View Full Version : St. Luke’s United Methodist Satellite Church

Plutonic Panda
03-30-2015, 02:01 AM
They might be looking at building another iconic symbol along I-35

The Palm Sunday service at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church’s Edmond Campus will include the celebration of an anniversary and a new multimillion building project.

The Rev. Bob Long, senior pastor of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, said the church is moving ahead with a $10 million project to build a permanent home for its Edmond satellite.

He said the church, with a main campus at 222 NW 15 in Oklahoma City, will build its Edmond church on 12 acres of property on the west side of Interstate 35, south of Danforth Road and north of Second Street. Groundbreaking will be in April.

Long said the new church building will be 48,000 square feet and include a worship center, classrooms, a child care center, indoor children’s playground, chapel with a water feature adjacent to it, and walking trails. The project is expected to be completed around Easter 2016, he said.

Long said the kickoff of a capital campaign to raise money for the project began with a dinner Friday and comes along with the first anniversary of the St. Luke’s Edmond Campus, which meets on Sundays at Sequoyah Middle School.

Beyond expectations

He said the satellite church’s growth exceeded the megachurch’s leaders’ expectations in its first year, with an average of more than 250 people attending the Edmond service each week. Long said most of the people worshipping at the Edmond Campus were people who did not have a church home, and he expects more people will come once a new church building is completed.

Long said attendance is not the only aspect of the satellite he is pleased about. He said people who attend the Edmond worship services have become immersed in local mission and ministry efforts in the Edmond area.

Long said members of the satellite, led by the Rev. Josh Attaway, the Edmond Campus pastor, have participated in a Sequoyah Middle School mentoring program, the Edmond Turkey Trot and Turning Point Ministries and handed out bottled water to community residents at Heard on Hurd, a free street festival in Edmond. Long said young people attending services in Edmond have participated in the church’s mission efforts through trips to Kansas City, New York City and Honduras.

Megachurch row?

Opening a permanent campus along the I-35 corridor in Edmond will place St. Luke’s near at least two other megachurches — LifeChurch.tv at 4600 E Second St. and Henderson Hills Baptist Church, a Southern Baptist church, at 1200 E I-35 Frontage Road.

Long said St. Luke’s Edmond Campus likely will erect an iconic feature such as sculpture that will be visible to passers-by.

Joking, he said it probably won’t be a giant cross because “somebody has already done that,” referring to the huge cross (100 feet tall atop a 37-foot-tall base) on the property at LifeChurch.tv’s I-35 and Second Street complex.

- Downtown church to celebrate Edmond satellite's anniversary with building project | News OK (http://newsok.com/downtown-church-to-celebrate-edmond-satellites-anniversary-with-building-project/article/5405166)

David
03-30-2015, 07:10 AM
I'd be surprised if they go too crazy with it, this is a Methodist church we're talking about.