View Full Version : Question for Todd

downtownguy
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
You've established a wonderful site here. I'm curious if you're willing to share a bit about how and when you got it started, what inspired you, and surprised you most as the site began to pick up steam.
- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

Todd
09-09-2004, 09:17 PM
downtownguy,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Well there was not a whole lot of fanfare when it first went online in late April. I grew up in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Yukon</st1:place></st1:State> and have lived most of my adult life in <st1:place>North OKC</st1:place> or <st1:City><st1:place>Edmond</st1:place></st1:City>. I did a little research and found that OKC did not really have an outlet to express their feelings or share ideas. I did a few searches and settled on okctalk.com / oklahomacitytalk.com as the domain. I reviewed dozens of community forums across the <st1:country-region><st1:place>U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region> and tried to take what I thought were the best features and mold them into OKCTalk. <o:p></o:p>

My goal was to create a community where anyone regardless of their economic position, race, gender or education could have a forum to express themselves. Whether its moms swapping recipes, dads talking sports or heated political debates I think it’s important for our communities to connect. By helping individuals feel empowered and connected you naturally build a sense of ownership and pride within that community.<o:p></o:p>

I would like to think that as OKCTalk grows that people in positions that make decisions for our community will listen with an open mind and embrace the diverse ideas seen within these forums. I think there is a little bit for everyone on the forums. I don't believe in dictating the forum topics or censoring individual positions. It truly is the place where YOU set the agenda.<o:p></o:p>

The biggest surprise since OKCTalk has started is probably the outpouring of ideas and the positive posts regarding OKC in general. My fear was that this forum would attract a bunch of whiners that only wanted to bash OKC. In fact, just the opposite has occurred. We have a small but growing group of hard core OKCTalk users. These users alone are what have driven OKCTalk so far. I think OKCTalk has an exciting future ahead. I have several new things planned in the near future I believe will increase membership and diversify the community even more.

I appreciate everyone’s participation. YOU are what make OKC such a great place to live.

Take Care,<o:p></o:p>
Todd