View Full Version : Water System Capital Improvements

mkjeeves
02-16-2015, 10:35 AM
From the headlines on the Daily today:

They plan to lay a 29-mile pipeline connecting the Lake Stanley Draper treatment plant with a booster station at W Reno Avenue and N Council Road, and another 7 miles of pipeline to connect the booster station with an elevated tank on Cemetery Road south of W Reno Avenue.

That pipeline will improve the ability to move water from where it’s most plentiful to residents in other areas, said Larry Hare, an engineer with the city’s utilities department.

“Trying to get water to everybody is our No. 1 priority,” Hare said. “We’re always looking for ways to get this done.”

The project is a part of the city’s five-year capital improvement plan. City officials said the plan’s overall price tag isn’t yet known, but about 75 percent of the pipeline project has been completed at a cost of $67 million.

http://www.oklahoman.com/oklahoma-city-officials-look-to-pipeline-project-to-help-mitigate-drought/article/5393841

I know a rate hike, including staggered rates for more use, was passed to fund capital improvements recently, but I'm amazed to find out they moved this fast on the pipeline if this is part of that, especially it it is actually 75% complete. I've seen a lot of activity around that station on Reno NW of the outlet mall and now I know what that's about. Part of the capital improvements were to construct a pipeline between Draper and Hefner. I assume this pipeline just takes some of the load off the Hefner/Overholser system and the actual connect all the way to Hefner will be later?

bradh
02-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Yes this line has been under construction since I want to say 2007. The are on the last phases now. I'm not sure when that line to Hefner will be done, but that 30" line from the pump station by the outlet mall all the way out to that tank is already mostly built as well. Another planned extension is a 42" line out west along Britton (first two phases already complete, from Hefner WTP to Rockwell).

mkjeeves
02-16-2015, 11:26 AM
If it dates back that far it's part of a different plan. They rate hike-funding for capital improvements was just a few months ago. Several years to build 75% of a pipeline that long makes more sense.

mkjeeves
02-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Looks like the interconnection (and the second Atoka pipeline) I'm thinking about is supposed to start construction in 2017. The one they are almost complete on must something else started awhile ago.

The Water Utilities Trust on Tuesday agreed to a five-year, $1 billion plan that includes work on a second pipeline to ship drinking water from southeast Oklahoma, steps to integrate separate parts of the water distribution system, and improvements to enable reuse of water from Oklahoma City’s Deer Creek wastewater treatment plant.

<snip>

Expectations are for construction to begin in 2017 and be completed in 2021.

Interconnecting the two main sources of Oklahoma City’s water supply, from Lake Hefner in the west and Lake Stanley Draper in the east, was first proposed in a 1954 Water Supply Plan that formed the basis for construction of Draper reservoir and the original 100-mile pipeline from southeast Oklahoma.

Reuse figures into plan for Oklahoma City water | News OK (http://newsok.com/reuse-figures-into-plan-for-oklahoma-city-water/article/4984643)

The rate hike was passed in September I believe. This was before that hearing.

OKLAHOMA CITY – City officials introduced new water utility pay rates and a multiyear implementation Tuesday to help raise funds for a $700 million pipeline and other water infrastructure needs.

The rate changes, expected to be approved by the City Council next month and go into effect shortly thereafter, will affect all residential, business and wholesale consumers of Oklahoma City water, including several other municipalities in the metro area.

Read more: Rate increases in the pipeline: OKC Council considers tiered water billing system | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2014/08/12/rate-increases-in-the-pipeline-okc-council-considers-tiered-water-billing-system-general-news/#ixzz3Rw0SOFfr)

bradh
02-16-2015, 11:42 AM
If it dates back that far it's part of a different plan. They rate hike-funding for capital improvements was just a few months ago. Several years to build 75% of a pipeline that long makes more sense.

Yeah I guess I missed what you were asking in the first post. I see now, yes completing 75% of a 29 mile 48" pipeline in a few months is a pipe dream (no pun intended).

mkjeeves
02-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Either way, I'm glad there's a project near completion that might put some relief on the Hefner supply.

ChrisHayes
02-17-2015, 06:22 AM
I'd still like to see more reservoirs made. I know they've got locations for more reservoirs mapped out across the state. Getting the funding and getting started is the problem.

Stickman
02-17-2015, 08:45 AM
I'd still like to see more reservoirs made. I know they've got locations for more reservoirs mapped out across the state. Getting the funding and getting started is the problem.

How about making the ones we have larger, or better yet; dredge them? I know Overholser is probably at half capacity as when it was built due to silting.

Bellaboo
02-17-2015, 09:24 AM
How about making the ones we have larger, or better yet; dredge them? I know Overholser is probably at half capacity as when it was built due to silting.

They should be dredging Hefner now. I've always wondered why they haven't.

Inquiringmind
03-03-2015, 09:31 PM
They should be dredging Hefner now. I've always wondered why they haven't.

Dredging is not a viable option as the the silt contains pollutants that would negatively impact the water quality.