View Full Version : I'm leaving OKC.

catch22
03-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Portland, Oregon

As some of you know who personally know me, and follow me on social media. I have accepted a job with my company in Portland, OR. I will be reporting sometime in the latter half of May.

The reason behind this is the outsourcing of my job at the airport. A topic for a different thread...but long story short: a company called G2 Staffing has bid to undercut the wages me and my coworkers make. The airline salivated at the cost saving potential. Therefore I am either forced to transfer or go on furlough. I have elected to transfer. I received three options -- Las Vegas, San Diego, and Portland, OR. I work outside, and have a very physical job. The idea of the summer desert sun in Vegas turned me away from that, and the extremely high cost of living in San Diego turned me away from my ideal climate of SoCal.

OKCTalk has provided me with many friends, both online, and those that have matured into actual physical face to face friendships. If it weren't for OKCTalk, I would not have met my best friend, Urban Pioneer. I would not have become as interested in what happens in OKC. I would not have questioned the things I thought I knew, and grew to develop my own opinions. I would simply not be the same person I am today.

While I won't be ending my membership here or letting my account go idle. (Although some of you may wish I did ;)) I do think it's fair I inform you all, just as I did my family and friends. I spend as much time or more interacting with the users here as I do my family, a lot who I have met and know in person now, but a lot who I will never meet.

Lately, I have not been contributing much. I haven't been posting, outside of a handful of threads. I am worn out. But I believe I have also embarrassed myself in a certain thread in the restaurant forum. Aside from that, my posts have been somewhat toxic lately, in general. My brain has been incredibly stressed -- worrying about my job..where I would be going..whether I would be able to finish school before I had to move...working 40 hours and going to school 32 hours a week...also dealing with a huge personal issue that I unfortunately cannot vent about to anyone except a handful of people who know. So stressed that the smallest things have been bugging me. Things have been bothering me that, in my normal state of mind, would not bother me. I can equate it to when you are just so tired and stressed, that someone entering the room and dropping a pen. The sound of the pen hitting the floor just makes you want to flip out. My comments have been reactionary, toxic, and unproductive lately. So to save you all the headache and myself the embarrassment I have not been posting much.

The next two months will be equally as stressful as I try and organize a living situation from 2,000 miles away. I have viewed over 80 apartments today in Portland -- from my laptop in OKC. And I have yet to find one I am confident in moving to. Hopefully I will come across something. Working for an airline -- budget is a huge factor, which limits me to somewhat less desirable areas. And not knowing the city at all, adds to that uncertainty.

This is getting a bit long -- but there it is. I'm leaving OKC. I won't be leaving OKCTalk, though.

HangryHippo
03-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Catch - I sensed this was coming just as soon as I heard about Uniteds cost cutting moves. And it is a shame. I have always enjoyed your posts as I almost always agree with you. It must be the OCD. OKC is losing a good one in you and I wish you all the best in Portland.

Urbanized
03-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Good luck Catch. You're gonna love it in Portland, but don't be a stranger here. You're a great contributor; glad to hear it won't end. Don't sweat the posts you're not proud of, BTW. We all have them, and those who say they don't are sociopaths.

Mel
03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Damn catch, I hate to hear you have to move because of cheaper contract workers. A lot of carriers have gone to this. I understand you want to keep your seniority and keep making the OT when you can get it.

Tigerguy
03-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Ah, I figured that was you on that Non-Av thread. Do try to make Portland a little less weird, okay? :D

Jeepnokc
03-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Hate to see you leave OKC but glad you are landing on your feet. Glad you won't be leaving OKCTalk. I enjoy your insights on the aviation threads

bradh
03-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Best of luck to you, and hopefully UA treats you right in PDX. And please, don't become homeless there 😄

ctchandler
03-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Catch,
I have enjoyed you for several years and fortunately we won't lose your comments. Let us know how you feel about Portland. Good luck and enjoy the great Northwest.
C. T.

catch22
03-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Thank you all!

Hopefully I can meet some of you all before I leave. I think Pete said he would have another meet-and-greet this spring so that may be an opportunity.

catch22
03-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Good luck Catch. You're gonna love it in Portland, but don't be a stranger here. You're a great contributor; glad to hear it won't end. Don't sweat the posts you're not proud of, BTW. We all have them, and those who say they don't are sociopaths.

Thanks. We actually sat at the same table at the Wheeler District charette. There were just some other people in the building who I did not want to know my real identity to my online one. So we've met each other before, you just wouldn't know it. :D

catch22
03-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Best of luck to you, and hopefully UA treats you right in PDX. And please, don't become homeless there ��

It's where the young go to retire!

Urbanized
03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks. We actually sat at the same table at the Wheeler District charette. There were just some other people in the building who I did not want to know my real identity to my online one. So we've met each other before, you just wouldn't know it. :D

Aha! Well, shoot. Wish I would have known!

catch22
03-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Aha! Well, shoot. Wish I would have known!

I wanted to tell you, you're one of my most respected users on the forum. We can grab a beer sometime or meet otherwise before I leave, if you want.

(Same offer applies to anyone else who would like to meet up in person)

Urbanized
03-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Sounds good, in! And thanks for the kind words. Bring UP along. He probably owes me a drink for some reason. ;)

Laramie
03-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Wish you the best in Portland, Catch 22.

You possess the attributes and attitude that will allow you to settle into your new destination, Portland! You will be missed.

Drop us a line from time to time; let us know what's happening in Portlandia!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_8TPb9P559_jgMb1rhG7pGaclOn8Op _6gWzo4mQaeAV8ti5QA6w https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6oZtKhAV3ASeJV7LfDBab4F3W0d2Ez HyqL1Pn6PNGNfw0HCbR

Best of luck, Laramie

Tritone
03-07-2015, 03:05 PM
I wish you well and thank you for your entries.

kevinpate
03-07-2015, 03:13 PM
catch, here's to safe travels and a good connection when you arrive so you can Keep Calm and Post On.

venture
03-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Best of luck to you sir. The industry is not for the weak hearted, but once the Jet A gets flowing in your veins it is hard to look anywhere else. PDX sounds like an amazing option. Definitely stay in touch!

Mel
03-07-2015, 03:40 PM
" once the Jet A gets flowing in your veins it is hard to look anywhere else " That kind of caught me by surprise. I have said the exact same thing to people. The sounds, the smells (especially when dumping the lav) and the challenge to get that plane turned around OT. You're doing the right thing catch.

gopokes88
03-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Enjoy Portland! Sorry to see you go!

catch22
03-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks all! It is true about aviation. It gets in your blood and is with you for life. People on the outside just don't understand.

zookeeper
03-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Good luck to you, Catch! Portland is a great city. OKC will be lesser for your loss - Portland's gain!

PennyQuilts
03-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Happy Trails. Enjoy the ride and maybe, someday, you'll come back to us. Portland's gain.

OKCbyTRANSFER
03-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Best of luck to you in Portland, I see that as a good match for you. Appreciate all posts on Midtown & aviation, I've learned a lot.

Spartan
03-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Portland's gain for sure. I'll be really interested to hear more about the city and how it works from Catch's perspective. I've had a lot of friends from both OK and OH making their way to Portland lately. I can really attest to the pull that city has with the best and brightest of my generation. Whether it's translating into huge economic growth now or not, it's going to pay off in a huge way as they are well-poised to explode in the future.

White Peacock
03-09-2015, 01:58 PM
As a former Portlander, I'm a bit envious. You're gonna love living between two mountain ranges, with snow-capped peaks and the beautiful coast within two hours drive from one of the coolest cities on Earth. And you'll actually be able to get a plate of real yakisoba!