View Full Version : At least 12 dead in Islamist terror attack at satirical French publication

Prunepicker
01-08-2015, 08:38 PM
This isn't political so don't go there.

What religion gets this outraged when it's esteemed prophet and example
is teased or written in a cartoon?

We can certainly omit Christianity since Jesus doesn't approve of such actions.

From Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01/07/shooting-reported-at-office-satirical-french-newspaper/)
Black-clad gunmen shouting "Allahu Akbar!" stormed the Paris offices of a
satirical publication known for lampooning Islam Wednesday, killing 12,
including its editor, three political cartoonists and a police officer whose
cold-blooded murder at close range was captured on a disturbing video.

The masked, Kalashnikov-toting shooters moved with military precision,
and then escaped following the 11:30 a.m. attack at Charlie Hebdo, the
publication known for challenging Muslim terrorists with a 2011 caricature
of Prophet Muhammed on its cover and which recently tweeted a cartoon
of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and were being sought.

French police late Wednesday identified the three and said one had been
convicted of terrorism charges in 2008.

Chadanth
01-08-2015, 08:53 PM
This isn't political so don't go there.

What religion gets this outraged when it's esteemed prophet and example
is teased or written in a cartoon?

We can certainly omit Christianity since Jesus doesn't approve of such actions.

From Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01/07/shooting-reported-at-office-satirical-french-newspaper/)
Black-clad gunmen shouting "Allahu Akbar!" stormed the Paris offices of a
satirical publication known for lampooning Islam Wednesday, killing 12,
including its editor, three political cartoonists and a police officer whose
cold-blooded murder at close range was captured on a disturbing video.

The masked, Kalashnikov-toting shooters moved with military precision,
and then escaped following the 11:30 a.m. attack at Charlie Hebdo, the
publication known for challenging Muslim terrorists with a 2011 caricature
of Prophet Muhammed on its cover and which recently tweeted a cartoon
of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, and were being sought.

French police late Wednesday identified the three and said one had been
convicted of terrorism charges in 2008.

Comedy should never be an act of courage.

In fact, one of the policemen that died was muslim, so essentially, he died protecting the rights of others to mock his faith.

Chadanth
01-08-2015, 08:53 PM
And how do you get an AK-47 in Paris????

ljbab728
01-08-2015, 08:56 PM
And how do you get an AK-47 in Paris????

Don't they sell them at Printemps?

sooner88
01-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Looks like they have two of the suspects (the 2 brothers) surrounded in a printing business 8 miles outside CDG who apparently have 1 hostage. They also have the two suspects surrounded at the kosher market who are suspects in the murder of the policewoman yesterday. They have 5 hostages.

Looks like this may culminate soon.

Paris Terror Deepens With Attack at Kosher Store; Hostages Taken - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-09/shots-fired-hostages-taken-in-town-northeast-of-paris.html)

Jersey Boss
01-09-2015, 10:21 AM
3 hostage taking killers were killed in two separate locations. Justice served! Viva la France!!

sooner88
01-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Looks like 4 hostages were killed as well at the kosher market and the female is still alive. We'll see what the actual story is once these news outlets get their reporting straight.

TheTravellers
01-13-2015, 11:52 AM
How the Massive Response to the Charlie Hebdo Attack Will Backfire*|*Jack Miles (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jack-miles/response-charlie-hebdo_b_6458198.html)

Dubya61
01-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Forgive my probably random post on this, but I dislike the "I am Charlie Hedbo" statement / campaign. I understand the "I am Travon Martin" (Michael Brown, etc.) concept (basically a watered down "I am Spartacus" campaign, I believe) and can strongly sympathize with the idea that what happened to these subjects by a state actor or approved of by a state entity shouldn't have happened or seemingly been endorsed, however ...
My truck with the "I am Charlie Hedbo" concept is that it seems to legitimize whatever group took action against Charlie Hedbo as a state entity of some sort.

TheTravellers
01-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Forgive my probably random post on this, but I dislike the "I am Charlie Hedbo" statement / campaign. I understand the "I am Travon Martin" (Michael Brown, etc.) concept (basically a watered down "I am Spartacus" campaign, I believe) and can strongly sympathize with the idea that what happened to these subjects by a state actor or approved of by a state entity shouldn't have happened or seemingly been endorsed, however ...
My truck with the "I am Charlie Hedbo" concept is that it seems to legitimize whatever group took action against Charlie Hedbo as a state entity of some sort.

Yep, that's one of the points of the article I posted. They have been elevated to warriors that we should fight a war against, not common criminals that need to be prosecuted/jailed.

Prunepicker
01-13-2015, 09:38 PM
The usual subjects don't care about the murders committed by
the "religion of peace". They've made it very clear, i.e. jokes, light
hearted remarks, etc...

What's the appeal to a murderous religion?

At any rate, these people are doing what their esteemed prophet and supreme
example would approve of.

ljbab728
01-13-2015, 10:13 PM
The usual subjects don't care about the murders committed by
the "religion of peace". They've made it very clear, i.e. jokes, light
hearted remarks, etc...

What's the appeal to a murderous religion?

At any rate, these people are doing what their esteemed prophet and supreme
example would approve of.
Of course you're totally overlooking that those who were the main object of this atrocity are continuing to fight back with humor.

http://m.newsok.com/defiant-charlie-hebdo-fronts-muhammad-drawing-more-threats/article/feed/783245

It isn't necessary for everyone to only wring their hands, pull their hair, and yell about how horrendous it was. Being able to mock them or be light hearted in the face of that can be fighting back in equal ways. You expect everyone here to totally denounce all Muslims and their religion and that just isn't going to happen. You have covered this ad infinitum in the political threads.

Plutonic Panda
01-14-2015, 02:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvOAG6OwaRY

Jersey Boss
01-14-2015, 10:49 AM
I think this individual could claim the religion he was interpreting was not the same as the one interpreted by the attackers.

Ahmed Merabet, Muslim Police Officer Killed In Charlie Hebdo Attack, Laid To Rest (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/13/ahmed-merabet-funeral_n_6464176.html)

“Ahmed Merabet knew better than anyone that radical Islam has nothing to do with Islam and that fanaticism kills Muslims,” Hollande said. “Madness has no religion. It has the face of hate, a hatred for all that France represents.”

The French President called it correctly.