View Full Version : Crosses in downtown OKC's skyline

bchris02
12-10-2014, 05:58 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o214/bchris02/New-York-City-skyscrapers-lit-with-crosses-for-Easter-March-29-1956_zps94fb2814.jpg

Most US cities have long abandoned the tradition of displaying crosses in their skylines at Christmas and Easter but OKC still does it and to my knowledge is the only city in the US where that is so. Most cities display Christmas decorations of some sort but never crosses. I am not taking a stand for or against this practice, I just want to know people's opinions on it. I can see both sides personally.

Pro - It's a long-held Oklahoma tradition. There are pictures dating back to the 1930s that show First National Tower with a cross lit for the Christmas season. Christmas is celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ and the crosses symbolize that.

Against - The politicization of Christianity today has made the cross a divisive political symbol in the eyes of some and the skyline belongs to everyone regardless of religious or political affiliation.

So what are your thoughts on the practice? Do you enjoy seeing the crosses lit for Christmas and Easter? Would you rather see something else instead?

Plutonic Panda
12-10-2014, 06:03 PM
If I owned a skyscraper, I wouldn't light a cross on it. Really I don't care and I don't "enjoy" seeing them.

I do think it is their choice and they should have that right to display them.

MadMonk
12-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't have a problem with it. It's private property so they can do as they like. The skyline might be a public display, but the components that make up the downtown skyline do not belong to everyone.

Jake
12-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Meh. Those who own the buildings can do what they want.

Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually stopped here in the next few years, though. Someone will probably complain about it enough.

bradh
12-10-2014, 06:34 PM
bchris you really have a hard on against any type of Christian anything.

CuatrodeMayo
12-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I couldn't decide which one to post...take your pick: https://www.google.com/search?q=this+thread+again&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1PKIVM2AFoG7ogTQjIDQBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=372

rezman
12-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Yeah, the whiners will probably try to put a stop to it some day. It is private property and more power to them. The crosses have been a part of this city's Christmas skyline for years. I like it.

bchris02
12-10-2014, 06:49 PM
bchris you really have a hard on against any type of Christian anything.

I didn't say I was against it. If it stops, I hope it isn't because they are forced to. I just wanted to get opinions. Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

Plutonic Panda
12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
I couldn't decide which one to post...take your pick: https://www.google.com/search?q=this+thread+again&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1PKIVM2AFoG7ogTQjIDQBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=372

Hmmm. I've been on here for over two years now and I haven't seen one thread on it.

Stew
12-10-2014, 06:57 PM
The crosses are tired and boring and quite frankly make no sense. Its a birthday celebration for Pete's sake not a re-birth celebration. Why not swap out the crosses for something a bit more cheerful like the Star of David. Ya know celebrate the baby and his heritage. And eh it's guilt free to boot. WIN-WIN.

venture
12-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Geez...he posts a thread asking opinions and people get butt hurt and all up in his face. Relax for goodness sakes.

If they are tradition then so be it. Personally I would like to see them get more creative than telling everyone in middle offices and those on the XX floor to keep their lights on. Give me more creativity...the crosses are boring.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8354/8316271323_7e1a6172df_z.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uSeVcPD-qrE/TvoVHGlgODI/AAAAAAAAhZI/Akogb7ltXY0/s640/4.jpg

Plutonic Panda
12-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Geez...he posts a thread asking opinions and people get butt hurt and all up in his face. Relax for goodness sakes.

If they are tradition then so be it. Personally I would like to see them get more creative than telling everyone in middle offices and those on the XX floor to keep their lights on. Give me more creativity...the crosses are boring.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8354/8316271323_7e1a6172df_z.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uSeVcPD-qrE/TvoVHGlgODI/AAAAAAAAhZI/Akogb7ltXY0/s640/4.jpg

That's awesome. I guess they just painted the windows or something. Wouldn't be that hard to do. I'm thinking the new Sandridge Parkside building would be good for this.

venture
12-10-2014, 07:19 PM
That's awesome. I guess they just painted the windows or something. Wouldn't be that hard to do. I'm thinking the new Sandridge Parkside building would be good for this.

Probably just plastic wrap on the inside of the windows. :)

White Peacock
12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't enjoy seeing the crosses. In fact, it tends to make me roll my eyes the first time I see them every year. But ultimately, I couldn't give two sticks if they stay. It doesn't bother me in any real way, and if that's how the property management of those skyscrapers want to show their Christmas spirit, so be it. I'm sure if I owned a skyscraper, I'd light up things that piss people off, too.

Just different people than the crosses piss off.

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2014, 10:12 PM
The crosses are tired and boring and quite frankly make no sense. Its a birthday celebration for Pete's sake not a re-birth celebration. Why not swap out the crosses for something a bit more cheerful like the Star of David. Ya know celebrate the baby and his heritage. And eh it's guilt free to boot. WIN-WIN.

Why are you trying to bring Pete up in this? He hasn't even commented yet! :Smiley122

bchris02
12-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm sure if I owned a skyscraper, I'd light up things that piss people off, too.

Just different people than the crosses piss off.

Kind of like when the Duke Energy tower in Charlotte went rainbow for their gay pride event. That really ticked off a lot of people even in a city that is considerably more liberal than OKC is.

Seriously I think it would be nice if the building owners would do more elaborate Christmas decorations like what venture posted above. It's ultimately up to the building owners though.

UnclePete
12-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Seems like crosses would be more appropriate for Easter.

jerrywall
12-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Meh. I don't care if they do it or not (although it's something pretty simple to do for the holidays). That being said, considering I'm sure it boils the blood of some of the folks in the local atheist church and the freedom from religion foundation, I hope they continue.

Jersey Boss
12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
They just look cheesy. The colored light displays that Venture posted are much more pleasing, creative, and inclusive.

Cocaine
12-19-2014, 12:00 PM
It doesn't really matter to me if they continue or decide stop displaying crosses.I can't believe anyine cares about something so trivial.

OKCRT
12-19-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't mind one way or the other but if they are gonna do it I wish they would add some colors.

Bullbear
12-19-2014, 12:09 PM
there needs to be another option in that poll.. for "don't care"

Tigerguy
12-19-2014, 01:48 PM
I have no feeling one way or the other. The real fun would begin if somebody displayed the star and crescent during Ramadan.

bchris02
12-19-2014, 02:02 PM
I have no feeling one way or the other. The real fun would begin if somebody displayed the star and crescent during Ramadan.

True. That or anything else that the right wing fundamentalists didn't like would cause an major uproar I am sure.

It would be very interested to see whether Republicans would support their stance that property owners can make their own decisions if one of the high-rise owners decided to put a star and crescent up or if the Devon tower decided to do a rainbow lighting scheme with its LED system to celebrate OKC gay pride.

OkiePoke
12-19-2014, 02:13 PM
I voted that I didn't enjoy them... Just seems bland and out of date.

Now, I think it is up to the building owner and the company that is located in the building to determine if they want to display.

reverend
12-19-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm indifferent to it, but I think I would be sad to see it go. So many Christmas traditions have fallen by the wayside.

GaryOKC6
12-20-2014, 06:40 AM
I love seeing them every year. I am glad that some are keeping this alive. To me the cross is a symbol of Christ and Christmas is the celebration of his coming. I wish there were more. Just my opinion.

RadicalModerate
12-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm ambivalent on this issue, but I sort of agree with whoever said that the symbol of the cross might be more appropriate for Easter (or, The Celebration of The Resurrection).

I'm thinking that a star might be more closely related to "Christmas" . . .
Yet, a more culturally accurate symbol might be the giant dollar sign . . . for $ma$.

In any case, "the symbol is not the thing symbolized."
http://ronosaurusrex.com/metablog/files/pipe1.jpg
(nor does it belong to Santa Claus)

I had a picture of the famous "Pipe That Is Not a Pipe" posted, but apparently, The Grinch stole it.

bandnerd
12-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm not religious at all and I think it's kinda neat. But I love Christmas, even if I don't believe in any of it.

RadicalModerate
12-21-2014, 01:12 PM
I'm not religious at all and I think it's kinda neat. But I love Christmas, even if I don't believe in any of it.

The interesting thing about that viewpoint is that it really doesn't matter whether or not You believe in Christmas. Christmas believes in You.

(was that a Lifetime tv moment? or a Hallmark?)

Plutonic Panda
12-21-2014, 06:01 PM
The interesting thing about that viewpoint is that it really doesn't matter whether or not You believe in Christmas. Christmas believes in You.

(was that a Lifetime tv moment? or a Hallmark?)Santa Clause is real. Don't ask me how I know, but I know.

OKCDrummer77
12-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Santa Clause is real. Don't ask me how I know, but I know.

Yes, yes it is.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/OKCDrummer77/SantaClause_zps3e89b890.jpg (http://s538.photobucket.com/user/OKCDrummer77/media/SantaClause_zps3e89b890.jpg.html)

RadicalModerate
12-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Santa Clause is real. Don't ask me how I know, but I know.

Have you ever noticed how close "Santa Claus" is to "Satan Claws"? Me neither.

What I'd like to see, this time of year, would be a skyscraper tower lit up to resemble a Hanukkah Menorah with a Star of David superimposed on it, and the center candleholder going up to form a cross with a star floating above it all. I guess we'll have to wait until The Mystery Tower is actually realized.

Perhaps a version of The Festivus Pole while we're waiting?

trousers
12-22-2014, 01:07 PM
While the idea of the Festivus pole is a good one in reality it isn't that impressive. 9882

OkiePoke
12-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Isn't the Devon Tower just a big Festivus Pole?

Huskie61
01-15-2015, 12:11 PM
It doesn't bother me and I don't lose any sleep over them and I don't get my shorts in a wad if I see a cross. Some people get uptight about anything these days.