View Full Version : Florida Passes New York to Become the Nation’s Third Most Populous State

Plutonic Panda
01-02-2015, 06:19 PM
New Census Bureau state population estimates

http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/newsroom/releases/2014/cb14-232_state_popest_graphic.jpg

By adding an average of 803 new residents each day between July 1, 2013 and July 1, 2014, Florida passed New York to become the nation’s third most populous state, according to U.S. Census Bureau state population estimates released today. Florida’s population grew by 293,000 over this period, reaching 19.9 million. The population of New York increased by 51,000 to 19.7 million.

California remained the nation’s most populous state in 2014, with 38.8 million residents, followed by Texas, at 27.0 million. Although the list of the 10 most populous states overall was unchanged, two other states did change positions, as North Carolina moved past Michigan to take the ninth spot.

Another milestone took place in Georgia (ranked 8th), which saw its population surpass 10 million for the first time.

North Dakota was the nation’s fastest-growing state over the last year. Its population increased 2.2 percent, followed by the 1.7 percent growth in Nevada and Texas. Each of the 10 fastest-growing states was in the South or West with the exception of North Dakota.

Six states lost population between July 1, 2013, and July 1, 2014: Illinois (9,972 or -0.08 percent), West Virginia (3,269 or -0.18 percent), Connecticut (2,664 or -0.07 percent), New Mexico (1,323 or -0.06 percent, Alaska (527 or -0.07 percent) and Vermont (293 or -0.05 percent).

The United States as a whole saw its population increase by 2.4 million to 318.9 million, or 0.75 percent.

In addition to the 50 states and the District of Columbia, the new statistics also include estimates for Puerto Rico. On July 1, 2014, Puerto Rico had an estimated population of 3.5 million, a decline of 47,000, or 1.3 percent, from one year earlier.

The Census Bureau produces population estimates each year, allowing the public to gauge the growth and demographic composition of the nation, states and communities. These statistics use administrative data to estimate population change between census years, using the decennial census count as a starting point. Local governments use estimates to locate services, and estimates are used by the private sector to locate businesses.

The Census Bureau also released today estimates of the number of people 18 and older in the U.S., states and Puerto Rico. The downloadable file also includes total population and the percentage of people 18 and older. Internet address: Population Estimates: Datasets for all geographies - U.S Census Bureau (http://www.census.gov/popest/data/datasets.html).

More here: Florida Passes New York to Become Nation's Third Most Populous State (http://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2014/cb14-232.html)

Mel
01-02-2015, 08:38 PM
That may change when we normalize relations with Cuba.

Snowman
01-02-2015, 09:09 PM
That may change when we normalize relations with Cuba.

Cuba is not exactly in the economic shape to be attracting a lot of people back to it, plus even with normalized relations there is at least some portion of those who came from Cuba that do not have any want of it's government. In fact it may actually increase Florida's growth if it makes legal immigration from there to the US easier.

Celebrator
01-02-2015, 10:50 PM
And it is only going to continue as Baby Boomers retire in greater numbers and seek their own slice of the Sunshine State--which is still VERY affordable compared to living "up north." Never-ending population growth is one of the reasons I left FL in my rear view five years ago and came here. Just too many people for my liking. Arriving here elicited a deep, satisfying exhale for both my wife and me.

Wishbone
01-09-2015, 10:26 AM
I think I read that 800 people per day move to Florida. That is crazy!

Pete
01-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Looking at the full estimate data, Oklahoma grew 3.38% since 2010, which ranks 24th among all states. Texas grew at 7.2% (on a much bigger base) and Florida was 5.8%.

Oklahoma ranks 28th in population based on these estimates.

Estimates will soon be out for cities / MSA's and I'll be very interested to see OKC's growth rate.

Pete
01-09-2015, 11:05 AM
BTW, based on the very average growth rate for the entire state, it seems OKC is really the only area experiencing any type of significant population increases.

Based on the 2013 population estimates vs. 2010 census, Tulsa's growth rate was below average (40th out of 70) of the top Metropolitan Statistical Areas, while OKC ranked #10 on that list.

OKC grew 5.32% in those 3.5 years, while Tulsa only grew 2.75% on a smaller base.

For OKC to really grow and thrive, we need the whole state -- and particularly Tulsa -- to pick up the pace. You don't often see a thriving metro area in an otherwise lagging state.

dcsooner
01-09-2015, 06:36 PM
BTW, based on the very average growth rate for the entire state, it seems OKC is really the only area experiencing any type of significant population increases.

Based on the 2013 population estimates vs. 2010 census, Tulsa's growth rate was below average (40th out of 70) of the top Metropolitan Statistical Areas, while OKC ranked #10 on that list.

OKC grew 5.32% in those 3.5 years, while Tulsa only grew 2.75% on a smaller base.

For OKC to really grow and thrive, we need the whole state -- and particularly Tulsa -- to pick up the pace. You don't often see a thriving metro area in an otherwise lagging state.

Pete or anyone else who cares to comment.
What do you think are the 5-6 most significant reasons why Oklahoma at large and OKC specifically never seem to be able to attain hyper population growth over a sustained period of time? What if anything can be done to reverse a negative trend. The State and City are growing, but seem to be stuck in the 28-30 range for /states and 40=45 range for MSA

Pete
01-09-2015, 07:04 PM
^

OKC has picked up the pace of late. As of mid-2013 estimates, the 10-year growth rate was over 15% which is as good as it's ever been.

I'm hoping the 2014 estimate (released in March) will show closer to 20% extrapolated growth for the decade.

I think the main thing holding Oklahoma back is low quality education. Our spending on public schools is abysmal and our universities are okay, but none very high-ranking.

All cities that really boom are in states that offer something unique: beauty (Pacific Northwest); education/tech (Austin and Carolinas) or incredible economy (Houston and Dallas).

The only thing really driving OKC is the economy so hopefully that will continue. If it does, that could be enough to get into boom territory but it would help if Tulsa would get it in gear.

Mel
01-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Cuba is not exactly in the economic shape to be attracting a lot of people back to it, plus even with normalized relations there is at least some portion of those who came from Cuba that do not have any want of it's government. In fact it may actually increase Florida's growth if it makes legal immigration from there to the US easier.

Until it becomes the tourist attraction that it used to be. Tourism is big bucks.

Prunepicker
01-13-2015, 07:28 PM
New Census Bureau state population estimates
I've not kept up with the population of cities like I did when I was a kid in
elementary school.

I've always thought of NY as being the most populated state because, and
only because, of NYC.

I'm glad that Florida has surpassed NY in population.