View Full Version : Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Pete
01-22-2015, 08:45 AM
OKCTalk has learned from a number of restaurant and bar operators the smoking laws are almost certain to change very soon.

The Oklahoma Restaurant Association (ORA), the main lobbying group for the food service industry in the state, has decided to work with legislators on the new law, in the hope they can help shape it. It seems they have accepted the fact things are going to change so they will shift their focus to softening the impact to their members.

Look for a new bill to be introduced next month. It would ban smoking in all public places (including bars and restaurants) but would allow one year to comply. Currently, any bar that only admits those over 21 can allow smoking. Also, bars and restaurants can operate smoking rooms as long as they meet guidelines for separation and ventilation.

The current restrictions became effective on March 1, 2006, at which time several restaurants opted to spend considerable sums to create new smoking areas.

It seems one compromise the ORA is hoping to achieve is to minimize the distance from a door that smoking can occur, and effectively allow smoking on most patios. Also, they are hoping to make exceptions for tobacco and cigar retailers.

If the new law makes it out of committee in the current session, most feel it will have enough votes to pass. There is the possibility it won't make it that far, but those in the industry have pretty much accepted the reality it would only be delayed one more year, if then.

We've been told that bankers are no longer loaning money to businesses where their plan is strongly tied to indoor smoking, as they are confident of the law changing in the next year or two.

Also, I know some restaurants and bars that allow smoking are already making plans for the switch.

At 25.2%, Oklahoma's smoking rate among adults is the 4th highest in the country, behind only Kentucky, West Virginia, and Mississippi.

Oklahoma is one of only 13 states that does not have a statewide smoking ban.

Texas is set to consider a ban in the coming year but unlike Oklahoma, allows counties and cities to establish their own regulations. Currently, over 100 cities in Texas have instituted smoking bans.

The current Oklahoma law specifically prohibits cities from instituting smoking bans more restrictive than the state regulations.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/US_states_smoking_bans.svg/450px-US_states_smoking_bans.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Smoking_ban_key.svg/375px-Smoking_ban_key.svg.png

bchris02
01-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Oklahoma lawmaker proposes legislation to make public places smoke-free | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-lawmaker-proposes-legislation-to-make-public-places-smoke-free/article/5387772?earlyAccess=true)

This is a step in the right direction. While I personally would establish a system that didn't outright ban smoking but instead penalized businesses that allowed it with a tax, something needs to change in this area. One of the biggest complaints I hear from new transplants to OKC is the fact smoking is still common in most bars being that most of the time they are coming from a state that has banned it. There are some negative implications however. Does anybody know whether or not this includes exemptions for places like cigar bars? Whether or not I support it depends greatly on that.

Pete
01-26-2015, 11:04 AM
The ORA will use their ample lobbying forces to stall this as much as possible, but it seems they even know the writing is on the wall.

As stated in the article atop the page, they may be able to stall one more year, but that's probably as far as this will be strung out.

Pete
01-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Oklahoma lawmaker proposes legislation to make public places smoke-free | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-lawmaker-proposes-legislation-to-make-public-places-smoke-free/article/5387772?earlyAccess=true)

This is a step in the right direction. While I personally would establish a system that didn't outright ban smoking but instead penalized businesses that allowed it with a tax, something needs to change in this area.

The legislation would ban smoking in all public areas.

corwin1968
01-26-2015, 11:43 AM
My opinion is that they should maximize the distance from the doors that people can smoke. I hate having to walk thru people's second-hand smoke to enter a building! I'm all for a state-wide ban but would support limited exceptions, like cigar/tobacco stores. Will this also apply to people driving cars? One of my biggest pet-peeves is being stuck at a stoplight and having to inhale someone's second-hand smoke. Makes me irrational.

Pete
01-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Several other states have ordinances that ban smoking within 20 feet of any door into a public space.

I believe the ORA is hoping to get that reduced or eliminated otherwise large sections of many patios will be affected.

Plutonic Panda
01-26-2015, 12:03 PM
The legislation would ban smoking in all public areas.thats good. Smoking should not be banned in private businesses. If I open a business, it should be up to me whether I would smoking or not.

Pete
01-26-2015, 12:06 PM
thats good. Smoking should not be banned in private businesses. If I open a business, it should be up to me whether I would smoking or not.

There is already a ban in all workplaces -- including private businesses -- with a few exceptions.

OkiePoke
01-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Kind of off topic, but how does Henry Hudsons allow smoking in all of their restaurants. I thought if food is served, smoking has to be segregated.

I don't visit bars that allow smoking inside any longer. I loved going out in Dallas for that fact. There are more and more places banning smoking indoors; I'm glad this is going through.

I would like to see an exception for establishments that are focused on smoking, cigar lounges, etc.

Plutonic Panda
01-26-2015, 12:15 PM
There is already a ban in all workplaces -- including private businesses -- with a few exceptions.really? I have personally seen restaraunts that allow smoking.

David
01-26-2015, 12:19 PM
really? I have personally seen restaraunts that allow smoking.

From the article:

Currently, any bar that only admits those over 21 can allow smoking. Also, bars and restaurants can operate smoking rooms as long as they meet guidelines for separation and ventilation.

I imagine those are the few exceptions that Pete mentioned.

Pete
01-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Kind of off topic, but how does Henry Hudsons allow smoking in all of their restaurants. I thought if food is served, smoking has to be segregated.

The currently law provides exceptions for segregated/ventilated areas OR places which only allow those over 21.

onthestrip
01-26-2015, 12:23 PM
For about 4 or 5 straight years, there has been a law proposed that would allow cities to make their own tougher smoking laws than the states. We are only one of two states (Tennessee is the other) that prevent cities having tougher smoking laws than the state. Kinda like our lawmakers preventing cities from having a higher min wage than the state. But several of the previous years attempts at changing the law was shot down in committee by Sen. Brian Crain. And not too surprisingly, Crain has been one of, if not the biggest recipient of tobacco lobbying money.

So best of luck to Sen. Grffin to actually ban it outright. Because even just allowing cities to decide has been too difficult of a task for the folks at the capital. I do feel like this ban on indoor smoking would have a huge impact on reducing rates and new smokers. And at the same time it will lower peoples dry cleaning bills!

Pete
01-26-2015, 12:33 PM
^

Many restaurant and bar operators opposed the city-by-city legislation because they want a consistent state-wide ban.

I think there is a good chance the statewide law will finally go to the people, where it would be sure to pass.

trousers
01-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Will this also apply to people driving cars? One of my biggest pet-peeves is being stuck at a stoplight and having to inhale someone's second-hand smoke. Makes me irrational.
Really...seems a little extreme?

Pete
01-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Many states ban smoking in the car when a minor is also on board.

OkiePoke
01-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Really...seems a little extreme?

My biggest problem with that is most of them throw their cigarette out the window when they are done.

OkiePoke
01-26-2015, 12:58 PM
The currently law provides exceptions for segregated/ventilated areas OR places which only allow those over 21.

I see. I thought if the establishment served food, they couldn't smoke too. Now I know, thanks.

Jersey Boss
01-26-2015, 02:29 PM
My biggest problem with that is most of them throw their cigarette out the window when they are done.

While this is true in some cases, a case could be made for outlawing drive thru fast food joints based on trash coming out of windows and cargo areas of p/u trucks.

trousers
01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
While this is true in some cases, a case could be made for outlawing drive thru fast food joints based on trash coming out of windows and cargo areas of p/u trucks.
Beat me too it. Also any store that uses plastic bags, the tumbleweed of the future.

Plutonic Panda
01-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Plastic bags and styrofoam should be outlawed.

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm okay for banning in public places, but telling anyone what to do in their own establishment is an infringement on liberty and I'm strongly against.

adaniel
01-27-2015, 10:32 AM
^
We do it all the time (bars can't serve intoxicated people, business can't discriminate on basis of race, can't price gouge people during times of crisis, etc.) The notion that business can do whatever the hell they want because 'Murica has never been true in modern times. We live in a modern society governed by laws to allow for a certain level of order and health.

Freedom and liberty are nice but there is nothing in the constitution that allows you to breathe carcinogens in my face. Whether that is in a publicly or privately owned establishment is besides the point IMO. At a minimum, a state government that is led by people who complain loudly about federal overreach are huge hypocrites by not allowing municipalities to govern themselves when it comes to this.

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 10:35 AM
^
We do it all the time (bars can't serve intoxicated people, business can't discriminate on basis of race, can't price gouge people during times of crisis, etc.) The notion that business can do whatever the hell they want because 'Murica has never been true in modern times.

Freedom and liberty are nice but there is nothing in the constitution that allows you to breathe carcinogens in my face. At a minimum, a state government that is led by people who complain loudly about federal overreach are huge hypocrites by not allowing municipalities to govern themselves.

I didn't say we didn't, I said I'm against such infringements on liberty.

trousers
01-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Anyone else find it funny that someone driving a combustion engine is upset about the cigarette smoke coming from another combustion engine?

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Anyone else find it funny that someone driving a combustion engine is upset about the cigarette smoke coming from another combustion engine?

How dare you try and make sense of it. :D

Pete
01-27-2015, 10:54 AM
There have been tons of laws and regulations about combustion engines for decades.

As a consequence, emissions are way, way down; you barely even seen smog here in L.A. any more.

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 10:59 AM
There have been tons of laws and regulations about combustion engines for decades.

As a consequence, emissions are way, way down; you barely even seen smog here in L.A. any more.

Is that a joke? Cause when I was there in November there was smog every morning. I couldn't believe how terrible it was. Of course that's not something we really deal with in OKC so maybe I'm just a lot more sensitive to it.

adaniel
01-27-2015, 11:01 AM
I didn't say we didn't, I said I'm against such infringements on liberty.

So are you okay with retail establishments not allowing minorities or females? Saying you can't is infringing on who they can and cannot serve. Are you okay with restaurants serving spoiled/rotten food or keeping unsanitary conditions to save money? Why should a health inspector dictate their business, after all.

Not trying to put you on the spot, but when you start talking about no "infringement on liberty" you are going to allow some pretty unsavory stuff. And frankly, smoking is considered by most to be a public nuisance and health hazard, which in no way is considered a "liberty" under most laws.

Pete
01-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Is that a joke? Cause when I was there in November there was smog every morning. I couldn't believe how terrible it was. Of course that's not something we really deal with in OKC so maybe I'm just a lot more sensitive to it.

What you probably saw was the marine layer or just haze, not smog. There hasn't been visible smog in L.A. in quite a while. I worked on the 29th floor of a downtown building and never once saw it.

Study: Cleaner cars have reduced some Los Angeles air pollution levels by 98% | MNN - Mother Nature Network (http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/stories/study-cleaner-cars-have-reduced-some-los-angeles-air-pollution-lev)

Smog levels have dropped 98% in the last 50 years and 48% in just the last decade, despite 3x the amount of gas being burned as compared to five decades ago.

The point being that trying to say it's ironic to talk about smoking in cars when cars also emit harmful fumes does not take into account that car emissions have been one of the most heavily -- and successfully -- regulated areas in U.S. history. If anything, it just points out how late to the party some states are in regulating smoking.

http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/user-11739/lasimplifiedgraphfinal2.jpg

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 11:15 AM
So are you okay with retail establishments not allowing minorities or females? Saying you can't is infringing on who they can and cannot serve. Are you okay with restaurants serving spoiled/rotten food or keeping unsanitary conditions to save money? Why should a health inspector dictate their business, after all.

Not trying to put you on the spot, but when you start talking about no "infringement on liberty" you are going to allow some pretty unsavory stuff. And frankly, smoking is considered by most to be a public nuisance and health hazard, which in no way is considered a "liberty" under most laws.

I'm okay with all that, and here's why, businesses that do that kind of stuff, won't survive or at least the majority won't. The one's that do will be well know on social media, and I wouldn't frequent them. Most people wouldn't.

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 11:17 AM
What you probably saw was the marine layer or just haze, not smog. There hasn't been visible smog in L.A. in quite a while. I worked on the 29th floor of a downtown building and never once saw it.

Study: Cleaner cars have reduced some Los Angeles air pollution levels by 98% | MNN - Mother Nature Network (http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/stories/study-cleaner-cars-have-reduced-some-los-angeles-air-pollution-lev)

Smog levels have dropped 98% in the last 50 years and 48% in just the last decade, despite 3x the amount of gas being burned as compared to five decades ago.

The point being that trying to say it's ironic to talk about smoking in cars when cars also emit harmful fumes does not take into account that car emissions have been one of the most heavily -- and successfully -- regulated areas in U.S. history. If anything, it just points out how late to the party some states are in regulating smoking.

http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/user-11739/lasimplifiedgraphfinal2.jpg

Maybe. Just seemed like it was everywhere. I actually asked the person there that I was visiting and said what's with all the smog, and they said they hadn't noticed anything. Made me kind of think they were just used to it.

Cars have come a long ways though.

Pete
01-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Maybe. Just seemed like it was everywhere. I actually asked the person there that I was visiting and said what's with all the smog, and they said they hadn't noticed anything. Made me kind of think they were just used to it.

Cars have come a long ways though.

I haven't seen smog in a very long time so I doubt very seriously that is what you saw.

It's virtually a non-issue any more.

Bill Robertson
01-27-2015, 11:24 AM

As a consequence, emissions are way, way down; you barely even seen smog here in L.A. any more.Also, I can drive or even ride the M/C all day long and not smell like car exhaust. If I go to Fox & Hound or similar for a pool tournament I can't wear my clothes into the house.

adaniel
01-27-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm okay with all that, and here's why, businesses that do that kind of stuff, won't survive or at least the majority won't. The one's that do will be well know on social media, and I wouldn't frequent them. Most people wouldn't.

This is a flawed argument libertarian-types like to use, that "the market" will somehow punish those who do wrong. Of course the real world doesn't operate so black and white. We are only a generation removed from both rampant discrimination and very loose restaurants regulations and very few businesses felt repercussions back then, otherwise they would have stopped doing it on their own. It was/is particularly problematic in smaller towns with limited choices. Likewise, very few places in OK have gone smoke free even though the vast majority of this state doesn't smoke. Why don't they reflect "the market?"

jerrywall
01-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Also, I can drive or even ride the M/C all day long and not smell like car exhaust. If I go to Fox & Hound or similar for a pool tournament I can't wear my clothes into the house.

I'm more sympathetic to someone who works in a smoking establishment, than I am a customer who chooses to enter the establishment. Banning smoking on that viewpoint is sort of like forcing a book store to sell pizza. You know what you're getting into going in. I avoid the typical Hudson's because of the smoke, for example.

Pete
01-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Keep in mind that all bars and restaurants are workplaces and that smoking is banned in all other workplaces for very good reasons.

It's not just the customers who are affected, it's the people who work there.

And before someone trots out the "Well, they should work somewhere else" argument, that doesn't fly when it comes to other industries that have in the past caused harm to their workers, such as mining and working with nuclear waste. Virtually every workplace is very heavily regulated to safeguard the health and safety of workers.

The only reason this has been slow to happen is the strong lobbying effort of bar and restaurant associations and the misguided notion that their business will be hurt (has already been disproven in many other states and countries).

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 01:05 PM
This is a flawed argument libertarian-types like to use, that "the market" will somehow punish those who do wrong. Of course the real world doesn't operate so black and white. We are only a generation removed from both rampant discrimination and very loose restaurants regulations and very few businesses felt repercussions back then, otherwise they would have stopped doing it on their own. It was/is particularly problematic in smaller towns with limited choices. Likewise, very few places in OK have gone smoke free even though the vast majority of this state doesn't smoke. Why don't they reflect "the market?"

I'm pretty sure today that the vast majority of people born today are going to more progressive than their counterparts 75 years ago. That progression may have been slower had the government not changed laws, but to think those practices wouldn't have mostly phased themselves out over time just isn't realistic.

TheTravellers
01-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Cigarette smoke smells waaaaaaaay nastier than most car/truck exhaust in OKC (excepting the POS ones that spew all kinds of stuff, I"m talking about a normally maintained one).

adaniel
01-27-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure today that the vast majority of people born today are going to more progressive than their counterparts 75 years ago. That progression may have been slower had the government not changed laws, but to think those practices wouldn't have mostly phased themselves out over time just isn't realistic.

This is a fair point.

IDK, I don't feel like people change that much and will just glide on inertia unless pushed. Maybe I'm just cynical and I feel that sometimes society needs more than just a little nudge.

In any event, I'm getting way off topic here. I very much hope OK gets its smoking level down, I've buried too many relatives who used tobacco.

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 01:28 PM
This is a fair point.

IDK, I don't feel like people change that much and will just glide on inertia unless pushed. Maybe I'm just cynical and I feel that sometimes society needs more than just a little nudge.

In any event, I'm getting way off topic here. I very much hope OK gets its smoking level down, I've buried too many relatives who used tobacco.

I agree with this. Luckily most in my family have quit.

turnpup
01-27-2015, 02:01 PM
I tend to agree with Zuplar, because I suppose I'm one of those "Libertarian types". But the counter-posters make some really good, thought-provoking arguments. That's what I like about reading the threads here. Just when I think I'm 100% one direction, somebody on the other side says something that sets me to thinking about it differently. It may or may not make me change my mind, but it's a good thing to at least *consider* others' viewpoints. That's pretty cool to be able to read all the varying ideas and opinions, IMO.

Stew
01-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Philosophically I am against these type of smoking bans but if it passes then eh I'll enjoy the injustice in smoke free comfort.

trousers
01-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Cigarette smoke smells waaaaaaaay nastier than most car/truck exhaust in OKC (excepting the POS ones that spew all kinds of stuff, I"m talking about a normally maintained one).
Oh I agree. My comment was really directed to the poster that was complaining about someone in a completely different car smoking while they were at the same stoplight. That just seemed to be a tad bit much.

OkiePoke
01-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Oh I agree. My comment was really directed to the poster that was complaining about someone in a completely different car smoking while they were at the same stoplight. That just seemed to be a tad bit much.

It is annoying when you can smell the person in the car next to you smoking.

okie405
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Good!

What about e-cigarrettes and hookah?

I don't particularly enjoy inhaling cigarettes or e-cigarettes... bad health effects, cancer, and what not.

If people want to smoke or e-cig in their own homes, go for it.

OKCRT
01-27-2015, 06:45 PM
One of these day in the not too distant future smoking will be outlawed all together.
If you are caught taking a puff you get 90 days in jail.

That is just the world we live in today. It's coming.

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 07:24 PM
I will concur with the e-cigs statement. Those need to be banned in public places as well.

Bill Robertson
01-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm more sympathetic to someone who works in a smoking establishment, than I am a customer who chooses to enter the establishment. Banning smoking on that viewpoint is sort of like forcing a book store to sell pizza. You know what you're getting into going in. I avoid the typical Hudson's because of the smoke, for example.I sympathize with the workers too. We were regulars of a non-smoking bar & grill that closed recently and a major concern of some of the employees, our friends, was finding good employment in a non-smoking environment. But as a customer that loves shooting pool I'm very, very limited in where I can go since I really hate the smell of smoke. Let alone the health effects. If there were even a few non-smoking bars set up just like the smoking ones I would be against a smoking ban. There is Main Event now but the non-existent service there has been covered in another thread and you have tons of unsupervised kids running all over which is not conducive to shooting pool. Yes, I'm being selfish that I want to shoot pool in a non-smoking environment more than I care about the rights of smokers but it is what it is.

Roger S
01-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Yes, I'm being selfish that I want to shoot pool in a non-smoking environment more than I care about the rights of smokers but it is what it is.

I'm right there with ya but I don't consider it being selfish...... When it comes to rights. Which one holds more sway? My right to breathe clean air or their right to pollute the air?

I think it's more about the irresponsibility of smokers, than about rights, but how do you have any expectation of someone partaking of such an irresponsible habit doing the responsible thing? They don't care about their own health. So they dang sure don't care about anyone elses.

jerrywall
01-28-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm right there with ya but I don't consider it being selfish...... When it comes to rights. Which one holds more sway? My right to breathe clean air or their right to pollute the air?

I think it's more about the irresponsibility of smokers, than about rights, but how do you have any expectation of someone partaking of such an irresponsible habit doing the responsible thing? They don't care about their own health. So they dang sure don't care about anyone elses.

I do consider it a little selfish. If you told me you want to go to a non-smoking bar or restaurant in OKC? My reply is sure, let me give you a list. I manage to go to them somehow. I don't know why that's hard for some folks.... There are PLENTY. To me, choosing to go to a smoking establishment, and then complaining about the smoking? It's like coming to my house and complaining about the decor. There is a matter of choice involved, unless you're a total moron who can't be aware of where you're going.

Roger S
01-28-2015, 10:04 AM
I do consider it a little selfish. If you told me you want to go to a non-smoking bar or restaurant in OKC? My reply is sure, let me give you a list. I manage to go to them somehow. I don't know why that's hard for some folks.... There are PLENTY.

So tell me how I go about choosing to play league pool without having to walk into a smoking establishment?

I would switch leagues in a heartbeat if such a thing existed.

jerrywall
01-28-2015, 10:14 AM
So tell me how I go about choosing to play league pool without having to walk into a smoking establishment?

I would switch leagues in a heartbeat if such a thing existed.

Honestly, that's the one thing I can't answer. I don't play pool. It's news to me if no non smoking leagues exist. I know there are smoke free places to play pool, but I don't know if the leagues play there. I just know as a diner and drinker, there are always plenty of options that are smoke free. The folks who are in the pool leagues should push the league runners to go to smoke free places. Since the majority of folks don't smoke, I don't see why this should be hard.

Roger S
01-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Honestly, that's the one thing I can't answer. I don't play pool. It's news to me if no non smoking leagues exist. I know there are smoke free places to play pool, but I don't know if the leagues play there. I just know as a diner and drinker, there are always plenty of options that are smoke free. The folks who are in the pool leagues should push the league runners to go to smoke free places. Since the majority of folks don't smoke, I don't see why this should be hard.

But now you understand why it is HARD for some folks to find a smoke free environment?

I manage very well to avoid smokers 6 days a week but for 5 hours one day a week I have to tolerate the irresponsibilty of others to indulge in an activity I get a lot of enjoyment from and quite honestly would play more than one night a week if not for the smokers.

jerrywall
01-28-2015, 10:41 AM
But now you understand why it is HARD for some folks to find a smoke free environment?

I manage very well to avoid smokers 6 days a week but for 5 hours one day a week I have to tolerate the irresponsibilty of others to indulge in an activity I get a lot of enjoyment from and quite honestly would play more than one night a week if not for the smokers.

I can't understand, because I don't play pool, but I can take your word for it. That being said, I still can't agree that an elective activity is a valid reason for a ban, since it's voluntary. I have an allergy to perfumes which causes me real problems (like ER problems). I'd love a ban on people wearing too much perfume/cologne. But it's not happening. I DO HOWEVER support it (it being a smoking ban) on a stance of protecting employees and providing a safe and happy work environment. Of course, in that position, we should also ban cigar lounges...

Pete
01-28-2015, 10:45 AM
I had always found smoke mildly annoying but my mother smoked (and died of lung cancer at 55) and I just dealt with it.

But since living in California and virtually not even smelling it for weeks on end, I'm now incredibly sensitive.

I literally get nauseated by the smell and can't be around it for any length of time.

I think most people don't realize how incredibly disgusting it is until you get completely away from it.

jerrywall
01-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Pete, curiosity question.

Are dedicated cigar lounges or smoke clubs allowed in California?

Pete
01-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Pete, curiosity question.

Are dedicated cigar lounges or smoke clubs allowed in California?

Not sure how it works... I know there are private cigar clubs, but I think you have to be a member of some sort.

California was the first to enact the statewide ban back in the 90's. I was already living here at that time and remember the outcry from the bars and restaurants and all the hand-wringing about lost profits and enforcement.

But amazingly when it finally went into effect, things went very smoothly. People just adapted.

It's true that fewer people smoke out here to start (and it's dropping rapidly since the ban) but at that time, smoking was very common in the entertainment industry. I worked at Paramount and some other entertainment companies and lots of execs smoked in their offices and almost all the creative people smoked.

But that changed and pretty rapidly. There was a time when no one could imagine going into a Hollywood club where smoking was banned; now, no one can even remember the days when that was allowed.

And of course, things have only become much more strict here since. Several cities ban it everywhere but your home. Santa Monica even bans smoking outside on your own property and lots of apartment buildings have banned it completely.

And almost all restaurant patios have banned it too.

jerrywall
01-28-2015, 10:59 AM
The reason I ask is I'm curious how a ban would affect something like WSKY, which is a cigar lounge. Would that part have to go away?

Pete
01-28-2015, 11:01 AM
The reason I ask is I'm curious how a ban would affect something like WSKY, which is a cigar lounge. Would that part have to go away?

They designed their space to convert to non-smoking when the time comes.

The humidor is in the back of the space and can be easily removed.

In any scenario, bars and restaurants would have another year or two to comply.