View Full Version : Tulsa C-Store clerk shoots and kills armed robbers!

BBatesokc
01-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Hell yeah!

Oklahoma gas station clerk shoots, kills alleged armed robbery suspects (http://kfor.com/2015/01/14/oklahoma-gas-station-clerk-shoots-kills-alleged-armed-robbery-suspects/)

TULSA, Okla. – An attempted armed robbery at a Tulsa convenience store ended when the clerk shot the suspects.

According to KJRH, three men entered a convenience store in Tulsa with masks and guns.

Police say the clerk then grabbed a semi-automatic pistol and shot two of the three suspects.

27-year-old Brian Powell died at the scene. Another suspect, 16-year-old Kevin Dobbs, died hours later after he was transported to the hospital.

KJRH says another suspect, 20-year-old Lakeit Thompson, drove off with a fourth suspect in the get-away vehicle.

Thompson was later arrested.

He is facing multiple charges, including attempted robbery, robbery and murder because the deaths occurred during the commission of a felony.

Snowman
01-14-2015, 05:10 PM
It seems bizarre most media's need to throw in semi-automatic as a description, when the vast majority of pistols have been semi-automatic for around a hundred years and fully automatic pistols more heavily restricted and more costly so pretty rare.

Easy180
01-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Pros of armed robbery of convenience stores

1 - Possibility of nabbing $150-$250

Cons of armed robbery of convenience stores

1 - Possibility of death
2 - Possibility of prison time

Should be a easy decision

rezman
01-14-2015, 06:33 PM
It seems bizarre most media's need to throw in semi-automatic as a description, when the vast majority of pistols have been semi-automatic for around a hundred years and fully automatic pistols more heavily restricted and more costly so pretty rare.

I've notice that this has been emphasized in news reports for years when refering to a shooting. As if it carries more importance, or the crook would be less dead if shot by a plain old 6 shooter.

Here Here to the store clerk for taking care of bidness.

Achilleslastand
01-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Brian Powell and Kevin Dobbs are the winner/s of this months Darwin award. Repeat offenders they will never be..........

kelroy55
01-14-2015, 06:49 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/10898258_423071097850385_2915763315943902410_n.jpg ?oh=d9d3e227ccf5e47644c79ce65bc49be3&oe=55633A78

jerrywall
01-14-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm happy the clerk is OK. I'm happy the robbery was unsuccessful. I'm not happy people died, even as a realize that it's the expected consequences. I think the only person I ever celebrated dying was Osama Bin Laden.

bradh
01-14-2015, 07:40 PM
16 years old, running with a 27 year old robbing C-stores...geez

kelroy55
01-14-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm happy the clerk is OK. I'm happy the robbery was unsuccessful. I'm not happy people died, even as a realize that it's the expected consequences. I think the only person I ever celebrated dying was Osama Bin Laden.

I feel for the robbers families.

Edmond_Outsider
01-15-2015, 04:48 AM
What is it about violence that makes people feel victory by proxy? That is pretty sick and I'm not immune to it. But I wouldn't wish the clerk's fate on many.

The most likely outcome is the clerk will live with horrendous guilt, social stigma, and more sorrow than anyone should have to.

Its better than dying but probably not better than merely emptying the cash drawer.

ylouder
01-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Really if we were born in a different part of town or to different parents we all could easily be either be the robber or clerk. The clerk will have a large weight to carry the rest of his life.

Like others have said - I feel sorry for the family and feel sorry for the clerk, but can't imagine celebrating another's persons death.

Filthy
01-15-2015, 07:34 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/10898258_423071097850385_2915763315943902410_n.jpg ?oh=d9d3e227ccf5e47644c79ce65bc49be3&oe=55633A78

This is an excellent picture. Straight forward and to the point. Would have been a good one to post in both the Michael Brown, and Eric Garner discussion threads.

ylouder
01-15-2015, 08:02 AM
While i dont disagree that the robbers should of made better choices ,you are trying way to hard to troll by bringing in unrelated issues to this event.

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/019/6/6/they_see_me_trollin___by_stormx6-d5s11i8.jpg

Filthy
01-15-2015, 08:24 AM
While i dont disagree that the robbers should of made better choices ,you are trying way to hard to troll by bringing in unrelated issues to this event.

I wasn't trolling anything. Simply stating, that I enjoyed his inclusion of that picture in the thread, and it would have also been accurate for each of the circumstances above. Nothing more.....Nothing less. Not every comment or post on a message board lends itself to insinuation. Sometimes, the comments are exactly what they are...just comments.

Bill Robertson
01-15-2015, 09:13 AM
What is it about violence that makes people feel victory by proxy? That is pretty sick and I'm not immune to it. But I wouldn't wish the clerk's fate on many.

The most likely outcome is the clerk will live with horrendous guilt, social stigma, and more sorrow than anyone should have to.

Its better than dying but probably not better than merely emptying the cash drawer.For me it's not about victory or celebration. It's about the person being robbed doing what they have to do. Do they have to shoot the robber? In my view, very probably to yes. While the robber might take the money and run. They also might take the money and still kill the clerk. It happens. It doesn't happen as often just taking the money and running but it does happen. The clerk couldn't know if this robbery was the run type or the kill type. If I were in this clerk's position I would do what I need to do for me to have the best chance to wake up tomorrow.

Edmond_Outsider
01-15-2015, 11:20 AM
This thread started out with "Hell yeah!" That's what I was commenting on. This seems a pretty common response when people use firearms in self-defense. It is certainly a common response in social media and in the comments on the news stories about it.

I'm sure the clerk did what he felt he had to do and, from what I can tell, was well within his rights to defend himself.

However, at best, this will be a huge disruption to his/her life as they go through the investigation process. At worst, it will be a what defines the rest of their life and the cause of horrendous problems.

I don't have much sympathy for anybody who commits violent crime. My sympathies are completely with the clerk.

Edmond_Outsider
01-15-2015, 11:46 AM
To illustrate my point that self-defense killing leaves most people damaged permanently, here's a few sources:

JUSTIFIED TO KILL. (http://topics.mlive.com/tag/justifiable-homicide/index.html)

The Psychological Consequences of Killing: Perpetration-Induced Traumatic Stress (http://www.killology.com/print/print_onkilling.htm)
The first is mostly anecdotal but the second is a deep dive into the scholarship of PSD and PTSD.

ylouder
01-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Most people have never been in a real life situation where they have seen or used weapons used on other people. It's not pleasant, and it's even more not pleasant if it's in a place you repeatedly see like your home or job.

With the amount of people in this country already with anxiety and depression issues I've always found it suprising how much the general public loves this Hollywood shoot em up bravado. While so many people who have been in those situations from previous and current wars have serious problems with processing it years after the fact.

adaniel
01-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Glad to see some sense prevail in this thread. Seriously, the lack of humanity in some people is chilling. And I won't even touch the disguisting comments left on the KHJR page.

Taking a life is a MAJOR deal, doesn't matter if it is justified or not. I would know. My grandfather shot and killed a burgalar breaking into their house back in the 70's. It was completely justified, but it haunted him to the core until his death 30 years later. He certainly wasn't going around screaming "Hell yeah!" like some would suggest.

I know that people rarely ever turn to crimes like this just because. Maybe they were just thugs on a power trip. More likely than not, they were probably in a very bad spot financially and thought, stupidly, that this was their only way. Needless to say their very bad lapse in judgement cost them their lives. It's a traedgy on both fronts, absolutely nothing to be celebrated.