View Full Version : Windows 7 64 question............

Achilleslastand
02-02-2015, 12:23 AM
I usually do a fresh install of windows every 12-18 months only I realized I loaned my copy to a friend and he has vanished. I usually get stuff like this on newegg and im sure it retails for around 100$ ,but ive found OEM versions on Amazon for around 75 which I think are pretty much the same as what they have on newegg.
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-Builder-Refurbished-Installation/dp/B00LG0K4MM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422861431&sr=8-2&keywords=windows+7+64+home&pebp=1422861456331&peasin=B00LG0K4MM

Does this look legit?

And yes ive already checked every physical retailer in the metro area with no luck.

jn1780
02-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Looks legit to me. Its the same product OEM copy that Newegg sells.

David
02-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Some here. Plus, with that you should be eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10.

venture
02-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Some here. Plus, with that you should be eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10.

For the first year anyway. ;) Remember, Windows 10 will be an annual subscription now.

jn1780
02-02-2015, 09:06 AM
For the first year anyway. ;) Remember, Windows 10 will be an annual subscription now.

That would be a major mistake for them to make.

This was from a couple of weeks ago. We will see if it stays true.

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

David
02-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Yeah, the annual subscription take on it was a misinterpretation of what was announced. In this case free for a year just means that's the window for getting the free upgrade. Wait a year and a day and you'll have to buy it.

venture
02-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Makes more sense. I didn't go back and read anything recently, so thanks for clarifying. :)

rtz
02-04-2015, 02:05 AM
I usually do a fresh install of windows every 12-18 months

Bought a Mac Mini in 2010. Still using it. I never turn it off, never reboot it, it has never crashed. If it was to stop working today; I'd buy another one and keep on going.

I had many PC's. First one was a 486 DX, 33mhz, 4 megs ram. May have had a 20 or 40 meg hard drive. DOS and dial up BBS's. Later a P100, and then way, way too many PC's(self built machines) and upgrades.

Reasons I never owned an Apple computer earlier:

They used to be absolutely sub par. Especially for the price. Second reason was I used to in my younger years play games on the computer. So either the game was not even available for the platform, or it would have been a miserable experience. Case in point: Quake 3. That was when an Apple tower was big dollars and they had just released those fruity colored iMacs with a computer built into a CRT monitor. It had some ATI Rage card in it and ran Quake 3 at like 640x480 with the options turned down and even then not at a good frame rate.

It all changed when I stopped playing games.

Not only that; but I used Win 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT4, Win2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7. I loathed every one of them. I bailed and am never going back.

DOS was my favorite MS OS. Wasted far too much time with Linux. Always felt like a Russian clone of Windows.

If you only use the net and check email; seriously consider getting an Apple machine and leaving MS behind for good.

ctchandler
02-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Rtz,
I'm a little bit before your time. My first computer was an Atari 800 but my first PC was a 286 with 540kb and a 32mb hard drive. I eventually built my own "fast" AMD with lots of everything in 2002. I used Windows 286, 3.0, 3.1, and all the way up to XP when I went over to the "Dark Side". January, 2006 I bought a Mac Pro and less than a year later a MacBook to take on trips. I have never looked back. I recently replaced my pro with a loaded IMac. I don't remember the apple ever being "sub par", if you remember, Apple had "windows" before Microsoft was a company. Actually, I think they were in business, but their main product was Dos. Windows was a poor attempt to duplicate what Apple has done almost (notice I said "almost") since they started. It has taken a long time for Windows to catch Apple, but I think they are comparable now, I just don't want to be a computer expert to use a computer at home and Macs just work. By the way, I'm a retired IT professional, so technology is not a problem, but a pc requires more thinking than I am willing to do just to perform a task that the computer should handle. I agree with/don't disagree with several of your reasons for not getting a Mac. My reason was that everything we did at work required pcs, so it didn't make sense not to stay compatible at home.
C. T.

White Peacock
02-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Yeah, the annual subscription take on it was a misinterpretation of what was announced. In this case free for a year just means that's the window for getting the free upgrade. Wait a year and a day and you'll have to buy it.

That's exactly right; upon release, Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users have one year to redeem their free upgrade to Windows 10, after which there will be a fee associated with the upgrade.