View Full Version : What was your first car?

MadMonk
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Owned or just regularly driven. Just curious.

This it looks exactly like my first car (that I owned) except the wheels were black instead of body color. Its a '72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I consider selling that car one of the top-5 worst mistakes of my life. :/
http://www.furnari.net/carangos/imagens/timeline/72_oldsmobile_cutlass_supreme.jpg

The first vehicle I ever drove regularly was my dad's '75 F100 Ranger. I helped him take out the 360 and put in a 390 that my dad had hopped up a bit. Man, it was a screamer! It looked somewhat similar to this:
http://www.firsttraderegistry.com/forsale/trucks/cat162.jpg

He said it would be mine when I turned 16. Unfortunately, it was repo-ed 3 months before my birthday to the day. :(

mranderson
09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Mine was a green 1965 Chevrolet Impala four door. I had it three years and traded it on a Ford Pinto my dad talked me into (I hated that Pinto).

Karried
09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Ha,ha.. this will be a funny thread. My first car was a Ford Maverick! Oh my gosh...then a Ford Mustang ( which I didn't care for - a little 4 cylinder couldn't make it up a steep hill car).

Five years later, I bought my pride and joy - Brand new Bright Red Turbo 300ZX with T-tops and every bell and whistle. I was 21 and my payments were $320 - yikes! Can you imagine? I got my first and only speeding ticket for exceeding 120 mph - oops. I was trying to see how fast it would go on Highway 5 in CA. 21 year olds shouldn't have cars that go over 150 mph! I kept that for 8 years until baby came along - boo hoo, time to grow up - a family car and then *gasp*! a mini -van! Now it's a Suburban... I hate getting old.

mranderson
09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Ha,ha.. this will be a funny thread. My first car was a Ford Maverick! Oh my gosh...then a Ford Mustang ( which I didn't care for - a little 4 cylinder couldn't make it up a steep hill car).

Five years later, I bought my pride and joy - Brand new Bright Red Turbo 300ZX with T-tops and every bell and whistle. I was 21 and my payments were $320 - yikes! Can you imagine? I got my first and only speeding ticket for exceeding 120 mph - oops. I was trying to see how fast it would go on Highway 5 in CA. 21 year olds shouldn't have cars that go over 150 mph! I kept that for 8 years until baby came along - boo hoo, time to grow up - a family car and then *gasp*! a mini -van! Now it's a Suburban... I hate getting old.

Just think, Karrie. If the vehicles you own keep getting bigger, then maybe a Lincoln stretch Limo is in your future.

:LolLolLol

MadMonk
09-07-2005, 01:25 PM

LOL! My wife told me she almost got her sister's hand-me-down "puke-green" Pinto (her description :)), but couldn't get the hang of the stick-shift. Instead she ended up with a '76 Monte Carlo with bucket seats. :D

mranderson
09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
LOL! My wife told me she almost got her sister's hand-me-down "puke-green" Pinto (her description :)), but couldn't get the hang of the stick-shift. Instead she ended up with a '76 Monte Carlo with bucket seats. :D

That is funny. I traded the Pinto I hated for a 75 Monte Carlo. I said it would be the last Chevrolet I ever owned since they all had a lot of problems... I ate my words in April, 2002 and again last night.

Curt
09-07-2005, 02:49 PM
My first car was a 1969 Mustang fastback with a 351 windsor. Originally a California car it was solid but the interior was badly sun damaged, and body panels had been dented and filled and it needed a restoration. At the time I had no place to store the car or the money to do the work, so I sold it for $1,300.00. I later tracked the car down and saw it at a car show, the guy who bought it did a restoration and added some non factory paint work, actually to make it look like a Mach 1, and he sold it to the guy who had it at the car show for $13,000.00. My dumbass self should have kept that car.

MadMonk
09-07-2005, 02:59 PM
My brother in law purchased a '69 Mach-I from a guy in S. Carolina a couple of years ago for $6,000. It was held together with baling wire and other non-standard stuff, but the body was in halfway decent shape. I think he's regretted buying it because it has become a money pit and the car hasn't improved much since he bought it; looks the same, runs a little better but nowhere near perfect.

Curt
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
My brother in law purchased a '69 Mach-I from a guy in S. Carolina a couple of years ago for $6,000. It was held together with baling wire and other non-standard stuff, but the body was in halfway decent shape. I think he's regretted buying it because it has become a money pit and the car hasn't improved much since he bought it; looks the same, runs a little better but nowhere near perfect.
Not hard to believe. Unless you have time and money they are a money pit.
Right now I would like to have a '67 427 Corvette or a '66 427 Cobra.

Dungeon Master
09-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Mine was a 1973 hatch back Nova. 350 4 bolt main engine. Black with mag wheels. Jacked up in the rear with air shocks. An 8 track tape player playing Black Sabbath and Deep Purple (loudly).
I took the hatch off so I could cram people in the back during school events.
All this with long hair to my shoulders and a mustach and beard.
Gosh, those were the days.

In_Tulsa
09-07-2005, 03:48 PM
My first car was a 1992 Beretta that was one hot car boy I miss it. :( Good Times :love_bed: REAL GOOD TIMES

windowphobe
09-08-2005, 05:24 PM
I had a 1966 Chevy II in Nova trim (it would be a few years before they decided that all of them should be Novas), with the tough-as-nails 230 straight six and a marginal two-speed Powerglide, and the de rigueur AM radio. (I eventually mounted a cassette player on the tunnel, which looked ridiculous but worked fine.)

karlanee
09-08-2005, 07:05 PM
An orange VW Beetle.

sweetdaisy
09-08-2005, 07:51 PM
My bright yellow Geo Storm! I had lots of fun in that car.

Though my all-time favorite car was my Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Whoo-hoo! I'm glad I'm not having to fill up that gas tank anymore, but wheeee! It was a blast. :)

gbyte
09-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Well the one I learned to drive in was a manual 1970 Datsun pickup but primarily drove a '76 Nova Concourse Hatchback (a 1-2 yr model) http://www.novaresource.org/gallery4/76johns0.jpg (http://www.novaresource.org/gallery4/76johns1.jpg)

Was a pretty decent car overall (and no that picture is not mine but similar model)

Keith
09-09-2005, 05:12 AM
a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass.....bright green. I could find my car anywhere in a crowded parking lot.:LolLolLol

My second car was a 1976 Pontiac Sunbird....bright orange. I took the catalytic converter off and had glass packs installed. Talk about a loud car...plus, I could lay scratch in all 5 gears (5 speed)

pdjr
09-10-2005, 02:11 AM
89 Buick Regal. I regularly crammed four people in the front seat. It had an 8-track player. A few months after I bought it, mom and dad found some hidden 8-tracks in storage. Fun times. It was stolen. I wish it were still here sometimes.

MadMonk
09-10-2005, 07:28 AM
89 Buick Regal. I regularly crammed four people in the front seat. It had an 8-track player. A few months after I bought it, mom and dad found some hidden 8-tracks in storage. Fun times. It was stolen. I wish it were still here sometimes.
An '89 had an 8-track? Wow! I bet that thing was a collectors item by then. :p

kahloist
09-26-2005, 09:20 AM
I got a hand me down Jag from my mom, but she later took it away because it was too much car for me.

Faith
11-18-2005, 02:25 PM
My first car was a 94 Red Geo Prizm. I was 16 and responsible for the $183 dollar payments, insurance, and gas. It was only two years old when I got it and I was so excited. The first day I drove it to school a girl hit me in the school parking lot! She didn't have any insurance and neither did her parents.

Intrepid
11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
My first car was a white 1981 chevy camaro. It was one of those things where it drove great and checked out great during the initial inspection and test drive, then it went downhill after the purchase. We were constantly battling fuel filter problems, oil problems etc.

Plus the darn car had a difficult time make sharp left hand turns. I was constantly having to back up and re-position the car to make the actual lefthand turn. Needless to say, I avoided making lefthand turns when at all possible. :LolLolLol

I remember working downtown for a summertime job and parking in the Century Center parking garage, with its curved ramps. I had a very difficult time coming out of the lot due to the sharp left hand turns. It was very embarassing. :LolLolLol

Doug Loudenback
11-20-2005, 05:59 PM
1st car was a 1957 Chevy 2 door (unfortunately with the "post" between f/b windows, but with these colors (and this 2 door hard top was really the one to have!) ...

http://image42.webshots.com/43/6/23/65/318162365yIjhXB_ph.jpg

but, w/o being as spiffy, mine was more like this:

http://www.haroldsclassics.com/images/Img15.jpg

... as best I recall. It was a long time ago!

Zoedith
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
My first car was a '84 Buick skylark. It did not have a headliner, and every rider it ever had, had to etch their name in the padding, or what used to be the padding for the headliner.

After taking it for a roughride on some dirt roads, I cracked the oil pan. It eventually was sold, after I was putting at least a 3 liter coke bottle full of my dad's old gas in it at least once a week.