View Full Version : Big 12 Football 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Laramie
12-07-2015, 07:29 AM
OU fans probably just need to give a Christmas present to their OSU friends this year.

You know we've got to take care of little brother.

Spartan
12-07-2015, 09:30 AM
What's funny is that OU people actually do talk like this amongst themselves..

Richard at Remax
12-07-2015, 09:42 AM
It is funny. Some pokes fans just make it too easy for us.

OKCisOK4me
12-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Classic dirt burglar talk...

dankrutka
12-07-2015, 12:04 PM
What's funny is that OU people actually do talk like this amongst themselves..

To be clear, I said OU fans should give OSU fans a gift for Christmas. My Bedlam smack is hardcore. ;)

kevinpate
12-07-2015, 08:40 PM
OU fans probably just need to give a Christmas present to their OSU friends this year.

They already did. A solid spanking can be a sign of love.

Most folk don't spank strangers unless they are in it for the pay.

Bill Robertson
12-08-2015, 01:05 PM
m
They already did. A solid spanking can be a sign of love.

Most folk don't spank strangers unless they are in it for the pay.Well done!

ljbab728
12-08-2015, 09:32 PM
This is great news for the Big 12 and should help in gaining respect around the country.

Big 12 schools required to schedule game against Power 5 team or Notre Dame Fighting Irish going forward (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14321459/big-12-schools-required-schedule-game-power-5-team-notre-dame-fighting-irish-going-forward)

The scheduling by Baylor has just been pathetic.

Winner of the previous two Big 12 championships, Baylor played SMU, Lamar and Rice this season. The Bears have a home-and-home scheduled with Duke for 2017-18, but no other Power 5 opponent until 2023-24 against Utah. Since Baylor's schedule is filled out through the next three years, the earliest the Big 12 mandate will affect the Bears will be 2019.

Bill Robertson
12-09-2015, 01:02 PM
This is great news for the Big 12 and should help in gaining respect around the country.
I would think it would but listening to some ESPN radio show last night about 11:30 I'm not so sure. They were attacking the Big 12 for "A pathetic attempt to look like they are on the same level as the other power five conferences". I don't think the outside world is going to be happy until the Big 12 looks like everyone else. 12 or more teams in 2 divisions with a championship game.

ljbab728
12-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Great representation by OU and OSU in both individual awards and All Big 12 awards. The two teams have a total of 12 first teamers.

Big 12 football awards announced | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/big-12-football-awards-announced/article/5465723)

okatty
12-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Here is your TV guide for bowl season:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55ba81dfe4b0aa2fc6f85ea9/t/56707307841aba81145d086a/1450210055993/Bowl+Watch+Guide.pdf

gopokes88
12-19-2015, 08:58 PM
New Mexico bowl was a lot of fun to watch

ljbab728
12-19-2015, 09:26 PM
New Mexico bowl was a lot of fun to watch
OK. Which one of those teams joined the Big 12? :D

okatty
12-29-2015, 08:45 AM
Thought this was a good story about Bill Snyder and his well known letter writing.

Kansas State Wildcats Bill Snyder's legacy in letters (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14433017/kansas-state-wildcats-bill-snyder-legacy-letters)

okatty
12-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Fan bases of the two schools playing right now - TT and LSU rank very high on my personal "worst fan" list - my one experience with LSU was the infamous national championship Sugar Bowl, and I have been to TT twice for games. Both - brutal experiences...haha. I'm pulling for the Big 12 but seeing the irony in the two teams playing based on my time sharing space with them! Tech's defense is wilting as i type BTW.

ljbab728
12-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Baylor had a great win today for the Big 12 over a favored North Carolina team. Tech hung around LSU for a while but they are getting overwhelmed in the second half and that was basically expected.

soonermike81
12-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Fan bases of the two schools playing right now - TT and LSU rank very high on my personal "worst fan" list - my one experience with LSU was the infamous national championship Sugar Bowl, and I have been to TT twice for games. Both - brutal experiences...haha. I'm pulling for the Big 12 but seeing the irony in the two teams playing based on my time sharing space with them! Tech's defense is wilting as i type BTW.

I agree. Was in N.O. for the Sugar Bowl, and visited Lubbock once and both fan bases are terrible. I think LSU is def worse though. They don't seem to be as bad in recent years, but when we went to Manhattan in '00, I thought K-State fans were about as bad as they come.

As far as good fan bases, I thought Tennessee fans were great this past year, and when we went to Tuscaloosa in '03, Bama fans were awesome as well. FSU fans were pretty good, but nothing like Tennessee or Bama.

okatty
12-30-2015, 12:06 PM
^Didn't go to Tenn but heard their fans were great. Bama fans were great. Nebraska fans are really good. N. Dame fans were fantastic when I took my son there in Stoops' first year; UW fans were a lot of fun and that stadium is very cool. And agree with you LSU for sure worse at that Sugar Bowl. Most outrageous stuff I had ever seen before and after the game. Anyway, was funny to see them playing last night in what I dubbed THE WORST FAN BOWL ha

soonermike81
12-30-2015, 12:19 PM
Yeah I forget about UW. Their fans were pretty cool for sure, and their stadium was awesome. Not too many stadiums where you can pull up your boat and party before the game. Tenn and Baylor are the only other 2 that I know of. Wish I would've gone to ND a couple of years back, work got in the way. And I'm kicking myself; not sure when we'll do a home and home with ND again.

okatty
12-31-2015, 08:02 AM
Trevone Boykin stepped in it last night - charged with felony assault of an officer.

gopokes88
01-02-2016, 08:55 AM
I personally don't see the point of having the big 12 anymore. The conference has fallen and won't get up.

Tundra
01-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I agree. Was in N.O. for the Sugar Bowl, and visited Lubbock once and both fan bases are terrible. I think LSU is def worse though. They don't seem to be as bad in recent years, but when we went to Manhattan in '00, I thought K-State fans were about as bad as they come.

As far as good fan bases, I thought Tennessee fans were great this past year, and when we went to Tuscaloosa in '03, Bama fans were awesome as well. FSU fans were pretty good, but nothing like Tennessee or Bama.

I went to Tuscaloosa that year, scalped all day and ended with 50 yard line donor seats ....... Everyone was great all day and game long.... One of the best Sooner trips I've had, with exception of a few others....

dcsooner
01-02-2016, 12:56 PM
I personally don't see the point of having the big 12 anymore. The conference has fallen and won't get up.

You are ABSOLUTELY Right.

Weak conference teams that do not prepare the one or two programs a year that maybe could compete for national competition. If YOU were a top recruit , would you rather play LSU ALA USC OHIO ST etc in conference play or KS, IA ST, OKST, KST, WV etc, I REPEAT Big 12 is DEAD, bowl performance and future playoff pairing will prove it.

Pete
01-02-2016, 01:44 PM
The conference brings in an absolute ton in TV revenue, which is why there are virtually zero independents any more.

We won't leave the Big XII until we find another good conference to land in.

C_M_25
01-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Big 12 is getting embarrassed. None of the games have even been close to competitive.

okatty
01-02-2016, 03:43 PM
I believe you have to separate what is happening on the field from the business side of the conference. Conference is getting blasted and embarrassed during bowl season no question. But nothing is going to happen to this conference until the two big brothers - Texas and OU decide there is a better alternative. And they are not going to admit teams who will just be taking another slice of the pie and not bringing money in (i.e. Memphis, Cincy, and so on).

What is happening on the field in my view is a reflection on how the teams have been constructed to deal with the high tempo big 12 offenses and then when placed into a game with as good or superior athletes they are getting manhandled in the trenches. You can't play Clemson and Ole Miss with the finesse type players you use to try to defend Baylor, TCU, OSU, etc. It's like the days of the old WAC - they'd play these fun high octane games and then get in a bowl game with OU, Michigan, etc and get abused. It's not to that extent but similar in concept.

My point is this is a gigantic business that rakes in money thru TV contracts regardless of the fact OU, OSU and others may lose their bowl games and we may all be pissed off watching it.

Jake
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Big 12 had a chance to make a statement this bowl season. Unfortunately, it has failed miserably. OU needs to be looking for options out.

dcsooner
01-02-2016, 06:17 PM

I do not think the b12 is a POWER conference. No team from the b12 will be looked upon favorably for the playoffs in the future (rightfully so) based on the dismal performance across the board of ALL the conference teams including the supposed elite teams this bowl season.

Proves OU was Overrated
blow this thing up now!

dcsooner
01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
The conference brings in an absolute ton in TV revenue, which is why there are virtually zero independents any more.

We won't leave the Big XII until we find another good conference to land in.

Pick one, the ACC, PAC 12, Big 10, SEC are ALL better than the big12

Roger S
01-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Had Baylor stayed healthy they would have been a legitimate threat to win the NC.

In all the Big XII bashing I'm seeing here. I have yet to see anyone comment on the way that Baylor absolutely destroyed their opponent without a QB.... They basically said we are going to run the ball and there is nothing you can do to stop us... And they freaking did it.

AS far as OU... Did any of you notice that Perine and Mixon both got banged up in that game? Any of you? That really limited OU's offense in the second half of that game and that's where they lost that game... Had the OU RB's stayed at 100%. I think it could have been a different outcome.

dcsooner
01-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Had Baylor stayed healthy they would have been a legitimate threat to win the NC.

In all the Big XII bashing I'm seeing here. I have yet to see anyone comment on the way that Baylor absolutely destroyed their opponent without a QB.... They basically said we are going to run the ball and there is nothing you can do to stop us... And they freaking did it.

AS far as OU... Did any of you notice that Perine and Mixon both got banged up in that game? Any of you? That really limited OU's offense in the second half of that game and that's where they lost that game... Had the OU RB's stayed at 100%. I think it could have been a different outcome.

I was at the game. They got banged up because they got HIT!. Who gives up a trick play for 50 yards in a NC playoff game OU. Who let's a know running QB run wild all game, OU. Clemson had much greater TALENT no matter Perine or Mixon. Go back and really watch that game with a football eye and you will see OU was overmatched

ljbab728
01-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Big 12 is getting embarrassed. None of the games have even been close to competitive.

You might want to ask Oregon how competitive the Big 12 is. LOL

Pete
01-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Wow, what a great comeback by TCU... The biggest in bowl game history.

And West Virginia is leading early in their game and looking very good.

Roger S
01-02-2016, 09:04 PM
I was at the game. They got banged up because they got HIT!. Who gives up a trick play for 50 yards in a NC playoff game OU. Who let's a know running QB run wild all game, OU. Clemson had much greater TALENT no matter Perine or Mixon. Go back and really watch that game with a football eye and you will see OU was overmatched

LMAO.... You say no matter Perine and Mixon being banged up and tell me to watch the game with a football eye? Sounds like you're the one turning the blind eye to the game.

okatty
01-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Since Texas Tech's 31-point comeback in the 2006 Insight Bowl, teams are 0-1,463 when trailing by 31 points in any point in the game - before tonight that is. Wow.

Roger S
01-02-2016, 09:09 PM

But we might as well cancel next years Big XII football season based on some peoples opinions though. :wink:

Tundra
01-02-2016, 09:15 PM
LMAO.... You say no matter Perine and Mixon being banged up and tell me to watch the game with a football eye? Sounds like you're the one turning the blind eye to the game.

They weren't going to run the ball on Clemson, healthy or not....it wasn't happening.

ljbab728
01-02-2016, 09:15 PM
But we might as well cancel next years Big XII football season based on some peoples opinions though. :wink:

Well, one person's opinion anyway. :)

dcsooner has a tendency to disappear when thing don't happen to fit his narrative and is quick to pop up when they do.

Roger S
01-02-2016, 09:19 PM
They weren't going to run the ball on Clemson, healthy or not....it wasn't happening.

Well it was obvious it wasn't going to happen in the second half but by that point Clemson had no doubt with two gimpy OU backs in the game..... If they had been 100% the whole game I would agree with you... But they weren't and trying to deny that them being hurt didn't have an effect on the game is turning a blind eye to the condition of OU's running backs.

MitchellCole
01-02-2016, 09:25 PM
ACC's bowl opponents:

Miami-Washington St (loss)
Duke-Indiana (win)
Virginia Tech- Tulsa (win)
Pitt-Navy (loss)
#10 NC- #17 Baylor (loss)
NC State-Miss St (loss)
Louisville-A&M (win)
#9 FSU- # 18 Houston (loss)
#1 Clemson-#4 OU (win)

4-5 total with a great win over OU, a win over unranked A&M, and perennial juggernauts Tulsa and Indiana. Losses to two non power-5 teams. Their 3rd best team lost to a team that DIDN'T HAVE A QUARTERBACK.

MitchellCole
01-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Big 10 was 5-5 with three of their best 5 teams losing 38-0, 45-16 and 45-6.

Tundra
01-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Well it was obvious it wasn't going to happen in the second half but by that point Clemson had no doubt with two gimpy OU backs in the game..... If they had been 100% the whole game I would agree with you... But they weren't and trying to deny that them being hurt didn't have an effect on the game is turning a blind eye to the condition of OU's running backs.

They exposed our weakness, which is our offensive line, they just aren't very good yet. Perine is a great back nearly everything he gets is cause he's a bruiser, with very little help from his line....they were man handled all day long by Clemson.

zookeeper
01-02-2016, 09:38 PM
Unbelievable TCU comeback. What a back story with the QB, too.

OU will be fine. I'm not the only one that thinks we need to recruit better in the trenches; but at skill positions Oklahoma can hold its own with anybody. Getting knocked around at the line offensively and defensively by teams from conferences that do a better job recruiting in the trenches needs to change. The skill players did fine most of the night. Really though, this is a big over-reaction. The problem was Mayfield being on the run from OU being blown out at the line from the time the ball touched his hands - that won't work against teams with the talent Clemson has.

Roger S
01-02-2016, 09:44 PM
They exposed our weakness, which is our offensive line, they just aren't very good yet. Perine is a great back nearly everything he gets is cause he's a bruiser, with very little help from his line....they were man handled all day long by Clemson.

I won't deny that the O-line was an issue all season.... But others are turning a blind eye to the condition of the backs.... Perine did break loose for a 17 yd run and a 9 yd run in the 1st quarter... Which was before he got hurt and once he got hurt Clemson didn't have to be as concerned about him breaking free and could key on other aspects of OU's offense.... But because I apparently didn't watch the game correctly.... Perine remaining 100% wouldn't have mattered anyhow because injuries have no effect on the game.

ljbab728
01-02-2016, 09:56 PM
But because I apparently didn't watch the game correctly.... Perine remaining 100% wouldn't have mattered anyhow because injuries have no effect on the game.

Of course injuries don't matter. Just ask Oregon. LOL

zookeeper
01-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I'm surprised this article wasn't from ESecPN:

The Big 12 Conference is hurting this bowl season, but TCU provided some help Saturday night.
Now 2-4, the league ranks second-to-last among all conferences. The only group of programs with worse showings are the American Athletic Conference (2-6) and independents (0-2), represented by BYU and Notre Dame.

Breaking down bowl records by conference: SEC leading the way with big Saturday; see where the Big 12 ranks | SportsDay-DallasMorningNews (http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/01/01/breaking-bowl-records-conference-pac-12-sec-leading-way-see-big-12-ranks)

ljbab728
01-02-2016, 10:17 PM
By the way, in case anyone has forgotten, the vaunted SEC west was 2 - 5 in bowl games last year. Does anyone think they should have dissolved and merged into the Big 12?

dcsooner
01-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Of course injuries don't matter. Just ask Oregon. LOL

Are you ignoring Clemson's significant missing players. The starting DB sent home with 2 other's and the defensive player who left in the first quarter? Still bullied OU

ljbab728
01-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Are you ignoring Clemson's significant missing players. The starting DB sent home with 2 other's and the defensive player who left in the first quarter? Still bullied OU

LOL, What does that have to do with my comment? You are losing more credibility all of the time, if that is possible.

ljbab728
01-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Arizona State also found out how "uncompetitive" the Big 12 is tonight also.

Roger S
01-03-2016, 08:59 AM

No. I'm looking at the game with a football eye. Very well aware of who didn't suit up and how those players, and the injured players, affected the game.

You have been the one denying that injuries affected the game despite the fact that Perine was on course for a 100 yard game based on his pre injury stats.

soonermike81
01-03-2016, 09:34 AM

Which starting DB was sent home? I thought it was their number 2 WR, a backup TE, and their place kicker.

Roger S
01-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Which starting DB was sent home? I thought it was their number 2 WR, a backup TE, and their place kicker.

It was a WR, K, & TE.... But don't pull the wool over his "football eye" with facts like that. After all they bullied OU to a 1 point halftime deficit.

Jake
01-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Both teams were injured. Clemson won the second half (by a lot) and won the game. They were the better team.

soonermike81
01-03-2016, 10:58 AM
I consider myself to be a very reasonable OU fan. I do agree that our players were getting banged up a little bit and that didn't help us. However, they were the much more physical team, and that probably contributed to a lot of our injuries. We lost the battle up front for sure, and we didn't wrap up to tackle. I feel like there were some blown calls and no-calls by the refs, but wouldn't have made a difference. They were the better team and deserved it.

Roger S
01-03-2016, 11:57 AM
They were the better team and deserved it.

Clemson played a great game and deserved to win. They did what a football team is supposed to do. Use it's strengths to exploit their opponents weaknesses. In the second half they did that nearly flawlessly.

C_M_25
01-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Hahaha, funny. It only took their starting QB and center to be knocked out of the game. Before that, it was a blowout.

C_M_25
01-03-2016, 07:36 PM
My issue with the Big 12 is that we are losing the battle in recruiting. Houston is competitive with the Big 12 and their recruiting class this year!! In the top bowl games that the Big12 played in, it was apparent that the opposing teams had bigger/faster/more physical players. The big 12 went 2-5 last year in bowl season, and we went 3-4 this year. Our teams were blown out in their games. I wouldn't expect a lot of respect at the start of the season next year. That being said, I can't wait for August! Football season is a lot of fun!!

soonermike81
01-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Hahaha, funny. It only took their starting QB and center to be knocked out of the game. Before that, it was a blowout.

Well if you want to argue that way, we can say the same for Boykin. If he would've played at all, Oregon would've never pulled away like they did and TCU would've won.

MitchellCole
01-03-2016, 09:59 PM
PAC 12 went 6-4 with AMAZING wins over perennial juggernauts BYU, New Mexico, Air Force, and Southern Miss. Their best team did beat Iowa. Their second best team lost to TCU's 5th year senior quarterback who had never started a game and had 2 days to prepare.