View Full Version : Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Karried
09-07-2005, 05:32 PM
This happens to me whenever something horrible happens. I remember after our earthquake in 1989 - 7.2 Loma Prieta earthquake hit San Francisco Bay Area. Weeks after it happened, I couldn't shake the feeling of sadness and dread.

I was at a Stanford football game and happened to sit next to a nurse. Something happened, they played "God Bless America" or something like that and I burst into tears. I apologized to this stranger and she hugged me - she knew I was still trying to come to terms with a life that was somehow forever changed. Maybe a realization that bad things do happen and that we don't have control over our lives like we think we do. She explained that even if I hadn't realized it, I was probably suffering from a mild case of PTSD and that most everyone in N. CA was feeling the same way.

I'll bet after the tornados that hit Moore, people of OK were feeling the same.

It happened to me again on 9/11 (really badly) and now I can feel the same sense of sadness invading everything I do lately. On a daily basis, I'm in tears imagining the horrors that these people went through - trying to get their families to safety while their homes filled with water or having to leave beloved pets to drown, or coming back to a home that is lost or a city that no longer exists.

I know the way I am feeling is nothing compared to those who lost everything and it will pass but I'm wondering, do any of you feel really sad or go through this 'grieving' stage?