View Full Version : Scam or Legit threat?

pure
02-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Not sure if this belongs here, but here goes...

I get a call on my cell phone from an unknown/blocked number. I did not answer but they left a voicemail saying that I need to call them within 24 hours or I would be served legal papers from the clerks office. They left a phone number and reference number for me to call back with. Before calling, I look the number up online and found handful of people getting the same message. One guy on there stated that they asked for his SSN. I then call back to see what's going on and it rings 5-6 times and then I get the message, "Google Voice Number cannot be reached", or something like that.

This worries me because they also called my work with the same message yesterday and my manager told me about it. I check OSCN.net and there is nothing new under my name on there. I had bad credit and was ignorant with credit cards 7-10 years ago but I have been rebuilding for the past couple years and have really good cards with average credit now and have been making all my payments on time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chadanth
02-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Not sure if this belongs here, but here goes...

I get a call on my cell phone from an unknown/blocked number. I did not answer but they left a voicemail saying that I need to call them within 24 hours or I would be served legal papers from the clerks office. They left a phone number and reference number for me to call back with. Before calling, I look the number up online and found handful of people getting the same message. One guy on there stated that they asked for his SSN. I then call back to see what's going on and it rings 5-6 times and then I get the message, "Google Voice Number cannot be reached", or something like that.

This worries me because they also called my work with the same message yesterday and my manager told me about it. I check OSCN.net and there is nothing new under my name on there. I had bad credit and was ignorant with credit cards 7-10 years ago but I have been rebuilding for the past couple years and have really good cards with average credit now and have been making all my payments on time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Either a zombie collection or a scam. Either way, I wouldn't respond. Definitely don't provide any information, and don't confirm anything they ask.

pure
02-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks, That's what I'm thinking, I just never had a bill collector or whatever call my place of employment before.

OKCisOK4me
02-06-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't answer the unknown calls and they never leave voice mails so it's a win win...

kevinpate
02-06-2015, 03:39 PM
A collector can call you at work until notified you can not take personal calls there.

A bottom feeding scum suck vulture canoodling squirrel skull licking gnat nose fornicator trying to harass someone into paying on otherwise uncollectable debt will say anything to trick someone into paying.

Tritone
02-06-2015, 05:24 PM
You forgot "spotty-lipped." Maybe I'm a bit over the top but I will not give up much information when someone calls me. if I initiate the call I know whom I'm talking to. They call me, I just can't be sure. Always think OPSEC.

ctchandler
02-06-2015, 06:02 PM
A collector can call you at work until notified you can not take personal calls there.

A bottom feeding scum suck vulture canoodling squirrel skull licking gnat nose fornicator trying to harass someone into paying on otherwise uncollectable debt will say anything to trick someone into paying.

Kevin,
Tell us how you really feel about this.
C. T.

kevinpate
02-06-2015, 07:42 PM
About as close as I could get without getting auto-censored. :)

Some of the tactics the bottom feeders use are just so disgraceful. It's one thing to attempt to collect a debt. It's a nutter matter to harass and still another to start putting people in fear for their very safety.

BBatesokc
02-06-2015, 08:03 PM
There are two agencies out there that use this exact scam and both mostly deal with mass quantities of old credit card debt. And by old I mean too much time has passed for the original debt holder to sue. They buy the debt for pennies on the dollar knowing they will get 10-25% to pay out of fear or ignorance. I worked one of these cases recently and the collector became very aggressive until I had a media friend call them for comment.