View Full Version : Do you go to the movies? Is it too expensive?

GoOKC1991
01-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Movies: U.S. Moviegoers Think Ticket Prices Are Too High (http://time.com/3666765/movie-theaters-ticket-prices-box-office-revenue-summer/)

I still go, but usually matinee's, not as expensive and not as many people, especially teenagers.

AP
01-15-2015, 11:36 AM
I go to the movies frequently, as Harkins is a few blocks from my place. I do prefer matinees because they are a bit cheaper but the price doesn't keep me from attending at night.

Pete
01-15-2015, 11:36 AM
I've always been an avid movie fan but I go less than I used to, and cost is certainly a factor.

I already pay for cable and Netflix and with my TiVo, I can record and keep movies very easily.

As an example, I had wanted to see Grand Budapest Hotel (big Wes Anderson fan) but never got around to it, then last weekend my cable company (FIOS) had a free HBO preview, so I snagged it and now have it forever.

I love the free premium channel previews because I'll go through and record about 20 movies during that window.

I still love going to the movies but with the cost and all the different delivery mechanism, I definitely go less now than just a couple of years ago.

kelroy55
01-15-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm patient and can wait, that way I can watch them them on my big screen and surround sound. Plus I can pause when I want to and make my own $5 popcorn.

Pete
01-15-2015, 11:47 AM
^

That's a good point. Now that so many people have big-screen TV's and home theater systems (I do!) the gap between the theater and home viewing experience is narrowing.

GoOKC1991
01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
I try to avoid buying food or drinks at the movies at all costs, WAY too expensive

bchris02
01-15-2015, 12:18 PM
I don't see how people could complain in OKC. You can do a matinee at Cinemark for $4. Of course if you want popcorn you have to pay for that. If you want a premium experience like the Warren, expect to pay more.

TheTravellers
01-15-2015, 12:28 PM
We don't go much, only to something that should be seen on the big screen (Great Gatsby 3D version) usually. We don't watch the big blockbusters (don't believe we've seen *any* of the comic-book movies that have been so epidemic these past few years), and we get tired of all the cell phones, talking, people bringing their own refreshments in super-loud bags, seat-kicking...... No, not all of those happen all the time, but unless it's something truly awesome, it's not worth all the hassles to go. It's usually not about the price, though, since we only go infrequently (last 2 movies we saw in the theater were Rudderless and Great Gatsby, I believe).

elitespy
01-15-2015, 01:29 PM
We don't go much, only to something that should be seen on the big screen (Great Gatsby 3D version) usually. We don't watch the big blockbusters (don't believe we've seen *any* of the comic-book movies that have been so epidemic these past few years), and we get tired of all the cell phones, talking, people bringing their own refreshments in super-loud bags, seat-kicking...... No, not all of those happen all the time, but unless it's something truly awesome, it's not worth all the hassles to go. It's usually not about the price, though, since we only go infrequently (last 2 movies we saw in the theater were Rudderless and Great Gatsby, I believe).

You say epidemic like it's a bad thing.

RadicalModerate
01-15-2015, 01:46 PM
I think the last film we saw in a theater was "Lincoln" (it was worth it, btw). I did, however, just watch two films on Netflix that I was considering going to see in a theater ("Get Low" and "Nebraska").

kelroy55
01-15-2015, 02:07 PM
There are some movies I will go to the theater for. I saw Gravity in 3D at the Imax and that was really cool, even more so since you could get beer in there :)

Roger S
01-15-2015, 02:15 PM
If I want to see it in 3D I go to the theatre.... Otherwise I can wait.

tfvc.org
01-15-2015, 03:19 PM
I go maybe once or twice a year. Too expensive especially after drinks and popcorn. I usually Netflix, Hulu, or torrent it.

TheTravellers
01-15-2015, 03:20 PM
You say epidemic like it's a bad thing.

Ha, um, well....

elitespy
01-15-2015, 03:57 PM
I don't own a TV and only pay for NetFlix so I'm still a solid theater consumer. Plus, they are just great excuses to get out in the evening that's not a bar. Yes, there are other options but the theater remains an entertaining one.

Wha?! There is never a reason to not be at Skinny Slims.

kevinpate
01-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Last time to a theater was a while back. MIB3 was at a dobber theater, now closed for quite a spell, and I stuck around to see Abe Lincoln Vampire Killer while my lovely went shopping. What can I say. I likes me some mindless entertainment way way more than I likes to try to keep up with her when she is engaged in a full on shopping mission.

We DVR many things and watch at home. If one of the children or her father needs us, we pause the DVR and the cell usage doesn't turn us into one of those rude cell nutsos we are not fond of out in public.

Besides, the older I get, the more I appreciate napping. Better to be in my favorite chair at home and restarting the movie later then to endure being poked for starting to snore in a theater seat. Have to admit though, I am somewhat interested in checking out a director suite or the balcony at Warren since these are age limited.

tfvc.org
01-15-2015, 04:02 PM
I don't have cable or satellite and my TV is 10 years old.

Just the facts
01-15-2015, 04:03 PM
I took the advice of someone from my "Need Your Prayers" thread and I now go the movies all the time. It is a lot cheaper when you are only paying for 1. I recently bought a package deal at one of my local theaters which allows me unlimited access for $25/mo - plus a whole host of other benefits.

SoonerDave
01-15-2015, 05:24 PM
We would love to go to the movies more often, but don't for two reasons:

1. Lack of compelling content
2. Price.

1. My wife and I are pretty conservative moviegoers compared to most, and as a result we're probably not a good bellwether for content. But we just don't go in for anything that's heavy or preoccupied with the slasher/gore/dark/goth/vampire/sex stuff that's more popular with the younger crowd. Anything we know up front will contain 90 minutes of intense profanity or nudity is almost certainly off the list. I don't unilaterally preclude R rated movies, but I'd best have a pretty good understanding of context for the content - and "Shawshank Redemption" is a great example of a movie with a lot of the language and violence, but it's entirely sensible within the context of the movie. And "Shawshank" is a *great* movie. Another movie that used to be a favorite, but has since gone to the back of the drawer for me is a legal movie called "Presumed Innocent," with Harrison Ford and Bonnie Bedelia. An outstanding legal movie, but it is laced with intense profanity from start to finish and includes an explicit sex scene I find distasteful and gratuitous. And that's an opinion I've formed years down the road, too.

2. Price. If we go, we want the prime experience, and that means the Warren. And I don't mind paying the price. Assuming we found movies we like, though, we couldn't go very often - esp as a family of 4 - that's *at least $40* not counting popcorn at the theater OR dinner before or after. Tis what it tis. Date nights, however, can be come an exception where cost is less a factor.

Just my $0.02.

Stew
01-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Price doesn't play into it as much as the fact I have the attention span of a gnat. I do get dragged to the movies more than I like and for the most part it's an excruciating experience except of course for Tom Cruise movies which are pure gold.

Mel
01-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Doesn't any one else's wife have a movie purse?

Richard at Remax
01-15-2015, 08:11 PM
It's not even prices that limit my movie going, it's the lack of courtesy from other people in the theater who yap and text

kelroy55
01-16-2015, 07:40 AM
I took the advice of someone from my "Need Your Prayers" thread and I now go the movies all the time. It is a lot cheaper when you are only paying for 1. I recently bought a package deal at one of my local theaters which allows me unlimited access for $25/mo - plus a whole host of other benefits.

I didn't know they had such things. Is it good anytime or just afternoon showings?

Just the facts
01-16-2015, 08:13 AM
It's not even prices that limit my movie going, it's the lack of courtesy from other people in the theater who yap and text

I have grown so tired of people on their cell phones that I have started yelling at them during the movie to turn their phones off. Well, not so much yelling as telling them directly to their face in a very stern manner with a crazed look in my eyes. I doubt the 3 people I have done this too recently will ever do it again because it scared the **** out of them. All 3 exited the theater the second the movie was over and never made eye contact on their way out, and their spouses were less than impressed with their behavior.

Just the facts
01-16-2015, 08:22 AM
I took the advice of someone from my "Need Your Prayers" thread and I now go the movies all the time. It is a lot cheaper when you are only paying for 1. I recently bought a package deal at one of my local theaters which allows me unlimited access for $25/mo - plus a whole host of other benefits.I didn't know they had such things. Is it good anytime or just afternoon showings?

We have a place here called Latitude 360 which has a Cinegrille. I can go anytime I want, to any movie, and bring 5 more people with me for free. The only requirement is that if I want to make sure they have room I need to call ahead and reserve the number of seats I need, and I have a special number to call to do it. Of course, I can also just show up and hope they have space available. The movies are not new releases but are very recent releases, however if I haven't seen them yet, they are new to me. Right now The Box Trolls and The Interview are playing.

For $25 a month I get unlimited movies for 6 people, 1 hour of bowling for 6 people (including shoe rental), $25 game card for the arcade, and 2 tickets to the Comedy Club. I have become the social director for my small circle of friends.

Dining and Family Entertainment - Latitude 360 Jacksonville, FL (http://latitude360.com/jacksonville-fl/)

stick47
01-16-2015, 08:26 AM
No

kevinpate
01-16-2015, 08:33 AM
JTF, your Latitude 360 place sounds like an awesome bargain on more than one front. If there is something that approximates it here in OK, I haven't heard of it

Just the facts
01-16-2015, 08:44 AM
JTF, your Latitude 360 place sounds like an awesome bargain on more than one front. If there is something that approximates it here in OK, I haven't heard of it

I wish I had taken advantage of this plan long ago but I am going to keep doing it. Many people here know my situation and this provides me a very cost-effective means of entertainment that the kids and I (and recently a certain other person) can partake in. I don't know any place like it OKC.

On a slightly different take of the topic, this thread is of special interest to me because I have always wanted to own a single screen theater and on Monday I am going to look at one. I really think the age of the megaplex is coming to an end for many of the reason cited on this thread. Megaplex attendance surely seems to indicate it is coming to an end.

kelroy55
01-16-2015, 09:12 AM
We have a place here called Latitude 360 which has a Cinegrille. I can go anytime I want, to any movie, and bring 5 more people with me for free. The only requirement is that if I want to make sure they have room I need to call ahead and reserve the number of seats I need, and I have a special number to call to do it. Of course, I can also just show up and hope they have space available. The movies are not new releases but are very recent releases, however if I haven't seen them yet, they are new to me. Right now The Box Trolls and The Interview are playing.

For $25 a month I get unlimited movies for 6 people, 1 hour of bowling for 6 people (including shoe rental), $25 game card for the arcade, and 2 tickets to the Comedy Club. I have become the social director for my small circle of friends.

Dining and Family Entertainment - Latitude 360 Jacksonville, FL (http://latitude360.com/jacksonville-fl/)

That's a pretty cool thing. I remember when I lived in Chattanooga they had a dollar theater on Saturday afternoons.

turnpup
01-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Today I took my little girl to see Paddington (at Quail Springs, as it was the only one with a time that would work for us), as a reward for good behavior. I hadn't been to the movies in quite some time...maybe 5 years or so. Maybe more. We have all the Cox, Apple TV and Roku bells and whistles (because of my husband, not me), and there's not much we can't get at home on our big screen.

The tickets to the 4:00 showing were $10-something for me and $7-something for my 8-year old. I bought them online and paid a $2 service fee, bringing the total to over $19. By the way, that was a bust. It might be a good idea for a heavily-demanded movie during a premium time, but it would've worked just as well getting the tickets at the box office. The line wasn't long when we got there just before 4:00, and when we tried to show the text message receipt for our tickets, there wasn't anyone manning the desk (a separate area from the box office...no signage either...we had to ask the ticket-taker what to do). It took several minutes for the ticket-taker to get someone to come help us. When the lady got there, she had to manually key in the confirmation number while looking at my phone as I held it up. Very old-type technology, in my opinion. I guess I just figured that the ticket-taker himself would have a scanner or something.

Anyway, we decided to get a popcorn and diet soda to share. A large popcorn and a large diet soda set us back another $14. Yikes!

So we spent almost $35 in that little period of time. It seems a tad excessive, especially the cost of the (not so great) popcorn and soda. But the good news is that my little girl was absolutely thrilled to be getting to go see a movie with her mommy in a theater. We're already planning to see a couple more that look interesting from the previews. So while I probably wouldn't make a habit of going to the theater for myself these days, I'll more than likely pay a premium to see that beaming smile again from my only child. :) Sometimes it's worth wasting a little bit.

Prunepicker
01-16-2015, 08:11 PM
I no longer go to movies. I believe the last one I attended was about 20 years ago.
The movie was 'Mr. Hollands Opus. I walked out on it. Although I like Richard
Dreyfus I thought it was a terrible movie.

OKCisOK4me
01-16-2015, 09:21 PM
I go to the movies if it's something that requires a massive screen size to take it all in... like Interstellar. That was awesome!

Just the facts
01-17-2015, 10:06 PM
That's a pretty cool thing. I remember when I lived in Chattanooga they had a dollar theater on Saturday afternoons.

This isn't a dollar movie theater though. Regular price is $9 per person. Every seat is a recliner with at-seat full service food and beverage and also a subwoofer in it so when something makes a thud on screen you feel it.

MsProudSooner
01-20-2015, 02:14 PM
I used to religiously check the new movie listings on Friday and go to the movies 2 or 3 times a month. These days, I go once every 2 or 3 months. There are several reasons:

1. Cost of the movie and the concession stand prices.
2. The theater closest to me has remodeled their concession area. Now, you stand in one line to get your popcorn and an empty cup. Then, you stand in another line to fill your empty cup with an outrageously expensive soft drink.
3. The same theater recently remodeled the theaters and have nice leather recliners. However, they also went to a system of reserved seating, which I don't particularly like. If i can get there early enough to get a good seat, so can you.

#2 and #3 put me in a bad mood before the Coming Attractions are over!

Huskie61
01-20-2015, 05:05 PM
I go when there is a worthwhile movie, the last movie I watched was "Unbroken."

mugofbeer
01-20-2015, 07:02 PM
We go once in a while but always go to matinees or when we can use a coupon. We also have learned to take drinks and an extra bag for popcorn and get the "free" refill. Now, i'll be taking anything Seth Rogen does off that list.

BBatesokc
01-21-2015, 05:23 AM
We go to movies, just not very often for one simple reason.... There is ALWAYs one or more people who either talk the entire time or use their cell phone.

To me the cost isn't a big deal because we usually always go early in the day (to avoid the reasons stated above). But now we only go if others insist or its one of those rare movies that 'must' be seen in the theater.

The wife also has her 'movie purse' that has proven to hold two sodas/water and assorted candies/snacks!

We have several large TV's in our house, but several years ago we invested in an outdoor theater and think its the best investment we've ever done. Its a great excuse to be outside, invite friends and family over and have a really good time on the cheap. Plus, at the time, my elderly step dad really couldn't get to the theater very easily but loved movies.

Bought a huge outdoor movie screen and projector. We often set it up on a Friday and watch rented movies, Netflix, or cable TV Friday, Sat. and Sun night. Works great with the Playstation too!

You can actually put together this same (similar) setup for $400-$1,200 depending on the equipment.

We've actually packed it up and taken it to friends and even set it up a couple of times on the roof public space at the 444 North Central Ave. Condos.

This is ours from last summer.