View Full Version : What happened to eataroundokc.com?

baralheia
04-23-2015, 12:07 PM
I've wondered this for a while... Whatever happened to that restaurant review site eataroundokc.com? I remember while it was still up, it hadn't been updated since like 2013... and now the site is unavailable (the URL redirects you to the page for "International Schools Group"). They had some entertaining reviews, and with the restaurant scene heating up like it is, a review site like this could be very helpful. Are there any other sites like that focused on OKC? (And yes, I know there's Urbanspoon and Yelp, but that's not what I'm looking for)

Roger S
04-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Tim ran the site as a hobby. Last time I heard from him his career and family life was starting to eat, no pun intended, into his hobby time.

I have to agree it was a great site and I was sad to see it go. Tim did a lot of great charity work through the site and it inspired me to do what I do now with BBQ.

Pete
04-23-2015, 12:16 PM
I talked to the owner of that site a couple of years ago and I could tell it was taking a lot of his time and not really generating any revenue.

I suspect it was just all too much to keep up.

baralheia
04-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Well, that sucks... but it's totally understandable. It's a shame that he wasn't able to delegate responsibility for articles out to other reviewers or something to keep the site alive. That said, are there any other OKC-focused restaurant review sites similar to EatAroundOKC?

Roger S
04-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Well, that sucks... but it's totally understandable. It's a shame that he wasn't able to delegate responsibility for articles out to other reviewers or something to keep the site alive. That said, are there any other OKC-focused restaurant review sites similar to EatAroundOKC?

I was a part-time contributor to EAOKC and there was an attempt to revive it by having one of the other writers take over the editing. I had submitted two reviews at that time but they were never posted and I never heard any more. So I guess that fell through.

There are still a few of the EAOKC writers blogging occasionally. You can find them on Urbanspoon.

It's too bad the domain name was allowed to expire and it appears someone else bought it because now, even though it was becoming dated, all of the reviews are gone..... Although they can probably be found on the Internet Wayback Machine.

Jeepnokc
04-23-2015, 03:29 PM
WHOIS shows the site registered to Tim Wall in Oklahoma City.

Roger S
04-23-2015, 03:44 PM
WHOIS shows the site registered to Tim Wall in Oklahoma City.

Well it's sure not pointing to the right website any longer.

Jeepnokc
04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Yeah...that's very weird. Why would a school in Saudi Arabia want Home - International Schools Group (ISG) (http://www.eataroundokc.com?)

Roger S
04-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Yeah...that's very weird. Why would a school in Saudi Arabia want Home - International Schools Group (ISG) (http://www.eataroundokc.com?)

Exactly.... Unless they think they can sell the domain for some cash some day..... I know I ran a fairly popular website back in the 90's that someone snapped up the domain name for a few days after I let it expire.

kevinpate
04-24-2015, 07:26 AM
A once active domain, even if the site is left unattended, may have many, many links to it. Pointing it at another site can sometimes aid that other site as all the little bots crawl about the web..

I noticed it was pointed elsewhere about mid-month. Not sure how long before that. I had not posted there in quite a while.