View Full Version : Dad teaches the Priniciple a lesson

kelroy55
04-30-2015, 10:52 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/principal-shames-dad-over-kids-117612836927.html

jerrywall
04-30-2015, 11:18 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/principal-shames-dad-over-kids-117612836927.html

This dad is an idiot, and doesn't understand the concept of unexcused absences. An unexcused absence typically still allows the kids to make up the work, etc. It just means if there are too many of them they could be in violation of laws, and the kids don't get perfect attendance if they have any. When my father passed a couple of months ago, we pulled the kids out of school for a few days. The only day that was an excused absence was the day of the funeral. That's how it works. Consequence? My kid will have to take his year end final that he would have taken anyways.

Heck, we're only allowed a few days as excused absences for college visits.

People get worked up too easily. It was a family vacation, and this dad made a choice to pull his kids out of school for it. It doesn't matter what they do. Family trips in any school district in the country are unexcused absences. This guy needs to get over it.

I guess the big educational lesson he's teaching his kids? "The rules don't apply to you."

kelroy55
04-30-2015, 12:15 PM
I still think the kids learned more going on that trip than those few days in school and don't feel he was an idiot to take them. However to not understand it was unexcused absence is something different. I would have taken them out of school too.

jerrywall
04-30-2015, 12:29 PM
I still think the kids learned more going on that trip than those few days in school and don't feel he was an idiot to take them. However to not understand it was unexcused absence is something different. I would have taken them out of school too.

Yeah, I didn't mean idiot for taking them. If you want to take them, take them. But the rules are nothing new, and for him to make a stink over this is what makes him an idiot.

traxx
04-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah, still unexcused but his argument might've carried more weight had he written something other than:

they learned about dedication, commitment, love, perseverance, overcoming adversity, civic pride, patriotism, American history culinary arts and physical education

Translation: They saw their dad do something he wanted to do.

Now, if he'd listed off some historical sites that they saw and some history that they learned, his response would've been better. I mean, they're in Boston. Think of all the history there. But dedication, committment, love, perservereance, overcoming adversity, civic pride, patriotism, culinary arts and physical education are things that can also be easily learned at home. Seeing historical sites that pertain to the founding of our country are not. Getting real perspective on the historical events that they've studied in their texts is something that couldn't be done at home. But he chose to ignore that opportunity because it was all about the marathon for him.

Dubya61
04-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Yeah, still unexcused but his argument might've carried more weight had he written something other than:

Translation: They saw their dad do something he wanted to do.

Now, if he'd listed off some historical sites that they saw and some history that they learned, his response would've been better. I mean, they're in Boston. Think of all the history there. But dedication, committment, love, perservereance, overcoming adversity, civic pride, patriotism, culinary arts and physical education are things that can also be easily learned at home. Seeing historical sites that pertain to the founding of our country are not. Getting real perspective on the historical events that they've studied in their texts is something that couldn't be done at home. But he chose to ignore that opportunity because it was all about the marathon for him.

In the article I read on Yahoo, the father listed several historical sites that they visited. Was he telling the truth? Dunno, but in his letter to the principal, it wasn't solely about the marathon.

Bullbear
04-30-2015, 03:25 PM
The version I read listed the sites he visited in boston outside of the marathon as well. Do I think it was probably a great trip for the kids and they potentially learned a few things?. Sure. does that mean the absence should be excused?. Nope. the school shouldn't be in aposition to evaluate family vacations and determine what is excused based on hostorical or educational merit. the rules are the rules. I don't have a problem with them going on the trip but it doesn't mean the time is excused. The dad needs to chill.

traxx
05-01-2015, 03:40 PM
In the article I read on Yahoo, the father listed several historical sites that they visited. Was he telling the truth? Dunno, but in his letter to the principal, it wasn't solely about the marathon.

Ah, I see now. I needed to click to get the rest of the story.

Stew
05-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Well in my world an excused absence is anytime the parent says so. Chalk up another point for home schooling.

kevinpate
05-01-2015, 04:08 PM
My daughter home schools. It seems to be going quite well.

I read the dad's letter in the story. Was left with the firm impression it was a bit overboard in design. Mine would have been shorter.

Thanks for your note. It was a good trip all the way around. If we dented the funding formula, I imagine we're neither first, nor last, to do so. Please reread sentence two. Best wishes. The Dad.

TU 'cane
05-04-2015, 02:52 PM
I can't argue the sentiment behind the father's reasons or responses, because in all honesty I agree with much of it.
Those kids were able to travel and see new things, as opposed to sitting in a dull classroom taking standardized tests...

I understand there are many facets to both sides, but, that's just the simple way I look at it.
And sure, rules may be rules... And while in most cases it's probably best to follow them, I'm also a believer in that many rules are meant to be broken.

Overreaction from both perspectives (the father's, and the school's) abounds... No reason for anyone to get worked up, what was done was done and the kids weren't harmed for it, I'm sure it's quite the contrary.

bandnerd
05-14-2015, 05:24 AM
All I know is how things are handled at my school.

Unexcused absences mean the kid wasn't in school and no one called to vouch. Teachers do not have to allow the student to make up missed work, but they can if they're feeling overly generous that day.

Excused absences mean a parent called in to say the kid wouldn't be at school for whatever reason. Either they're sick or they're out for a driver's test or something. They are given the opportunity to make up missed work for excused absences, the number of days they were absent plus one extra day.

Both unexcused and excused absences add up to the nine absences you are allowed by the state before you lose credit in a class. Yes, even the excused absences.

Medical absences are given when you come in with a doctor's note. Either you were at the orthodontist, a regular check up, or you were sick enough to see a doctor and they gave you a note explaining your absence and how long you should be out to get well. Make up work is the same as an excused absence.

Family Emergency absences are given when a student is out for a funeral or something else deemed an emergency. Make up work is the same as an excused absence.

We have had kids go on vacation during school. Most of the time, we discourage it, but I had a student last year who went to Disneyworld in the spring (his best friend's parents took him and their children) and some of the time overlapped with school. They were marked as an excused absence because the kid was vouched for. They made up their work. These were not students who skipped school or were out sick all the time -- and they were clear about why they were going to be gone.

I don't think in the above story that the dad "taught" anyone a lesson. I think he was arrogant and rude to the principal. The principal didn't handle things well, either. This is not something that needed to make national news.