View Full Version : How old do you look

kelroy55
05-01-2015, 07:05 AM
This is pretty cool......

(CNN)You're only as old as you think you are.

Or in this case, as old as a computer algorithm thinks you are.

In a machine learning experiment that's taken social vanity to new heights, Microsoft has created a website that tells you how old you look just by analyzing your photo.

Sometimes it's dead on. Other times it's hilariously, outrageously wrong.

It's simple: Upload a selfie, wait a few seconds -- then the machine gives you a number.

And since it can analyze anyone's photo, you can compare yourself to your friends, family, and foes.

But guessing someone's age is a dangerous game, even for a robot. That's probably why the site comes with a sheepish apology. "Sorry if we didn't quite get the age and gender right," it says after each result.

The company unveiled the website at a conference Thursday as a way to show off its new software.

Part of a new initiative called Project Oxford, Microsoft says you could use this face detection technology for tasks like sorting through a large photo collection.

But we're human -- so we'll probably just use it to judge our own looks.

And everyone else's.

How old do you look? This site tells you in seconds - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/tech/how-old-do-you-look-website/index.html)

How Old Do I Look? (http://how-old.net/#)

Urbanized
05-01-2015, 09:01 AM
After uploading a photo I felt made me look pretty young (or at least not older than I am), all I can say is **** that website.

hoya
05-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Yeah that website can go to ****ing hell.

turnpup
05-01-2015, 09:19 AM
That is so freaking cool! Especially since it rated me about 5 years younger than I actually am, in several different pictures! :)

turnpup
05-01-2015, 09:20 AM
After uploading a photo I felt made me look pretty young (or at least not older than I am), all I can say is **** that website.

You know what? I think it doesn't like dudes. It over-aged my husband in multiple pictures, too. Maybe an angry female designed the software.

catch22
05-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Well, it certainly confirms why I get ID'd at bars and restaurants roughly around only 1/3 of the time.

One photo says I look 27, another photo says I look 37.

(I'm almost 22)

kevinpate
05-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Haven't used it. Not sure I need a machine to guess my age. No one I meet thinks I'm older than dirt, though a few folk have asked if my nickname is Dusty.

mmonroe
05-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Hmm... willingly upload my photo to a Microsoft website... which in the TOS says they can do whatever they want with my photo.... so no.. try again MacroHard!

ctchandler
05-01-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm not vain and I really don't care, but I met a young, attractive lady at Louie's today that couldn't believe I was 71. Well, the site said I looked like I was 84. I know I feel that old, maybe that was what they saw in my eyes/facial expression.
C. T.

Mel
05-01-2015, 05:36 PM
Wasn't that far off on me. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.