View Full Version : New Motorcycle Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

White Peacock
03-19-2015, 02:19 PM
We had an old thread on bikes/riding in the Transportation forum, but hopefully we'll be able to keep this one more active in the Open Topic forum. I've noticed we have a fairly decent sized motorcycling population here at OKC Talk, and springtime is upon us, so let's talk bikes!

Below is a potatocam shot of my 30 year old GN250 with my buddy's CB500F in the background. I've only been licensed to ride since November, so I'm still pretty terrified of everyone else on the road every time I go out, even if I'm having a blast riding at the same time. I just picked her up from the shop where I had a side kickstand mounted; one of the previous owners must have broken it off, as there was just a hole in the frame where the mounting points should have been. Wedman Motorsports did a fine job.

Imgur (http://imgur.com/i6ZdilK)

http://i.imgur.com/i6ZdilK.jpg

jerrywall
03-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Here's Maria.

She's my double deuce (02 Softail Deuce). I also have a Yamaha Virago that my wife rides sometimes when she's not riding with me as a backup bike. I can't stand the idea of not having two wheels beneath me.

White Peacock
03-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Here's Maria.

She's my double deuce (02 Softail Deuce). I also have a Yamaha Virago that my wife rides sometimes when she's not riding with me as a backup bike. I can't stand the idea of not having two wheels beneath me.

Nice bike! Our would-be backup bike is a Vulcan 750, but it needs an immense amount of sh!t done to it before it's roadworthy, including a title 42. So that might end up being a shed bike until I can bring myself to want to bother with the title paperwork. My wife will have the honor of picking out our next bike, so we'll likely end up with something along the lines of a Ninja or a CBR, although I prefer my sportbikes to be naked.

Rover
03-19-2015, 04:39 PM
One of the best kept secrets in towns is Darwin Motorcycles, a custom builder. Darwin builds Brass Balls bobbers and choppers. They have won several world championships in the production bike category at Sturgis. Local owner who builds them here in OKC in a shop just west of downtown.

Brass Balls Cycles (http://www.brassballscycles.com/bbc/digger.aspx)

White Peacock
03-19-2015, 05:36 PM
One of the best kept secrets in towns is Darwin Motorcycles, a custom builder. Darwin builds Brass Balls bobbers and choppers. They have won several world championships in the production bike category at Sturgis. Local owner who builds them here in OKC in a shop just west of downtown.

Brass Balls Cycles (http://www.brassballscycles.com/bbc/digger.aspx)

Well kept secret indeed; this is the first I've ever heard of them. They've got some ace looking machines! All of them well outside of my price range, unfortunately.

Urbanized
03-19-2015, 05:36 PM
We had an old thread on bikes/riding in the Transportation forum, but hopefully we'll be able to keep this one more active in the Open Topic forum...
Hey now...my Motorcycling in Oklahoma (http://www.okctalk.com/transportation/39096-motorcycling-oklahoma.html) thread went 4 pages between late September and December of last year...not too shabby in the winter if you ask me!

White Peacock
03-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Hey now...my Motorcycling in Oklahoma (http://www.okctalk.com/transportation/39096-motorcycling-oklahoma.html) thread went 4 pages between late September and December of last year...not too shabby in the winter if you ask me!

True that. I just assumed it died out due to the subforum it was in.

Urbanized
03-19-2015, 06:01 PM
You might be right that it could see more activity in this sub forum. Mods are welcome to merge mine into this one if they want to.

RadicalModerate
03-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Just last night I watched the American Pickers episode in which the bearded guy was on the cusp of acquiring an Actual Authentic Non-Restored H-D Knucklehead. Right after that, they were also unable to purchase an Original Flying Merkel. I was real happy with my '65 Panhead back in the early to late '70s. nuf sed. ('specially on account of this is a NEW motorcycle thread rather than the alternative.)

RadicalModerate
03-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Here's Maria.

mAQlg2qSR2w
tonight, for me, it is a 5Vegas Cask Strength Torpedo with a taste of Christian Bros. on the side. =)

rezman
03-20-2015, 04:43 AM
True that. I just assumed it died out due to the subforum it was in.

As well, that could have been just because it was winter time.

White Peacock
03-23-2015, 12:29 PM
I did a solo ride around Overholser yesterday; that's a pretty relaxing ride.

CaptDave
03-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Spent Daytona Bike Week with Victory Motorcycles and I really like their 2015 Gunner. Haven't been on a bike in over 25 years, but I'm thinking about that one....

White Peacock
03-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Spent Daytona Bike Week with Victory Motorcycles and I really like their 2015 Gunner. Haven't been on a bike in over 25 years, but I'm thinking about that one....

That is pretty damn sweet. I dig how the tail light is integrated flush into the fender.

bluedogok
03-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Congrats on the new "old" bike, it's a great starter.

Here's mine on the Peak to Peak Highway.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/561128_3405178699287_132198606_n.jpg?oh=514dd32ab3 38126156cd95a5a81337b8&oe=55AC4805&__gda__=1437389132_bbc12408d668ae29631db014e0c8707 b

Urbanized
03-23-2015, 08:46 PM
...I've only been licensed to ride since November, so I'm still pretty terrified of everyone else on the road every time I go out, even if I'm having a blast riding at the same time...

I'd recommend continuing to take safety classes. I've now taken 4 MSF classes and the DPS (Highway Patrol) class, and I have taken away new skills and confidence every time, even with 10 years of riding and many thousands of miles, and even though some of the classes were repeats. I especially recommend the "ready to ride" course for experienced riders, held at OSU-OKC. BTW...it's free!

Urbanized
03-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Oh...and also I oddly (disturbingly?) like watching motorcycle crash videos on YouTube. You can learn an awful lot about what NOT to do as far as passing, lane use, speed, visibility, etc., and if they don't convince you to ride with care, nothing will!

rezman
03-24-2015, 04:59 AM
Oh...and also I oddly (disturbingly?) like watching motorcycle crash videos on YouTube. You can learn an awful lot about what NOT to do as far as passing, lane use, speed, visibility, etc., and if they don't convince you to ride with care, nothing will!

I don't fell so bad now. I watch them too. It's bad enough when you mind your manners, but a lot of those guys take WAY too many chances, and as you've seen, many of them loose.

Urbanized
03-24-2015, 06:49 AM
It actually gives you some reassurance and confidence in what is covered in MSF and other motorcycle training classes. In most of those videos the motorcyclist is clearly wrong/reckless. Even in the ones where a car is obviously at fault the motorcyclist is almost always ignoring visual cues or the likelihood that the car will make a harmful move. In those cases training will teach you to remove yourself from the situation before it turns bad.

ctchandler
03-24-2015, 08:30 AM
I have to also mention a saying that I learned "Dress for the slide, not the ride". I know, it doesn't sound very nice, but it's true. Wearing the proper riding attire will go a long way in minimizing injuries when (not if) you go down. And I am a firm believer in classes. I took a class provided by the Edmond Police and it was really good. I was amazed at how much more I enjoyed riding after the class.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Congrats on the new "old" bike, it's a great starter.

Here's mine on the Peak to Peak Highway.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/561128_3405178699287_132198606_n.jpg?oh=514dd32ab3 38126156cd95a5a81337b8&oe=55AC4805&__gda__=1437389132_bbc12408d668ae29631db014e0c8707 b

(Waxing Nostalgic) . . .
We used to love to run the Peak-to-Peak Highway just about every weekend. Sometimes we went all the way from Estes Park to Idaho Springs, but usually we would hang a left on one of
the various "side canyon" roads that eventually led back to Boulder. The South St. Vrain was especially nice, as I recall. As good as all that was, I have to say that the best trip ever was over Trail Ridge Road. (this was all done on a 1970 BMW R75/5 . . . I wouldn't have trusted the Sportster I bought, later, to complete the trip. btw: The Honda 750 that a pal of mine was riding started having minor carburetor breathing issues near the crest of Trail Ridge. The BWM had no issues at all. =)

rezman
03-24-2015, 09:19 AM
That's good advice C.T. and Urbanized. I have about 40 years of motorcycling under my belt, but I can always learn something new. You never know when something WILL happen. Like those three riders who were mowed down up by Tryon last weekend. A motorist went off the road to his right, over corrected and went back on the road to his left across the center line and took out the three motorcyclists who were coming from the opposite direction. Unfortunately, there is nothing in defensive motorcycle riding techniques that would have saved those guys. I've had plenty of folks come over in my lane over the years, and I love riding the two lane roads , but the one thing that is always in the back of mind is when is someone going to cross that centerline and it will be my turn.

Urbanized
03-24-2015, 09:42 AM
I have to also mention a saying that I learned "Dress for the slide, not the ride". I know, it doesn't sound very nice, but it's true. Wearing the proper riding attire will go a long way in minimizing injuries when (not if) you go down...
ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time - Motorcycle Safety | atgatt.org (http://www.atgatt.org/)

On the Triumph board I frequent, a common refrain is "I'd rather sweat than bleed." I'll admit to playing it a little bit more loosely than I should, especially on my scooter, where I often wear shorts and even no helmet at times. On the Bonnie that's never the case.

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 10:01 AM
That's good advice C.T. and Urbanized. I have about 40 years of motorcycling under my belt, but I can always learn something new. You never know when something WILL happen. Like those three riders who were mowed down up by Tryon last weekend. A motorist went off the road to his right, over corrected and went back on the road to his left across the center line and took out the three motorcyclists who were coming from the opposite direction. Unfortunately, there is nothing in defensive motorcycle riding techniques that would have saved those guys. I've had plenty of folks come over in my lane over the years, and I love riding the two lane roads , but the one thing that is always in the back of mind is when is someone going to cross that centerline and it will be my turn.

After I moved to Oklahoma--and bought a "Rat Dresser" '65 Panhead, from a much older guy who was either retiring from motorcycles or stepping up to a better model--I got a job hauling paving equipment all over the place. I distinctly remember one afternoon when I was hauling a Permit Load (wide, bulldozer) from OKC to a spot south of Stuart. I was on Highway 1. It's a narrow two lane, with some gentle curves, and, as I headed east I encountered some biker gang going the other direction. I eased the rig as far to the right as I could without completely leaving the pavement and watched as the ones crowding the centerline flew by, oblivious to the fact that they were mere inches from the properly flagged edge of the blade. Later, I got severely clipped by some asshole out by Draper Lake who crossed the centerline and wrecked me, my girlfriend and my '71 Shovelhead. I'm not sure what the Karma is here . . . yet, I lived to wonder about it. =)

Edited to Add: As much as I used to love that indescribable feeling provided by riding a motorcycle, I am ashamed to say that even if someone gave me one of those super-slick and dependable new Harleys, I'd probably sell it: With all the cyberaddled idiots on the road today riding it would be like playing Russian Roulette. And, by all appearances, it's not going to get any better any time soon. (don't take that as dissin' Modern Motorcycling . . . I simply choose to enjoy it like a spectator sport these days.)

jerrywall
03-24-2015, 10:09 AM
ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time - Motorcycle Safety | atgatt.org (http://www.atgatt.org/)

On the Triumph board I frequent, a common refrain is "I'd rather sweat than bleed." I'll admit to playing it a little bit more loosely than I should, especially on my scooter, where I often wear shorts and even no helmet at times. On the Bonnie that's never the case.

Shorts? Never for me. Even with jeans I've got scars on my leg from pipe burns. I true to wear leathers when possible. Helmet I'm more on the border. Around town, the helmet restricts my vision and hearing so much that I feel it increases my chance of a wreck significantly. Long road trips/highway? Helmet.

Urbanized
03-24-2015, 10:29 AM
No pipe burns on scooters! Only asphalt burns.

Regarding a helmet, for around-town stuff I seriously recommend a Biltwell 3/4 helmet with a bubble shield. From a vision standpoint it;s like wearing no helmet at all. Fresh air on your face at all times, but not slamming your face. I got one last year and I'm completely converted. I usually wear a full-face Nolan when I know I'll be riding highways.

I don't wear leathers below the waist, but instead have Kevlar cargo pants and a pretty extensive (and expensive) selection of leg armor, hip//tailbone armor, and upper body armor. I also always wear either a leather jacket or armored mesh jacket depending on temps outside. I definitely gear up on the motorcycle. The scooter, not so much. Of course, that's mostly residential and CBD rides for me to and from work, etc. Most of my scootering is of the neighborhood street variety.

Urbanized
03-24-2015, 10:32 AM
This is the Biltwell Bonanza I have, except mine has a clear bubble shield. I've been thinking about getting shields with other tints (there are a ton), as they only run about $20.

https://3b0b747a213bc007f504-201cd9801cfd61c625913545c1a472ef.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/products/large_179_BubbleVisor_Mirror-Hlmt.jpg

rezman
03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
I hate to say it RadMod, But I'm getting there. As many people as I see running red lights, distracted by texting, GPS entering, phone calls, eating, applying make up, reading, fighting with the kids, ... you name it ... basically doing everything behind the wheel BUT driving, I have to admit that I am getting a little gun shy these days. The wife and I have been talking about getting a convertible, and I love classic/vintage cars as well. I did have my eye on a slick '56 Dodge Coronet .. tritone black, white and coral , beautiful. I love riding bikes though, and I know as soon as I got rid of it, I would miss it.

But in the mean time.... I had a nice ride with the wife this past weekend. There were a lot of bikes out, and beautiful weather. I too ride sans helmet sometimes when I'm just putt putting around, not far from home, but I always wear a helmet when riding farther distances and in the dark.

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Shorts? Never for me. Even with jeans I've got scars on my leg from pipe burns. I true to wear leathers when possible. Helmet I'm more on the border. Around town, the helmet restricts my vision and hearing so much that I feel it increases my chance of a wreck significantly. Long road trips/highway? Helmet.

Best Avatar, ever, for the concept, described. =)
Yet, even today, I remain a proponent of Head Protection Freedom of Choice.
I guess the combination of Henry Bellmon and Oklahoma after Colorado
Made a difference. =)
Not to mention Harleys as compared to BMWs as compared to RoadWay/TransCon/Leeway. =-)
(nor a general confusion of cybermotivatedmorons that seems to multiply exponentially)

btw: the night of the "Memorable Lane Cross-Over, out by Draper Lake" (back in '76) I chose to wear a helmet. It looked like a Denver Cop Helmet. It didn't look like a German Helmet. It was probably a wise choice.

mkjeeves
03-24-2015, 12:39 PM
I did a solo ride around Overholser yesterday; that's a pretty relaxing ride.

I used to do that regularly when I had a bike. I live just a few blocks away. I do miss riding.

In other biking experiences, I saw a dead guy in the middle of the road covered up with a sheet and a wrecked bike on the interstate in Jackson MS about a week ago. Sobering, to say the least.

White Peacock
03-24-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't throw a leg over a bike without my full-face helmet on. I have a leather jacket, and a textile jacket with armor, and my riding gloves. I don't have any protective pants yet; thinking about getting some basic textile pants with knee protection to wear over my jeans when commuting. And so far my Iron Rangers have served as pretty decent riding boots, although I'd like to get a dedicated pair for riding.

I did take the MSF BRC, and when I have time I would like to take the other courses.

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 01:17 PM
I used to do that regularly when I had a bike. I live just a few blocks away. I do miss riding.

In other biking experiences, I saw a dead guy in the middle of the road covered up with a sheet and a wrecked bike on the interstate in Jackson MS about a week ago. Sobering, to say the least.

Dang. That's not right.
Someone wasn't paying attention to driving.
nor even steering.

So . . . Does even "Peleton" welcome carbon fossil creators?
(feeble attempt to Accept the "Bicycle Lane" paradigm. =)
(which, of course, is beyond questioning)
(in terms of OKC on the downside of Oil Money)

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 01:34 PM
I just heard (on NPR and BBC) that an entire planeload of tourists crashed into a mountain.
I know that death by motorcycle is preferable to that alternative.
In any case.

rezman
03-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Best Avatar, ever, for the concept, described. =)
Yet, even today, I remain a proponent of Head Protection Freedom of Choice.
I guess the combination of Henry Bellmon and Oklahoma after Colorado
Made a difference. =)
Not to mention Harleys as compared to BMWs as compared to RoadWay/TransCon/Leeway. =-)
(nor a general confusion of cybermotivatedmorons that seems to multiply exponentially)

btw: the night of the "Memorable Lane Cross-Over, out by Draper Lake" (back in '76) I chose to wear a helmet. It looked like a Denver Cop Helmet. It didn't look like a German Helmet. It was probably a wise choice.

Speaking of which, I always thought it was ironic that many Harley riders touted "freedom of choice" when deciding whether to wear a helmet or not, but scoffed at an individual's freedom to choose to ride something other than a Harley.

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 04:08 PM
(
I have to also mention a saying that I learned "Dress for the slide, not the ride". I know, it doesn't sound very nice, but it's true. Wearing the proper riding attire will go a long way in minimizing injuries when (not if) you go down. And I am a firm believer in classes. I took a class provided by the Edmond Police and it was really good. I was amazed at how much more I enjoyed riding after the class.
C. T.

Well Typed, Young Sir.
(at the risk of being misinterpreted)
(and, as previously averted/duly noted

Pavement Rash (to the second degree)
is avoidable.
With proper dressing.
On a Motorcycle.
(if some asshole
on a cellphone is texting,
steer clear.)

Edited to Add:
Wud Up to Yo Mama and (/y)) De Veras Amigo.

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Speaking of which, I always thought it was ironic that many Harley riders touted "freedom of choice" when deciding whether to wear a helmet or not, but scoffed at an individual's freedom to choose to ride something other than a Harley.

I hope that a simple "Like" will suffice.
(except'n for the difference twixt ironic and iconic =)

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Preach it Brother: Safety in Traffic is a Good Thing
(yet choose not to text this message)
(especially while riding a motorcycle without a helmet)

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 04:45 PM
This is the Biltwell Bonanza I have, except mine has a clear bubble shield. I've been thinking about getting shields with other tints (there are a ton), as they only run about $20.

https://3b0b747a213bc007f504-201cd9801cfd61c625913545c1a472ef.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/products/large_179_BubbleVisor_Mirror-Hlmt.jpg

I'm not quite sure that "Snazzy" sums it up . . .

mkjeeves
03-24-2015, 04:56 PM
I just heard (on NPR and BBC) that an entire planeload of tourists crashed into a mountain.
I know that death by motorcycle is preferable to that alternative.
In any case.

Yeah, things happen. It did make me consider the same ^ types of options, since I was on my way to some risky fun. Adventure before dementia!

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Yeah, things happen. It did make me consider the same ^ types of options, since I was on my way to some risky fun. Adventure before dementia!

Would "Amen" be an appropriate response? =)
(in the interests of transparency, I watched the documentary "Gimmie Shelter"--second rate cinema vertie, involving the Rolling Stones, the Crowd, and The Hells Angels--and their motorcycles--last night. Now I'm "chillin'" with a fine cigar from the Dominican Republic to balance out the idiocy of the past (and the future). Is that so wrong? (I'd love to have my SoftTail Pseudo Chopper lurking in the garage behind me, but it would simply be gathering dust ^)

ctchandler
03-24-2015, 06:20 PM
My son's brother-in-law was a professional motocross rider and at one time was rated 19th in the country (still not good enough to make any real money). He knew how to take care of himself and was never seriously injured. When he retired at age 25 (typical for motocross), he bought a Harley and rode it without a helmet. One night he lost control at the I-44 entrance at Northwest 10th, hit the guard rail and he survived, but now he is forever 14. I believe in the right to choose, but I also believe people should be responsible, my son and his wife have spent a lot of time helping her brother and now he is in a facility where he will probably spend the rest of his life.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
03-24-2015, 08:34 PM

Yo . . . Amigo . . . I think that the proper word [as compared to "ironic
] is bulls****. Ain't it? No "racism" nor culturalism implied nor intended.
It's sort of a retired biker code thing . . . =)

Akin to Grey Hair beats Skin Color 24/7/365.
And Harleys are always better than Suzukis. =)

bluedogok
03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
(Waxing Nostalgic) . . .
We used to love to run the Peak-to-Peak Highway just about every weekend. Sometimes we went all the way from Estes Park to Idaho Springs, but usually we would hang a left on one of the various "side canyon" roads that eventually led back to Boulder. The South St. Vrain was especially nice, as I recall. As good as all that was, I have to say that the best trip ever was over Trail Ridge Road. (this was all done on a 1970 BMW R75/5 . . . I wouldn't have trusted the Sportster I bought, later, to complete the trip. btw: The Honda 750 that a pal of mine was riding started having minor carburetor breathing issues near the crest of Trail Ridge. The BWM had no issues at all. =)
I got used to fuel injection on the Triumph and never had an issue when bringing it up here from Austin. I haven't had any issue with the C14 either. My friend's 97 Blackbird is carb'd but he has had 100,000 miles to get it sorted out. His much newer Fireblade is F.I. so it isn't an issue.

The last time we took the road along the St. Vrain it was still messed up some from the floods last fall. Definitely improved over then but had some issues.

My cold motorcycle gear makes pretty good snow gear, I wore it when we went to Copper Mountain last week.

rezman
03-25-2015, 04:53 AM
I just recently installed a new Memphis Shades windshield on the VTX and have been looking into buying a set of Tsukayu Strong bags, with the quick release mounts. Anyone had any experience with these, or Tsukayu in general?

jerrywall
03-25-2015, 08:01 AM

I find that motorcycle riders of all stripes have those type of riders. For every harley rider I've seen scoff at another's choice of bike, I've seen 3 sports bike riders do the same. People just prefer their brands.

Now I will scoff at someone who spends $10-15k to get something that looks just like a Harley (but without any future resale value and long term availability of parts). I mean, someone wants to throw their money away on some knock off wanna be v-twin bagger, fine, but it doesn't make them less foolish.

I can say that as a group rider, we generally don't encourage sports bikes in our formations. Nothing against the bikes themselves, but they don't do as well in tight coffin formation on windy roads. We put the sports bikes in the back. With the trikes.

rezman
03-25-2015, 09:36 AM
For years I've told myself that when I grow up, I would buy a Harley ... It hasn't happened yet. No question, there's some darn nice ones out there, box stock. and they really are an investment. But I get as much enjoyment out of riding at 1/3 the cost,... or less, and arguably better reliability. I've never bought a brand new bike, and never lost money when I sold. Not on a street bike anyway (dirt bikes are a different story) ...... I either made a little bit or broke even. And I'm cool with that.

I never really cared to ride in large groups. Years ago I did it a few times, and while they really weren't organized club rides, I didn't like some self professed group leader telling me how and where to ride, plus dealing the other hot doggers. I know organized rides have rules and the leaders don't tolerate B S. I'm not knocking large group riding at all. For those who like it, more power to you. Enjoy this hobby/sport in what ever way that makes you happy. It's just not for me.

l like to ride in groups no larger than 4 or 5 , or by myself, or with the wife on back. In fact, I spend far more time riding by myself than at any other time. It's like therapy for me.

White Peacock
03-25-2015, 01:10 PM
The only Harley I have on my radar is the Iron 883; I prefer a more standard riding position. We used V-Star cruisers in the MSF, and I'm really not a fan of throwing my feet forward after takeoff.

White Peacock
03-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Anyone know of a quick way to go about getting a title 42?

ctchandler
03-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Rezman,
One of my favorite T-shirts said "I'd rather push my Harley than ride a rice-burner". I have only owned Yamahas but I would have enjoyed a Harley as a second bike.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
03-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Rezman,
One of my favorite T-shirts said "I'd rather push my Harley than ride a rice-burner". I have only owned Yamahas but I would have enjoyed a Harley as a second bike.
C. T.

On a visit to Arkansas, as a "yoot", in the vicinity of Fayetteville . . . in the direction of Goshen . . . my BMW that I rode all the way from Denver to OKC in one day with a strong wind from the north all the way across southern Colorado and that wasteland known as Kansas even unto a rest stop by the side of the road in some tiny burg that remains nameless (on my way to Arkansas, via OKC) my bike ran out of gas. At night. And mighty are the hills east of Fayetteville as you push your ride back to your girlfriend's Dad's house, that you are visiting. But I made it. =) I guess the lesson here is that it may be easier to push a Suzuki 250, and a Harley is acceptable . . . yet pushing a BMW exhibits class and determination. Oh! almost forgot: this was before cellphones and/or GPS to automatically call for assistance were invented.

rezman
03-27-2015, 04:48 AM
So goes the old saying, .... "It costs just as much to run 'em on empty as it does on full"

White Peacock
03-27-2015, 07:51 PM
On a visit to Arkansas, as a "yoot", in the vicinity of Fayetteville . . . in the direction of Goshen . . . my BMW that I rode all the way from Denver to OKC in one day with a strong wind from the north all the way across southern Colorado and that wasteland known as Kansas even unto a rest stop by the side of the road in some tiny burg that remains nameless (on my way to Arkansas, via OKC) my bike ran out of gas. At night. And mighty are the hills east of Fayetteville as you push your ride back to your girlfriend's Dad's house, that you are visiting. But I made it. =) I guess the lesson here is that it may be easier to push a Suzuki 250, and a Harley is acceptable . . . yet pushing a BMW exhibits class and determination. Oh! almost forgot: this was before cellphones and/or GPS to automatically call for assistance were invented.

Long term plan is to get an adventure bike and rig up a jerry can mount. Even my 250 is a bugger to push.

bluedogok
03-30-2015, 07:45 PM
The only Harley I have on my radar is the Iron 883; I prefer a more standard riding position. We used V-Star cruisers in the MSF, and I'm really not a fan of throwing my feet forward after takeoff.
I always called it the "giving birth" position.

Growing up on the enduros of the mid-70's the whole forward controls thing is just a foreign concept to me, my feet still go to the spot right underneath me when riding with forward controls.

We never rode in a tight formation, always a staggered formation.

jerrywall
03-31-2015, 08:06 AM
I always called it the "giving birth" position.

Growing up on the enduros of the mid-70's the whole forward controls thing is just a foreign concept to me, my feet still go to the spot right underneath me when riding with forward controls.

It's probably a knee thing for me, I need those forward controls. On any ride longer than 30 minutes I can't hardly walk if I can't extend my knees out in front of me.

Bill Robertson
03-31-2015, 11:16 AM
My son's brother-in-law was a professional motocross rider and at one time was rated 19th in the country (still not good enough to make any real money). He knew how to take care of himself and was never seriously injured. When he retired at age 25 (typical for motocross), he bought a Harley and rode it without a helmet. One night he lost control at the I-44 entrance at Northwest 10th, hit the guard rail and he survived, but now he is forever 14. I believe in the right to choose, but I also believe people should be responsible, my son and his wife have spent a lot of time helping her brother and now he is in a facility where he will probably spend the rest of his life.
C. T.I'm really not arguing against this. I hope nobody takes it that way. I've had friends with similar brain injuries happen as both MC riders and bicyclists and it's hard to see. I just have a different perspective to add as to why I, personally, don't wear a helmet.

While it wasn't due to any crash but to a disease my dad spent the last 35 years of his life with a perfectly functioning brain but an almost totally useless body. For him, as it would be for me, life like this was a living hell. The only reason he wasn't in some institution all those years was the fact that mom was a nurse. Now, picture the most careful rider you know and I guarantee you I'm at least as careful if not more. I'm a very conservative rider. If it's possible to be too conservative a rider I'm on the border. I have no plan to crash the bike. Still, I realize it could still happen. But my biggest fear is that if it did a helmet would protect my brain but my body or the connection between brain and body would be badly, permanently damaged. Just like dad. If I'm in a bad enough crash to sustain serious injury I pray that He just takes me home. It may be an odd way to look at it but it's how I feel.

And yes, in my avatar I'm wearing a helmet. That was taken on the ride Channel 9 has been doing the past couple of years. They require a helmet.

rezman
03-31-2015, 11:17 AM
It's probably a knee thing for me, I need those forward controls. On any ride longer than 30 minutes I can't hardly walk if I can't extend my knees out in front of me.

Same here. In my youngers days, I liked the standard bikes, and the "Attack" position that they offered, which allowed better control. I still like them, but my knees are worn out too, and I like the ability to stretch them out periodically with my semi forward controls and floorboards.

Bill Robertson
03-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Now, since my last post was a downer. I'll change direction. I love riding and I love dirt track racing which you can't see in OKC anymore. I've decided to combine the two. Last year I rode to Lawton and to Salina (OK not Kansas) for ASCS series races last year. This year I'm going to ride to Mesquite and Wichita Falls, TX and Park City and Hutchinson, KS for races there.

Bill Robertson
04-02-2015, 05:59 AM
WOW! I rode to work this morning for the first time with new LED bulbs in the headlight and driving lights. An amazing difference. The white light took a few miles to get used to but man are they bright. They light the road much better and reflective street signs light up a quarter of a mile away. I'm glad they are making bulbs now without having to replace everything and spending BIG dollars.

White Peacock
04-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Is wind scary on all bikes, or is it just because mine's small that I feel I'm being thrown around?

jerrywall
04-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Is wind scary on all bikes, or is it just because mine's small that I feel I'm being thrown around?

Larger bikes definitely handle the wind better. That being said, it's a matter of getting comfortable. I've been riding when it's so windy I've felt like I was riding at a 45 degree angle while going straight (from leaning into the wind).