View Full Version : Humans vs. Monarch Butterflies

TheTravellers
01-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Not surprised that butterflies are losing...

40 Years Ago the World 'Discovered' Mexico's Monarch Habitat -- Today Its Survival Is at Stake | Homero Aridjis (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/homero-aridjis/mexico-monarch-survival_b_6501656.html)

"In 1996, the butterfly population in the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve was estimated at one billion, occupying 21 hectares of forest.

The 2013-2014 population plummeted to 33 million, covering 0.67 hectares, the lowest ever in the 20 years since measuring and counting began.

The main culprit for this precipitous decline is no longer logging in the reserve (although that still takes place) but the huge increase in land planted with genetically modified, herbicide resistant soybean and corn crops (93 percent of total soybean acreage and 85 percent of corn acreage in 2013) in the U.S. Corn Belt. Relentless spraying of glyphosate herbicides on the fields has destroyed the once abundant milkweed, the only plants that monarch caterpillars can eat. The monarch butterfly is literally being starved to death."

kevinpate
01-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Is that a bit like yes, they are pretty, but otherwise are functionally obsolete?

Sad though. They are beautiful creatures.

venture
01-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Definitely sad how big of a hit the population has taken. When I lived back north I always made an effort to leave the milkweed alone when it would start growing. My recent visits up there have shown it is no where in abundance that is use to be - like the article pointed out.

TheTravellers
01-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Is that a bit like yes, they are pretty, but otherwise are functionally obsolete?

Sad though. They are beautiful creatures.

Anything that doesn't make money for someone is yes, probably functionally obsolete, in this brave new world of ours...

bchris02
01-20-2015, 07:15 PM
I wonder what its going to take before the EPA considers banning Monsanto's Roundup and Roundup ready crops. Monsanto is single-handedly destroying our planet.

TheTravellers
01-21-2015, 02:41 PM
I wonder what its going to take before the EPA considers banning Monsanto's Roundup and Roundup ready crops. Monsanto is single-handedly destroying our planet.

Sadly, the EPA will probably never do anything about it, because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Monsanto and their lobbying efforts, as well as being incredibly entrenched as the status quo).

TheTravellers
02-09-2015, 07:31 PM
EPA didn't do anything, but Fish & Wildlife did, it's a start...

Government Pledges Millions To Save Monarch Butterfly (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/09/monarch-habitat-fish-and-wildlife_n_6648022.html)

betts
02-09-2015, 08:02 PM
We are probably functionally obsolete as well. Chicago is planting all their medians with milkweed. Oklahoma should consider doing the same. I stopped using Roundup and any insecticides years ago. I get a few holes in my plants, but most of them are created by butterfly caterpillars. And I don't have to worry that I am killing butterflies or bees ( which are far from functionally obsolete).