View Full Version : Can you guys tell me how the old Murrah federal building was oriented?

iMAX386
04-19-2015, 06:10 PM
I apologize if this poor timing for anyone, but I've always been slightly confused...I never saw the building in person, and it's never clear to me in pictures from the bombing where the Murrah building is in context to the Journal Record building that the museum is in.

I saw this pic today, and I think I'm finally getting some context:

http://i.imgur.com/DAomp9b.jpg

- Is that the Journal Record/museum building in the bottom right corner of the pic? (or, north of the federal building?)
- The reflecting pool is now where the road passed to the north of the building?
- The side of the building that was hit was the north side, right?

- In the memorial, on the southern edge of chair lawns where there's some jagged cement walls...were those connected to the building? The southern remains of the building?
- And that cement plaza of stairs by 4th street...were those part of the federal building that they left for the memorial?

Thank you to anyone who can clarify.

KayneMo
04-19-2015, 06:42 PM
^ You got it. Yes, the concrete walls on the southern of edge of the Lawn of Chairs are part of the original building.

iMAX386
04-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Got it...thanks.

mkjeeves
04-19-2015, 08:25 PM
- In the memorial, on the southern edge of chair lawns where there's some jagged cement walls...were those connected to the building? The southern remains of the building?
- And that cement plaza of stairs by 4th street...were those part of the federal building that they left for the memorial?

Thank you to anyone who can clarify.

That wasn't left just for the memorial. There is a parking garage below the plaza that remains in use. I believe it's still owned by the feds and used by federal employees. The Federal Court House and associated offices are across 4th street to the south.

Jeepnokc
04-20-2015, 06:12 AM
This will explain some of the symbolism of the memorial and placement also. Oklahoma City National Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_National_Memorial)

mmonroe
04-23-2015, 04:47 PM
I still see well dressed people entering the parking structure all the time. They walk up, swipe a perimeter card near the card reader and enter. But I never see anyone coming out...

rezman
04-24-2015, 09:38 AM
The reflection pond is where 5th street was, and where the blast and resulting crater was ... about center between Harvey & Robinson. The walkway on the south edge of the pond is where the side walk along the front of the Murrah building was.