View Full Version : Doomsday Prepping

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2015, 09:07 PM
All of us want to see our city become a world class city but I have to wonder.... if the poop hits the fan, how prepared are you to survive the chaos if the situation were to arrise.

I, by no means, am prepared but I believe that my upbringing would do me some good. I've been watching some of those shows and I have a backpack--which would be referred to as a Bug Out Bag (a means to survive for up to 72 hours) by the prepping community--that I could load with survival gear...not all of which I have accumulated...for that type of scenario.

What I think of most, with regard to OKC or any city of decent size for that matter, is an escape route. If, for example, there was a major earthquake here--powerful enough to knock down bridges and overpasses, with the cable barrier systems that were created to keep us safe, they could in effect hinder us from driving up and over the highways to seek an alternate route. No matter where you live, there are crappy bridges all over Oklahoma.

So, what level do you consider yourself? Would you bug in (fortify your position) or bug out (get the heck out of dodge)? How far do you think you could make it? Our city is quite large. If your plans were to make it to your loved ones do you think you could get there beyond a total failure of the grid?

Remember, this can be totally hypothetical or it can absolutely happen. Always good to be prepared. I'm a beginner and I would like to get to a novice level and if you're an expert, you may not want to contribute to this discussion.

Proceed...

ljbab728
02-04-2015, 09:23 PM
As far as a possible strong earthquake is concerned I just don't see that as a reason to have an escape route preplanned. Even when there have been major earthquakes in the LA and San Francisco areas, while some bridges and freeways were affected, it hasn't caused any reason to think you couldn't leave the city if you wanted to. We are less restricted in ways to exit the city than they are. I'm much more concerned about preplanning for what to do in case of a tornado and I have basic plans in place.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Granted, a tornado is not a wide spread precaution like an earthquake would be but still....if there were some other kind of catastrophic event, how prepared are you?

ljbab728
02-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Granted, a tornado is not a wide spread precaution like an earthquake would be but still....if there were some other kind of catastrophic event, how prepared are you?

That depends on how you define a catastrophic event. And actually even a major earthquake isn't as extensive as you might think. As I mentioned, major earthquakes in LA and San Francisco have actually only had significant affects on relatively small areas.

kelroy55
02-05-2015, 11:23 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROfIZgiMvJkhpt8-tlHR5LknSnyUnMnUwdfl7lNetavLXCHYRffQ

Teo9969
02-05-2015, 11:35 AM
When you say poop hits the fan, what exactly do you mean?

A natural disaster is not likely to ever put our entire city at need the way Katrina did to New Orleans. I mean…there's just not much of a chance of something so catastrophic happening, short of a tornado bout unlike the world has ever seen. And indeed the same thing that so many here complain about (Sprawl) would be advantageous in a natural disaster event.

Now if you're talking about an economic collapse and how that would affect us, well that's another animal entirely, and one I don't think we could possibly understand well enough to forecast.

OKCisOK4me
02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
That depends on how you define a catastrophic event. And actually even a major earthquake isn't as extensive as you might think. As I mentioned, major earthquakes in LA and San Francisco have actually only had significant affects on relatively small areas.

Ok, let's get away from your required parameters of a "cataclysmic" event (whatever it may be) and focus on your preparedness plan.

OKCisOK4me
02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
When you say poop hits the fan, what exactly do you mean?

A natural disaster is not likely to ever put our entire city at need the way Katrina did to New Orleans. I mean…there's just not much of a chance of something so catastrophic happening, short of a tornado bout unlike the world has ever seen. And indeed the same thing that so many here complain about (Sprawl) would be advantageous in a natural disaster event.

Now if you're talking about an economic collapse and how that would affect us, well that's another animal entirely, and one I don't think we could possibly understand well enough to forecast.

Well, I can't say **** on here because it will be astrixed out like Wa****a County...

It could be a number of any events. Point being, you gonna survive (meaning there's that chance you'd have to take another life to defend yourself) or are you gonna stick a gun to your head and put a bullet in it cause you can't live without your iPod and cable because the national electrical grid was taken out with a nuclear bomb that was detonated a half mile above the surface, taking everything out with an EMP.

CuatrodeMayo
02-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Are we talking a natural disaster, nuclear war, or the complete breakdown of society, ala Walking Dead?

ylouder
02-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Prepping is so 3 years ago.

OKCisOK4me
02-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Are we talking a natural disaster, nuclear war, or the complete breakdown of society, ala Walking Dead?

Doesn't matter, it could be any of those scenarios. From the looks and sounds of it, preppers practice day in day out for any type of scenario that is going to put them on the defensive. Don't get me wrong, some of these peeps on these shows are funny cause they actually believe in an impending zombie attack and prep for their survival based on that.

My prepping for anything would most likely be due to economical collapse or a cyber attack on the power companies. Remember when the Northeast was left in the dark, for what, like five days? Man, the way I live I woulda been SOL. Not being able to access an ATM and I don't carry cash. Things like that can be averted with better planning.

OKCisOK4me
02-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Prepping is so 3 years ago.

https://www.google.com/#q=prepping+community

Video at the end of that page is from last week. Still active.

Roger S
02-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Guess it depends on where I am when the poop goes down..... If I'm here in OKC I have to be just prepared enough to make the hike to our cabin near the Arbuckles..... If I'm already at our cabin near the Arbuckles.... Well I'll outlast most of you that were stuck here.

hoya
02-05-2015, 12:19 PM
There's an old lady who lives next door to me, so no matter what happens, you know, I've got something to eat.

White Peacock
02-05-2015, 12:34 PM
When you have a Jeep, you don't need roads. I suppose my only means of survival if the SHTF is a Jeep and a gun. I don't have a water backup source, but there's plenty of dogs in my neighborhood I can run over with my Jeep and eat, and subsequently shoot their owners when they come looking, then I could take their rations. And being not wasteful, I'd also eat them and absorb their powers.

That's only if we're in total apocalypse, of course. Like, post-rapture or zombie apocalypse.

TU 'cane
02-05-2015, 01:41 PM
I like how some of the comments on here seem as if they just came on to argue the parameters and semantics of your overall general theory and discussion point.

To be quite frank, this is something that far too many people cast aside as crazy, or take no precaution whatsoever because they've become so engrained with our supermarket lifestyle. Supermarkets are the first thing to be rampaged by people, emergency or not, and the shelves are bare within 24-72 hours. For example, when our weathermen forecast a blizzard-like conditions (rare), every Wal-Mart and Reasor's is packed and people are greedily running around like idiots. It's human nature, I guess.

Any way, a tornado outbreak or earthquake (some may argue wildfires even) would really be the only things that could affect our state. A Hurricane and flooding are probably 99.8% out of the question (yes, the percentage is made up).
On the not so pretty side that everyone wants to cast aside immediately is an act of mass terror or martial law (yes, martial law is possible. It was practiced in Boston after the Marathon events).

To answer your original question, I'm not prepared. I could be, but I'm not. And what I mean by I could be is that the standard bug-out bag is usually a medium-large backpack that you can quickly fill with survival items such as weapons, food, water, rope, etc. I think everyone should have those things readily available as you never know when you *MIGHT* need them. It's just something that I think people take for granted too often. Think of it as a quick camping set. Anything that you can pack in a bag that you'd take camping. Should be easily doable for most.

turnpup
02-05-2015, 02:20 PM
When you have a Jeep, you don't need roads. I suppose my only means of survival if the SHTF is a Jeep and a gun. I don't have a water backup source, but there's plenty of dogs in my neighborhood I can run over with my Jeep and eat, and subsequently shoot their owners when they come looking, then I could take their rations. And being not wasteful, I'd also eat them and absorb their powers.

That's only if we're in total apocalypse, of course. Like, post-rapture or zombie apocalypse.

Note to self: If the SHTF, stay away from someone in a Jeep looking a little too closely at neighborhood dogs. :)

We have guns and a bit of ammo, but that's about it. However, I do know a few prepper-types who would probably be kind enough to take us in.

Stew
02-05-2015, 02:32 PM
I have no desire to last too long past doomsday since I'm fairly spoiled to modern life. I figure all the prepping I require is a gun and a bullet. Now my brother on the other hand is a true life prepper complete with all the cool prepper accoutrements. I guess everybody needs a hobby.

AP
02-05-2015, 02:49 PM
I didn't know normal people actually prepared for this stuff...

Zuplar
02-05-2015, 02:54 PM
You know what a real prepper wouldn't do, come on a local forum talking about all the preps he has done. So that's all I have to say about that.

turnpup
02-05-2015, 02:55 PM
I have no desire to last too long past doomsday since I'm fairly spoiled to modern life. I figure all the prepping I require is a gun and a bullet.

We've talked about that, too. I mean, if things are going to get THAT bad (like having to live in an underground bunker the rest of your life), would a person really want to live? I guess the only way to find out is to experience it. And I'll pass, thanks.

Just the facts
02-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Staying right where I am. I can last 45 days for food, 20 years for power, and water indefinitely so long as it rains once every few weeks.

catch22
02-05-2015, 03:29 PM
I think being prepared is important -- but doing the doomsday prepping is a little too much.

As long as you have a few days of food and water in the house, enough batteries to operate flashlights. Should be okay. If society collapses, I don't think it would collapse for weeks and months.

White Peacock
02-05-2015, 03:44 PM
You know what a real prepper wouldn't do, come on a local forum talking about all the preps he has done. So that's all I have to say about that.

That's what gets me about these prepper reality shows. Sure, it's a big country, so even with your face and first name plastered all over the TV most people wouldn't know how to find you...except for the ones you'd really have to worry about, which are your neighbors that see your face every day and recognize your house. If the SHTF for real, these people have basically just advertised to the world that they're a supply closet, and all you have to do is kill them to get to months worth of food, water, and ammo.

PennyQuilts
02-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Interesting subject and it looks like some have thought of what they'd do, others never gave it a second thought. Most people seem to know someone who is taking some kinds of steps to prepare. Some seem to be confused by the whole notion.

I don't think short term natural disasters are a huge concern. They tend to be local and beyond being able to keep afloat for 3-4 days without a run to the grocery store, it is as much a question of short term comfort and security as anything else if you start out in good health. That's the kind of problem where people hunker down and even if public services are interrupted, neighbors and family tend to take care of Grandma, even if it isn't their grandma.

The real problem comes about when, for whatever reason, the food stops being trucked in and the water stops flowing. Most grocery stores only hold three days of groceries needed to support their clientele. And people hoard so it will be gone by the time you get to the store if you aren't near the front of the line. That can happen with an EMP, an economic collapse, cyber warfare, widespread grid failure (perhaps due to a catastrophic electromagnetic storm), a pandemic of unbelievable proportions, or an army of zombies blocking the roads and eating the brains of the water treatment folk.

Regional disasters can have similar impacts in a more localized area - for example a large city no longer able to make the payroll for police, fire, hospitals, etc. Crime and civil unrest would be something to be concerned about while things got sorted out. Terrorist attacks using biological agents, dirty bombs, chemical weapons in the water supply or via gas attacks would likely be local but hell on earth for those impacted.

From what I've read, the government has expressed a great deal of concern about the "probability" of an EMP and the increasing likelihood of cyber warfare taking down the grid. A cyber attack that severely disrupted the ability to use online banking, ordering, food distribution, water treatment, oil transport and delivery, etc. is certainly possible. It might not be completely successful but does anyone really think our commercial enterprises will be able to stay ahead, indefinitely, of a state actor bound and determined to launch sustained cyber warfare? I personally am concerned about our economic system and the strength of the dollar backed by nothing but air and IOU's. If the bloated stock market tanks, it is going to take a lot of retirement and pension accounts with it. We are in a lot worse shape, today, than we were in 2007/2008 with far fewer tools to claw our way out of an economic meltdown.

I personally think if you live in a big urban area and the SHTF, a bug out bag should be aimed at just getting you to someplace safe. That means you get the hell out of Dodge because you can't stay there and survive. if I lived in a big urban area, I'd get a stout, non flashy bike and repair kit, several lighters, decent backpack, 150 - 200 dollars in cash, lighters, extra socks, , prescription meds, firearm and ammo, jerky and some portable food, water bottle in a heavy plastic container and a water filter - a lifestraw is very cheap, portable and works well. Keep your car's gas tank filled. Obviously you couldn't rebuild a life with that and it's scanty but it is a list anyone can put together so there is no reason not to. Then, if your car works, you can drive to your mom's. If not, you take the bike.

IMO, the best way to prep is to stay in shape and learn at least 2-3 useful skills that you could use if the SHTF (**** hits the fan). Hunting, doctoring, reloading ammunition, sewing, gardening, soap making, metal working, farming, mechanic, canning, etc. If you live away from town, have a garden and use heirloom seeds. If you don't have a well, get one. Keep a supply of maintenance prescription medication (and be sure to rotate). Goes without saying to store some food. Just rotate it so it doesn't go to waste.

As for me, I'm no prepper along the lines of someone who plans to live off the grid with solar panels, etc. although if I lived in a super rural place, I might lean in that direction. I DO think it is likely that I will be around when the SHTF and what I do to prepare is to think in terms of how I would survive in a different economy. If my money is no good, I want my fences repaired, now. I want to lay in a garden. I want to educate myself on keeping chickens, bees and lifestock. I make a practice of collecting resource books (not ebooks) on useful skills such as gardening, butchering, hunting, animal husbandry, bee keeping, etc. I have a treadle sewing machine (doesn't use electricity). I've made connections - now - with people who have useful skills and the issue of prepping is never brought up - it is just smart living to surround yourself with competent people and let them know you are trustworthy, hardworking, competent and reliable. Civilization is about giving people a good reason to want to associate with you. If you have to barter you need something to barter with so I think about such things when it comes to spending money or acquiring goods. I think learning useful skills is fun so it is more a hobby than a strategy. Still, I think everyone should do it, even if they think life will continue to be easy. It is just a good practice and something to teach to your kids/grandkids.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the SHTF, people would just go nuts. Someone who is starving or whose child is starving is going to be desperate. People who have NO useful skills, nothing to trade, no food, no water, etc. will become Darwin's poster child and it is just a question of how many they take down with them. I am not sure anyone would be able to rebuild close to a large city because the population density is beyond the capacity of the infrastructure to support absent a well functioning distribution system.

Mel
02-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Important to have more than firearms. Bows and blades do not run out of ammo. Works on zombies and sheeple. :Smiley122

PennyQuilts
02-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Important to have more than firearms. Bows and blades do not run out of ammo. Works on zombies and sheeple. :Smiley122

I would love to have a crossbow or one of those bows that have the thingamajig to make them easier to pull back. I think they'd be fun to practice with and wouldn't freak out my dogs or make me have to leave the house to go somewhere to practice. They just make sense.

OKCisOK4me
02-06-2015, 01:05 AM
Pennyquilts, you rock. Your entry subsided all the satirical comments. You do have a plan from what I can see. Again, my practice is nil, but psychologically, it's nice to see that someone out there keeps it in the back of their mind. I've been watching the Doomsday Preppers show on Netflix and while it may be THREE YEARS OLD the preppers give great insight and ideas for how you can save your own ass whether these incidents happen or not.

My favorite part of the episodes are where they rate the preppers preparations by doing their expert assessment and then follow by saying that "this scenario taking place in the US is most likely not to happen". Regardless, it helps to have the knowledge and expertise to fall back on if something like it WERE to happen.

Post edit... on a geological time scale...it's probably not going to happen in our minUte lifetime...but if the culdera at Yellowstone erupted, it would totally effect Oklahoma with ash. That for me is an issue cause it would put everyone here in a panic.

Plutonic Panda
02-06-2015, 01:51 AM
So are we talking tornado's? Hurricanes?..... lol I'm just kidding.

I do keep non-perishable foods close by and I've been studying Kendo and the art of knife throwing. I plan to buy a bow and start practicing Archery as well. That coupled with Krav Maga, should help a little bit if I run out of ammo. The next best thing I will need is a really fast car.

I also want to practice cultivating more.

Just the facts
02-06-2015, 09:47 AM
If history is any indication for wide spread societal collapse you only need to survive the first 30 days. After that 90% of the people will be dead. Alas, we will come up with a much better system of local government before that happens. This is on my reading list: Sovereign City: The City-State Ancient and Modern (Reaktion Books - Globalities): Geoffrey Parker: 9781861892195: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Sovereign-City-City-State-Reaktion-Globalities/dp/1861892195)

PennyQuilts
02-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I'd say with our current use of prescription meds, there is a good portion of the population for whom you'd need to bump out the chance of surviving if you last the first thirty days to closer to 90. A lot of people are functioning pretty well with the help of medication and most have at least enough on hand to last a week or three depending on when their prescription was last filled. If you can't get those meds, people with heart conditions, diabetics and the like are more likely to start getting sick a few days or weeks after the meds run out and aren't being replaced. I've been on thyroid meds for thirty five years and have probably managed to shut down my thyroid - I'd be in a world of hurt before too long. Likewise, back in the days before good psychotropic medications were available, seriously mentally ill people lived their whole lives in asylums. Take away their meds and you have some seriously mentally ill people wandering around, poor souls. And what to do with them?

Mel
02-06-2015, 05:54 PM
" Take away their meds and you have some seriously mentally ill people wandering around, poor souls. And what to do with them? " Hollywood. Penny, bows are fun to shoot and help teach you focus and breath control. Three bails of stray and you have a target. No noise to disturb furrbuddies or neighbors. I think, but I might be wrong, you have to have a license for a crossbow.

PennyQuilts
02-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Mel, I represented the state's public mental health hospitals for a number of years so the miracle that is modern day medication for serious mental health conditions is front row center in my psyche. I heard so many sad, sad stories from the old timers and professionals who were well acquainted with the days before modern day psychotropic medication. Drugs allow the patients to actually leave the hospital instead of just living there for their entire lives. IMO, those meds are right up there with the polio vaccine in terms of life changing.

Wambo36
02-06-2015, 07:39 PM
I don't know of any license requirements for crossbows. They are even legal to hunt with in place of a compound bow.

Mel
02-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Mel, I represented the state's public mental health hospitals for a number of years so the miracle that is modern day medication for serious mental health conditions is front row center in my psyche. I heard so many sad, sad stories from the old timers and professionals who were well acquainted with the days before modern day psychotropic medication. Drugs allow the patients to actually leave the hospital instead of just living there for their entire lives. IMO, those meds are right up there with the polio vaccine in terms of life changing.

I didn't mean to offend your work or the meds. I am on quite a few maintenance meds and probably wouldn't last long without them. I was dissing hollweird.

I wasn't sure about crossbow laws. Never owned one.

PennyQuilts
02-06-2015, 09:30 PM
I don't know of any license requirements for crossbows. They are even legal to hunt with in place of a compound bow.

COMPOUND BOW. That's what I was trying to remember. I'm clearly a novice. But it seems like such a useful weapon.

PennyQuilts
02-06-2015, 09:34 PM
I didn't mean to offend your work or the meds. I am on quite a few maintenance meds and probably wouldn't last long without them. I was dissing hollweird.

I wasn't sure about crossbow laws. Never owned one.
Not to worry. I think a lot of people think of the zombie apocalypse or a B horror flick when they think of "crazy" people off their meds. I am simply persuaded by the professionals treating the seriously mentally ill (like acute bi polar and schizophrenia). Those are the two big ones and the rest, IMO, are in a different level and not nearly as much an issue although going through withdrawal could be difficult.

OKCisOK4me
02-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Yeah, there was a couple on one of the shows I was watching where they're skimping on their meds one or two days a week to stock up.

RadicalModerate
02-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Anyone "Prepping" for "Doomsday" might consider spending maybe an hour and a half watching "The Yearling". There are some real, realistic Survival Skills exhibited in that movie.

RadicalModerate
02-08-2015, 10:43 PM
COMPOUND BOW. That's what I was trying to remember. I'm clearly a novice. But it seems like such a useful weapon.

Imagine a "Compound Bow" . . . in The 5th Dimension . . .
(it, for sure, would protect one from Doomsday . . . =)
But you would still have to gut whatever you shot and eat it.
Raw. On account of Questing for Fire (in the rain).

Where I went to school, the dining room didn't look as nice as it does now . . .
http://www.colorado.edu/umc/dining/alferd-packer

Yet, the point is . . . Doomsday Prep?
Google Alferd Packer or The Donner Party . . .
Never mind . . . I'll make it simple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alferd_Packer

Remember: I grew up in the shadow of Rocky Flats Atomic Bomb Plant so my perspective is relieved. (regarding "doomsday") =)

PennyQuilts
02-09-2015, 06:40 AM
I don't think modern day preppers are particular concerned about surviving a nuclear or atomic war and living in bunkers. As I understand the movement, it's more a question of figuring out how to survive and rebuild after a societal collapse. The conditions they fear are more akin to pushing back to 1900 than Mad Max. During the duck and cover days of the atomic scare, a good part of the population comfortable with living in a 1900 world was alive and well. Those skills, tools and knowledge are largely lost in the electronic/digital/computer age. Losing the grid, emp or cyberwarfare are unique threats in our culture due to being dependent on such things, reliance on global trade to keep things humming and dense population centers overbuilt for the regional ability to sustain. As to gutting and cooking a dead deer, there are all kinds of workshops and youtubes on that. Female hunters have been big business in recent years. Keep the pruners handy...

NoOkie
02-14-2015, 07:53 PM
This is the best piece I've ever read on the idea of disaster preparedness and dealing with a real world situation: Listening to Katrina (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/)

It made me reevaluate a lot of my preconceived notions(e.g. "Those people are nutters" or "Hahaha, duct tape and plastic sheeting.") and plans(i.e. none) and actually put some stuff together. Nothing fancy, just a few little kits of essentials and some options/plans.

Edit: Seriously. Go read that link. It's a really good first hand account of poop hitting the rotary air mover and the things that worked and the things that didn't.

OKCisOK4me
02-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the link NoOkie.