View Full Version : oklahoma state police

Pages : [1] 2

Martin
12-16-2014, 01:36 PM
alright, this is probably a bonehead question but i can't find any information on this online.

occasionally, i'll see silver tahoes with light bars around town that are marked "state police." i think there's some sort of insignia that's some sort of shield. any idea who these report to? a google search for the term shows information for the highway patrol but these are marked differently than any of those. just mildly curious who these are... -M

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Kind of off topic, but I saw an early 2000's Camero that had OHP wrap all around it. Do they still use those? It was like this but with OHP badging

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/CHP_4th_gen_Camaro_in_traditional_colors.JPG

rezman
12-16-2014, 01:59 PM
alright, this is probably a bonehead question but i can't find any information on this online.

occasionally, i'll see silver tahoes with light bars around town that are marked "state police." i think there's some sort of insignia that's some sort of shield. any idea who these report to? a google search for the term shows information for the highway patrol but these are marked differently than any of those. just mildly curious who these are... -M

I've seen them as well. They are state agents, and I know that they work with the drug interdiction teams on the interstates, but I still wondered why we need another state police agency. They are separate from the OHP.

kelroy55
12-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Not sure in OK but I know Nebraska had vehicles like that and the weigh station guys used them, they are also state police anyway but drove those because they carried portable scales.

Martin
12-16-2014, 02:06 PM
not sure if this helps but i've seen them driving on the highway in two parts of town... northbound i-44 just south of I-240 and northbound i-235 around ne 23rd. -M

rezman
12-16-2014, 02:10 PM
I've seen them on I-35 between appox NE 50th Okc and 2nd street Edmond, and parked at I-44/I-35 junction with the other groups of interdictors.

Martin
12-16-2014, 02:13 PM
you guys are awesome... a search for 'oklahoma bureau of narcotics' showed me this:

http://www.jbot.ca/images/cars/02/02-111.jpg

Martin
12-16-2014, 02:13 PM
i now remember the "k-9" decal as well and at the time thought it was a bit weird... now that i know the drug enforcement angle, that makes sense. -M

Plutonic Panda
12-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Can the pull people over for traffic violations? I know when I was in New Orleans, they had tons of state police in the French Quarter.

TheTravellers
12-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Can the pull people over for traffic violations? I know when I was in New Orleans, they had tons of state police in the French Quarter.

I believe other state's "State Police" = Oklahoma's "Highway Patrol", but I'm not sure if this type of OBN officer/vehicle can pull someone over for traffic violations. They're some kind of cop, so they probably can....

onthestrip
12-16-2014, 03:02 PM
These are the guys that pull over people (profile) for minor violations, have the dog "hit" on their vehicle, find drugs and then take for themselves the vehicle and any cash. Google "civil forfeiture laws/abuse" and you'll see what theyre up to.
Any non-white with an out of state tag should always be wary of passing these guys.

Jim Kyle
12-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Kind of off topic, but I saw an early 2000's Camero that had OHP wrap all around it. Do they still use those? It was like this but with OHP badging

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/CHP_4th_gen_Camaro_in_traditional_colors.JPGProbab ly forfeited in a drug operation. Back when the DARE program was active, OHP had a top-of-the-line Mustang acquired by that means that was assigned to the DARE troopers in order to make a stronger impression when they visited high schools to make their pitch. They also took it to most every car show around the state, which is where I saw it. Magnificent muscle car, it was -- almost at the level of a Shelby!

ctchandler
12-16-2014, 03:19 PM
These are the guys that pull over people (profile) for minor violations, have the dog "hit" on their vehicle, find drugs and then take for themselves the vehicle and any cash. Google "civil forfeiture laws/abuse" and you'll see what theyre up to.
Any non-white with an out of state tag should always be wary of passing these guys.

Onthestrip,
Those cars are usually parked in the median at the I-44/I-35 interchange and have been there for over twenty years. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to the ratio (I'm know there a lot of hispanics), but as someone that has driven from I-44 North on I-35 thousands of times I have seen plenty of caucasians stopped. I am certain that hispanics are number one, after that, I honestly don't know. And I have also seen them assisting drivers in trouble, changing flats mostly.
C. T.

OKCRT
12-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Lots of mexican drug runners come through Oklahoma so they do get profiled no matter what some might try to make you believe. I do know this for a fact. With having two major interstates in 1-40 and 1-35 they get plenty of action. It seems that 1-35 gets more of it but I have seen them on 1-40 as well. I have seen many U-Haul ect. rental type box trucks pulled over and also many SUV type vehicles as well. You just never know who is running up and down the freeways or what they might be carrying.

A few years ago I was having some decent sized tanks delivered from Arizona. Well it was pretty late at night when the delivery guy was coming through OKC so we met up in a Lowes parking lot to transfer tanks from the rental truck to a pickup. As soon as the rental Penske Box Truck pulled into the parking lot the cops swarmed us to see what was going on. They must have had their eye on that box truck because as soon as he stops and gets out they swoop in. The cops asked him what he was carrying and he told them and opened up the back of the truck so they could see the tanks. They said something about something and took off about as fast as they swarmed in. Crazy.

Klop
12-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Lots of mexican drug runners come through Oklahoma so they do get profiled no matter what some might try to make you believe. I do know this for a fact. With having two major interstates in 1-40 and 1-35 they get plenty of action. It seems that 1-35 gets more of it but I have seen them on 1-40 as well. I have seen many U-Haul ect. rental type box trucks pulled over and also many SUV type vehicles as well. You just never know who is running up and down the freeways or what they might be carrying.

A few years ago I was having some decent sized tanks delivered from Arizona. Well it was pretty late at night when the delivery guy was coming through OKC so we met up in a Lowes parking lot to transfer tanks from the rental truck to a pickup. As soon as the rental Penske Box Truck pulled into the parking lot the cops swarmed us to see what was going on. They must have had their eye on that box truck because as soon as he stops and gets out they swoop in. The cops asked him what he was carrying and he told them and opened up the back of the truck so they could see the tanks. They said something about something and took off about as fast as they swarmed in. Crazy.

Its all about the .....$$$$$$$

rezman
12-16-2014, 07:44 PM
The profilers can be seen by the I-35 / I-44 interchange and at I-35 / Turner Turnpike, sometimes in pairs. They usually park perpendicular to the roadway. At night they park in the same fashion with their highbeams on and scan vehicle interiors as the drive by.

Mel
12-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Where are The Millers when you need them.

Snowman
12-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Probably forfeited in a drug operation. Back when the DARE program was active, OHP had a top-of-the-line Mustang acquired by that means that was assigned to the DARE troopers in order to make a stronger impression when they visited high schools to make their pitch. They also took it to most every car show around the state, which is where I saw it. Magnificent muscle car, it was -- almost at the level of a Shelby!

While I can not say for all of them, I am pretty sure they did a block buy of camaros around the time I was graduating high school (late 90s)

It was like this but with OHP badging

was this the look, it kinda seems like there was some all white with the text/state icon on it too

http://oktrooper.com/veh-camero1.jpg

RadicalModerate
12-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Is there a logo, in fine print, on the side, that says: "We Serve and Protect Special Interests"?

rezman
12-17-2014, 05:01 AM
While I can not say for all of them, I am pretty sure they did a block buy of camaros around the time I was graduating high school (late 90s)

was this the look, it kinda seems like there was some all white with the text/state icon on it too

http://oktrooper.com/veh-camero1.jpg

OHP did order a batch of B4C package Camaros ... the LT1 versions of which had a top speed of just under 160 mph. I'm not sure if any are still on the road anymore. I haven't seen any in a long time. I had heard that they were pretty squirrely though.

kelroy55
12-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Somewhat off the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zEzHPsi87w

Urbanized
12-17-2014, 07:03 AM
^^^^^^^^^
One of the best live shows you'll ever see.

Filthy
12-17-2014, 07:14 AM

I don't have a problem with this at all.

Jim Kyle
12-17-2014, 08:36 AM
While I can not say for all of them, I am pretty sure they did a block buy of camaros around the time I was graduating high school (late 90s).I seem to recall a block buy of Mustangs, also, around that time -- but the one I mentioned above wasn't a stock unit or Interceptor (police) model. It had been blinged out to the utmost by its previous owner.

Can't tell from a photo, though, and even less from a passing glance and semi-fuzzy memory.

rezman
12-17-2014, 09:08 AM
The Mustangs came along sometime in the mid 80's ... I got pulled over by an OHP topper driving one while I was on my bike one day out on 66 in Bethany. I recall that it sounded pretty mean sitting there idling while I was being written up. Those things were bad... here's a related story.

Hemmings Find of the Day ? 1982 Ford Mustang Special Service Packages | Hemmings Daily (http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/12/13/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1982-ford-mustang-special-service-packages/)

onthestrip
12-17-2014, 09:11 AM
I don't have a problem with this at all.

You dont have a problem with denying due process and highly questionable seizures of property by law enforcement officers? And you dont have a problem with people who have only been pulled over for a minor traffic violation to have cash seized from them if its over a certain amount?

Filthy
12-17-2014, 09:35 AM
You dont have a problem with denying due process and highly questionable seizures of property by law enforcement officers? And you dont have a problem with people who have only been pulled over for a minor traffic violation to have cash seized from them if its over a certain amount?

I don't have a problem with them profiling, nor do I have a problem with them throwing a K9 on the profiled car either. Probable cause or not.

Plutonic Panda
12-17-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't have a problem with them profiling, nor do I have a problem with them throwing a K9 on the profiled car either. Probable cause or not.I know for a fact the Sheriff's profile and they nab a lot of people because of it. I don't have a problem with it and I'm not going to disclose how I know they do that, but I promise you they do.

TheTravellers
12-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't have a problem with them profiling, nor do I have a problem with them throwing a K9 on the profiled car either. Probable cause or not.

"Probable cause or not" - why not just shoot them in the head and be done with it?

Jersey Boss
12-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Do you have any problems with probable cause or say the IRS profiling tax returns from certain zip codes?

Plutonic Panda
12-17-2014, 09:53 AM
"Probable cause or not" - why not just shoot them in the head and be done with it?To be clear, I meant in my post profiling by pulling someone suspicious over only if they're breaking the law by doing something a cop wouldn't normally pull someone over for but would if they see someone else do it and they come off as suspicious.

I'm not trying to say a cop should just be able to pull someone over for no reason other than they look suspicious. They have to be doing something illegal or committing some kind of traffic violation first.

Filthy
12-17-2014, 09:53 AM
"Probable cause or not" - why not just shoot them in the head and be done with it?

I don't always feel as if its necessary for someone to die, just because they're a worthless piece of ****.

Filthy
12-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Do you have any problems with probable cause or say the IRS profiling tax returns from certain zip codes?

It's hard for me to say. As, I personally don't take a hard stance on white collar crimes.

kelroy55
12-17-2014, 10:06 AM
OHP did order a batch of B4C package Camaros ... the LT1 versions of which had a top speed of just under 160 mph. I'm not sure if any are still on the road anymore. I haven't seen any in a long time. I had heard that they were pretty squirrely though.

I remember when the Nebraska HP got Camaro's with the Vette engine in them. They had to change the ones with an automatic transmission out for a stick because they kept tearing up the tranny's.

Jersey Boss
12-17-2014, 10:10 AM
It's hard for me to say. As, I personally don't take a hard stance on white collar crimes.

Yeah, there's a shocker.

Filthy
12-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Yeah, there's a shocker.

Shouldn't come as any surprise. A crime is a crime, and there is no gray area in regards to that.

But, in some crazy unforeseen real world scenario, where I'm forced to have to choose between: Having a family member/loved one forced to spend a few hours holed up in some random southside motel room with a crack dealer cutting up smack, or spending that same amount of time, locked in a board room with some CEO type sitting behind a computer, trying to figure out how to scheme a few extra thousand dollars off the books.

I know which one I'm more comfortable with.

catch22
12-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Just curious, I see this from time to time form various posters. Why do people put a one?

It is I-35 I-40, not 1. Eye not one.

rezman
12-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Just curious, I see this from time to time form various posters. Why do people put a one?

It is I-35 I-40, not 1. Eye not one.

Eye Captain.

IanMcDermid
12-17-2014, 11:20 AM
I see people riding dirty going E-W down 24th st. hitting a stop sign on every single block just to avoid being spotted by cops on 23rd. I'm not offering my opinion here. But I see/hear a rusted over squeaky '78 cutlass sedan, hubcaps missing, one headlight, leaking exhaust, belts screaming, with a dude in his 20s wearing a tank top, gold chain, and a $60 new era ball cap with the stickers still on it. I'm thinking one could perceive you could buy drugs from that guy. But the case could be that a young guy can't drive a hoopty to his shift at sonic without getting traffic stops and searched.

At 19 I had to abandon my ratty 1976 coupe deville for a Honda civic because I got stopped and searched for anything from a yellow light to improper signaling to crossing the lane. I got pulled over once for braking too quickly. Always the line "anything in this car I should know about?" they never did find the 15lbs of sweet black tar heroine they were looking for.

Edit: [you could FIND drugs on that guy.] Smart drug dealers drive a Volvo or a Saab.

IanMcDermid
12-17-2014, 11:27 AM
On a trip to Memphis, about 30 miles from the state line I see a gigantic motorcoach, 8 state police cars. A small army in tactical black unloading identical white cubes from under the rig. And a sad elderly couple in track suits and cuffed hands in front. Makes sense, the cartels use everyone and anyone as mules. I just hope they don't die in prison. But they probably will. Some will think they deserve it.

TheTravellers
12-17-2014, 11:43 AM
To be clear, I meant in my post profiling by pulling someone suspicious over only if they're breaking the law by doing something a cop wouldn't normally pull someone over for but would if they see someone else do it and they come off as suspicious.

I'm not trying to say a cop should just be able to pull someone over for no reason other than they look suspicious. They have to be doing something illegal or committing some kind of traffic violation first.

Dude, cops profile people when they're *NOT* doing anything illegal or suspicious, all the time. Go read up on Black Asphalt. Case in North Carolina (I believe) was settled by SCOTUS recently (and wrongly, I believe, I agree with the lone dissenter, Sonia Sotomayor) with a cop pulling a Hispanic man over for looking straight ahead with his hands on the 2 and 10 positions (isn't that how we all should drive?) and for having only one operational taillight (which is legal in NC, but the cop thought it wasn't), he gave the cop permission to search, he found cocaine. Cop pulls someone over for being driving the way he should (completely legal to drive looking ahead with your hands on 10 and 2), with only one taillight (which *is* legal, again, in that state), but happens to be Hispanic - profiling or not?

Plutonic Panda
12-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Dude, cops profile people when they're *NOT* doing anything illegal or suspicious, all the time. Go read up on Black Asphalt. Case in North Carolina (I believe) was settled by SCOTUS recently (and wrongly, I believe, I agree with the lone dissenter, Sonia Sotomayor) with a cop pulling a Hispanic man over for looking straight ahead with his hands on the 2 and 10 positions (isn't that how we all should drive?) and for having only one operational taillight (which is legal in NC, but the cop thought it wasn't), he gave the cop permission to search, he found cocaine. Cop pulls someone over for being driving the way he should (completely legal to drive looking ahead with your hands on 10 and 2), with only one taillight (which *is* legal, again, in that state), but happens to be Hispanic - profiling or not?I know. I disagree that they should do that. If you're not doing anything illegal, you shouldn't be pulled over for anything.

TheTravellers
12-17-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't always feel as if its necessary for someone to die, just because they're a worthless piece of ****.

And how exactly do you know this (possibly innocent) person is a "worthless piece of ****"? You disgust me...

Filthy
12-17-2014, 01:06 PM
And how exactly do you know this (possibly innocent) person is a "worthless piece of ****"? You disgust me...

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck....

There's a reason profiling works.

kelroy55
12-17-2014, 01:40 PM

So profiling is 100% accurate?

Mel
12-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Eye Captain.

Filthy
12-17-2014, 01:53 PM
So profiling is 100% accurate?

No. I never insinuated that.

kelroy55
12-17-2014, 02:20 PM
No. I never insinuated that.

So when you say things like "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...." that doesn't always mean it's a duck?

Plutonic Panda
12-17-2014, 02:25 PM
So when you say things like "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...." that doesn't always mean it's a duck?
What if talks like one, but acts like one. Is it the same thing as walking like one, but talking like one as well? I'm wondering if there is a certain order it has to go in order for it to be a duck.

TheTravellers
12-17-2014, 02:27 PM

I wear earrings, 2 in the left ear, does that make me gay (I'm not, but that doesn't matter)? Quite a few Okies think so, they disgust me too.

Filthy
12-17-2014, 02:36 PM

It can't be "100% of the time," like you proposed. I don't want to throw out an arbitrary percentage, as it would be inaccurate.

I'm saying that I don't mind a Police Officer/HWY patrol making a stop based solely on profiling. If he gets a hit in 5 out of 10, 6 out of 10, 7 out of 10 stops.....or how many ever many times he/she discovers someone actually in the wrong...the number of true wrongdoers will be exponentially higher than if they were just making the same number of stops, on random individuals not using the same "profiling standards."

Right or Wrong...I'm indifferent.

Filthy
12-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I wear earrings, 2 in the left ear, does that make me gay (I'm not, but that doesn't matter)? Quite a few Okies think so, they disgust me too.

Moo Moo Buckeroo!

OKCRT
12-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Because I just let my fingers do the typing. As soon as I typed that I thought about changing the 1 to an I but didn't think anyone would notice. Good eyeballs.

RadicalModerate
12-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Going back to Posts No. 18 and 20 [ref. photo(s)]:
Ain't there some kinda law about not a-parkin' on the lawn? =)

stick47
12-19-2014, 05:38 AM
Somewhat off the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zEzHPsi87w

My friend, Fred Baker gave me this cap about 10 years ago. 9795

kelroy55
12-19-2014, 06:19 AM
LOL cool hat

traxx
12-19-2014, 09:34 AM
What if talks like one, but acts like one. Is it the same thing as walking like one, but talking like one as well? I'm wondering if there is a certain order it has to go in order for it to be a duck.

What about The Penguin from the '60s Batman? He walked like a penguin but quacked like a duck.

Mel
12-19-2014, 03:23 PM

I ain't no duck! That's profiling!

tfvc.org
12-19-2014, 05:25 PM
The OKC DEA agents also like to sit around the I-35 / 9 intersection by the Riverwind catching the Northbound traffic. I have never seen them pull anyone over, even speeders. It is like they already know who they are waiting for.

Plutonic Panda
12-19-2014, 06:28 PM
The OKC DEA agents also like to sit around the I-35 / 9 intersection by the Riverwind catching the Northbound traffic. I have never seen them pull anyone over, even speeders. It is like they already know who they are waiting for.

It's weird isn't it? I was doing 75-80 in a 60 on I44/I35 few nights ago and flew past a white undercover Tahoe and when I went past him he pulled out after a car behind me passed him who was going at or a little above the speed limit and he pulled him over. Curiously, I went back around and by that time they had two other sherrif chargers searching his car. The guy looked to be mexican or light black skinned and was being put in the back of the car. Sometimes I wonder if they have tech we don't know about and I'm being serious because they seem to know exactly which cars are packing.

I have been pulled over by a Sheriff (was driving stupid) a couple years back, but I do seem to notice they don't care about speeeing.

I've also noticed the OHP has certain areas where they enforce speeding, but are usually lenient to 5-15 over, and other areas they seem to focus on for drugs. I know on I35 near the Arbuckle's I was pulled over going at speeds I was sure he was doing to take me to jail for, but he wrote me a 10 under ticket and told me not to do it again.

Arcadia police are a bunch of pigs and the Edmond police for the most part are pretty good. On I35 there a couple places the Edmond po sit at: the top of the hill right after 33rd and Danforth exit. I've also seen troopers sit right after the 15th nb entry and sitting on the Danforth entry using laser.

There is one police department I've had a problem with and that is Arcadia. I haven't even had a ticket from them. The only copper in Edmond I question is officer Rice. He seems like a nice guy though. He's gave me about 4 tickets.

Luckily it's been about a year since my last ticket and I intend to keep it that way. Just don't support Arcadia at all. I hate that place. I have written them a very strongly worded message letting them know I will no long be buying anything I'm their city limits.