View Full Version : Incentives for business beautification

ChrisHayes
01-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Would anyone else be in favor of giving incentives to businesses if they improve the general appearance of their properties? I'm talking new paint jobs, getting rid of clutter, etc. I would especially like to see something like this around the CBD like along Classen, Western, and Shartel

bchris02
01-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Would anyone else be in favor of giving incentives to businesses if they improve the general appearance of their properties? I'm talking new paint jobs, getting rid of clutter, etc. I would especially like to see something like this around the CBD like along Classen, Western, and Shartel

I would be totally in favor of this. As I have learned from recent trips to Tulsa and to Dallas, sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference in appearance and perception. Such an ordinance would greatly benefit OKC in my opinion. Question is, would the state of Oklahoma prevent OKC from enacting such an ordinance? I think a few years back the city tried to enact an abandoned property ordinance and the state passed a law banning the city from doing so.

ChrisHayes
01-04-2015, 01:34 PM
I drive up Classen and Western, South of 23rd Street just about every day, and I see countless buildings where, if they were given a paint job, cleaned up, etc, it would make a world of difference in appearance of the area.

mugofbeer
01-04-2015, 01:47 PM
North side, it would be nice. The south side is where this is really needed.

ctchandler
01-04-2015, 05:10 PM
I don't know where the money came from but I'm sure a lot of us remember Lincoln Blvd from a few years ago, and look at it now. I would like to see that transition all over the city. I'm not smart enough to know how it should be funded though. That's a difficult question. There are a lot of citizens that would oppose incentives and as a retiree on a fixed income, I can understand their opposition. However, I could support incentives.
C. T.

bchris02
01-05-2015, 09:19 AM
I think priority corridors should be identified and incentives given to beautify them.

On the northside I would start with Reno, 23rd, Western, Penn, and NW Expressway. I am not sure about the southside.

Jeepnokc
01-05-2015, 10:19 AM
I think priority corridors should be identified and incentives given to beautify them.

On the northside I would start with Reno, 23rd, Western, Penn, and NW Expressway. I am not sure about the southside.

It would depend on the incentives and requirements. I was a little perturbed that the train station received a million dollar grant in 1998. They should of had to repay that at a prorated amount when the property was sold. All we got for the million was free rent for a couple of years before they started boarding up the station to force a rent agreement. They should be required to hold on to the property for a set term or pay back the incentive on a pro ratio basis

ChrisHayes
01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Corridors would be the way to go; like a Classen and Western corridor from Reno to NW 13th street where they intersect. Even if it's just tax breaks to businesses for a couple years who implement improvements. There's this one building on Western that looks like an old abandoned theatre or something. It's on the western side of the road and it's south of NW 13th street. I'm not sure what it is, but I'd like to see it bought up and redeveloped.

adaniel
01-05-2015, 11:02 AM
It would depend on the incentives and requirements. I was a little perturbed that the train station received a million dollar grant in 1998. They should of had to repay that at a prorated amount when the property was sold. All we got for the million was free rent for a couple of years before they started boarding up the station to force a rent agreement. They should be required to hold on to the property for a set term or pay back the incentive on a pro ratio basis

IMO this would be the main problem with any sort of incentives. You are privatizing profits and socializing losses.

Personally I would be against this. This city and state give out entirely too many incentives to begin with; this is money that is badly needed for other things. More importantly, the city has the power to "beautify" areas through zoning regulations and code compliance. And they are only as effective as the city's level of enforcement. It should not have to dangle a carrot in front of establishments to follow rules that are already in place, especially when most businesses do keep themselves up, with the costs coming out of their pocket.

Jersey Boss
01-05-2015, 11:54 AM
^ Spot on. The incentive should be maintain your facilities or pay fines if you don't.

SouthSide
01-05-2015, 05:47 PM
The city needs to change some of the codes so that they apply to grandfathered businesses. SW 59 street has deteriorated over the last several years due to businesses moving dumpsters to the front of the business and paving over all landscaping. Contacted the city and nothing can be done under the current code because they are grandfathered and not subject to the codes.

Oklahoma City Public Schools is another offender. They do not keep up with the mowing and the landscaping is either nonexistent or not maintained. They have let at least 70% of the trees die at the remodeled US Grant so now the frontage is nothing more than depressing chain link fence.