View Full Version : Portland Recommendations

s00nr1
04-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Headed to Portland tomorrow (after a quick 2 hour stop in San Diego) for a couple of client meetings and am looking for recommendations on eateries/local establishments. I've heard the urban scene doesn't get a whole lot better than it is there but being a first-timer I really have no idea where to go. Thoughts?

Motley
04-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Ringside is the old standby steakhouse in Portland. The onion rings are legendary. Another great steakhouse is El Gaucho, but El Gaucho is out of Seattle. For a taste of OR, might try Clarklewis. One of our old favorites was Higgins, but I haven't been there in many years. Clarklewis is on the east side of the Willamette, across from downtown; El Gaucho is downtown, as is Higgins. There are at least two Ringsides in Portland, but the one to go to is on Burnside. North of downtown is the Pearl district, but I really don' t know the restaurants in that area, but it is a vibrant area of old warehouses turned into lofts and bars and such.

Motley
04-13-2015, 08:07 PM
BTW, are you staying at the airport in San Diego if you only have 2 hours? Nearby is C level on Harbor Island. Great views of downtown and Coronado bridge from it. It's open for lunch, but its sister restaurant in the same building, Island Prime, is only for dinner.

s00nr1
04-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Nope -- off the plane, quick meeting, then back on a plane to Portland. I've been there (SAN) many times and wanted to get as much time in Portland as possible instead. Thanks for all the info!

Buffalo Bill
04-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Headed to Portland tomorrow (after a quick 2 hour stop in San Diego) for a couple of client meetings and am looking for recommendations on eateries/local establishments. I've heard the urban scene doesn't get a whole lot better than it is there but being a first-timer I really have no idea where to go. Thoughts?

Go to the Imperial for cocktails. If you have time between 2-6, it's happy hour. Great specials. Hand chipped ice ala Galatoire's in NOLA pre-Katrina.

White Peacock
04-15-2015, 12:49 AM
Go down 99W into the suburb of Tigard to the House of Teriyaki for the best yakisoba ever. If you prefer to stay closer in, Captain Ankeny's Well was my preferred bar in downtown PDX, with Wyder's pear cider on tap and awesome pizza by the slice. If you're short on time and need a quick meal, Burgerville is the place to go. Their burger sauce is so tasty they sell it by the jar.

But I haven't been there since '09, so I'm sure there's hella new joints that locals would refer you to. If you're a redditor, go ask the folks at reddit.com/r/portland for some current input.

Urbanized
04-15-2015, 05:16 AM
I love Jake's downtown. It has been there more than 120 years, and spawned McCormick and Schmick's.

zachj7
04-15-2015, 12:26 PM
^ Second Jake's in downtown.

Urbanized
04-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Also visit Powell's Books. It will blow your freaking mind.

White Peacock
04-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Also visit Powell's Books. It will blow your freaking mind.

Can't advise that if he's on a time budget; he will miss his plane.

Motley
04-24-2015, 11:14 AM
s00nr1,

Thoughts on Portland?

s00nr1
04-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Have to say it met all my expectations from the very positive comments I've seen on this board the past several years. For starters, mass transit from the airport to downtown? What a noble idea. The Craft Beer Conference also happened to be in town while I was there which made the scene on Pearl Street even better -- we decided on Henry's for a few brews and dinner and enjoyed our visit (even though they would not turn the Thunder game on one of their 30+ televisions).

I think this quick biz trip up there solidified me and my wife making it a vacation stop within the next couple of years.

Motley
04-27-2015, 04:47 PM
I lived south of Portland in Corvallis for a few years and have nothing but great things to say about OR.