Plutonic Panda
02-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Hopewell Baptist Church
Historic Teepee Church in NW OKC

http://okcmod.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/img650.jpg

Plutonic Panda
02-03-2015, 04:27 PM
From the Oklahoman

The original color of the shingles on the roof of the 1951 Hopewell Baptist Church matched the red earth of the northwest Oklahoma County prairie.

Designed by University of Oklahoma architect Bruce Goff, the teepee-shaped church at NW 178 and N MacArthur Boulevard fell in disrepair in the 1990s and 2000s. Silver-shingles that covered the original ones were falling off. Holes were opening in the ceiling. The floor was caving in.

But with restoration efforts of recent years, the roof has been replaced with shingles that match the original color. And the steel trusses that make the frame have been repainted to the original silver, said the Rev. Terry Ward.

Ward is the pastor of the church, since renamed God’s Tabernacle of Praise, a non-denominational congregation. Church services now are held in a building next to the old one. But the plan is to move back into the old building when work is finished.

Ward said he will spend more time on the project to restore the teepee church this year than in any year past.

“I’m really hopeful,” Ward said.

He said if fundraising can help purchase the materials needed, there are plenty of volunteer laborers, from carpenters to plumbers, who want to help for free.

God’s Tabernacle of Praise plans to open the doors to the community for events or meetings once the building is restored, Ward said.

- Roof restored, work to begin inside historic teepee church in Oklahoma County | Oklahoman.com (http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5389489?access=6086eec1b2e37a8d29b06ac92c411bc7&utm_campaign=LOOKatOKC&utm_source=Social&utm_medium=LOOKFB)

PS, Tabernacle is a hilarious word. Probably in my top ten now.

Plutonic Panda
02-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Just curious, why is this listed as being in Edmond? It is far from the actual city limits...

Bellaboo
02-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Just curious, why is this listed as being in Edmond? It is far from the actual city limits...

Everything out there has an Edmond address, that'd be my guess.

hfry
02-03-2015, 04:48 PM
That would be my thought. I live a about a mile away and have an Edmond address. It is about a mile from Oklahoma City limits as well so its in that no mans land but Deer Creek has been more and more identifying themselves as Edmond, almost like a suburb of Edmond, not that it makes much sense.

Plutonic Panda
02-03-2015, 04:54 PM
That's weird. I wonder if it would be worth it for Edmond to annex Deer Creek.

Urbanized
02-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Any idea if they used hex fish scale shingles for the re-roof? I would like to think so, but somehow doubt it. That's one of my favorite buildings in the metro. Used to drive by it doing lumber deliveries all the time as a youngster, long before I knew who Goff was or the great story behind the church.

Patrick
02-03-2015, 07:03 PM
This building is an absolute dump, and it should've been bulldozed a long time ago. I find nothing attractive about it.

Urbanized
02-03-2015, 07:07 PM
There it is.

Village
02-03-2015, 07:36 PM
This building is an absolute dump, and it should've been bulldozed a long time ago. I find nothing attractive about it.

Are you serious?

bluedogok
02-03-2015, 07:55 PM
The Edmond post office handles the distribution in that area. A friend lives off Charter Oak and Penn and his mail is Edmond. We are in unincorporated Arapahoe County but our mail is still handled by the Aurora post office, so Aurora is out mailing address.

Good to see someone is finally bringing it back.

Bellaboo
02-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Not sure if this is true, but my parents used to say that the metal framework came off of drilling rigs. That was back in the 60's.

Village
02-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Not sure if this is true, but my parents used to say that the metal framework came off of drilling rigs. That was back in the 60's.

Oh but it is!
From Wikipedia:
The building cost $20,000, and Goff reduced his fee for the design and for supervising the construction to $1,200.[3] The design was intended to be imaginative on a frugal budget, using surplus pipe and corrugated aluminum from oil fields, volunteer labor to weld the pipes and build the church, and local supplies like rock from quarries in nearby Calumet, Oklahoma.[3]

Urbanized
02-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that's part of the story I mentioned. Goff's intention was to design something that the congregation (of modest means) could build inexpensively, with materials at hand, and build themselves using volunteer labor. Considering the location and time, drill pipe was plentiful and cheap; much cheaper than structural steel.

Village
02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Yeah, that's part of the story I mentioned. Goff's intention was to design something that the congregation (of modest means) could build inexpensively, with materials at hand, and build themselves using volunteer labor. Considering the location and time, drill pipe was plentiful and cheap; much cheaper than structural steel.

Yup, Unfortunately while easy to make it wasn't exactly perfect as you can imagine. It was made by unskilled laborers (Mainly Churchgoers) on every weekend from 1947 to 1951. It apparently leaked whenever it rained .

CuatrodeMayo
02-04-2015, 09:27 AM

Unfortunately, this is probably the majority opinion.

architect5311
02-04-2015, 09:51 AM
That's weird. I wonder if it would be worth it for Edmond to annex Deer Creek.

Deer Creek is only a school district...no town proper.

bombermwc
02-05-2015, 07:45 AM
Unfortunately, this is probably the majority opinion.

Well if you know the history of how/why it was built, it losses some of it's awe. Made out of oil rig equipment on the cheap, it's not exactly made to stand the test of time. It's small too. They made something that was a VERY cool design, so yes it's interesting, but unless you've got a wedding chapel wanting to move in and add on space to it, you're kinda stuck.

I'd love for something like that to buy it and when they add their banquet space, to incorporate some of the elements into that structure. Think about marketing that to all the energy workers for their weddings? But being the pessimist I am with these things, I think the bulldozer is eventually gonna get it.

If they're really pushing for it to be used like the first article says, I wonder if they ever thought about setting up a GoFundMe?

Urbanized
02-05-2015, 08:08 AM
The history of how/why it was built is largely what makes it important architecturally.

CuatrodeMayo
02-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Well if you know the history of how/why it was built, it losses some of it's awe. Made out of oil rig equipment on the cheap, it's not exactly made to stand the test of time. It's small too. They made something that was a VERY cool design, so yes it's interesting, but unless you've got a wedding chapel wanting to move in and add on space to it, you're kinda stuck.

I'd love for something like that to buy it and when they add their banquet space, to incorporate some of the elements into that structure. Think about marketing that to all the energy workers for their weddings? But being the pessimist I am with these things, I think the bulldozer is eventually gonna get it.

If they're really pushing for it to be used like the first article says, I wonder if they ever thought about setting up a GoFundMe?

Thanks for reinforcing my point...

Tigerguy
02-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks for reinforcing my point...

Oh, it didn't seem like all doom and gloom when I read it. I don't think what was written was completely unreasonable. He may not hold out much hope in the long term, but he does think it "interesting" and "a VERY cool design." There may also be some difficulty in bringing it into the standards of modern day usage, as may be decided by the tenant. (It definitely sounds like they want to embrace the challenge, though.) Doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't give a flip about whether it stays or goes.

bombermwc
02-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Yeah don't mistake my Debbie downer syndrome for lack of interest. As tiger says, I think it's a great item to save, I just don't hold out a lot of hope for it.

Urbanized
02-06-2015, 07:53 AM
It needs a foundation/conservancy separate from the church. It could be a destination for architects and fans of architecture, and would be eligible for donations, grants, etc., dedicated to its preservation and maintenance. This should happen now, rather than 10 or 20 years down the road when it is threatened again.

Bellaboo
02-06-2015, 08:30 AM
It needs a foundation/conservancy separate from the church. It could be a destination for architects and fans of architecture, and would be eligible for donations, grants, etc., dedicated to its preservation and maintenance. This should happen now, rather than 10 or 20 years down the road when it is threatened again.

It can be the west side of Edmond's 'Round Barn'.

Plutonic Panda
02-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Metro Church Closer To Being Complete After Numerous Donations - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/28046640/metro-church-closer-to-being-complete-after-numerous-donations)

Urbanized
02-06-2015, 03:25 PM
It can be the west side of Edmond's 'Round Barn'.
Perfect example, though unfortunately Hopewell isn't on Route 66. The Round Barn was very lucky in that regard.