416843)

Left out of this story but included in the AP article was that the city's 20 year contract with the Womens College World Series specifically states that firearms are prohibited at the venue. So this law would make that portion illegal.

Once again, the state legislature is at it again and they are about to screw OKC over big time. You folks in OKC need to call the governor's office, the chamber cannot do it alone.

What difference is it going to make? An event allows guns. But one year a gun there goes off, hurts and kills people. So in response, the event organizers decide never to hold the event again.

kevinpate
05-14-2015, 10:54 AM
What difference is it going to make? An event allows guns. But one year a gun there goes off, hurts and kills people. So in response, the event organizers decide never to hold the event again.

In truth though, the same outcome could result if someone attacked another with a knife, a baton, tire arm, etc., etc., etc. Doesn't require gunpowder to foul up a good thang.

GaryOKC6
05-14-2015, 11:17 AM
It comes down to the NCAA which does not allow guns at their events. If this bill were to become law then they would not hold their national events in Oklahoma. Currently Oklahoma City see's about 40 million dollars a year from NCAA events. I am a conceal carry holder but don't see any need for this bill at all.

BoulderSooner
05-14-2015, 12:00 PM
It comes down to the NCAA which does not allow guns at their events. If this bill were to become law then they would not hold their national events in Oklahoma. Currently Oklahoma City see's about 40 million dollars a year from NCAA events. I am a conceal carry holder but don't see any need for this bill at all.

Except this bill would not have done any of those things. Guns would still have been banned from the softball stadium and the peake.