View Full Version : Prairie Artisan Ales

Jersey Boss
02-26-2015, 11:12 AM
top brewers, new brewers by country - ratebeer best (http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/BestBrewers-World2015.asp)
Prairie Artisan Ales Funky Gold Amarillo
Recently came across this rating of the top 100 brewers in the world. The lone Oklahoma based entity was Prairie Artisan Ales. It appears that one of the higher rates brews is their Prairie Artisan Ales Funky Gold Amarillo. The brew is classified as a sour/wild ale. I am unfamiliar with this style and would like an opinion of anybody that has indulged of this ale or any other offering from this brewery. Thanks.

elitespy
02-26-2015, 11:47 AM
I love Prairie, they are very particular on who gets their beer and luckily Skinny Slims is in good standing with them. Their Prairie Bomb and Tulsa Rugby Ale are my favorite's from them. I've never had the Funky Gold but would love to try it.

sooner88
02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
top brewers, new brewers by country - ratebeer best (http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/BestBrewers-World2015.asp)
Prairie Artisan Ales Funky Gold Amarillo
Recently came across this rating of the top 100 brewers in the world. The lone Oklahoma based entity was Prairie Artisan Ales. It appears that one of the higher rates brews is their Prairie Artisan Ales Funky Gold Amarillo. The brew is classified as a sour/wild ale. I am unfamiliar with this style and would like an opinion of anybody that has indulged of this ale or any other offering from this brewery. Thanks.

They have this on tap from time to time at Oak & Ore or you can buy the bottle at a number of stores around town. Sours are not for everyone, but I would give the style 2-3 tries before you make up your mind... it is definitely an acquired taste.

bradh
02-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Rugby Ale is great

The rest are alright if that's your thing. I feel too many brewers are just going out of their mind to be different now. Just make a good drinking beer and quit getting so fancy. It's why I've almost exclusively gone away from beer to bourbons now.

adaniel
03-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Prairie Ale getting some national love:

The Best Beer Is From Oklahoma (Naturally) (http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-best-beer-is-from-oklahoma-naturally-1689626687/+robharvilla)

okatty
03-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Dumb question but is ale like a cider? I think Woodchuck is a cider - so is that different in terms of how it's made from an Ale?

Mel
03-05-2015, 03:49 PM
I thought Woodchuck was a critter. Gotta get out more.

Dustin
03-05-2015, 07:03 PM
I've tried the Bomb and Cherry Funk. Cherry Funk was outstanding, but after I finished the beer, I had an allergic reaction and my nasal passages closed. I couldn't breathe. I don't really like real cherries, but I do like cherry flavored drinks and snacks, so maybe I'm allergic to the type of cherries they used to brew this particular beer.

I've never had any trouble with the Bomb which is an extremely flavorful, pitch black and THICK imperial stout. If you're a light-weight and you enjoy mild beers, this probably isn't the beer for you. It will knock you on your ass. When you first drink it, you get hints of vanilla, a strong coffee taste and just a hint of chilies in the back of your throat. It's an adventure.

ctchandler
03-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Dumb question but is ale like a cider? I think Woodchuck is a cider - so is that different in terms of how it's made from an Ale?

Okatty,
No, cider is a fruity drink, normally made from apples and can be very strong (alcohol wise), and ale is a beer.
C. T.

okatty
03-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Okatty,
No, cider is a fruity drink, normally made from apples and can be very strong (alcohol wise), and ale is a beer.
C. T.

Thanks C.T. So I guess you use all the hops and barley etc for ale. I hear of things like Reds Apple Ale and then all the stong ciders and wasn't sure. I like Woodchuck and Crispin etc. Fruity tooty.:rolleyes:

TU 'cane
03-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Prairie Ale getting some national love:

The Best Beer Is From Oklahoma (Naturally) (http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-best-beer-is-from-oklahoma-naturally-1689626687/+robharvilla)

Awesome, good to see.

Last year, Prairie was available in some form in nearly every decent liquor store around Tulsa.
This year, I'm finding it difficult to come across it as much, and I can't tell if it's simple supply/demand, or if it's due to what I've heard about them and their relations with various liquor stores. I've heard they are very particular to who they give their beer to and it's ticked off some liquor stores to where they refuse to order any more beer from them. And yes, these were first hand discussions with the liquor store owners. Either way, I love their beer.

ctchandler
03-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks C.T. So I guess you use all the hops and barley etc for ale. I hear of things like Reds Apple Ale and then all the stong ciders and wasn't sure. I like Woodchuck and Crispin etc. Fruity tooty.:rolleyes:

Okatty,
A lot of beers are using some form of fruit for brewing, and one I noticed and was convinced to try had pumpkin and it didn't sound good to me. Nothing wrong with pumpkin, just seemed strange in beer. But the beer was excellent and I couldn't taste any pumpkin, so it apparently adds to the flavor without taking over. Still, some of the really fruity ones just turn me off and I will probably not try them. Of course, never say never!
C. T.

ctchandler
03-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Speaking of ales, I just enjoyed one pint, 9.4 ounces of Anthem Count Pedro, aged in tequila barrels with habanero peppers, and it was excellent. I didn't expect a hot flavor, but there was a little heat and I loved it.
C. T.

Swake
03-08-2015, 05:24 PM
I had a couple of Prairie AAs at the Hard Rock last night, really good stuff.

TU 'cane
03-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Speaking of ales, I just enjoyed one pint, 9.4 ounces of Anthem Count Pedro, aged in tequila barrels with habanero peppers, and it was excellent. I didn't expect a hot flavor, but there was a little heat and I loved it.
C. T.

Haven't had that one yet but seems like one I'd try in a second.

I've been drinking some COOP Elevator Wheat. A little bitter (probably better when in season), but overall a decent wheat. Not the best, but definitely a wheat I can drink any time.

Wishbone
03-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Prairie's Limo Tint is pretty amazing.

Dustin
03-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Prairie's Limo Tint is pretty amazing.

That's their newest imperial stout, right? I need to get my hands on one. Where did you find it?

Wishbone
03-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Freemans on Western is where I got it. Yes it's a chocolate stout.

TheTravellers
03-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Limo Tint is good, but can't beat Young's Double Chocolate Stout in a can with a widget... Found Limo Tint at Bacchus on NW 170-something and May.