View Full Version : Speed-Dating

Leon
09-08-2005, 10:32 PM
OK,...I think it's Angelice who manages a speed-dating effort around here, so don't let me step on your toes Angelice. I intend to do the speed date thing soon.

Anyway, singles,...If you were to participate in a speed-dating event, which three or four questions would you want to ask the potential dates first....and why?

For me:
1. Got any tatoos anywhere?
2. Got any piercings other than your ears?
3. Have you ever felt mud squish up between your toes, and didn't mind it?
4. Have you ever in your life been through difficult times financially?
5. Are you a single mom?

Why:
Questions 1 and 2 are two "yes or no" items that say a lot about someone's way of thinking and lifestyle and how it's likely to get along with mine.

Question 3: If she's ever played outside barefooted, maybe we have a similar chilhood....and that is a HUGE factor in the chances of a successful relationship.

Question 4: If she's ever had hard times, she'll appreciate the good ones without finding the one minor detail that isn't perfect....she's not spoiled.

Question 5: Single moms are hard-working, time managers, organized, resource managers who usually appreciate the same.

sweetdaisy
09-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Being a seasoned speed dater, I find these events very fun and can be pretty interesting. I think I've posted regarding this before, but one of my favorite questions is "have you done this before?" Usually that leads to the man answering and then asking if I've done it before. I say yes and he usually says "how has it worked for you?" hee hee. Uhhh...apparently, it hasn't worked that well so far. :) It's kind of a fun way to open the meeting with a bit of humor.

Leon, I can understand your questions, however I'm not sure speed dating is the time to get into "heavy" discussions like finances. In addition, I'm not sure how I would feel if someone asked me if I was a single mom. While I can appreciate your reasoning, but you've made a broad assumption about single moms as a whole, in addition to making assumptions about women who don't have kids. Not having children at our age(s) can also indicate someone has planned their lives carefully to ensure they are able to properly provide for their children.

Also, if you have to ask someone if they have tattoos would lead me to believe that they aren't "freakish" about their body art, and therefore may conform to the "norm" easier than someone who has tattooed their heads, etc. Same goes for piercings, for the most part. Honestly, if you make judgements about someone based on things you can't even see, then you could be shutting out a large group of individuals who may be wonderful people to date. Now, if you're really into tattoos and body piercings, and the person you're talking to isn't covered in them? Well, you may have some compatability issues. :)

The one question you have that I really like is #3 about mud between the toes. That reflects not only possible childhood experiences, but also their behavior as an adult. When I think of mud between toes, I think of light-hearted fun...someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously and who is low maintenance and fun-loving. That's a good one, as far as I'm concerned.

Leon
09-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Good reply, Sweetdaisy...makes me think I should reconsider my questions. But that's why I put them here...the ?'s will not help if they ran anyone off. Maybe those questions ARE a bit too heavy to ask someone I've just met. I thought they were good but I hadn't looked at them from that angle. Thanks.