View Full Version : Nebraska woman sues gays

kelroy55
05-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Nebraska couldn't let KS, OK & TX have all the fun.....

A Nebraska woman identifying herself as the "ambassador" for plaintiffs "God and His Son, Jesus Christ," is suing all homosexuals on Earth for breaking "religious and moral laws," according to court records filed Tuesday.

In the suit, entered into the docket as Driskell v. Homosexuals, Sylvia Ann Driskell, 66, of Auburn, Nebraska, asks in a seven-page, neatly handwritten petition (PDF) that U.S. District Judge John M. Gerrard decide once and for all whether homosexuality is or isn't a sin.

The suit doesn't cite any case law under which a judge could make such a determination. In fact, it cites no court cases at all, quoting Webster's Dictionary and numerous Bible verses, instead, to bolster Driskell's central contention, which is:

"That homosexuality is a sin and that they the homosexuals know it is a sin to live a life of homosexuality. Why else would they have been hiding in the closet."

Driskell writes, "I'm sixty six years old, an [sic] I never thought that I would see the day in which our Great Nation or Our Great State of Nebraska would become so compliant to the complicity of some peoples [sic] lewd behavior."

The suit was noticed by several gay activists and writers, including Dan Savage, the advice columnist, who said, "Man, I hope I get deposed!" and Steven Payne, a self-described "gay feller," who wrote in The Daily Kos:

"Brian (his husband) and I will be liquidating our assets in preparation for a certain loss. We anticipate the restitution ordered to this woman will take us down to our very last penny. In the meantime, our fear is so great we have ceased and desisted being homosexual."

Driskell, who's representing herself, didn't answer a call for comment. The court noted dryly that, regarding to the defendants, "No summons [was] issued."

http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_19/1010831/150505-anti-gay-lawsuit_4a2b329c7930de0e7fb89f17480dca6d.nbcnews-ux-720-200.jpg

The lawsuit against all gays identifies Sylvia Ann Driskell as the 'ambassador' for 'plaintiffs God and His Son, Jesus Christ'

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/307282/150505-lawsuit-against-all-gays.pdf

Bullbear
05-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Mercy!

betts
05-06-2015, 10:05 AM
At least we're not the only state populated by some memorable idiots.

Mel
05-06-2015, 11:41 AM
She got attention, her only one true goal. Just another wingnut.

RadicalModerate
05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Napoleon and Nebraska both begin with N. Coincidence? I don't think so.
hnzHtm1jhL4

It looks like her Writ of Outrage might have been written on a page from a Big Chief tablet with one of those old black pencils that resembled a log.

Jersey Boss
05-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Frivolous filing. Should be dismissed, with costs assessed against the plaintiff. Throwing around the title of "ambassador" might be considered sham as well.

hoya
05-06-2015, 01:36 PM
If I were gay, perhaps I would file to try to recover attorney fees against her.

Jeepnokc
05-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Does Sally Kern have a sister in Nebraska?

mkjeeves
05-06-2015, 06:29 PM
I bet she gets mail.

Urbanized
05-06-2015, 06:34 PM
On the plus side, she has very nice penmanship.

Mel
05-06-2015, 07:00 PM
snap!

poe
05-06-2015, 07:14 PM
She obviously needs a lesson on plural vs. possessive.

Bless her heart.

kevinpate
05-06-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm just waiting for the article where some enterprising soul poses as head of a process service entity and bilks her of her savings to effect service on umpteen hundred thousand defendants

Chadanth
05-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I'm just waiting for the article where some enterprising soul poses as head of a process service entity and bilks her of her savings to effect service on umpteen hundred thousand defendants

We can only hope she suffers such a fate.

poe
05-06-2015, 09:12 PM
I really hope The Good Wife develops a storyline from this next season.

UrbanNebraska
05-06-2015, 10:49 PM
I got a good kick out of this.

At least this ridiculous news is making the national headlines rather than the fact that our son of a billionaire Governor is trying keeping us as the only state in the Union that won't grant driver's licenses to Dreamers despite our overwhelmingly conservative unicameral being supportive of the measure, they might even be veto proof. Or that our unicameral, again heavily Republican is going to vote to repeal the death penalty which he has already vowed to veto to build up his political profile. Or the fact that we are wasting money suing Colorado over pot. Or that he inexplicably supports allowing fracking wastewater to be shipped over state borders and disposed of in Nebraska, 77% of the state is against this. I have no idea why we should take the risk when we don't get the economic benefits from the extraction.

Anyways those are the things that could really paint Nebraska in a bad light nationally. The fringe crazies just give me a chuckle.

RadicalModerate
05-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Isn't "UrbanNebraska"--with the exception of Omaha--sort of an oxymoronal pseudoname? (sorry if that was offensive, sort of like cartoon drawings of MoeHammed . . . not the other dude.) For Clarification or Clarifiction tune into K4. =) No Offense Intended nor implied, UN. (the term "bat-s//t cra/y" is too often used in CyberSpace and I apologize, in advance for proving the point.) =)

Welcome Aboard the Bus, Amigo.
We Are All Bozos. In a Good Way.
Hopefully.

(maybe the bus will bypass Nebraska and go straight through Iowa?) =)

Just the facts
05-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Hold on a second... if courts can use Sharia Law, as well as rulings in foreign courts (which has been supported by the American left), are we sure this idea isn't so ridiculous as it appears? Clearly courts in the Middle East have ruled against homosexuals and sentenced them to death. Or was the American left exculding Muslims when they said 'foreign courts'?

RadicalModerate
05-07-2015, 01:05 PM
I bet she gets mail.
I reckon that all that Duh Mail should be filed in the "N on Nebraska Football Helmets Means 'nowledge" File? Sorry . . . When a person starts making jokes about "Duhbraska" it's almost as difficult to stop as making jokes regarding "Dohkies" . . . (mea culpa . . . but I ain't no self-proclaimed "ambassador" neither. neither was I appointed to be secretary o' state.) =)

RadicalModerate
05-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Hold on a second... if courts can use Sharia Law, as well as rulings in foreign courts (which has been supported by the American left), are we sure this idea isn't so ridiculous as it appears? Clearly courts in the Middle East have ruled against homosexuals and sentenced them to death. Or was the American left exculding Muslims when they said 'foreign courts'?

STOP THINKING RIGHT NOW, Young Man. (and grow up with your country).
(oops . . . I left out the "Go East" part of the borrowed equation/suggestion.)
(wasn't it Herass Greedly who suggested all that? I'm old. I forget.) =)

RadicalModerate
05-07-2015, 01:18 PM
I
Frivolous filing. Should be dismissed, with costs assessed against the plaintiff. Throwing around the title of "ambassador" might be considered sham as well.

I'm thinkin' Kangaroo Court then a one way ticket to Florence, CO.
No . . . no . . . no . . . How about a Five Dollar Fine instead . . ?
Yet . . . All Things Considered . . . My favorite virtual external validation consists of 1) A Prairie Home Companion; 2) Weekend Radio; and 3) OKC Talk.

Obviously: I really don't "know" what I'm typing about.

RadicalModerate
05-07-2015, 01:30 PM
In the interests of transparency (and on the cusp of K4 weather alerts regarding the next round of tornadoes or whatever) . . . I'm not surprised that Nebraska was shocked. Especially UrbanNebraska. I will do my best to work some corn into the pasta dinner tonight. =)

UrbanNebraska
05-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Isn't "UrbanNebraska"--with the exception of Omaha--sort of an oxymoronal pseudoname? (sorry if that was offensive, sort of like cartoon drawings of MoeHammed . . . not the other dude.) For Clarification or Clarifiction tune into K4. =) No Offense Intended nor implied, UN. (the term "bat-s//t cra/y" is too often used in CyberSpace and I apologize, in advance for proving the point.) =)

Welcome Aboard the Bus, Amigo.
We Are All Bozos. In a Good Way.
Hopefully.

(maybe the bus will bypass Nebraska and go straight through Iowa?) =)

Yeah the name was meant as a sort of joke toward the reality of most of the state vs my reality or what I wish for the future of our cities. Omaha has very little "urban" about it as well so UrbanOmaha would of been just as juxtaposed. Plus I think UrbanNebraska rolls off the tongue :Smiley199.

hoya
05-07-2015, 01:46 PM

Well, the times when a court can use Sharia Law are really fairly limited. You're basically looking at contract law, maybe a will, and that's it. Two Muslims could have a contract between the two of them that specified that disagreements would be settled according to Sharia Law, and as long as that agreement didn't run afoul of any sort of consumer protections of US law, the court would generally try to honor that. But that's not that unusual. Generally you can specify in an agreement which jurisdiction's law will apply. If two nerds want to draw up a contract and have any disagreements settled by the laws of the planet Vulcan, the court would probably try to follow that.

kevinpate
05-08-2015, 07:33 AM
And, in a move that should surprise no one, it is over.

Federal judge dismisses Nebraskan's suit against all homosexuals - Omaha.com: Nebraska (http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/federal-judge-dismisses-nebraskan-s-suit-against-all-homosexuals/article_ac48f042-f43e-11e4-8161-63df2bd2525d.html)

Urbanized
05-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Don't you imagine that maybe the plaintiff is a little bit surprised? She had God and Jesus on her side, after all.

RadicalModerate
05-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Now that this tempest in a teapot has blown itself out, I hope that the gays get together an file a class action lawsuit against Nebraska women . . .

Bullbear
05-08-2015, 02:26 PM
We would love to file suit against her however.. there just is not any wiggle room in our Agenda..

kelroy55
05-08-2015, 02:50 PM
We would love to file suit against her however.. there just is not any wiggle room in our Agenda..

Yeah I heard Pat Robertson say you guys had an agenda.

Dubya61
05-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah I heard Pat Robertson say you guys had an agenda.
Ha.
When they start having CPAC-style conventions, then I'll believe that they have an agenda.
I wish I were more tech-savvy, I'd post that meme about gays knocking on doors asking if you've heard the story of Elton John.
I find it funny.

Bullbear
05-08-2015, 02:56 PM
I really shouldn't have mentioned it.. now I have to keep an eye out for the Gay Mafia.. we try to keep a tight lip about the "AGENDA".. which I don't understand since the AGENDA is mostly just brunch.

Mel
05-08-2015, 07:11 PM
This reminds me of the parable of "If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a noise?" If wingnuts do wingnut stuff and the media doesn't spread it, does it really matter? Like I said before, this gal got hat she wanted, attention.

RadicalModerate
05-09-2015, 12:11 PM
^ That reminds me that I need to file a lawsuit against Practitioners of Zen-like Stuff in Nebraska and other Central Midwestern Locales. I think I'll wait until June 6, [20]66.

kevinpate
05-09-2015, 12:40 PM
I doubt I ever bring an action against a religion.
But all bets are off if any Pastafarians try to have me arrested for eating the earthly manifestations of their Deity.

turnpup
05-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Scroll down to Jerry Falwell's quote (and the Oatmeal's brilliant illustration) about the "homosexual steamroller":

What it means when you say "literally" - The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally)

Jeepnokc
05-09-2015, 01:17 PM
I really shouldn't have mentioned it.. now I have to keep an eye out for the Gay Mafia.. we try to keep a tight lip about the "AGENDA".. which I don't understand since the AGENDA is mostly just brunch.

I have always like this clip about the gay mafia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZDZsK-wFKE

Mel
05-09-2015, 01:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQeQfzwvGc

RadicalModerate
05-09-2015, 02:21 PM
I have literally been laboring under the misconception that all steamrollers were literally asexual . . .

Mel
05-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Depends on if you're a top or a bottom.