View Full Version : Cayenne Peppers

ctchandler
01-14-2015, 08:20 PM
I have a good recipe that I make several times a year and it calls for a cayenne pepper. Does anyone know where I can buy them? I have used ground cayenne pepper from the spice section for years but it would be nice to try the fresh pepper.
Thanks,
C. T.

Paseofreak
01-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Buy for Less @ NW 23rd and Penn or most of the smaller markets around the Farmers Market and probably Sprouts and Whole Foods.

ctchandler
01-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Buy for Less @ NW 23rd and Penn or most of the smaller markets around the Farmers Market and probably Sprouts and Whole Foods.

Paseofreak,
Thanks, I checked Sprouts and they don't have them, I also went to Buy for Less on Hefner, but I will have to check the one at 23rd and Penn. I knew they had a lot of things in their produce section. I didn't see them at Whole Foods either, but maybe they are seasonal and I didn't look at the right time. Good ideas though, tomorrow I will go to 23rd. Another excellent produce section and they cater to the Hispanics is a Buy for Less on Southwest 36th and Western and I have been there several times, but I didn't think to look for cayenne peppers when I was there. It's a long way from home for me.
C. T.

Paseofreak
01-15-2015, 12:09 AM
If none of that works out, go to El Asadero on the SW corner of SW26 and Western and ask them. Eat there if you can (used to be The Country Gal) it's unbelievable. They are the sweetest people. They will tell you where an when, if they don't load you up with Cayennes.

ctchandler
01-15-2015, 04:03 PM
If none of that works out, go to El Asadero on the SW corner of SW26 and Western and ask them. Eat there if you can (used to be The Country Gal) it's unbelievable. They are the sweetest people. They will tell you where an when, if they don't load you up with Cayennes.

Paseofreak,
They didn't have them and didn't know where I could get them. They were very nice, I will go there to eat one of these days. My late wife and I ate there a few years ago and it was very good. Also, the Buy for Less at 23rd didn't have them and neither did the Buy for Less "Mercado" on Southwest 36th and Western. I'm afraid that cayenne peppers aren't commonly used in Hispanic cooking. So, I will find a site that will tell me how much cayenne pepper (the spice) is equivalent to one cayenne pepper. I have a couple more places I want to look but it's too late for this time, I'm starting the preparation tonight. If I ever find them, I will buy quite a few and freeze them.
C. T.

Paseofreak
01-15-2015, 04:28 PM
C.T., sorry for the goose chase. Perhaps it's that they are out of season. I know I've seen them fresh in the produce section of 23rd Street BFL and at a couple of the Farmers Market stalls, but it wasn't January. Very best of luck with your recipe!

ctchandler
01-15-2015, 05:23 PM
C.T., sorry for the goose chase. Perhaps it's that they are out of season. I know I've seen them fresh in the produce section of 23rd Street BFL and at a couple of the Farmers Market stalls, but it wasn't January. Very best of luck with your recipe!

Paseofreak,
I forgot to mention that I thought they might be "out of season", but I think you are right. I'm not a good cook and I don't like cooking but living alone I have to (I don't eat out alone). I have about four recipes that I can handle and the recipe that I have for chili is excellent, I just thought that fresh cayenne peppers (which is what it calls for) would be a nice change. I did buy some Thai chilis today and I took a bite of one when I got home. Wow, what a mistake. Good taste, but hotter than hades. This from a guy that eats jalapenos like candy. I think I will use them in my chili instead of ground cayenne pepper. Definitely enough heat but I'm not sure about the flavor. I guess I will find out.
Thanks for the help,
C. T.

tfvc.org
01-15-2015, 08:12 PM
You can probably use thai peppers or any small red peppers for cayanne. I found this thread which will probably explain why you can't find them CT.

I Cannot find Fresh Cayenne Peppers Anywhere.... at Dr. Schulze Support Forum, topic 1064498 (http://www.curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1064498)

Cayenne is a somewhat generic name for any hot pepper that contains Capsicum. Capsicum is part of the botanical name used for formal classification of plants, in this instance, pepper plants. So in a way, Capsicum is part of the official name for a broad family of peppers, Cayenne is sort of a nickname that speaks to the same broad family and this nicknaming convention is a characteristic that speaks to a time long ago when herbs in general were more widely used by people, and differenet locales of people tended to develop their own nickname for the same herb.

ctchandler
01-16-2015, 01:22 PM
You can probably use thai peppers or any small red peppers for cayanne. I found this thread which will probably explain why you can't find them CT.

I Cannot find Fresh Cayenne Peppers Anywhere.... at Dr. Schulze Support Forum, topic 1064498 (http://www.curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1064498)

Eatokc,
I found the following on Wikipedia's site.
C. T.

Thai peppers, a cayenne type pepper

kevinpate
01-17-2015, 10:55 AM
... I don't like cooking but living alone I have to (I don't eat out alone). I have about four recipes that I can handle and the recipe that I have for chili is excellent, I just thought that fresh cayenne peppers (which is what it calls for) would be a nice change. ...

C.T.,
Here are some ideas for cooking for one to perhaps get you from 4 dishes to a few more in your rotation.
Dinner for One Recipes - Easy Recipes Cooking for One - Delish.com (http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/dinner-for-one#slide-1)

I'm more of a throw some things together and see how it works fella myself.

ctchandler
01-17-2015, 12:28 PM
C.T.,
Here are some ideas for cooking for one to perhaps get you from 4 dishes to a few more in your rotation.
Dinner for One Recipes - Easy Recipes Cooking for One - Delish.com (http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/dinner-for-one#slide-1)

I'm more of a throw some things together and see how it works fella myself.

Kevin,
I'm a "by the book" fella and even then, I'm not very good. I do ad-lib on some things but I'm not very creative. I do however make a great pizza from Papa Murphy's. I have them put on the things that I don't want to mess with (five pies a trip because they are all so far away from my home), freeze them and when I make one I add sliced jalapenos, chopped habaneros (sparingly of course), and grilled then sliced hot (actually it's just spicy, not very hot) Italian sausage and then I bake it. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
C. T.

Mel
01-17-2015, 02:21 PM
ctc, you are quite the pepperhead! I can't do food as hot as I use to and Momma can't do hardly any spiciness due to medical problems. This store, Super Cao Nguyen Market :: Home Page (http://www.caonguyen.com/) has a nice assortment of peppers. great cooking oils too, cheapest price I have found for grape seed oil.

tfvc.org
01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
ctc, you are quite the pepperhead! I can't do food as hot as I use to and Momma can't do hardly any spiciness due to medical problems. This store, Super Cao Nguyen Market :: Home Page (http://www.caonguyen.com/) has a nice assortment of peppers. great cooking oils too, cheapest price I have found for grape seed oil.
CT if you make it into SCN go to the international isle and look for Matook's Calypso Sauce. It is spicy and flavorful. Good on sandwiches.

http://www.carolinasauces.com//v/vspfiles/photos/1232-2T.jpg

ctchandler
01-17-2015, 03:46 PM

Mel,
Yes, I've been to Super Cao Nyguyen quite a few times. I went to the original small store that was just a little West of the current one. It's a good place.
C. T.

ctchandler
01-17-2015, 03:52 PM
CT if you make it into SCN go to the international isle and look for Matook's Calypso Sauce. It is spicy and flavorful. Good on sandwiches.

Eatokc,
Thanks for the tip, sounds good and I will definitely give it a try. On sandwiches? You mean like mayonnaise or mustard? Or just an added attraction for a sandwich?
C. T.

oklip955
01-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Have you tried the made up meals at Sprouts and hum Sam's club? Just an idea to give a bit of variety. They are just something to heat and eat.

tfvc.org
01-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Eatokc,
Thanks for the tip, sounds good and I will definitely give it a try. On sandwiches? You mean like mayonnaise or mustard? Or just an added attraction for a sandwich?
C. T.

I usually put it on in place of mayo or mustard since I don't like them. Taste it first before you put it on, a little goes a long way. It packs a punch. There is a place in St Pete that sells Caribbean / Cuban type of foods and sandwiches and they have bottles of calypso sauce on the tables for people to put on their food. You can either dip or put on directly.

ctchandler
01-18-2015, 11:24 AM
I usually put it on in place of mayo or mustard since I don't like them. Taste it first before you put it on, a little goes a long way. It packs a punch. There is a place in St Pete that sells Caribbean / Cuban type of foods and sandwiches and they have bottles of calypso sauce on the tables for people to put on their food. You can either dip or put on directly.

Eatokc,
Wow! Another person in this world that doesn't eat mustard or mayonnaise, I thought I was the only one. I have wild stories about ordering my loaded cheese burger or deli sandwiches "dry" and sometimes they understand, other times... not so much. I recently ordered a sandwich at McAllister's with Swiss cheese and dry. They brought a sandwich with meat and bread, no Swiss cheese. I questioned the idiot behind the counter and he said when I said dry, he assumed I didn't want cheese! I specifically asked for Swiss cheese but when I said dry, it cancelled out my request. Actually, I don't like mustard and mayonnaise bothers my stomach. One of the few things that does. I like heat but I'm always careful and I try a little before going crazy with something new. I knew the Thai peppers were hot but I hadn't had them in quite a while and I took a bite of one of those, and as I mentioned above, it was pretty hot. I use chop two habaneros and spread half on each bun when I make my hamburgers. They are really hot, but I use them sparingly on burgers and pizzas.
C. T.

ctchandler
01-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Have you tried the made up meals at Sprouts and hum Sam's club? Just an idea to give a bit of variety. They are just something to heat and eat.

Oklip,
I have eaten a few of the meals at Sam's, I particularly like the chicken parmesan. They also have an item (not a Sam's freshly prepared meal) that I really enjoy, it's seafood lasagna. It has shrimp, crab, and lobster meat. I haven't tried any made up meals anywhere else. Uptown Grocery in Edmond has them as well. I will have to give both of them a try. I do buy things prepared locally at a place in Edmond called SupperThyme and a place on Wilshire called What's Cooking. Both of them sell items for one.
C. T.

oklip955
01-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Another thought, you can buy a large piece of meat, cook it up, then up it up and package it and freeze. You can do this with like a pork loin, chicken, and beef roast or ground beef. Then through out the month take out a package of basic meat and add it to something else. Make chicken tacos, chicken and noddles. Meat is done, so its easier to throw something together in the evening. Basically you take one day and cook the meat, the other nights you can quickly throw something together and be a bit creative.

ctchandler
01-20-2015, 10:43 AM

http://www.carolinasauces.com//v/vspfiles/photos/1232-2T.jpg

Eatokc,
I went there yesterday and they were out of the Calypso Sauce. They had a spot for it, but another type of Matouk's sauces was in it's place. They sell about four different Matouk's. Oh well, maybe they will have it next time I'm in their neighborhood.
C. T.

ctchandler
01-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Another thought, you can buy a large piece of meat, cook it up, then up it up and package it and freeze. You can do this with like a pork loin, chicken, and beef roast or ground beef. Then through out the month take out a package of basic meat and add it to something else. Make chicken tacos, chicken and noddles. Meat is done, so its easier to throw something together in the evening. Basically you take one day and cook the meat, the other nights you can quickly throw something together and be a bit creative.

Oklip,
I do a little freezing, I have some ham shanks, I just finished making my chili recipe that's enough for an army and most of it is in the freezer. I've done other things that way as well. red beans and rice without the rice of course (another huge recipe). I wish I could freeze rice, I make really good shrimp fried rice but end up eating it for a week or I will have to throw some away. I have frozen some Yorkshire puddings and that works really well.
C. T.

tfvc.org
01-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Eatokc,
I went there yesterday and they were out of the Calypso Sauce. They had a spot for it, but another type of Matouk's sauces was in it's place. They sell about four different Matouk's. Oh well, maybe they will have it next time I'm in their neighborhood.
C. T.

That sucks. It is good stuff. I am in there once or twice a month, will let you know if they restock. Today in the Wally World at Bell Isle I saw a couple different seed packets of cayenne peppers if you are willing to grow them.

ctchandler
01-23-2015, 08:37 PM
That sucks. It is good stuff. I am in there once or twice a month, will let you know if they restock. Today in the Wally World at Bell Isle I saw a couple different seed packets of cayenne peppers if you are willing to grow them.

Eatokc,
Willing, but not physically able. And besides, I'm moving to an independent living center (old folks home) and it won't be possible. I will watch for your post or private email about the Calypso sauce.
C. T.

oklip955
01-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Later in the season you can find plants. You can grew one as a house plant. You can do the same with tomatoes. I had one for over two years and picked a handful of cherry tomatoes everyday off of it. I left on vacation and the person who was watering my house plants decided that she did not need to water it and it died with not water for two weeks.

Jeepnokc
01-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Eatokc,
C. T.

Good to know they sell this locally. We go to BVI about once a year and we always have to bring back 5-6 bottles of this as my wife loves it. For me, a little goes a long ways

tfvc.org
10-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Eatokc,
C. T.

I was just there today. They are fully stocked on Matouk's sauces, including the calypso sauce. (minus one which I bought.) :)

ctchandler
10-26-2015, 03:18 PM
I was just there today. They are fully stocked on Matouk's sauces, including the calypso sauce. (minus one which I bought.) :)

Tvfc,
What do they say? No Joy! I went this morning and there was one bottle left and it wasn't Calypso. I checked with the manager and he said they were out of Matouk sauces except for the one bottle.
C. T.