View Full Version : Cigar Culture in OKC

Pages : [1] 2

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Over the years, in here, I've noticed that at least a few posters appreciate the value of a fine cigar. Some might say it's nothing but blowing smoke. Others have no objection or opinion at all on the topic.

The best cigar I ever smoked was a Baccarat Churchill c/o my wife's co-worker whose own wife just had a baby.

Today, it remains my favorite cigar.

My next favorite was a Sam Leccia White, followed closely by a La Aurora Corojo with the La Aurora Equador well in the race.

Sorry . . . The immediate gratification involved with hundreds of hours of attempting to perfect something involving tobacco is difficult to express.

So . . . Any good cigar suggestions?

positano
01-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Over the years, in here, I've noticed that at least a few posters appreciate the value of a fine cigar. Some might say it's nothing but blowing smoke. Others have no objection or opinion at all on the topic.

The best cigar I ever smoked was a Baccarat Churchill c/o my wife's co-worker whose own wife just had a baby.

Today, it remains my favorite cigar.

My next favorite was a Sam Leccia White, followed closely by a La Aurora Corojo with the La Aurora Equador well in the race.

Sorry . . . The immediate gratification involved with hundreds of hours of attempting to perfect something involving tobacco is difficult to express.

So . . . Any good cigar suggestions?

Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurardo! It's on the menu at WSKY. 2014 Cigar of the Year. Was skeptical about it at first, but it was really nice.

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 08:47 PM
I think that WSKY hasn't been in the news enough lately. If you are willing to buy one of their signature cocktails is it OK to sneak in your cigar of preference? BTW: Thank you for the suggestion, but I draw the line at $8 for a cigar. Sorry, that sounded cheap. Hopefully, the stick referred to above, smoked in an elegant atmosphere instead of the garage mancave ain't over 10 dollars. =)

of course I had to raise objections. . . it's sorta the "cigar culture" deal, ain't it?
La Aurora Equator ain't too shabby. still . . . Sam Leccia White or Black rulz. =)

And thank you for the suggestion.

positano
01-21-2015, 09:08 PM
I think that WSKY hasn't been in the news enough lately. If you are willing to buy one of their signature cocktails is it OK to sneak in your cigar of preference? BTW: Thank you for the suggestion, but I draw the line at $8 for a cigar. Sorry, that sounded cheap. Hopefully, the stick referred to above, smoked in an elegant atmosphere instead of the garage mancave ain't over 10 dollars. =)

of course I had to raise objections. . . it's sorta the "cigar culture" deal, ain't it?
La Aurora Equator ain't too shabby. still . . . Sam Leccia White or Black rulz. =)

And thank you for the suggestion.

You are welcome. And for what it's worth, the price was right - I wasn't buying...

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 09:16 PM
WSKY Lounge is still on my CigarQuest and for a good reason.
I'll be looking for an "Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurardo"
over at ZT's . . . in The Village.
(apparently they didn't stock Sam Leccia Whites or Blacks and ran out of the Luchadores)
The Baccarat Churchills, et. al. were perfectly placed, btw.
Brick and Mortar . . . Whaddahya do?

Mel
01-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Meandering slightly off topic, you can go to just about any cigar store, I go to the one on NW 63rd. and May, and buy empty wooden cigar boxes for a dollar. Get the ones with the slide off tops. Use different sizes glued together and hang it on the wall as a curio cabinet. Use the same size in a row as a desk organizer. You could not buy your own wood that cheap and do it. Plus the lettering and smell is wonderful and you are repurposing too. The lids can be used as coasters or use your own imagination. I will still sneak a cigar every now and then.

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Don't be usin' words like Meandering. Not when texting about "Cigar Culture." =)
I occasionally enjoy a Dutch Masters President. From Buy For Less.

So . . . Is the correct spelling Humidor or Humordor? =)
vis-a-vis the Box Recycling?

Urbanized
01-21-2015, 09:33 PM
My favorite smoke is the La Gloria Cubana reserve #5 maduro

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 09:40 PM
My favorite smoke is the La Gloria Cubana reserve #5 maduro
Thank you, sir. it is now on my "to try" list. No matter what the price.

Mel
01-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Don't be usin' words like Meandering. Not when texting about "Cigar Culture." =)
I occasionally enjoy a Dutch Masters President. From Buy For Less.

So . . . Is the correct spelling Humidor or Humordor? =)
vis-a-vis the Box Recycling?

I thought it was Hufflepuff.

bluedogok
01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Back when I did (typically at the old TapWerks/Pumps location) for the most part I would get a Onyx Reserve Churchill Maduro. Been a long time since I have had one. The cigar shop at Quail Plaza is where I used to get them.

Thompson Cigar - Onyx Reserve Churchill Maduro (http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/ONYX-RESERVE-CHURCHILL-MADURO/68409.uts?subCategoryId=11088&categoryId=11088&parentCategoryId=11624)

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 09:59 PM
I thought it was Hufflepuff.

In Canada they spell it: Humouradoré (it's the box where ya' keep yer cigars in, eh?)
(all kidding aside: my favorite wrapper is from Cameroon.)

ljbab728
01-21-2015, 10:07 PM
What goes best with a Braum's banana split, RM?

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Back when I did (typically at the old TapWerks/Pumps location) for the most part I would get a Onyx Reserve Churchill Maduro. Been a long time since I have had one. The cigar shop at Quail Plaza is where I used to get them.

Thompson Cigar - Onyx Reserve Churchill Maduro (http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/ONYX-RESERVE-CHURCHILL-MADURO/68409.uts?subCategoryId=11088&categoryId=11088&parentCategoryId=11624)

No external marketing links allowed, amigo. OK? =)
No matter how good they may be.
I was very careful not to make this into an advertisement. =)
for whom or whatever.
i think it had something to do with bandwith or some such thing.

Did you know that "band" in terms of cigars is based on 64th?

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 10:10 PM
What goes best with a Braum's banana split, RM?

A proper sidewalk.
Duh.
(nice timing, btw . . . here: have a cigar.) =)

Plutonic Panda
01-21-2015, 10:29 PM
I've started smoking cigars about once every other weekend at WSKY. I'm a newbie when it comes to cigars, but I like them.

RadicalModerate
01-21-2015, 11:08 PM
I've started smoking cigars about once every other weekend at WSKY. I'm a newbie when it comes to cigars, but I like them.

It would probably be inappropriate to suggest that you defer the smoking of fine cigars until you are many, many years down the timeline in the direction of where you can appreciate their value. So I won't.

Plutonic Panda
01-21-2015, 11:27 PM
It would probably be inappropriate to suggest that you defer the smoking of fine cigars until you are many, many years down the timeline in the direction of where you can appreciate their value. So I won't.You just did, but then you took it back? 0__o

Either way, I enjoy their value... I think?

ljbab728
01-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Not to be a downer on everyone here but I was a smoker for many, many years (only occasionally cigars) but a heart attack about 10 years ago brought that to an immediate halt. I'm not a huge anti-smoking advocate but it certainly gives one pause when faced with a possible ultimate demise. I still remember how much I enjoyed it but I enjoy hanging a few more years much more. I'm sure moderation in consumption is advised in any case.

Urbanized
01-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Thank you, sir. it is now on my "to try" list. No matter what the price.
You're welcome, they're not too pricey. I buy them by the box on a wholesale-ish deal and store them in my humidor, so I might be off on individual price, but $8-9 a stick retail in cigar stores if I recall.

bchris02
01-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Not to be a downer on everyone here but I was a smoker for many, many years (only occasionally cigars) but a heart attack about 10 years ago brought that to an immediate halt. I'm not a huge anti-smoking advocate but it certainly gives one pause when faced with a possible ultimate demise. I still remember how much I enjoyed it but I enjoy hanging a few more years much more. I'm sure moderation in consumption is advised in any case.

Sorry to hear that but glad you made it through and congratulations on quitting. I was a pack-a-day cigarette smoker until last year. Cigarettes and cigars are completely different animals because cigars aren't inhaled. I love a nice cigar but I am worried about smoking them too often because I don't want to end up back on cigarettes.

Chadanth
01-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Partagas or a Montecristo White #2 would be my preference.

Jeepnokc
01-22-2015, 07:47 AM
Fuente short storys are my fall back. Enjoy nubs and also regularly smoke padron 64 anniversary maduros. Best smoke I have had was Camacho corojo diademas.

Urbanized
01-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Agree about the Padron 64s. That's a nice smoke.

RadicalModerate
01-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Thanks, one and all, for all the suggestions. On the advice of a customer of mine, who just happened to introduce the topic of cigars into a conversation, I've been buying my smokes online at a place whose initials are C.I. Great service, great products, great prices. Here's an example: You can build your own "Sampler" order choosing one five-pack from each of four tiers. If you were to simply buy a five-pack of my favorites from that order (the Sam Leccia Whites) it would cost over half of what the entire sampler cost. In other words, you are getting a bunch of $7 or $8 cigars for about two dollars each. I know . . . I know . . . that isn't helping the local economy, but there it is. To make up for all that, I will be shopping a local purveyor for individual samples of some of the sticks mentioned above. And I fully intend to actually make it to WSKY one of these days ( I think the owner of my local cigar store has something to do with WSKY).

loveOKC
01-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Depends on my mood. If I need a quick cheap smoke I'll lean more towards the Ashton VSG. But if I'm feeling splurgy I'll grab a Arturo Fuente Opus X or a Padron Series 1926

kelroy55
01-22-2015, 11:13 AM
I like Brickhouse maduro's.

Mel
01-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park is the cigar I TRY and sneak in when the DW isn't with me. But, she always can smell it on me and my derriere turns into grass and she becomes a power mower.

Zuplar
01-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Are there any good cigar bars in OKC metro? When I was in DC I went to this place called Shellys Backroom. Really nice place with a high end feel but affordable. Even had a wall of humidors you could rent out like storage lockers to keep cigsrs there.

Zuplar
01-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park is the cigar I TRY and sneak in when the DW isn't with me. But, she always can smell it on me and my derriere turns into grass and she becomes a power mower.

I got a couple of those in my humidor right now.

bluedogok
01-22-2015, 07:40 PM
I average about one cigar every three years, never smoked cigarettes. Even when I lived in OKC we did it about 3-4 times a year and with a Churchill that was one cigar.

I think I am fairly safe.

Richard at Remax
01-22-2015, 08:53 PM
I try to get in a good cigar almost every weekend.

My personal favorite is the Sol Cubano Artisan, followed by the Arturo fuente "short story" special reserve

Mel
01-22-2015, 09:01 PM
I got a couple of those in my humidor right now.

My humidor is full of my Wife's drawing supplies. sigh

Zuplar
01-23-2015, 07:59 AM
My humidor is full of my Wife's drawing supplies. sigh

Sounds like you need another humidor, or need to buy her a supplies box. This thread has made me ready for summer, I rarely smoke during the winter, since I only do so outside.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Although my favorite cigar seems to be the one that I'm smoking at the moment, here is a list of the sticks I've tried over the past couple of months ranked most favorite to least favorite.

Baccarat The Game (Churchill or Luchador) (My introduction to decent cigars. Still my favorite.)

Sam Leccia White (An amazing cigar. Perfect burn, tight ash, copious smoke. Appears on many "Top Ten"/"Best of" lists and I can see why.)

La Aurora Corojo (My favorite out of "Sampler 2" from C.I.)

La Aurora Cameroon (A very close second to the Corojo.)

Ave Maria Knights Templar (The most ornate band ever. And not a bad smoke.)

5 Vegas Cask Strength (Box pressed, very dark. Rich and tasty.)

La Aurora Ecuador (Right in the middle of the Sampler 2 selections.)

La Aurora Doble Maduro (Tasty, but a rather inconsistent burn and a tight draw.)

La Aurora Connecticut (Although ranked ninth here--and fifth among the Sampler 2 selections--I enjoyed all 60 min. of the time it took to smoke one.)

Romeo y Julietta Reserve (I had the highest expectations for this one, but they weren't met. Would I smoke another one. Definitely.)

I'm looking forward to trying every cigar suggested by others on this thread.

Jeepnokc
01-25-2015, 03:47 PM
I just got back from a week at Disney and tried a new stick there. Chateau Fuente King. Big smoke size wise....very mild to medium smoke all the way through. Took an hour to smoke. I will be looking to add a few to the humidor for regular rotation when I want a long easy smoke

ljbab728
01-25-2015, 08:50 PM
I just got back from a week at Disney and tried a new stick there. Chateau Fuente King. Big smoke size wise....very mild to medium smoke all the way through. Took an hour to smoke. I will be looking to add a few to the humidor for regular rotation when I want a long easy smoke

Did you catch the measles? :)

Zuplar
01-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Sometimes I'm not into long smokes, so I buy some 'cigarillos.' One's I've had the best luck with are Bandidos that I bought from Cigars International. They come in a bale of 60 or so and are fairly cheap. I usually take these to the lake along with maybe 1 'good' cigar. I recommend trying the Bandidos for those that want a 15 to 10 minute smoke occasionally. They are hand rolled so they aren't like a Swisher or anything from a gas station.

bchris02
01-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Sometimes I'm not into long smokes, so I buy some 'cigarillos.' One's I've had the best luck with are Bandidos that I bought from Cigars International. They come in a bale of 60 or so and are fairly cheap. I usually take these to the lake along with maybe 1 'good' cigar. I recommend trying the Bandidos for those that want a 15 to 10 minute smoke occasionally. They are hand rolled so they aren't like a Swisher or anything from a gas station.

If you are going to smoke a swisher you might as well just go with a cigarette.

Jeepnokc
01-26-2015, 02:30 PM
If you are going to smoke a swisher you might as well just go with a cigarette.

I smoked black and milds when I was much younger. A year or so ago, I decided to pick some up for fast smokes. They were so foul tasting. I can't believe I smoked them. Of course, I no longer drink beer out of white cans with 'BEER" written in black letters on the side either.

bchris02
01-26-2015, 02:33 PM
I smoked black and milds when I was much younger. A year or so ago, I decided to pick some up for fast smokes. They were so foul tasting. I can't believe I smoked them. Of course, I no longer drink beer out of white cans with 'BEER" written in black letters on the side either.

Not sure I've ever seen that other than in cartoons.

Urbanized
01-26-2015, 02:42 PM
It was a real thing. Back in the seventies and early eighties a lot of grocery stores had entire aisle of white-labeled generic products of all type, from pet food to motor oil to bread to charcoal to peaches...anything you can imagine. Eventually it was more or less replaced by house brands, and those products were integrated on the shelf next to the name brand stuff instead of having their own aisle. But for a few years, entire sections of supermarkets looked like something from the Dharma Initiative.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6308365/il_fullxfull.343086944.jpg

trousers
01-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Any other recommendations for cigarillo's?

Jeepnokc
01-26-2015, 06:56 PM

For a nice fast smoke, I like the fuente short storys. I am a fast smoker though as I don't like to relight

bluedogok
01-26-2015, 07:35 PM
You could have always gone with Scotch Buy beer, they even had a light beer.
http://www.billsbeercans.com/~billsbee/canstore/images/beer%20can%2010-3-11%20121.JPGhttp://www.canmuseum.com/Staging/Images/Cans/33170L.jpg

Zuplar
01-26-2015, 07:55 PM

I also get some Pintolino's that come in a little tin of ten. I get the flavored ones, really like the ones called Irish Cream. I've also gotten some Arturo Fuente's and John Bull. I really recommend the Bandido's from Cigars International. I think you'd be pleansantly surprised, but I get lot's of cigarillos cause they are easy to take, usually come in a tin and are sturdy for laking.

trousers
01-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. It's pretty rare when I go get any and when I do I end up giving half of the away. This sounds more up my alley.

kelroy55
01-27-2015, 07:57 AM

Oh geeze I remember that beer..... nasty stuff, I think it was Schlitz.

Urbanized
01-27-2015, 08:00 AM
I think Jeep was talking about generic. Schlitz was actually a substantial step up from that stuff. BTW, you can still find Schlitz at McNellie's and probably a few other places. I drank one a few years ago for giggles...mistake.

trousers
01-27-2015, 10:53 AM
I think Schlitz it hoping to make a comeback based on the hipster love of nostalgia and irony. Problem is its just terrible.

Anyone here ever drink Gluek? Hands down the worst beer I've ever had. It was actually gritty. We used to joke that it was spilled at the Old Milwaukee factory, mopped off the floor and put in a can.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2015, 12:13 PM
If I'm really pressed for a quick, cheap smoke I will go with either a Dutch Masters President or a Garcia y Vega English Corona. HOWEVER, my tastes have been greatly influenced by the cigars I've been getting from C.I. Okay . . . Here's a question for you who are far mare experienced than I: A twenty cigar order lasts me about 20 days (mol). Still, I'm thinking about rigging up some sort of humidor to hit that magic 70% humidity. Is it better to take the cigars out of the cellophane wrappers in which they arrive when placing them under humidification or not. Remember, this is not long-term storage or aging we are talking about here. Just getting the cigar to it's peak of flavor.

kelroy55
01-27-2015, 12:18 PM
If I'm really pressed for a quick, cheap smoke I will go with either a Dutch Masters President or a Garcia y Vega English Corona. HOWEVER, my tastes have been greatly influenced by the cigars I've been getting from C.I. Okay . . . Here's a question for you who are far mare experienced than I: A twenty cigar order lasts me about 20 days (mol). Still, I'm thinking about rigging up some sort of humidor to hit that magic 70% humidity. Is it better to take the cigars out of the cellophane wrappers in which they arrive when placing them under humidification or not. Remember, this is not long-term storage or aging we are talking about here. Just getting the cigar to it's peak of flavor.

I've always left them in the wrapper but that's a good question.

jerrywall
01-27-2015, 12:19 PM
I think Jeep was talking about generic. Schlitz was actually a substantial step up from that stuff. BTW, you can still find Schlitz at McNellie's and probably a few other places. I drank one a few years ago for giggles...mistake.

I actually like Schlitz. Especially since PBR reformulated it back to the original in 2009.

kelroy55
01-27-2015, 12:35 PM
I actually like Schlitz. Especially since PBR reformulated it back to the original in 2009.

That explains a lot LOL j/k

I remember all my dad drank was Falstaff.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Back when my compadres were drinking that swill from Golden, Colorado, I was a Schlitz man. Well, more accurately a Schlitz kid. Today, I'm an Uroborous Dude. Give me a Urobourous and, say, a La Aurora Corojo Robusto and I'm a happy camper. A little bump of brandy don't hurt.

Zuplar
01-27-2015, 01:12 PM

I've always left them in the wrapper but that's a good question.

If placing in a humidor take them out of the wrappers. The wrappers are meant to keep them as 'humid' as possible but really are only meant for temporary storage. I usually take all mine out and save a couple, that way I can put them back in a wrapper if I'm taking on a long trip. I really need to invest in a portable humidor, like a herf-a-dor or something.

trousers
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Back when my compadres were drinking that swill from Golden, Colorado, I was a Schlitz man. Well, more accurately a Schlitz kid. Today, I'm an Uroborous Dude. Give me a Urobourous and, say, a La Aurora Corojo Robusto and I'm a happy camper. A little bump of brandy don't hurt.
If you like the Uroborous, try Sante Fe Brewings Imperial Java Stout. It's good stuff.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2015, 11:14 PM
If you like the Uroborous, try Sante Fe Brewings Imperial Java Stout. It's good stuff.

Thanks for the tip, amigo. A couple of days ago, I had a brief chat--in real life--with a local doctor who specializes in repairing sports injuries and is a big fan of cigars. I ran the cellophane vs no cellophane vis-a-vis the humidor storage question by him on account of I figured he had the definitive answer. He said, "Yes and No" (and went on to explain why). I took his advice. I am now preparing to do the "Salt Test" to determine the accuracy of my brand-new (cheap) hygrometer. Please be advised that the doctor didn't make any recommendations about not smoking cigars, nor the relative value of humidors. =) The best part of all this, at least to me, is that some topics transcend politics . . . and get right down to bad as compared to good habits. I like a good cigar at a fair price. Remembering always: Moderation in All Things.

TheTravellers
01-28-2015, 12:41 PM

I'll second this, with a caveat - there appears to be enough java to affect sleep if you have 2-3 cans of it... Still damn good, I just don't drink it on a weeknight...

RadicalModerate
01-28-2015, 10:20 PM
I'll second this, with a caveat - there appears to be enough java to affect sleep if you have 2-3 cans of it... Still damn good, I just don't drink it on a weeknight...

I think a nice cigar with a . . . Corojo(!) wrapper would provide the perfect balance of taste and other stuff. When paired with the beverage mentioned, above. My hygrometer seems to be calibrated. Whew. For a minute I was worried and/or stressed. =-) I think the guy who said "Caveats be dammed, full speed ahead" was probably smoking a cigar.