View Full Version : Big 12 Football 2015

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

okatty
09-05-2015, 10:55 AM
SD State 17 Kansas 7. All you need to know about b12

That is the only game Kansas had much of a chance to win. They will be double digit dogs in every game the rest of the year. Horrendous team.

dcsooner
09-05-2015, 01:34 PM
This is why the b12 is a dead conference. KU,ISU, awful most years. KSU will be awful when B.S. Retired. TT will be bad this year. That's almost 1/2 the conference BAD year in year out. Flip a coin on WV and OSU. And OU and Texas don't frighten anybody. Kill this conference sooner rather than later

ljbab728
09-05-2015, 07:55 PM
This is why the b12 is a dead conference. KU,ISU, awful most years. KSU will be awful when B.S. Retired. TT will be bad this year. That's almost 1/2 the conference BAD year in year out. Flip a coin on WV and OSU. And OU and Texas don't frighten anybody. Kill this conference sooner rather than later

I don't know why you even bother to post here. Everyone already knows how you feel. Pointing out that Kansas is a horrible team is a given and that surprises nobody. Maybe you should try bashing the Big 10. Nebraska lost a home game to BYU by gagging on the last play of the game, Penn State lost to Temple by 17 points, and Indiana only beat Southern Illinois by 1 point. Or you could rag on the Pac 12 because Stanford lost to Northwestern and Washington State lost to Portland State. OU started out sluggish on offense but the defense has been stellar all night. Baker Mayfield has had the biggest passing night in a first start of any Sooner in history. Texas is questionable but we'll see about OU next week at Tennessee.

zookeeper
09-05-2015, 08:35 PM
I don't know why you even bother to post here. Everyone already knows how you feel. Pointing out that Kansas is a horrible team is a given and that surprises nobody. Maybe you should try bashing the Big 10. Nebraska lost a home game to BYU by gagging on the last play of the game, Penn State lost to Temple by 17 points, and Indiana only beat Southern Illinois by 1 point. Or you could rag on the Pac 12 because Stanford lost to Northwestern and Washington State lost to Portland State. OU started out sluggish on offense but the defense has been stellar all night. Baker Mayfield has had the biggest passing night in a first start of any Sooner in history. Texas is questionable but we'll see about OU next week at Tennessee.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. Also, we really needed a Texas win on the road at ND for "strength of schedule" reasons. All that matters more than ever when they seed the playoffs.

zookeeper
09-05-2015, 08:46 PM
One more thing...OU Athletic Dept. just tweeted about Mayfield's record for Most Passing Yards in Season Opener in OU football history!

http://i.imgur.com/g4vTzNy.jpg

dcsooner
09-05-2015, 09:18 PM

I post here because I am a Sooner Alum, native Oklahoman and exercise my right to free speech. No one has to agree with me but I am entitled to my opinion just like those who posit a view different from mine who I often disagree with.

venture
09-05-2015, 09:33 PM
I post here because I am a Sooner Alum, native Oklahoman and exercise my right to free speech. No one has to agree with me but I am entitled to my opinion just like those who posit a view different from mine who I often disagree with.

Well...that part really doesn't matter since Pete can shut you up at any point since it is his house. Constitution freedoms really don't mean squat on a privately owned forum. :)

Regardless...good to see the good guys win tonight and Baker come out with a strong performance. Overall decent start for the conference in terms of wins...except for Kansas and Texas being terrible. Kansas at least found the end zone once, even though it was against SD ST.

ljbab728
09-05-2015, 09:50 PM
You certainly have a right to voice your opinion. It's just that your sole purpose for posting here always seems to be to bash OU and the Big 12 in particular and you totally ignore anything that vaguely comes close to being a positive. Your past posts here are very easy to find and always seem to be the same. Nobody is claiming that the Big 12 is the premier powerhouse conference, but it is hardly worthy of using the words "dead conference". That is a gross exaggeration and I have no idea why you say that unless you have some hidden bias that you won't talk about.

MitchellCole
09-05-2015, 10:16 PM
SD State 17 Kansas 7. All you need to know about b12

PAC 12--
(ranked) Stanford lost to (unranked) Northwestern
Washington St lost to PORTLAND ST (9 losses last year in the mighty Big Sky conference....they had a 4% chance of winning according to FPI)
Colorado lost to Hawaii (9 losses last year)
(ranked) ASU got their asses handed to them by (unranked) A&M

Big 10--
Penn St got their asses handed to them by TEMPLE
Nebraska lost at home to BYU (1st season opener loss by Nebraska in 3 decades)

SEC
Vanderbilt lost at home to WESTERN KENTUCKY

Spartan
09-05-2015, 10:31 PM
When the Big 12 breaks up, UT OU and KU will be fine, they will all find homes.

Tech, OSU, KSU, ISU. Baylor, WVU, tcu will be in trouble and trying to ride the coat tails of the big 3. Maybe these 7 stick together and try to add 5 more to be a bridge from the P4 and the mid majors-. They could add like Cinci, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulane and that wouldn't be that bad of an upper mid-major

Lmao. Oh yes.

KU should probably be kicked out of the B12, but they're really the envy of every Power 5 conference (isn't there a Catholic bball conf they can join). Nobody would want OSU or WVU...

okatty
09-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Kansas did the ultimate bad fire when they got rid of Mangino. The issues there were not that bad and 90% of the players were in his camp. He got them to an Orange bowl which is hard to believe. Schools make bad HIRES and they make bad FIRES. He was one of the latter.

Urbanized
09-06-2015, 10:19 AM
I said almost exactly the same thing to someone this morning.

okatty
09-06-2015, 10:37 AM
^Maybe not quite to the same level was Tech with the firing of Leach. It was just a stationary bike in a storage closet after all.:p

Spartan
09-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Leach may have been one of the cleanest coaches in the NCAA. He pissed off the donors and the media, which decide whether to keep or lose any coach. I honestly would love to see Leach come to OSU.

Pete
09-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Whatever success Leach had at Tech has long since disappeared.

He's 12-26 at Wazzou and just lost yesterday at home to FCS Portland State, a 31-point underdog.

okatty
09-07-2015, 08:22 AM
^Yes but he had it going pretty well at Tech. WSU is a football wasteland. Mike Price did well a couple of years there but was about a .500 coach for his time and no one else has had any modern success there. With that said, I did think Leach would do better there than he has.

MitchellCole
09-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Lmao. Oh yes.

KU should probably be kicked out of the B12, but they're really the envy of every Power 5 conference (isn't there a Catholic bball conf they can join). Nobody would want OSU or WVU...

Nobody gives a crap about basketball. They will land in the AAC. The Big Ten and ACC don't wouldn't want them b/c they actually care about football.

zookeeper
09-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Nobody gives a crap about basketball. They will land in the AAC. The Big Ten and ACC don't wouldn't want them b/c they actually care about football.

Is the Big 12 ready to give up the NCAA Tournament money generated by Kansas almost like clockwork?

Laramie
09-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Is the Big 12 ready to give up the NCAA Tournament money generated by Kansas almost like clockwork?

Good point!

When you think of conferences we tend to look from the sports side like football, basketball, baseball, wrestling etc., inasmuch as they play an important role with conference alignment; there's also the academic side.

Would love for OU to mirror the academic achievements of a reputable school like the University of Kansas (Lawrence).

ljbab728
09-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Here is something to take everyone's mind off of why the Big 12 is a "dead conference".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKGwf7CBWuw

okatty
09-08-2015, 08:26 AM
^My college age son told me about this yesterday and I didn't believe it...until I saw the articles popping up about it!

KSU is an really good atmosphere for football - went up there for the first time during the 2000 championship season and KSU was ranked very high and no one was really sure if OU was for real at that time and Josh H and company won a thrilling game. Those fans were wild and crazy and needless to say the band is too! ha

okatty
09-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Interesting article in USA Today - Joe C quoted

ESPN's shifting line on college football betting information (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/09/08/espn-college-gameday-football-gambling-wagering-odds-tv-broadcast/71897470)

ljbab728
09-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Somehow, in spite of the Big 12 being a "dead conference" and having to count games by Kansas, they are 16 - 4 after week two. The almighty SEC is 19 - 6, the Pac 12 is 15 - 7, and the Big 10 is 20 - 8.

Hmmmm.

adaniel
09-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Meanwhile, in Austin....

Steve Patterson out as Texas AD - Big 12 Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/103536/steve-patterson-out-as-texas-ad?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

okatty
09-15-2015, 08:34 PM
^ I bet Charlie Strong is even more nervous now that SP is out the door. It's my understanding that Joe Jamaal refused to go to his suite as long as he was AD. I can't imagine that Bill Bowlsby would take this job, but IF he does things don't bode well for Big 12 as it stands now long term.

ljbab728
09-19-2015, 09:48 PM
It was another relatively good week for the Big 12. The highlight was probably Tech's win at Arkansas. Now this "dead conference" is 2 - 0 this year against the mighty SEC with both wins being on the road. Lowlights (since Kansas didn't play) were Iowa State"s overtime loss at Toledo and Texas missing a tying extra point with one minute left in the game to lose to Cal. Both OU and OSU should move up a little in the polls this week.

On the national lever. two playoff contenders lost home games. (USC and Alabama). Maybe the national media will finally quit blowing smoke up Bama's butt. They will probably fall all the way from 2nd to 3rd place in the polls. :)

okatty
09-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Some fiery quotes tonight by Kingsbury after Tech win. The Texas game was hard to believe. Talk about fans going from absolute joy to despair!

ljbab728
09-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Some fiery quotes tonight by Kingsbury after Tech win. The Texas game was hard to believe. Talk about fans going from absolute joy to despair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aW5Bz_L8tg

ljbab728
09-20-2015, 10:25 PM
An interesting and accurate assessment of the Big 12 to date by Barry Trammel:

Tramel: Four things we've learned about Big 12 football | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/tramel-four-things-weve-learned-about-big-12-football/article/5448240)

ljbab728
09-26-2015, 08:08 PM
TCU is either living a "charmed life" or living "on borrowed time" this year after a last second touchdown off of a tipped pass in the end zone to beat Tech.

okatty
09-26-2015, 08:43 PM
^Crazy game! OSU - Tx game was crazy too. Another rough ending for Longhorn faithful and Charlie Strong!

Dustin
09-26-2015, 11:46 PM
As an OU, fan I found this game very entertaining. Both teams played awful and the officiating was equally horrendous.

How about Ben Grogan at the end though? Super clutch for OSU.

Spartan
09-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Somehow, in spite of the Big 12 being a "dead conference" and having to count games by Kansas, they are 16 - 4 after week two. The almighty SEC is 19 - 6, the Pac 12 is 15 - 7, and the Big 10 is 20 - 8.

Hmmmm.

Because they've played nobody. Signature win is against Tennessee who honestly is no good. B12 has played the weakest non conference slate in the nation, and that's the reason for both the bad PR this year (as every year) and the high win-loss record.

Laramie
09-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Because they've played nobody. Signature win is against Tennessee who honestly is no good. B12 has played the weakest non conference slate in the nation, and that's the reason for both the bad PR this year (as every year) and the high win-loss record.

West Virginia should be a legitimate test next week. It's early, so it difficult to gauge which teams are true powers. Spartan, it has really been a crazy roll-out for many Top 25 ranked Division I teams.

Urbanized
09-27-2015, 10:28 AM
As an OU, fan I found this game very entertaining. Both teams played awful and the officiating was equally horrendous.

How about Ben Grogan at the end though? Super clutch for OSU.

Same here. Besides, though im always mildly amused watching OSU stumble and bumble, I get sick, twisted satisfaction from watching UT lose, ESPECIALLY in front of their home fans.

ljbab728
09-27-2015, 09:04 PM
LOL, Spartan. I agree that the non-conference slate was not the best but that has nothing to do with my point which was to counter a statement that the Big 12 is a "dead conference". And I would hardly describe Tennessee as "honestly no good".

ljbab728
09-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Same here. Besides, though im always mildly amused watching OSU stumble and bumble, I get sick, twisted satisfaction from watching UT lose, ESPECIALLY in front of their home fans.
I think their home fans are a little disgusted as evidenced by the large areas of empty seats in the stands. I heard they even have a lot of unsold seats for the OU game in Dallas.

MitchellCole
09-28-2015, 10:07 AM

The Big 12 only gets three non conference games so they are guaranteed nine Power 5 games in conference.

Power 5 and quality Other 5 out of conference opponents..

KSU, Baylor, OSU-none
Kansas-Rutgers
Iowa St-Iowa (also played #26 Toledo)
TCU-Minnesota
Texas-#7 Notre Dame and #24 Cal
TTU-Arkansas
WVU-Maryland
OU-Tennessee

So 9 out of 30 = 30% "decent" scheduling

BIG 10...
Penn St-none
Illinois-North Car
Indiana-Wake Forest
Iowa-ISU, Pitt
Maryland-WVU
Michigan-Utah, Or St, BYU
Mich St-Oregon
Minn-TCU
Neb-BYU, Miami
Northwestern-BYU, Duke
tOSU-Va Tech
Purdue-Va Tech
Rutgers-KU
Wisconsin-Alabama

So, 17 out of 56=30% "decent" scheduling

SEC-
Alabama-Wisconsin
Ark-Toledo, TTU
Aub-Louisville
Florida-FSU
Georgia-Georgia Tech
Kentucky-Louisville
LSU-Syracuse
MSU-NONE
Mizzou-BYU
Ole Miss-Memphis
A&M-ASU
USC-NC, Clemson
Tenn-OU
Vandy-Houston

So, 15 out of 56=27%

dankrutka
09-28-2015, 11:52 AM

Can you provide some links to this terrible press about the Big 12's awfulness?

Here's stats (RPI) that say the Big 12 is the second best conference: RealTimeRPI.com College Football Power Ratings, Analysis, and Predictions - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet (http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html)

As has already been pointed out, that the Big 12 plays 9 conference games means that Big 12 teams lplay as hard -- if not more difficult -- schedules than almost any other conference.

Richard at Remax
09-28-2015, 12:42 PM
To add on to Dan's post. Look at the SEC. Alabama plays at Georgia this weekend. They are in the same conference but Bama hasn't play at Georgia in 7 years. That's just a little ridiculous.

SoonerDave
09-28-2015, 02:51 PM
I think their home fans are a little disgusted as evidenced by the large areas of empty seats in the stands. I heard they even have a lot of unsold seats for the OU game in Dallas.

Last I heard, Texas had some 8,000 unsold tickets on hand for the RRS this year. Not tickets on Stubhub or unclaimed student tickets, but regular, normal, hard tickets that would (I assume) normally go out through regular season ticket and/or direct sales systems in their ticket department. And that goes hand-in-hand with the fact that there were apparently only about 70K on hand at DKR for the OSU game; heard the announcer say "This place may be about 60% full."

Considering face value for OU-UT this year is $135, that's a shade over $1M in lost revenue.

Tickets on StubHub right now for RRS in the UT end are roughly half the corresponding seats on the OU side, although I think it's fair to point out tickets prices even on the OU side are fairly soft this year. OU tacks on a $15 fee on OU-Texas this year, so "face" for a regular ticket holder is $150, and I picked up good sidelines for just a bit over that. And I'm reasonably sure I bought too soon...

Laramie
09-28-2015, 09:41 PM
To add on to Dan's post. Look at the SEC. Alabama plays at Georgia this weekend. They are in the same conference but Bama hasn't play at Georgia in 7 years. That's just a little ridiculous.

Dan's very methodical and well versed...

Georgia Bulldogs have a history of being a thorn in Alabama's side. They have been known to 'beat' Alabama or cause them a rash of injuries whenever they've met.

This rivalry dates back to the days of heated confrontations of well-coached teams of Bear Bryant & Vince Dooley.

Georgia is (25-37-4) against Alabama
Average score: Georgia 12.1 - Alabama 16.5

mcubed.net : NCAAF Football : Series records : Georgia vs. Alabama (http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/ga/al.shtml)

okatty
10-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Some interesting games this weekend with OU - WVU toppin the list. Baylor - Tech with a total on that game of 90! And the big national games - Bama v Georgia, ND at Clemson and it feels like fall outside to boot!:)

Filthy
10-02-2015, 08:49 AM
I see that all 3 of the ESPN panelists picked West Virgina to beat OU straight up.

okatty
10-02-2015, 09:43 AM
I see that all 3 of the ESPN panelists picked West Virgina to beat OU straight up.

So did the top 2 pickers on the Oklahoman list (Trammel and I think Helsley). So lots of WVU support locally and nationally. Should be a great day for football!

SoonerDave
10-02-2015, 10:58 AM

While I think this could be a tough game, I still think, on balance, OU is the better team. Playing at home, if they don't make silly mistakes, Sooners should come out on top.

OU is not as well-equipped for the road-grading running game they used a year ago to unleash Perine, but if the O-Line plays smart and limits silly penalties they should still be able to create space and make running lanes. This may be one of those very unusual games where WVa drops, at times, even more than 5 in coverage and tries to force OU to run. Given the way they may scheme the run, either MIxon or Perine could bust one or more long runs. Could be a great game.

Filthy
10-02-2015, 01:32 PM
While I think this could be a tough game, I still think, on balance, OU is the better team. Playing at home, if they don't make silly mistakes, Sooners should come out on top.

OU is not as well-equipped for the road-grading running game they used a year ago to unleash Perine, but if the O-Line plays smart and limits silly penalties they should still be able to create space and make running lanes. This may be one of those very unusual games where WVa drops, at times, even more than 5 in coverage and tries to force OU to run. Given the way they may scheme the run, either MIxon or Perine could bust one or more long runs. Could be a great game.

Yep, WV runs a 3-3 up front, and although it creates issues sometimes from a blitzing and pass protection standpoint (creating confusion on who to block) but, it also lends itself to being exposed/gashed every once in a while against the run. so, if you can put a hat on somebody, at the 2nd level (lbs) than you create a seam that can be taken advantage of. I think Oklahoma trys to run more tomorrow, than they have the first few games.

okatty
10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I love Baylor tomorrow (-15.5 although higher now) over TT.

ljbab728
10-03-2015, 07:06 PM
It's looking like the Big 12's big four look to move up in the polls this week. TCU, Baylor, and OU all had strong showings and OSU found a way to squeak by once again.

What are the odds that 3/4 of the Cotton Bowl will be filled with OU fans next week? OSU at West Virginia should be interesting next week.

ljbab728
10-03-2015, 10:22 PM
There should be a fairly good shake up in the top 10 this week with loses by Mississippi, UCLA, Notre Dame, and Georgia. There were also somewhat embarrassing close calls by Ohio State and Michigan State. There just does not seem to be a dominant team this year so everything is still wide open.

Laramie
10-03-2015, 11:01 PM
OSU's motivation & confidence has certainly taken a complete 360 degree turn. Gotta give it up to Mike Gundy/staff, Glen Spencer (defensive coordinator/Linebackers), Mike Yurcich (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks) & the Oklahoma State Cowboys in their come from behind win over a well coached Kansas State squad. KSU had 49 straight wins when leading at the half.

BEDLAM 2015 will be another SMACKDOWN.

OKCisOK4me
10-03-2015, 11:32 PM
I have a feeling the Cowboy luck will run out next Saturday in Morgantown. No way Spencer & Co. figure out how to squash the defensive penalties in one week. Gonna be a lot of yellow on that field next week. It was fun being in the Top 25 but this is just the beginning of a tumble downward for my Pokes. Sorry to those of you that see my post as a NN but I'm a glass half empty/need more orange kool-aid type fan.

okatty
10-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Texas has been outgained through 5 games only thrice since 2000. In ’13, they were -32. In ’14, -72. This year, they are -843 @ESPNStatsInfo per jake trotter

Filthy
10-05-2015, 07:41 AM
OSU's motivation & confidence has certainly taken a complete 360 degree turn. Gotta give it up to Mike Gundy/staff, Glen Spencer (defensive coordinator/Linebackers), Mike Yurcich (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks) & the Oklahoma State Cowboys in their come from behind win over a well coached Kansas State squad. KSU had 49 straight wins when leading at the half.

BEDLAM 2015 will be another SMACKDOWN.

Interesting outlook for sure. I guess its all in how you spin it. As far as I'm concerened, the only other conference wins the rest of the season I see OSU achieving is against Kansas and Iowa State.

AP
10-05-2015, 08:08 AM
What do we think about Tramel's take here: OU's arch-rival has turned a brighter shade of orange | News OK (http://newsok.com/ous-arch-rival-has-turned-a-brighter-shade-of-orange/article/5451293)

SoonerDave
10-05-2015, 08:11 AM
I have a feeling the Cowboy luck will run out next Saturday in Morgantown. No way Spencer & Co. figure out how to squash the defensive penalties in one week. Gonna be a lot of yellow on that field next week. It was fun being in the Top 25 but this is just the beginning of a tumble downward for my Pokes. Sorry to those of you that see my post as a NN but I'm a glass half empty/need more orange kool-aid type fan.

I think Spencer will take a page from the OU defensive playbook and scheme all kinds of pressure against that WVa QB. OU was in his hip pocket virtually all day long, and the blindside blitzes obviously helped seal the game in the 4th quarter.

One thing OU and OSU have in common is that neither has an especially good offensive line, at least not right now - and OSU doesn't have either a Perine or a Mixon in their backfield. If WVa opts to blitz Rudolph like they did Mayfield, I think Gundy and/or Yuricich are going to *have* to have some screens in their bag of tricks - heck, the only real bubble screen I remember OU running was the 3rd quarter pump-fake bubble that turned into the 71-yarder to Neal - and that was a play they put in specifically for WVa because of their tendency to bite to specific receivers in certain situations.

I think OSU may be in for a tough day on the road against WVa. That said, the mental state for WVa will be a question, because they rolled a lot of stock into that OU game that I believe they expected to win. Losing that game by 20 when they'd closed a 17-point gap to 3 was a disheartening way to lose. On balance, I think OSU will have *less* success running the ball than OU did, but should have similar throwing opportunities. It'll boil down to making plays - can Rudolph have success comparable to Mayfield's. On the flip side, the OU D made that WVa QB look bad with five turnovers, but at least a couple of them were what you might call "unforced errors" - just plain bad throws. And he missed wide-open receivers a couple of times as well. So that will be an interesting aspect of the game next week for the Pokes.

Bad side for the Pokes is that it's now a night kickoff, and a road-game/night kickoff I think reinforces the home field advantage for WVa. If they get rolling, it could be a really tight fit. Should be an interesting game.

OU-Texas

This is one of those ridiculous years that one team should decisively upend the other, but I bet you won't find five OU fans that'll talk any smack - too many memories of the 2013 disaster or a role-reversal of 1996, where one of the worst OU teams ever in the John Bleak era goes in and beats a middling Texas team in OT. Lots of folks are still hedging on the upside for OU, particularly as it's OL tries to improve, and the run game is still a work in progress. OU's OL is struggling to get lanes open, and get blocks at the 2nd level, and Texas front 7 is at least decent. I'm thinking Bedford rolls the dice (the staff has nothing to lose, really) and blitzes the garbage out of OU, meaning lots of homerun plays both ways. The question is who makes more.

Like any game with this kind of offense, I think a quick start is absolutely vital. If OU can get out of the gate quickly, get rid of the nerves (are you listening, Orlando Brown? NO FALSE STARTS) and get out to a lead early, they could roll. If they let Texas hang around like last year, anything could happen. Current rumor is that Texas' big, most experienced OL in Kent Perkins won't even make the trip to Dallas, and I think they have no choice but to spell him with a *freshman*.

Every game I've seen vs Texas this year has featured one common denominator - WR's running freely. OSU was picking them apart until Rudolph mysteriously drops that ball and it gets run back for a TD; otherwise I'm convinced that game pushes out to 21-6 and the rout would have been on. Some thought UT would have a shot against TCU, and I was convinced TCU would light them up - and sure enough, they did, with a little Texas' help (that they didn't really need).

On *balance*, all other things being equal, a disciplined OU team goes in Saturday and takes care of business and puts a nice, tidy beatdown on the Horns. If they get caught up too much in the moment, and don't play smart, particularly on the defensive edges in containment vs Heard, and let UT hang around, it *could* get really interesting - and not in a good way. You play this game, say, 100 times, and I say OU probably wins by an average of something like 38-17 or 45-17, and wins probably seven out of 10 times. It's those other three of ten ya gotta watch out for :)

SoonerDave
10-05-2015, 08:13 AM
What do we think about Tramel's take here: OU's arch-rival has turned a brighter shade of orange | News OK (http://newsok.com/ous-arch-rival-has-turned-a-brighter-shade-of-orange/article/5451293)

Disagree completely. No disrespect to OSU, but as a long-time Sooner fan, I pay them only casual, "hey, it's another state team" attention until we play them. I appreciate Tramel's effort here, but he's just wrong. OSU will *never* engender the kind of rivalry distaste that Texas does - no matter how bad they may be this year. It's *Texas*. I mean, c'mon, it's *TEXAS*.

Filthy
10-05-2015, 08:24 AM

The Oklahoman serves both fan bases. As the actual "paper" circulation continues to dwindle, more and more emphasis is put on their website. Currently speaking, (since aprrox. mid 2014 season,) OSU articles aren't getting many clicks. Tramel is doing his part, to generate traffic/clicks to his blog and the website. That's how they generate revenue. It is nothing more than fabricating a "Shock" Value/Click bait article to create the discussion, and to piss off OU fans. And he obviously was successful in doing so ...as the link was then shared here.

dankrutka
10-05-2015, 08:32 AM

It's way off base. First, his interpretation of the reaction of OU fans to the UT score is way off. It was pretty loud. Second, I don't know one OU fan that feels this way. I love Bedlam, but UT is OU's undisputed rival.

jerrywall
10-05-2015, 08:53 AM
It's way off base. First, his interpretation of the reaction of OU fans to the UT score is way off. It was pretty loud. Second, I don't know one OU fan that feels this way. I love Bedlam, but UT is OU's undisputed rival.

Hrm. I might agree if it wasn't for the reaction in the comments. For folks so unconcerned with OSU, a lot of OU fans certainly lost their heads there....