Arkansas – 45%
South Carolina – 42%
Tennessee – 42%
Kentucky – 41%
North Carolina – 40%
Georgia – 39%
Texas – 39%
Oklahoma – 39%

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/whv6ujwyukyb7q_r-y5vua.png
- Frequent Church Attendance Highest in Utah, Lowest in Vermont (http://www.gallup.com/poll/181601/frequent-church-attendance-highest-utah-lowest-vermont.aspx?utm_source=Social%20Issues&utm_medium=newsfeed&utm_campaign=tiles)

Chadanth
02-19-2015, 05:20 AM
I'm a little surprised texas and Oklahoma came in so low.

Zuplar
02-19-2015, 07:12 AM
If that graph doesn't depict the bible belt and buckle I don't know what does. Just goes to show that church is still a booming business in the south.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-19-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm a little surprised texas and Oklahoma came in so low.

Same here.

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Oh, jeeze. Let's track down and "expose" where the Muslims and Quakers have taken over, too. What is this religion obsession? Someone please explain why this is even a thing.

Jersey Boss
02-19-2015, 09:04 AM
I read this article awhile back and it offers a somewhat different view. The article mentions the "halo effect" and how folks tend to over report things such as church attendance as well as under report things such as frequency of drinking alcoholic beverages. It appears that there are other factors in play also when arriving at church attendance numbers and how Gallup which reports that 40% of Americans are regular church goers.

7 Startling Facts: An Up Close Look at Church Attendance in America (http://www.churchleaders.com/pastors/pastor-articles/139575-7-startling-facts-an-up-close-look-at-church-attendance-in-america.html)

Motley
02-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Gallup takes polls on all kinds of topics. A more interesting site is Nate Silver's fivethirtyeight.com in which they analyze the meaning of the polls.

CuatrodeMayo
02-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Then there's Utah...

kelroy55
02-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Oh, jeeze. Let's track down and "expose" where the Muslims and Quakers have taken over, too. What is this religion obsession? Someone please explain why this is even a thing.

Please explain why most the posts on here is even a thing. It seems you're the only one that is upset about this thread.

Chadanth
02-19-2015, 10:05 AM

Wow, I didn't even start mocking religion yet and you got worked up.

Bunty
02-19-2015, 10:41 AM

Simply go to the State Capitol and view the Ten Commandments monument. Instead of that thing, I'd far rather see a monument to the Bill of Rights, considering how often it is that the legislators pass unconstitutional bills and leave the taxpayers the bill from defending them. But then maybe religious right Republicans would think that's a bad idea since it would constitute worshiping government.

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Wow, I didn't even start mocking religion yet and you got worked up.
It's an honest question, C - why in the world is there such obsession over it? Who cares? And why? I don't get it. It made sense for competing churches who actually believe to be interested in what other churches are saying. But so many people who don't even go to church seem so fixated with the whole concept? Why?

Tigerguy
02-19-2015, 01:54 PM
It's an honest question, C - why in the world is there such obsession over it? Who cares? And why? I don't get it. It made sense for competing churches who actually believe to be interested in what other churches are saying. But so many people who don't even go to church seem so fixated with the whole concept? Why?

Ummm...am I missing something here? I see a map about which states go to church, and that's it. It's just an interesting statistic. I got no vibe that somebody was trying to lay out the bait for a conversation about a war on religion, or some such thing. I don't even know what to call it because I definitely didn't infer any of that from the infographic or the initial comments.

kelroy55
02-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Ummm...am I missing something here? I see a map about which states go to church, and that's it. It's just an interesting statistic. I got no vibe that somebody was trying to lay out the bait for a conversation about a war on religion, or some such thing. I don't even know what to call it because I definitely didn't infer any of that from the infographic or the initial comments.

Reactions like PQ's is why a lot of religious people say there's a war on religion when in fact there isn't one.

Mel
02-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Wasn't surprised at all to see Utah as No. 1 and cali not even mentioned.

bchris02
02-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Whenever you have a fundamentalist religious sect wanting to enshrine a narrow interpretation of their sacred text into law and legally discriminate against non-believers, there is going to be some pushback. Religion is a personal matter and a true conversion to Christianity happens in the heart of the believer, as a personal commitment between the believer and God. It is NEVER by force or by rule of law. The Catholic Church in medieval Europe didn't get it and the Fundamental Baptist church in America doesn't get it today.

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Why would anyone care enough to even post it? And, presumably, it wasn't found in some obscure book on a shelf - someone no doubt placed it on social media somewhere to get picked up and posted here. My question remains - why on earth does anyone care?

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Whenever you have a fundamentalist religious sect wanting to enshrine a narrow interpretation of their sacred text into law and legally discriminate against non-believers, there is going to be some pushback. Religion is a personal matter and a true conversion to Christianity happens in the heart of the believer, as a personal commitment between the believer and God. It is NEVER by force or by rule of law. The Catholic Church in medieval Europe didn't get it and the Fundamental Baptist church in America doesn't get it today.

I get why the fanatics are interested - but surely you aren't suggesting it is mainstream to be nuts about this, are you? Why in the world would a healthy adult care how many people go to church in a given state? Are they afraid of these people, or what? The stats mean little. Look at the map - is anyone really worried that those states with highest church attendance are going to take over? Seriously?

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 03:28 PM
From the article:

Ten of the 12 states with the highest self-reported religious service attendance are in the South, along with Utah and Oklahoma. The strong religious culture in the South reflects a variety of factors, including history, cultural norms and the fact that these states have high Protestant and black populations -- both of which are above average in their self-reported religious service attendance. Utah's No. 1 position on the list is a direct result of that state's 59% Mormon population, as Mormons have the highest religious service attendance of any major religious group

Jersey Boss
02-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Good god, if you don't like the show that's on, you are free to watch another channel, or turn off the television. If you don't like the thread, go to a different one or turn off the viewing device.

Tigerguy
02-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Why would anyone care enough to even post it? And, presumably, it wasn't found in some obscure book on a shelf - someone no doubt placed it on social media somewhere to get picked up and posted here. My question remains - why on earth does anyone care?

Because they thought it might be interesting to see a snapshot about churchgoers in the United States, maybe? Why does anybody post in the political forum if nobody's going to change their minds? Why does anybody rant about OU or OSU or the Thunder when Stoops, Gundy, and Presti aren't going to do anything based on their rants? Heck, it opened a few eyes that, for as religious as Oklahoma is held up to be, the number is only 39%.

If they wanted to start that kind of conversation, I think the OP would have enough courage to come out and say so instead of just leaving a picture and an article hanging out in the open. Or, there's this, Gallup's reason for conducting all of these polls in the first place:

"This story is part of Gallup's annual "State of the States" series, which reveals state-by-state differences on political, economic, religion and well-being measures."

Maybe people care because they like to see how the country looks state-by-state on political, economic, religion, and well-being measures.

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Here's my question, not answered. Why is this interesting? Is there a connection to the nonstop Christian bashing or just pure Intellectual, idle curiousity? A number of posters on this thread seem to be aghast that I ask the question. I'm getting eyebrows raised - but if someone posted similar graphs on Muslim mosque goers, let's get real - the posts would come hot and heavy suggesting there was some sort of agenda leading to posting it.

turnpup
02-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Penny, I'll answer your question directly. I don't know about anybody else on here, but I just thought it was interesting to see the distribution of people who regularly attend religious services throughout the U.S. I found it curious that the New England states were the least likely to have regular worshippers. I wonder why? And, as somebody else said, surprised that California and Washington and Oregon were not in the grey category. So for me, there was some basic non-politically charged information to be gleaned from that article and graphic.

By the way, if you read the article linked to the original post, it asks whether you attend "church, synagogue or mosque", so presumably it would include andy Jews or Muslims who were part of the survey. So this isn't only about Christians.

Motley
02-19-2015, 05:25 PM
My guess is most people on this blog like factoids for intellectual reasons. There are polls and lists out on all types of trivial information. Remember how USAtoday use to have the graph of the day full of useless information? Fun to read while wasting time at the airport.

Was Gallup commissioned to do this poll and publish the results by someone with an agenda? I don't know.

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Penny, I'll answer your question directly. I don't know about anybody else on here, but I just thought it was interesting to see the distribution of people who regularly attend religious services throughout the U.S. I found it curious that the New England states were the least likely to have regular worshippers. I wonder why? And, as somebody else said, surprised that California and Washington and Oregon were not in the grey category. So for me, there was some basic non-politically charged information to be gleaned from that article and graphic.

By the way, if you read the article linked to the original post, it asks whether you attend "church, synagogue or mosque", so presumably it would include andy Jews or Muslims who were part of the survey. So this isn't only about Christians.
Very good point about how this wasn't limited to Christians. I was thinking Christian because of the categories listed and the use of the word Church rather than including synagogue or Mosque. The NE has been abandoning church attendance for quite a long time, which really is interesting when you consider they were the cradle of the Puritans and where so many landed seeking religious freedom. I've read about the progression of ultra religious to pretty secular in that region and it is quite fascinating.

Mel
02-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Too bad D.C. Isn't listed separately. It would be the only black area on the map. That is a political statement and nothing to do with race.

Chadanth
02-19-2015, 07:52 PM

Because religion influences politics and economics. Did california propose a bill to fire court clerks for recognizing gay marriage? Is New York trying to ban AP courses? It matters.

PennyQuilts
02-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Because religion influences politics and economics. Did california propose a bill to fire court clerks for recognizing gay marriage? Is New York trying to ban AP courses? It matters.

Every state out there has wackiness, including California and New York. If memory serves, btw, California overwhelming supported traditional marriage and got that tossed out by their courts. If silly stories about Oklahoma were posted by people who just are opposed to silliness or who seemed to have a genuine love and respect for the state and its people (including the rubes) it would be one thing. It is pretty much nonstop looking for things to swoon over, insistence that we are just the laughing stock of the country and completely ignoring what is going on, nationwide. Be honest, there is a very busy group absolutely convinced Oklahoma leads the nation in being racist, sexist, intolerant, etc. They don't make the slightest effort to be fair minded, evenhanded or rational about it.

ljbab728
02-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Here's my question, not answered. Why is this interesting? Is there a connection to the nonstop Christian bashing or just pure Intellectual, idle curiousity? A number of posters on this thread seem to be aghast that I ask the question.

PQ, without getting into a discussion about the subject matter, it appears to me that most other posters may have been aghast more at the way you originally phrased the question, rather than the question itself. I know you're not a person of few words but sometimes fewer words really are better. :)

Plutonic Panda
02-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Here's my question, not answered. Why is this interesting? Is there a connection to the nonstop Christian bashing or just pure Intellectual, idle curiousity? A number of posters on this thread seem to be aghast that I ask the question. I'm getting eyebrows raised - but if someone posted similar graphs on Muslim mosque goers, let's get real - the posts would come hot and heavy suggesting there was some sort of agenda leading to posting it.my apologies. I did not mean to cause any anger by nor did I have any hidden agenda by posting it. I just thought it was intersting because I expected Oklahoma to be much higher in church attendance and was surprised to find us at the end of the top 12. Again, sorry if this angered you or anyone else.

Chadanth
02-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Be honest, there is a very busy group absolutely convinced Oklahoma leads the nation in being racist, sexist, intolerant, etc. They don't make the slightest effort to be fair minded, evenhanded or rational about it.

I assume you mean the state legislature.

BrettM2
02-20-2015, 05:19 AM
my apologies. I did not mean to cause any anger by nor did I have any hidden agenda by posting it. I just thought it was intersting because I expected Oklahoma to be much higher in church attendance and was surprised to find us at the end of the top 12. Again, sorry if this angered you or anyone else.

You upset one person and that wasn't even your fault. Don't apologize.

Dubya61
02-20-2015, 09:41 AM

That's very interesting to say. Do you believe that the Fundamental Baptist church (is there even such an organization?) has the same power that the Catholic Church had?

Throckmorton
02-20-2015, 10:13 AM
my apologies. I did not mean to cause any anger by nor did I have any hidden agenda by posting it. I just thought it was intersting because I expected Oklahoma to be much higher in church attendance and was surprised to find us at the end of the top 12. Again, sorry if this angered you or anyone else.

Forget it PluPan, it's PennyQuilts.

TheTravellers
02-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Every state out there has wackiness, including California and New York. If memory serves, btw, California overwhelming supported traditional marriage and got that tossed out by their courts. If silly stories about Oklahoma were posted by people who just are opposed to silliness or who seemed to have a genuine love and respect for the state and its people (including the rubes) it would be one thing. It is pretty much nonstop looking for things to swoon over, insistence that we are just the laughing stock of the country and completely ignoring what is going on, nationwide. Be honest, there is a very busy group absolutely convinced Oklahoma leads the nation in being racist, sexist, intolerant, etc. They don't make the slightest effort to be fair minded, evenhanded or rational about it.

Can you cite any statistics or any links or anything else that shows that any other state is at the level of OK as far as discrimination against LGBT people, against the FOIA, against minimum wage hikes, against modern liquor laws, against income equality, against health care improvements, against contraception rights, against abortion rights, against marijuana, against education, against freedom of religion, against pretty much everything that would be good for the nation and people of the nation as a whole? Not sure if you can show that there is a state out there that lives up to (or down to) OK's reputation for all that...

You do realize that media all over the nation has a story about OK about every 3-5 days, about something (generally agreed upon as) stupid that has been done or proposed here, right? Yes, other states have stupidity going on, too, but I don't see nearly as many stories about them on a continuing basis as I do for OK.

bchris02
02-20-2015, 10:36 AM
That's very interesting to say. Do you believe that the Fundamental Baptist church (is there even such an organization?) has the same power that the Catholic Church had?

No, but they seek that kind of power. If they could get it, they would establish a fundamentalist Christian state that wouldn't look that much different from the Islamic Middle East. The movie V for Vendetta paints a pretty accurate picture of what the society they want would look like. Their roadblock is the US Constitution, specifically the 1st Amendment.

venture
02-20-2015, 10:48 AM

You are good Plu. I like posts with numbers and maps like these - regardless of the root topic. Thank you! There will always be one person who goes crazy overboard, but that's always bound to happen when they are looking for some secret hidden agenda.

Studying Okie
02-20-2015, 04:20 PM
"Ten of the 12 states with the highest self-reported religious service attendance are in the South, along with Utah and Oklahoma. "

Hmm seems like 11 out of 12 states are in the South, Gallup.

zookeeper
02-20-2015, 04:40 PM
"Ten of the 12 states with the highest self-reported religious service attendance are in the South, along with Utah and Oklahoma. "

Hmm seems like 11 out of 12 states are in the South, Gallup.

Here we go again. Is there another state in the country with as much confusion as to their geographic region? Most people don't consider Oklahoma part of the "South." Then again, it depends on how many geographic areas you want to count. If we include, "Plains States" we could maybe all agree with "Southern Plains," but that isn't always an option depending on how many regions are used. I even see Midwest and Southwest used for Oklahoma. I don't think this will ever be solved unless there's a re-alignment of the U.S in our future.

Mel
02-20-2015, 06:44 PM
I vote Southern Plains.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2015, 09:19 PM
No one was angered. But you make the great point that there is just a fixation on many that Oklahoma is full of religious fanatics. That's why you posted this - because it surprised you that it isn't meeting the stereotype.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2015, 09:21 PM
PQ, without getting into a discussion about the subject matter, it appears to me that most other posters may have been aghast more at the way you originally phrased the question, rather than the question itself. I know you're not a person of few words but sometimes fewer words really are better. :)
There is a certain group on this board who is aghast at anything I write and if it ain't PC, it sends them into a tizzy. Promise you, if someone had posted where the most active mosques were, they'd have had a completely different response.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2015, 09:22 PM
I assume you mean the state legislature.
Nope, I mean the rank and file progressives.

ljbab728
02-20-2015, 09:22 PM
There is a certain group on this board who is aghast at anything I write and if it ain't PC, it sends them into a tizzy. Promise you, if someone had posted where the most active mosques were, they'd have had a completely different response.

Could be, but that doesn't change my point.

Chadanth
02-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Nope, I mean the rank and file progressives.

Are they the ones proposing to fire court clerks for issuing marriage licenses and decrying AP history classes because they teach actual American history? Progressives don't runny this state, and mainstream republicans are the only firewall we have against nuts like Kern.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Can you cite any statistics or any links or anything else that shows that any other state is at the level of OK as far as discrimination against LGBT people, against the FOIA, against minimum wage hikes, against modern liquor laws, against income equality, against health care improvements, against contraception rights, against abortion rights, against marijuana, against education, against freedom of religion, against pretty much everything that would be good for the nation and people of the nation as a whole? Not sure if you can show that there is a state out there that lives up to (or down to) OK's reputation for all that...

You do realize that media all over the nation has a story about OK about every 3-5 days, about something (generally agreed upon as) stupid that has been done or proposed here, right? Yes, other states have stupidity going on, too, but I don't see nearly as many stories about them on a continuing basis as I do for OK.
Oh, jeeze, here we go. I will so glad when this whole PC movement runs out of steam and people get tired of monitoring what other people believe and start concerning themselves with how people actually treat others. I could argue with you until the cows come home on a number of your issues but it won't matter - you've bought into the whole pc think and the media types know what sort of stories lead to click bait. There are a lot of sides to every issue but if you are so closed minded you aren't interested in anything but the position of the terminally outraged fringe left, no point in discussing it. Truth is, I care a great deal about whether people are fair and kind. Most people in Oklahoma feel the same way. I don't give a flip what other people believe or what their values are - that is their business. When you have that attitude and come up against someone who thinks the state of the soul of everyone around them is subject to judgment and shame, it is no wonder there are problems.

Zorba
02-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Here's my question, not answered. Why is this interesting? Is there a connection to the nonstop Christian bashing or just pure Intellectual, idle curiousity? A number of posters on this thread seem to be aghast that I ask the question. I'm getting eyebrows raised - but if someone posted similar graphs on Muslim mosque goers, let's get real - the posts would come hot and heavy suggesting there was some sort of agenda leading to posting it.

First, the Gallup poll is inclusive of all religions in the US, not just Christian Churches. So Mosque goers are counted just as Church goers.

Muslims populations in the US (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/most-and-least-muslim-states_n_1626144.html)

A more dated (http://www.islam101.com/history/population2_usa.html) but interesting article

Here you can find many Gallup polls on religion. I personally find many of them interesting: Religion | Gallup Topic (http://www.gallup.com/topic/religion.aspx)

Gallup has also done a series of polls on differences in word usage between the states, for example what do the different states call a soft drink. It is interesting to learn about regional differences.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2015, 09:32 PM
No, but they seek that kind of power. If they could get it, they would establish a fundamentalist Christian state that wouldn't look that much different from the Islamic Middle East. The movie V for Vendetta paints a pretty accurate picture of what the society they want would look like. Their roadblock is the US Constitution, specifically the 1st Amendment.
The movie V. There's part of the problem. It is a movie - not real life. What you are saying is truly nuts. People really aren't trying to take over the country and impose some sort of Americanized sharia law and if you have a few nutjobs, they're just nuts and no danger. The very people you fear the most are also the ones most supportive of the Constitution and the rule of law.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Are they the ones proposing to fire court clerks for issuing marriage licenses and decrying AP history classes because they teach actual American history? Progressives don't runny this state, and mainstream republicans are the only firewall we have against nuts like Kern.
The Kern fixation is a waste of time and energy but she is the low hanging fruit. The only people who really care about what she says are the left - they go wild. The rest of us just shrug an say, meh. Who cares, it isn't going anywhere.

As to the AP history classes, I agree, it seems odd but every article I've read about it points out that Oklahoma is only one state of many that has similar concerns.

This is a conservative state. Get over it. Pretending that makes it some sort of dangerous, wacky, crazed, out of step fanatical nuts only works if you hold it up against some sort of a far left fringe group leftist advocate. There is not a state out there that doesn't have similar things going on and the only thing different about Oklahoma besides it is right in font of us, is that it dares to be conservative and the left just can't stand it. Most all the complaints they have can be countered by a perfectly legitimate differences of opinion but they prefer to engage in hysterical stereotyping and ignoring the craziness the left engages in, elsewhere. The only reason we don't see crazy left wing things, here, is because they don't get elected here. If someone thinks Oklahoma "proves" that conservatives are evil and crazy, it is because they aren't thinking it through. Go hang out in a blue state for awhile and then come back and be able to make a comparison on wackiness and evil. You'd just get a different flavor.

Chadanth
02-20-2015, 09:50 PM
The Kern fixation is a waste of time and energy but she is the low hanging fruit. The only people who really care about what she says are the left - they go wild. The rest of us just shrug an say, meh. Who cares, it isn't going anywhere.

As to the AP history classes, I agree, it seems odd but every article I've read about it points out that Oklahoma is only one state of many that has similar concerns.

This is a conservative state. Get over it. Pretending that makes it some sort of dangerous, wacky, crazed, out of step fanatical nuts only works if you hold it up against some sort of a far left fringe group leftist advocate. There is not a state out there that doesn't have similar things going on and the only thing different about Oklahoma besides it is right in font of us, is that it dares to be conservative and the left just can't stand it. Most all the complaints they have can be countered by a perfectly legitimate differences of opinion but they prefer to engage in hysterical stereotyping and ignoring the craziness the left engages in, elsewhere. The only reason we don't see crazy left wing things, here, is because they don't get elected here. If someone thinks Oklahoma "proves" that conservatives are evil and crazy, it is because they aren't thinking it through. Go hang out in a blue state for awhile and then come back and be able to make a comparison on wackiness and evil. You'd just get a different flavor.

I've lived in blue and purple states, and they have their own version of crazy. I live here now, so I focus my attention here. It's not unusual or wrong to want more responsible and reasonable governance in the state in which you reside and pay taxes.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2015, 09:53 PM
I've lived in blue and purple states, and they have their own version of crazy. I live here now, so I focus my attention here. It's not unusual or wrong to want more responsible and reasonable governance in the state in which you reside and pay taxes.
I wouldn't lump you in with the home ground progressive wingnuts who are the most vocal in hating on Oklahoma and look for any evidence that they are going to get embarrassed on the playground.

Bunty
02-21-2015, 10:41 AM
I hope PennyQuilts feels the same way.