View Full Version : Family vacation ideas

Easy180
02-15-2015, 05:10 PM
After hitting beaches the past two summers we are looking to dial it down this year and hit a spot within a reasonable driving distance. Shooting for a 4 or 5 nighter with a 6 and 4 year old.

We are eyeballing San Antonio. Anyone taken young kids down there or have any suggestions?

okatty
02-15-2015, 05:12 PM
The JW Marriott Hill Country is awesome! Fantastic pool, lazy river, etc. Would be worth a look if you decide on SA.

MadMonk
02-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Sea World would be great with kids that age. Or maybe Schlitterbahn a little further north in New Braunfels. Also, if you are going in summer and need a break from the heat, touring the Natural Bridge caverns is cool (figuratively and literally), though with the younger kids, they may not be as interested. Mine were 10 and 8 when we went and they really didn't want to go, but enjoyed it once we were there.

Mel
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM
I hope you are driving. Road trips with kids that age are still fun. SAT is a good destination with plenty of activities for all ages. Once they become sullen teenagers the fun is over. Hope you have a blast.

Bellaboo
02-16-2015, 08:07 AM
When our kids were ages 7 to 13 (4 kids), we went to San Antonio for a soccer tournament, did Sea World and the Alamo, then headed on over for a couple of days to Corpus Christi. The beach at Aransas Pass was okay and there were dolphins swimming around the ferry boat. They also have the Texas State Aquarium there. We even took them on a harbor charter fishing boat. Our kids had a great time as did we.

turnpup
02-16-2015, 08:15 AM
I'll second what Mel said about driving. Some of my fondest childhood memories were our annual car vacations all across the U.S. It was so much fun! We'd have an eventual destination, but we'd stop at interesting places all along the way as we spotted them. Some of those little stops were about as much fun as the final destination.

The only bad part was that I had motion sickness, and we had one of those station wagons with the back seat facing backward. I still can't figure out why my parents put me in that seat. You'd think they'd have known better.

Zuplar
02-16-2015, 08:23 AM
If you want to keep it in the state you may check out Broken Bow.

Easy180
02-16-2015, 08:45 AM
The JW Marriott Hill Country is awesome! Fantastic pool, lazy river, etc. Would be worth a look if you decide on SA.

That resort looks fantastic. Now trying to break down my wife who said it would be cheaper going to the beach lol. I will keep reminding her of the spa there.

Urbanized
02-16-2015, 08:49 AM
I recommend this place: Rivers Edge Cottages : Oklahoma Luxury Cabin Rentals (http://riversedgecottages.com/)

Beautiful cabins with luxury finishes; comfy beds, fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, roomy showers, washer/dryer, stainless appliances, dishwasher, granite countertops, books, a bottomless bowl of Hershey's Miniatures, decks, rocking chairs, great views, charcoal grills, furnished bicycles, free access to canoes/kayaks on a beautiful scenic river.

Everything you might need (dish soap, laundry soap, cleaning products, charcoal lighter fluid, spices, condiments, coffee, even wasp/hornet spray) is already in your cabin, just as if you are visiting someone's home. You only need bring food/beverages and charcoal.

I stayed four days and never encountered another person. I once saw a pickup (though not the person driving) come by to retrieve trash that I had taken to the can at the end of the driveway, but never even laid eyes on other human beings except for a couple of times when sitting on the back deck, when I could see people several hundred yards away and a couple hundred feet below me kayaking/swimming on the river. The cabins are situated in such a way that you even have a hard time seeing other cabins through the woods.

Alas, no phone (even cell service is sketchy), no TV, no Internet. No texting, no e-mails, no calls to/from work, no Facebook updates, no Twitter, no Xbox.

Unfortunately, you and the kids will have to amuse yourselves by doing things like reading books, talking to each other, eating meals together, cooking out, riding bicycles, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, exploring, looking at the stars, and using your imaginations.

Jeepnokc
02-16-2015, 08:49 AM
We did SA for spring break a few years ago with three preteens or younger. I think we stayed at the jw marriott. It was near both six flags and seaworld. Did both parks and kids had great time. Was a little chilly for water rides/ pool in March but that could change each year

kelroy55
02-16-2015, 09:08 AM
This a fun place and not too far from Six Flags and another big water park.

Indoor Water Park | Waterparks in Texas | GreatWolf.com (http://www.greatwolf.com/grapevine/waterpark)

okatty
02-16-2015, 09:51 AM
That resort looks fantastic. Now trying to break down my wife who said it would be cheaper going to the beach lol. I will keep reminding her of the spa there.

You can spend a lot of time at the resort, around the pool, etc so the cost is relative. It's not cheap though..ha. You probably can't golf on family vacation but the 36 holes there are really awesome. We stayed at a couple of the other Hill Country resorts and this one was the best in my view.

We have never been to this place but have heard about it. Might be worth some research.

The Serengeti Resort (Bergheim, TX) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55479-d1367832-Reviews-The_Serengeti_Resort-Bergheim_Texas.html)

bradh
02-16-2015, 12:26 PM
What do you guys like to do? Do you have to have access to attractions, or are you more the relax and enjoy outdoors type? If the latter, I'd recommend Pagosa Springs, CO. A bit further drive (11 hours) but a great little town.

Mel
02-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Or if they like trains go to Durango, CO. The Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge is a nice train trip. Taking your kids from the flatlands to the mountain can be fun. Whole other world up there.

okatty
02-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Or if they like trains go to Durango, CO. The Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge is a nice train trip. Taking your kids from the flatlands to the mountain can be fun. Whole other world up there.

That is a great trip! Gorgeous, cool and fun! Get a little soot in your hair too!

Easy180
02-16-2015, 05:05 PM
What do you guys like to do? Do you have to have access to attractions, or are you more the relax and enjoy outdoors type? If the latter, I'd recommend Pagosa Springs, CO. A bit further drive (11 hours) but a great little town.

Have to admit we are true city folks so not real big on camping, hiking etc. I'm sure it is beautiful there but I can just picture my kids whining if we go off the grid lol. Appreciate the tip though!

kevinpate
02-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Rivers Edge, mentioned by Urbanized, is a decent way for citified folk to stretch themselves into a comfortable country based bit of relaxation.

PennyQuilts
02-16-2015, 08:36 PM
I fourth or fifth San Antonio - and San Marcus/New Braunsfels is on the way. Tons to do to keep the kids busy. On the other hand, a few day trips or overnight trips instate is also a way to get to know your state and build memories that might ground your kids near you and mama when it comes time for them to fly. A lot depends on the time of year you're going, too.

OKCisOK4me
02-16-2015, 08:43 PM
I was going to say Colorado Springs...entry to Garden of the Gods. Granted, I was probably 10 when I went there but it left an impression on me. I love Colorado. Even went to Durango on that trip and rode the train up to Silverton. I'd recommend the mountains any day for beauty over flat San Antoine!

Mel
02-16-2015, 11:23 PM
Both sides of the continental divide has lots to offer. You can find condos in the summer are fairly reasonable. Ski season not so cheap. Even in July it's still winter at the top of Pike's Peak. Take the cog train to the top, I glazed my brakes bad coming back down.

Zuplar
02-17-2015, 08:00 AM
I was going to say Colorado Springs...entry to Garden of the Gods. Granted, I was probably 10 when I went there but it left an impression on me. I love Colorado. Even went to Durango on that trip and rode the train up to Silverton. I'd recommend the mountains any day for beauty over flat San Antoine!

I agree. I've been to Colorado every year since I've graduated college from there. It seems like there is always something to do.

warreng88
02-17-2015, 08:14 AM

Agreed. Went with the wife in September and had a blast. You basically never have to leave the resort for anything. They have multiple restaurants and each one of them are great. The spa is fantastic. They have an adults only pool (if you are ok with the kids playing by themselves) and an 18 hole golf course. Of course, talk to Josh about other things to do in SA besides the JW Marriott. If that is too expensive, check out the Lakeway Resort southwest of Austin, but also close to San Antonio. Not as inclusive at the JW Marriott, but beautiful views and you are pretty close to The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, TX. You could stop at the outlet shops in San Marcos and maybe do a day trip to Schlitterbahn if the weather works in your favor.

Easy180
02-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Agreed. Went with the wife in September and had a blast. You basically never have to leave the resort for anything. They have multiple restaurants and each one of them are great. The spa is fantastic. They have an adults only pool (if you are ok with the kids playing by themselves) and an 18 hole golf course. Of course, talk to Josh about other things to do in SA besides the JW Marriott. If that is too expensive, check out the Lakeway Resort southwest of Austin, but also close to San Antonio. Not as inclusive at the JW Marriott, but beautiful views and you are pretty close to The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, TX. You could stop at the outlet shops in San Marcos and maybe do a day trip to Schlitterbahn if the weather works in your favor.

The JW in San Antonio is the clear leader since it seems we can stick to the resort aside from the day we hit Seaworld. Wifey learns of her raise tomorrow morning so if all goes well reservations go in this weekend lol.

zookeeper
02-17-2015, 05:51 PM
The JW in San Antonio is the clear leader since it seems we can stick to the resort aside from the day we hit Seaworld. Wifey learns of her raise tomorrow morning so if all goes well reservations go in this weekend lol.

Sounds like a GREAT trip! (Good luck to the other half on the raise. :))

PennyQuilts
02-17-2015, 08:58 PM
Good luck on the raise!

Good times...

Wishbone
02-18-2015, 06:42 AM
We went to San Antonio over Thanksgiving and Colorado over Chirstmas so I will chime in. SA was fun, we stayed at the Crockett hotel which is waking distance to the riverwalk. I recommend it. We did Sea World and Fiesta Texas. The Mexican market in SA was fun for the kids. The Alamo is free to walk through.

Colorado we did a horse drawn sleigh ride that was fun for the kids and the next day we did snow mobiling in Copper mountian. Im not a cold weather guy so I would go back to SA again.

Urbanized
02-18-2015, 07:14 AM
If visiting SA don't muss The Pearl. Also, there is a 100+ year old German bierhaus and biergarten in Southtown that is amazing...AND you can bring your kids! And finally, there's this (roughly 1000x more impressive in person):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OIWbVdtPQ

Easy180
02-18-2015, 06:07 PM
If visiting SA don't muss The Pearl. Also, there is a 100+ year old German bierhaus and biergarten in Southtown that is amazing...AND you can bring your kids! And finally, there's this (roughly 1000x more impressive in person):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OIWbVdtPQ

Appreciate the tips...Especially the German bierhaus...Huge fan of German beer

Easy180
02-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Just wanted to say thanks again for the feedback. We booked the JW Marriott and will be staying the first night in Grapevine to take the kiddos to the Rain Forest Cafe :cool:

okatty
02-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Just wanted to say thanks again for the feedback. We booked the JW Marriott and will be staying the first night in Grapevine to take the kiddos to the Rain Forest Cafe :cool:

Congrats - think you will have a great time at JWM!

Mel
02-22-2015, 10:09 AM

It's an interesting place to eat but don't expect to walk out without buying a few stuffed animal toys. They have a bunch of neat ones and my Grandkids all got something out of Grandpa.

Easy180
02-22-2015, 11:17 AM
It's an interesting place to eat but don't expect to walk out without buying a few stuffed animal toys. They have a bunch of neat ones and my Grandkids all got something out of Grandpa.

Reminds me of the damage my kids do to our bank account when we eat at Cracker Barrel lol

Easy180
06-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Just got back tonight and thankfully the Red River bridge was still open. Crazy going over it. We also dodged Tropical Storm Bill that stayed to the east of San Antonio.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the JW recommendation as it is our favorite family vacation to date. The hotel/resort looked amazing, service amazing, food excellent and the Corona Lights cold lol.

It is pricey but my kids LOVED all of the water features. 3 larger water slides, 2 small slides for my 4 yr old and a crazy long lazy river. TONS of loungers without all of the fun folks going down and reserving loungers at 8AM.

Just can't say enough nice things about this resort.

okatty
06-19-2015, 08:41 PM
It's very hard to beat! glad you enjoyed it!

We have friends driving to Galveston tomorrow to get on a cruise Sunday morning. They are hoping RR crossing stays open!

Easy180
06-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Should also mention driving thru Austin and Dallas traffic on the same day sucks lol

oklip955
06-19-2015, 09:45 PM
I know of a lady who takes her family to Wolf lodge, I think its in the Dallas area. Her and her husband have small children. I think the place is geared to small children. You might check that out. You could go to Ark and rent a cabin some place where you can swim and do some hiking, (walking with a kid stroller. Just an idea if you want to do a low key vacation.