View Full Version : REI

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pete
02-08-2015, 10:53 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=107-Trader-Joe-s-and-REI-coming-to-OKC

After much speculation, OKCTalk has learned that Trader Joe's has signed a letter of intent to lease the old Crescent Market space at Nichols Hills Plaza.

Also, we've learned Recreational Equipment Inc., commonly known as REI, will open a store in a new development to the immediate south.

Both properties are owned by Glimcher, a national retail developer which bought the properties outlined in red below from Chesapeake Energy in 2013. See our previous story on the company and what they've done in other markets here: Glimcher (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Glimcher).

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/glimcher020615.jpg

Since the acquisition, Glimcher has been filling up Classen Curve, signing leases with West Elm, Zoe's Kitchen, Kendra Scott and several others. The center is now very near full occupancy.

Although exact plans have yet to be revealed, the company is now turning it's sights to filling the largely vacant Nichols Hills Plaza South and developing several large empty lots. REI will likely be part of a much larger lifestyle center on the south side of NW 63rd and west of Western. We have learned Glimcher is in deep negotiations with several other new-to-market retailers.

REI is a privately held American retail corporation headquartered in the Seattle area selling outdoor recreation gear, sporting goods, and clothing via some 135 retail stores in 32 states, catalogs, and the Internet. The company opens four to six new stores each year.

Although the majority of what it sells is brand-name merchandise from other companies, REI designs and sells its own private-label products.

REI has built a very loyal customer base by providing free memberships for life and exemplary customer service. They also offer a variety of classes in most of their locations on everything from campfire cooking to bike repair.

REI's CEO, Jerry Stritzke, grew up in Oklahoma and graduated from Oklahoma State.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rei1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rei2.jpg

OKCisOK4me
02-08-2015, 11:37 AM
I am rather excited about this one! Nice to see something be built on the very spot I used to frequent--The Varsity! I'll feel at home!

Pete
02-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I mentioned elsewhere that a big part of the REI experience is their classes/workshops and the community they build among active, adventurous people.

Here is a sample of offerings at the stores nearest me; gives you an idea of what they are all about:

Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing Class
Introduction to GPS Navigation Class
REI Run Club Los Angeles
Wilderness Survival: 3-Season Skills
Kayak Palos Verdes with Heal the Bay
GoPro Video Editing Basics - with GoPro Studio
GPS Navigation Basics
Beyond Bike Maintenance Basics - Brakes & Drive Train
Exploring Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon
Preparing for Half Dome
Magic of India
Hands-On Bike Maintenance - Fix A Flat
Preparing for Grand Canyon
Winter Camping Basics
Snowshoeing Basics
Avalanche Awareness
Trail Running Basics
Exploring Europe by Rail

bchris02
02-08-2015, 11:58 AM
I mentioned elsewhere that a big part of the REI experience is their classes/workshops and the community they build among active, adventurous people.

Here is a sample of offerings at the stores nearest me; gives you an idea of what they are all about:

Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing Class
Introduction to GPS Navigation Class
REI Run Club Los Angeles
Wilderness Survival: 3-Season Skills
Kayak Palos Verdes with Heal the Bay
GoPro Video Editing Basics - with GoPro Studio
GPS Navigation Basics
Beyond Bike Maintenance Basics - Brakes & Drive Train
Exploring Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon
Preparing for Half Dome
Magic of India
Hands-On Bike Maintenance - Fix A Flat
Preparing for Grand Canyon
Winter Camping Basics
Snowshoeing Basics
Avalanche Awareness
Trail Running Basics
Exploring Europe by Rail

This sounds awesome. REI will be great for OKC in so many ways.

Pete
02-08-2015, 12:02 PM
The classes are very popular; many sell out within days.

hfry
02-08-2015, 12:06 PM
The classes sound amazing. I think it will also help raise some awareness for the types of outdoor recreation you can do in and around the city. From the new whitewater course to sailing at lake Hefner. I have far to many of friends who have move to Colorado for the outdoor experience which anyone can admit is amazing but we have the Arbuckles a little over a hour away, the Whicita mountains a little over two hours and some of my personal favorite for a weekend get away are the Ouachita.

Pete
02-08-2015, 12:11 PM
I imagine they will work closely with the OK River Sports people, with the kayaking and that sort of thing.

They also organize runs, hikes, climbs, bike rides, trips, etc.

REI was one of those places that I didn't get at first while many friends were complete fanatics. Then, it all clicked in and I'm now a pretty big fan. Beyond all this, they are almost crazy with their customer service.

As mentioned, they do a lot to engage people in the outdoor activities in their area.

hfry
02-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Pete, with REI do they generally just have one store in cities? I was surprised when Dick's opened how we got 4 stores throughout the city all at once and while I know that isn't happening here I'm curious if they will expand to an Edmond location or maybe Norman.

bchris02
02-08-2015, 12:19 PM
The classes sound amazing. I think it will also help raise some awareness for the types of outdoor recreation you can do in and around the city. From the new whitewater course to sailing at lake Hefner. I have far to many of friends who have move to Colorado for the outdoor experience which anyone can admit is amazing but we have the Arbuckles a little over a hour away, the Whicita mountains a little over two hours and some of my personal favorite for a weekend get away are the Ouachita.

I agree with this premise. People don't realize how much outdoor recreation is available in Oklahoma. Its just that most of it isn't in the metro. Hopefully REI and its classes will help create an overall more active culture here. The Ouachita mountains in SE Oklahoma are very close to the experience you get in the North Carolina mountains.

Pete
02-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Pete, with REI do they generally just have one store in cities? I was surprised when Dick's opened how we got 4 stores throughout the city all at once and while I know that isn't happening here I'm curious if they will expand to an Edmond location or maybe Norman.

I think they'll only have one store in both Tulsa and OKC for quite a while.

In OKC, I could see one in Norman before Edmond, but I doubt there are any current plans beyond the one.

bchris02
02-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Charlotte has only two locations and they have a metro of 2.4 million people, roughly double the size of OKC. For a long time they only had one. I think one will be good for OKC for the time being. Eventually I could see Norman being added.

no1cub17
02-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Milwaukee only has one REI, and that's a somewhat similar sized city. But what a get for OKC. I really really really hope REI and TJ's are actually coming. Those are two chains that really help our rep.

mikeareese
02-09-2015, 10:30 PM
This is perfect. I was planning to thru hike the AT in 2017. I will be able to update my equipment. No more online ordering from REI.

Zorba
02-10-2015, 08:20 PM
I am very excited about the classes and the local garage sales, it seems like I always miss the garage sales by one weekend. I am very excited.

I think they will also only directly compete with Backwoods and Edmond Summit. There is only limited cross over between REI and Sun and Ski and very little with Dicks and Bass Pro. I think Summit will be fine, but backwoods may have issues competing since they are not local, and everything they sell REI sells with better customer service.

Charlotte has only two locations and they have a metro of 2.4 million people, roughly double the size of OKC. For a long time they only had one. I think one will be good for OKC for the time being. Eventually I could see Norman being added.

The whole DFW area only has 2 REIs, Cincinnati and KC both only have 1, I seriously doubt OKC will get two. There are other major metros with none.

(Just looked it up, DFW just got its Third store a few months ago. Looks like they have added some new ones in existing markets recently)

metro
02-16-2015, 10:47 PM
I imagine they will work closely with the OK River Sports people, with the kayaking and that sort of thing.

They also organize runs, hikes, climbs, bike rides, trips, etc.

REI was one of those places that I didn't get at first while many friends were complete fanatics. Then, it all clicked in and I'm now a pretty big fan. Beyond all this, they are almost crazy with their customer service.

As mentioned, they do a lot to engage people in the outdoor activities in their area.

I agree with this premise. People don't realize how much outdoor recreation is available in Oklahoma. Its just that most of it isn't in the metro. Hopefully REI and its classes will help create an overall more active culture here. The Ouachita mountains in SE Oklahoma are very close to the experience you get in the North Carolina mountains.

I think they'll only have one store in both Tulsa and OKC for quite a while.

In OKC, I could see one in Norman before Edmond, but I doubt there are any current plans beyond the one.

I would hope they would be active with hikes/camping in the Wichita Mtns area near Lawton, just an hour or less south of metro. GREAT outdoor activities, I could even see Lawton supporting an REI easily with all the military in addition to all the camping/hiking/rappelling/mountain biking, etc that goes on in the Wichitas, not to mention Wichita Falls, TX not that far off and lots of bicycling/recreational activities there as well.

OKCisOK4me
06-15-2015, 01:06 PM
What's the latest on this, Pete? Is it more of a pipedream than a reality and if it's the latter, are we moving toward actual construction at some point?

I went to the REI store while in Bozeman, MT, and I wanted to buy the whole store. I only purchased an REI camping chair but I want so much more without having to drive to Dallas or Denver...

Pete
06-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Absolutely not a pipe dream.

Glimcher is still finalizing plans which includes a bunch of pre-leasing.

These things take time.

OKCisOK4me
06-15-2015, 03:31 PM
I know they take time. I'm just excited, lol.

Plutonic Panda
10-27-2015, 01:54 PM
REI Wants You To Skip Black Friday, 'Opt Outside' - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/30365162/rei-wants-you-to-skip-black-friday-opt-outside)

bchris02
10-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Good to see this. Hopefully this is a sign that there is starting to be a backlash against the "Black Thursday" hysteria over the past few years.

Zorba
10-27-2015, 10:00 PM
Good to see this. Hopefully this is a sign that there is starting to be a backlash against the "Black Thursday" hysteria over the past few years.

I am hoping the same thing.

Huge sells and selling poor quality made for Black Friday crap isn't really REI's thing, so although I am sure it is normally a huge day for them, I doubt it'll be a huge impact.

bchris02
10-28-2015, 10:05 AM
I am hoping the same thing.

Huge sells and selling poor quality made for Black Friday crap isn't really REI's thing, so although I am sure it is normally a huge day for them, I doubt it'll be a huge impact.

Yeah who cares if you sell a ton of crap that day if what you sell has very little profit margin or in some cases, loses money.

OKCisOK4me
10-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Well, the good news is... REI employees here in OKC will get Black Friday off for sure this year!

erasmusred
06-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Anyone have any educated guesses about whether the litigation killed this project, or if simply on hold pending a resolution?

Pete
06-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Anyone have any educated guesses about whether the litigation killed this project, or if simply on hold pending a resolution?

No way is this project dead.

Glimcher has a ton of money invested here and tenants lined up... I suspect the slowness is more due to their own timeframe than this silly lawsuit.

erasmusred
06-17-2016, 07:36 PM

Glimcher has a ton of money invested here and tenants lined up... I suspect the slowness is more due to their own timeframe than this silly lawsuit.

Pete I hope you're right, in a perfect world I would've picked REI to have opened in Chisholm Creek over Cabela's. I realize they are in two different developments but after Oklahoma City shelled out more incentives for Cabela's I expected more of a distinction between them and Bass Pro. Having been inside both I was really disappointed in how similar they are. REI on the other hand is a truly different experience and would have an experience truly new to this market in my opinion. Another interesting option would have been a potential site on or near the river. With the rapids open it seems like that would have been a good fit (as they offer classes in other cities that would have complemented the area).

mikeareese
01-17-2017, 10:46 PM
Any word on the development?

Pete
01-18-2017, 05:59 AM
Any word on the development?

It seems the new development is on hold while Washington Prime (formerly Glimcher) finish out Classen Curve and fill out Nichols Hills Plaza.

I still think it will happen, though.

warreng88
01-18-2017, 07:33 AM
It seems the new development is on hold while Washington Prime (formerly Glimcher) finish out Classen Curve and fill out Nichols Hills Plaza.

I still think it will happen, though.

How much do they have left to fill? It looks like the BD Homes space is about the only empty space in CC and the really empty spots around the TJ's area are starting to fill in.

OKCisOK4me
01-18-2017, 03:00 PM
I can't stand to wait another 2 years on top of the already 2 years we've been waiting for an official ground breaking announcement. Guess I'll keep using the app and FedEx (which sucks). It'd be nice if they used UPS so I could pick up my goods at a UPS store. For some reason, you have to be home to sign for FedEx packages from REI and they won't drop off at a FedEx store...smh.

Zorba
01-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Any word on the REI in Tulsa? I drove by the proposed site a few weeks ago and saw no signs anything was happening there (thankfully). I really thought REI should've gone in on the NE corner of that intersection where the Luby's was, but Planet Fitness moved in there. I am hoping the SW corner stays a Tulsa City park.

Swake
01-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Any word on the REI in Tulsa? I drove by the proposed site a few weeks ago and saw no signs anything was happening there (thankfully). I really thought REI should've gone in on the NE corner of that intersection where the Luby's was, but Planet Fitness moved in there. I am hoping the SW corner stays a Tulsa City park.

The land deal for the park is in mediation.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/sides-in-helmerich-park-dispute-going-to-mediation-this-week/article_c8028684-722d-5597-a652-37e06589aa94.html

Spartan
01-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Which is a real concern, unlike this absurd lawsuit.

whorton
04-16-2017, 03:16 AM
So here we are more than two years down the line, and still nada. I don't know Pete, but I am about ready to call this one busted. There is a facebook dedicated to the opening of an REI at:

https://www.facebook.com/OKCREI/

But no postings since October of last year.

This one is going south faster than the Executive order about immigration vetting. . .

Pete
04-16-2017, 04:47 AM
The development that this was apart of has been delayed by lawsuits.

As far as I know, REI is still in the works.

Cam
04-16-2017, 09:00 PM

I recently talked with a local architect and developer familar with the project and the developments happening in this area and he said the lawsuit is wrapping up and that everything was still moving forward.

Rover
04-18-2017, 07:19 AM
The lawsuit was stupid in the first place and was basically one person who is out of touch with reality and the desires of her neighbors and the neighborhood.

DKG
08-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Checked the status of this litigation on the OSCN. It looks like the district court entered a judgment on the MSJ in favor of the Defendant/Developer/OKC on 1/12/2017. The Plaintiff/Obstructionists filed an appeal shortly thereafter. The last entry made on OSCN for the appeal is dated 4/17/2017, assigning the case to the to the Court of Civil Appeals. No indications of anything happening since that time. The motions filed at the appeal level make for some interesting reading.

Was there a reason the developer didn't just acquiesce and file a new PUD that cures the alleged defects in the lawsuit? Concerns about it not being approved a second time around? It sounds like the main issues center around whether proper notice was given, including whether notice was properly given to the City of Nichols Hills (which subsequently passed a resolution waiving notice). Even if the developer ends up victorious in court, I have to wonder if re-filing would have been quicker and more cost effective than the litigation route.

BG918
08-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Interesting that REI's in both OKC and Tulsa are tied to lawsuits by angry neighbors. I agree the OKC deal is silly but the Tulsa one has merit and hopefully REI can build locations in both cities within the next year.

Teo9969
08-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Checked the status of this litigation on the OSCN. It looks like the district court entered a judgment on the MSJ in favor of the Defendant/Developer/OKC on 1/12/2017. The Plaintiff/Obstructionists filed an appeal shortly thereafter. The last entry made on OSCN for the appeal is dated 4/17/2017, assigning the case to the to the Court of Civil Appeals. No indications of anything happening since that time. The motions filed at the appeal level make for some interesting reading.

Was there a reason the developer didn't just acquiesce and file a new PUD that cures the alleged defects in the lawsuit? Concerns about it not being approved a second time around? It sounds like the main issues center around whether proper notice was given, including whether notice was properly given to the City of Nichols Hills (which subsequently passed a resolution waiving notice). Even if the developer ends up victorious in court, I have to wonder if re-filing would have been quicker and more cost effective than the litigation route.

My bet is that they're not in a hurry to get moving, so this is the "easier" route.

Zorba
11-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Interesting that REI's in both OKC and Tulsa are tied to lawsuits by angry neighbors. I agree the OKC deal is silly but the Tulsa one has merit and hopefully REI can build locations in both cities within the next year.

Looks like the Tulsa lawsuit has made it through a bunch of hurdles and the city's main claim that the park isn't a park isn't flying. I really hope the sell gets shot down. There are so many other places REI could build, no need to put it on a city park. I e-mailed REI about it about a year and half ago and they gave me some nice PR about how it was going to be developed either way, so wouldn't I rather it be REI? Since then my spending with REI has dropped from ~1K+ a year to basically nothing, maybe $40 since then. I'd rather buy from people who aren't actively trying to destroy park land, especially when they claim to be pro-environment and pro-outdoors.

Beyond the fact that it is a park, it was also gifted to the city for the specific purpose of being a park. If you start turning around and selling gifted land, it won't take long before people stop gifting you assets.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/state-supreme-court-sends-lawsuit-over-helmerich-park-development-back/article_3f298319-730f-5398-93eb-c66de56247b4.html

That being said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the OKC deal and I hope REI goes to Tulsa, just not in a city park.

DKG
04-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Looks like the Court of Civil Appeals affirmed the trial court's holding in favor of the Developer. The opinion was issued on 10/31/2017, and I don't see any evidence of the Plaintiff appealing the appeals court order. Aside from this litigation, anyone aware of other reasons this development hasn't moved forward the last 5 months? I love REI, and not having one here is one of the few things I miss about living in Houston.

Urbanized
04-10-2018, 08:59 AM
I know nothing about it other than what I can observe and infer, but it seems the developer has taken this delay as an opportunity to solidify the existing contiguous properties with upscale national credit tenants, and also to expand Classen Curve. Could be that their strategy now is to get those properties to the point where the Triangle is the only real option for new tenants wanting to land in a proven retail environment.

Also possible that the success they’ve had in refocusing the other properties has caused them to tweak the design approach and building mix they were applying to the Triangle, which would take some time to re-work.

DKG
04-10-2018, 09:07 AM
I know nothing about it other than what I can observe and infer, but it seems the developer has taken this delay as an opportunity to solidify the existing contiguous properties with upscale national credit tenants, and also to expand Classen Curve. Could be that their strategy now is to get those properties to the point where the Triangle is the only real option for new tenants wanting to land in a proven retail environment.

Also possible that the success they’ve had in refocusing the other properties has caused them to tweak the design approach and building mix they were applying to the Triangle, which would take some time to re-work.

Thanks for the insight Urbanized. I follow the board quite a bit, but don't really understand how these developers operate.

Urbanized
04-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Those are only guesses on my part, but I’d think that they still intend to go forward with the Triangle as they’ve had success with the others and the Triangle property is even more desirable from a location/configuration/access/visibility standpoint. Hopefully REI is still committed also.

OKCisOK4me
04-11-2018, 07:08 PM
I surely hope REI is still committed. My membership dividend would be much more of a reward if they had a brick&mortar store here.

erasmusred
08-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Anyone have any indication that this is moving forward or dead? In terms of retail, the only places I still have to go to Dallas/Frisco for are IKEA and REI. I was really hoping that I could cross one off this list. I'd give both Bass Pro and Cabela's up if we could get an REI here. I realize it's unlikely, but I also think it would be awesome if they were to build near the Riversport area and you'd have the potential for some of their classes to be brought here as well.

thunderbird
08-24-2018, 03:46 PM
From what I understand it’s still coming, just not in a spot I think anyone would agree is good.

jonny d
08-24-2018, 04:29 PM
From what I understand it’s still coming, just not in a spot I think anyone would agree is good.

Which is?

thunderbird
08-24-2018, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=jonny d;1046060]Which is?[/QUOTE

You’ll be disappointed soon enough. Close to Classen curve tho. Like half a mile.

David
08-25-2018, 06:58 AM
Replacement for the closed Babies'R'Us in Belle Isle?

shawnw
08-25-2018, 10:01 AM
I mean, that wouldn't be the most terrible thing

thunderbird
08-25-2018, 12:13 PM
I mean, that wouldn't be the most terrible thing

True, I guess I just expected too much. In my mind I hoped for an early 2000’s era store. I know they’re essentially webstore showrooms now. It’ll still be great to have it so close to the house and I’m sure it will do well, just never thought I’d see such a highly anticipated store next to a scary Walmart. That space has been up for a while; we didn’t see lulu or TJ’s go in there.

jonny d
08-25-2018, 12:28 PM
True, I guess I just expected too much. In my mind I hoped for an early 2000’s era store. I know they’re essentially webstore showrooms now. It’ll still be great to have it so close to the house and I’m sure it will do well, just never thought I’d see such a highly anticipated store next to a scary Walmart. That space has been up for a while; we didn’t see lulu or TJ’s go in there.

Scary Walmart?

PaddyShack
08-27-2018, 09:30 AM

Which space has been up for a while? Babies R Us just went out a couple months ago there.

bchris02
08-27-2018, 10:44 AM
It's unfortunate that NIMBYs have managed to hold up the Classen Curve expansion the way they have. REI would have been a perfect anchor for the lifestyle portion that was planned.

Pete
08-27-2018, 10:50 AM
It's unfortunate that NIMBYs have managed to hold up the Classen Curve expansion the way they have. REI would have been a perfect anchor for the lifestyle portion that was planned.

The legal issues have long been resolved.

That project is still going forward they are just busy trying to fill out and fill up both Classen Curve and NH Plaza. Still some vacancy in each even though they have brought in a ton of tenants.

Will be building more lease space on the Mamasita's site similar to the building that contains Hopdoddy.

Johnb911
08-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Will be building more lease space on the Mamasita's site similar to the building that contains Hopdoddy.

I have heard this will be a minute clinic. I take that information with a giant grain of salt, since there aren't even any building plans out, not to mention this doesn't seem like a business that fits with the Nichols Hills Plaza aesthetic, but wanted to see if that was something you had heard Pete.

Pete
08-27-2018, 12:55 PM
I have heard this will be a minute clinic. I take that information with a giant grain of salt, since there aren't even any building plans out, not to mention this doesn't seem like a business that fits with the Nichols Hills Plaza aesthetic, but wanted to see if that was something you had heard Pete.

I've seen plans that show different tenants. I believe a restaurant is planned for the east end of the building that would replace Mamasita's and the other building to the east.

TheSteveHunt
08-27-2018, 01:54 PM
REI seems like a company DEEPLY entrenched in the faux survey result world of corporatist neo-liberal clown city planners.... "..studys show people really want a REI in the town they are going to relocate to!!" I've heard many times...not to say it's a bad store or anything, just noting I have heard this from several fancy guys, so adjust your portfolio accordingly.