View Full Version : Zero: 2016

ljbab728
12-28-2014, 10:51 PM
This topic, while it only applies to Norman for now, seems too universal to only post in the Norman specific thread.

Norman to participate in Zero: 2016, a national initiative to end homelessness | News OK (http://newsok.com/norman-to-participate-in-zero-2016-a-national-initiative-to-end-homelessness/article/5379737)

Thanks to efforts by the city and One Vision One Voice, a collective of nonprofits behind recent campaigns to end homelessness, Norman was selected recently to be one of 69 communities to participate in Zero: 2016, a nationwide campaign to end veteran and chronic homelessness in those communities by the end of 2016.
Like other recent Norman programs, Zero: 2016 follows the “housing first” principle. Instead of giving priority to homeless individuals who have met certain criteria, such as getting sober or seeking work, “housing first” focuses on taking the most vulnerable people off the streets regardless of any health or substance abuse issues they may have.

Under the guidelines of One Vision One Voice, the most vulnerable — or those deemed most likely to die on the streets — will be housed first.

I have doubts that they will achieve their goals but it is an admirable start to accomplish something positive in that area.

seajohn
12-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Not sure how this is going to work. Some of these people don't want any help. There's one guy in Norman who my kids call the 'Chinese hobo'. He walks around in an OD trenchcoat, probably around 60, looks Japanese, and supposedly lives in the woods. He's pretty mobile; I've seen him all over Norman. I know two people who've seen him in stores and tried to give him money, and he just threw it back at them, saying he doesn't want their money.

ljbab728
12-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Not sure how this is going to work. Some of these people don't want any help. There's one guy in Norman who my kids call the 'Chinese hobo'. He walks around in an OD trenchcoat, probably around 60, looks Japanese, and supposedly lives in the woods. He's pretty mobile; I've seen him all over Norman. I know two people who've seen him in stores and tried to give him money, and he just threw it back at them, saying he doesn't want their money.

People like that are the reason that I said that I have doubts that they will achieve their goals.