View Full Version : OKC on the Internet

Plutonic Panda
12-18-2014, 09:19 PM
It is just me or is our city website horribly outdated? I haven't really checked other city websites besides Dallas's and it isn't all that better.

If you look at Project 180 they are still showing pictures with the Devon Tower under construction and the MAPS3 part has the last update in April. The city of Edmond has a pretty nice website although the city of Edmond is much smaller and probably easier to handle.

zachnash
12-18-2014, 09:22 PM
You are right. It is outdated. The City is preparing to redesign OKC.gov, which hasn't been refreshed in over 10 years. The project will kick off hopefully by Feb. 2015.

Snowman
12-18-2014, 09:24 PM
It is just me or is our city website horribly outdated? I haven't really checked other city websites besides Dallas's and it isn't all that better.

That is pretty common of government sites, if there are any exceptions it will generally be the ones geared to attracting tourists or businesses.

Plutonic Panda
12-18-2014, 09:30 PM
You are right. It is outdated. The City is preparing to redesign OKC.gov, which hasn't been refreshed in over 10 years. The project will kick off hopefully by Feb. 2015.Glad to hear that. Hopefully it happens. I know a couple years ago there was something posted on their website about that. It's just been so long I wasn't sure if that was still the plan or not.

Plutonic Panda
12-18-2014, 09:31 PM
That is pretty common of government sites, if there are any exceptions it will generally be the ones geared to attracting tourists or businesses.ODOT is one of the worst. I don't even know how to navigate that site really other than just reading latest news.

zachnash
03-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Input sought for redesigned City of OKC website

The City of Oklahoma City invites all City residents, metro commuters and visitors to participate in an online public survey open until April 3 that will provide planning input for the upcoming redesign of the okc.gov website.

Anyone interested in taking the survey can go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/okc-redesign.

zachnash
05-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Help rethink okc.gov during public meeting and Twitter town hall

Help make sure the upcoming redesign of okc.gov reflects the needs of your family, friends and neighbors by participating in a simultaneous public meeting and Twitter town hall.

The City is hosting a public meeting on the redesign of the City website from 11:15 a.m. to noon May 13 in the Council Chamber on the third floor of City Hall, 200 N. Walker Ave.

The event will also be shown live on City Channel 20 and on the City’s live YouTube channel.

Everyone is also invited to participate in a Twitter town hall at the same time, which will feature information from the meeting from City staff and the website redesign vendor, Vision Internet. Twitter users can follow the conversation and provide valuable feedback by using the hashtag #okcgov.

Redesign project

The Public Information and Marketing Department is coordinating efforts from all City departments to work with Vision Internet to redesign okc.gov. The goal is a more user-friendly website for City residents looking for information and services.

The redesigned website is expected to be developed this year, with a launch in late 2015 or early 2016.

The current okc.gov design is more than 20 years old. As the City’s flagship information portal, input from residents is valuable when considering a modern design for viewing on a wide variety of devices and screen sizes.

The first phase of public feedback was an online survey in March and April.

ljbab728
05-11-2015, 08:24 PM
That's a great idea but I always hate it when things like this are planned for the middle of the day and on a work day. Most people can't participate, even if they want to. I'm sure there is no time that would make everyone happy, however.

zachnash
05-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Understand what you are saying. The meeting will be published on YouTube. Also, if you aren't on Twitter, I will post all questions asked in the public focus group here and on OKC.gov.

zachnash
05-14-2015, 03:40 PM
That's a great idea but I always hate it when things like this are planned for the middle of the day and on a work day. Most people can't participate, even if they want to. I'm sure there is no time that would make everyone happy, however.

As promised, here are the questions from the public focus group. Feel free to submit responses here and I'll add them to the list.

1. What is your overall impression of okc.gov?
2. How often do you use okc.gov?
3. What is the primary reason you visit okc.gov?
4. What other reasons do you have for using okc.gov?
5. Are you able to find the information you need on okc.gov? If not, what is missing or difficult to find?
6. What suggestions do you have for improving okc.gov, including design and functionality?
7. What devices do you use to access okc.gov?

mmonroe
05-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Here are my responses (15 years design and web marketing experience)

Dated and very busy to the point it's all clustered and hard to find information, so not user friendly.
3 maybe 4 times a month.
Information, photo updates.
Response tracker.. occasional press release.
5. Are you able to find the information you need on okc.gov? If not, what is missing or difficult to find?
Eventually you find what you're looking for or you google it site:okc.gov
6. What suggestions do you have for improving okc.gov, including design and functionality?
The increase of mobile users is starting to dictate design. I personally am a huge fan of flat design and long scrolling pages that include teasers to more information.
PC, Android Phone

Mel
05-17-2015, 05:46 PM
I did the survey monkey thingy. I answered as an older grandparent that doesn't mind walking when possible and family friendly. Plus threw in my technotard condition.

Snowman
05-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Here are my responses (15 years design and web marketing experience)

Dated and very busy to the point it's all clustered and hard to find information, so not user friendly.
3 maybe 4 times a month.
Information, photo updates.
Response tracker.. occasional press release.
Eventually you find what you're looking for or you google it site:okc.gov
The increase of mobile users is starting to dictate design. I personally am a huge fan of flat design and long scrolling pages that include teasers to more information.
PC, Android Phone

How to you find things for OKC on site.kc.gov :)

julieriggs
05-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Wish I had noticed this earlier!
I would like to add one small input: PLEASE maintain the one-time payment function for OKC utility bills. I pay an OKC utility bill for my rental property, and also pay for multiple commercial properties for my employer. The ability to submit a payment by only entering the account number is a great thing for me, and keeps me from having to set up and track another dozen login/password combos. The ability to make a payment on my bill is not something that needs to be password protected, as long as no financial information is stored for later use. So many entities set up onerous account security that is unnecessary! I have a password, pass phrase, and captcha image just to login to PAY my student loan. Is somebody going to try to hack in and pay it for me? I wish :)

So, for selfish reasons, please pass along my appreciation for the one-time payment tool. I hope they keep it! Thanks