View Full Version : 1976 Cub/Boy Scouts planting trees and time capsules at OK fairgrounds

capt_john_97
02-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Does anyone remember this event? I am really wondering whatever happened to our time capsules. I know it was nothing more than a couple of paragraphs written on some paper put into a coke bottle and sealed with tar. the council seems to have lost the records. If I recall correctly we were over by the old council office but west of there closer to All-Sports Stadium (really 1-sport stadium). Anybody have any knowledge of whether the time capsules stayed in the gorund or if they pulled them to be opened at a later date? Where the trees were plated etc.?

Joe Kimball
02-17-2015, 05:44 PM
As a Scout myself, I was intrigued by this, so I went ahead and looked this up.

An article in The Oklahoman, dated February 24, 1975, stated that 1,776 trees would be planted at various locations around the fair, with a bottle beneath each contained hopes for himself and his country. The bottles were slated in the article to be opened back in 2000.

AND an article dated October 18 of 2000 states that they were scheduled to regather at carriage hall to witness a plaque unveiling, and the reading of "several" letters in bottles that have been retrieved...which leads me to think that some were not recovered?

This just to tide you over until someone involved shows up.

EDIT: A pretty big article from October 22nd of that year goes into some detail, stating that only a few hundred trees remained due to expansion, weather and drought, and 22 bottles were recovered.