View Full Version : Oklahoma and Nebraska suing Colorado over legalized pot

Pete
12-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Nebraska and Oklahoma sue Colorado over marijuana legalization - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_27163543/nebraska-and-oklahoma-sue-colorado-over-marijuana-legalization)

The Colorado attorney general's office says the states of Nebraska and Oklahoma have filed the lawsuit directly with the nation's highest court. The attorney general's office says the lawsuit alleges "that Colorado's Amendment 64 and its implementing legislation regarding recreational marijuana is unconstitutional under the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution."

AP
12-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Nebraska and Oklahoma sue Colorado over marijuana legalization - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_27163543/nebraska-and-oklahoma-sue-colorado-over-marijuana-legalization)

What's the point of this?! ****. I hate this state.

Plutonic Panda
12-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I like this comment

It's funny how these two states have no problem helping circumvent our guns laws, but then are up in arms about a plant coming into their state.

This is ridiculous. We actually had attorneys here spending time on this when they could have doing something more productive like figuring how to better our education and roads.

Pete
12-18-2014, 01:56 PM
In a news conference Thursday, Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning said marijuana from Colorado is turning up in Nebraska, resulting in an increase in marijuana-related arrests on his state's western border.

Kansas must be cool (if you know what I mean).

Achilleslastand
12-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Bass ackwards indeed.....
This state will be the last if at all to legalize MJ.

Jersey Boss
12-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Isn't Pruitt one of those who advocate for "states rights" whenever the Feds exert control?

onthestrip
12-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Ugh, Pruitt is such a conservative douche. Easy solution for Okla and Neb...stop worrying about pot smokers. It wont drain budgets if you dont let it. If they ignored it, they would have way more resources to put towards more addicting and harmful drugs like legal prescription narcotics and meth.

Isn't Pruitt one of those who advocate for "states rights" whenever the Feds exert control?

Yup, hes all for individual and states rights until its something he doesnt like.

TaoMaas
12-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Sometimes these things backfire and end up establishing a precedent that's the exact opposite of what was hoped for. What if the Supreme Court rules against us and it creates the first step for the overall decriminalization of pot?

dankrutka
12-18-2014, 03:40 PM
What's the point of this?! ****. I hate this state.

I'm assuming you mean that you hate the state government. Hopefully, you and others can turn the tide in Oklahoma politics. Unfortunately, voter turnout was pathetic last election. I am hopeful that OKC's urban growth might help to bring more diverse political views to the state. Unfortunately, there are no repercussions for hypocrisy (small government), lack of ethics (energy companies writing legal documents for attorney general), or waste (ridiculous lawsuits) because there is a lack of opposition. I hope the tide turns...

venture
12-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Sometimes these things backfire and end up establishing a precedent that's the exact opposite of what was hoped for. What if the Supreme Court rules against us and it creates the first step for the overall decriminalization of pot?

Then we would have cries of activist justices infringing on states rights.

People just need to realize what we have now is a 4 year run for governor by Mr. Pruitt...or a grab for Inhofe's seat if he croaks in office.

Fiscally this is just more wasted money that the state taxpayers will foot out to see this lawsuit through.

dankrutka
12-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Double post.

Soonerman
12-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Scott Pruitt is such an idiot, I wonder whats going to happen when all the states surrounding Oklahoma legalize Cannabis? Are they going to have border gaurds or will they get with the program and legalize too?

Soonerman
12-18-2014, 05:25 PM

People just need to realize what we have now is a 4 year run for governor by Mr. Pruitt...or a grab for Inhofe's seat if he croaks in office.

Fiscally this is just more wasted money that the state taxpayers will foot out to see this lawsuit through.

So why is Oklahoma screwing with Colorado's state rights?

Easy180
12-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Don't blame the states for suing. Must do something to stop the huge increase in stoned folks playing video games and watching cartoons

venture
12-18-2014, 06:31 PM
So why is Oklahoma screwing with Colorado's state rights?

Oh you mean other states have rights too? I guess Mr. Pruitt missed that memo. LOL Granted government overreach is only a bad thing when it goes against those at the state capitol. Tell Oklahoma leaders they can't do something, let the lawsuits fly! Oklahoma cities want to do their own there, watch the laws pass like crazy to deny then any ability to do their own thing.

Urbanized
12-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Sometimes these things backfire and end up establishing a precedent that's the exact opposite of what was hoped for...
You mean like how we wouldn't have legal gay marriage here if we hadn't bothered to pass a poorly-crafted public referendum opposing gay marriage?

OKCisOK4me
12-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Just plain silly...

Dustin
12-18-2014, 09:38 PM
I think we have more important issues to deal with in this state.

Like, uh, METH!!!!

Dustin
12-18-2014, 09:48 PM
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10858397_10205922659685230_6993039507878260887_n.j pg?oh=f8ad8cbe5928284789d23cf167a86a23&oe=550B38BB

jerrywall
12-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Oh you mean other states have rights too? I guess Mr. Pruitt missed that memo. LOL Granted government overreach is only a bad thing when it goes against those at the state capitol. Tell Oklahoma leaders they can't do something, let the lawsuits fly! Oklahoma cities want to do their own there, watch the laws pass like crazy to deny then any ability to do their own thing.

To be fair you get into mucky (your rights to swing your fist ends when it touches my nose). If it is true that Colorado, by choosing to ignore/contradict Federal laws, is costing Oklahoma money, there may be cause (from a legal standpoint). Not that I agree with this case. But it may be simply that the resolution of this case, rather than forcing Colorado to reverse course on legalization (which I doubt will happen) there may be some sort of settlement which involves some commitment to help control smuggling/bootlegging into Oklahoma, or financial support for Oklahoma law enforcement.

kelroy55
12-19-2014, 09:11 AM
I wonder if it would be the same as the speed limit on I35 at the TX/OK border is 75 in TX and 70 in OK. Is TX at fault for cars coming into OK going over their speed limit?

jerrywall
12-19-2014, 09:20 AM

Yeah, pretty sure it's a governor run, which is funny because I don't think he'd beat out Lamb. Which explains why he continued to raise money even though he ran unopposed.

ctchandler
12-19-2014, 09:31 AM
I wonder if it would be the same as the speed limit on I35 at the TX/OK border is 75 in TX and 70 in OK. Is TX at fault for cars coming into OK going over their speed limit?

Kelroy,
I'm not taking sides, but but I wanted to point out that there is no federal law against driving 75 however there is a federal law prohibiting marijuana. Your post just caught my attention and I understand where you are coming from. I support the tenth amendment. If there was no federal law against marijuana, Oklahoma and Nebraska wouldn't be going to court.
C. T.

kelroy55
12-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Kelroy,
I'm not taking sides, but but I wanted to point out that there is no federal law against driving 75 however there is a federal law prohibiting marijuana. Your post just caught my attention and I understand where you are coming from. I support the tenth amendment. If there was no federal law against marijuana, Oklahoma and Nebraska wouldn't be going to court.
C. T.

I understand what you're saying but I said that to point out the silliness of the lawsuit.

Bunty
12-21-2014, 02:20 AM
For decades, a small number of people have been getting medical marijuana sent to them free from the federal government from the result of a court ruling. So if the federal laws banning marijuana are to be taken seriously, there should have been a move made to request the Supreme Court to overturn that court ruling. I suppose if the Supreme Court was told that has been going on, they would only say why hasn't anybody brought it to our attention?

Bunty
12-21-2014, 02:26 AM
Not much of anything, if it causes marijuana to be legalized. My parents and grandparents don't remember the sky falling when Oklahoma legalized alcohol in 1959.

Edgar
12-21-2014, 12:53 PM
This is about Pruitt being butthurt about continually being slapped upside the head with the Supremacy Clause in his lawsuits against the federal demons. He pursed his persnickety lips, threw and tantrum and sued Colorado because they're a cool progressive state flouting federal law. Ok sucks.

Plutonic Panda
12-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Kansas mulling response to legal pot in Colorado - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/27681721/kansas-mulling-response-to-legal-pot-in-colorado)

Plutonic Panda
12-21-2014, 06:09 PM
New petition asks Oklahoma attorney general to withdraw lawsuit against Colorado | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/12/20/new-petition-asks-oklahoma-attorney-general-to-withdraw-lawsuit-against-colorado/)

http://kfor.com/2014/12/21/its-beyond-infuriating-oklahoma-mother-furious-about-legalization-lawsuit/

Bunty
12-25-2014, 01:10 PM
New petition asks Oklahoma attorney general to withdraw lawsuit against Colorado | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/12/20/new-petition-asks-oklahoma-attorney-general-to-withdraw-lawsuit-against-colorado/)

?It?s beyond infuriating,? Oklahoma mother furious about legalization lawsuit | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/12/21/its-beyond-infuriating-oklahoma-mother-furious-about-legalization-lawsuit/)
I've signed it and it's gone over 16,000 signatures.

The petition ends with, "Marijuana is objectively less harmful than alcohol to the consumer and to society, and it’s time to start treating it that way." So true, but odd how Pruitt says he is not against legal possession of marijuana in Colorado, but opposes legal sales of it." Legal and regulated sales of marijuana would make things safer by banning sales on site of all the more harmful illegal drugs, like heroin. So I imagine the underground drug pushers in Colorado are cheering on Pruitt and hope he wins. They surely want all their rec marijuana market back.

Pruitt supposedly knows a lot about the constitution, so I reckon he thinks he's smart enough to use that knowledge to try to enforce his conservative ideology on Oklahoma and the rest of the nation where he sees fit. So he has a Federalism Unit, aimed at revitalizing federalism as a system of “vertical checks and balances.” : http://www.ok.gov/oag/About_the_Office/Solicitor_General_Unit.html

Soonerman
12-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Do you folks remember getting to vote on this?? Scott Pruitt: Marijuana lawsuit protects policy choice made by Oklahomans - Tulsa World: Readers Forum (http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/readersforum/scott-pruitt-marijuana-lawsuit-protects-policy-choice-made-by-oklahomans/article_c125ac8e-cde7-5d1d-a2ce-8dc201b2b488.html)

Bunty
12-26-2014, 06:40 PM
No, Pruitt seems to equate lack of public interest and lack of money to get medical marijuana on the ballot the same thing as voting NO on a ballot.