View Full Version : British/Scottish Imports

White Peacock
12-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Is there anywhere left in OKC to get British imported goods? I used to go to Canterbury British Imports near 30th and May, but they've been shut down for a while. Any idea were a guy can get a haggis in these parts? Burns Night is next month and I wanna do it right this time.

Roger S
12-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Is there anywhere left in OKC to get British imported goods? I used to go to Canterbury British Imports near 30th and May, but they've been shut down for a while. Any idea were a guy can get a haggis in these parts? Burns Night is next month and I wanna do it right this time.

You might find one at Whole Foods.

If you find an Import shop around let me know..... I may not still have a Scottish wife but I'd sure love to get my hands on some Malteasers and McVittie's Digestives. ;)

ChowRunner
12-10-2014, 09:43 AM
I have a co-worker from Britain and he says to goto the asian store at 63/portland on the south west corner by the subway.
He also mentioned another store at NW 48/macarthur that has several british items

Roger S
12-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Would the store at 48th and MacArthur be Travel by Taste (http://www.travelbytasteok.com/Home_Page.php)?

I didn't see any European imports listed on their page but the menu looked intriguing enough for me to drive over there and verify it.

ChowRunner
12-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Would the store at 48th and MacArthur be Travel by Taste (http://www.travelbytasteok.com/Home_Page.php)?

I didn't see any European imports listed on their page but the menu looked intriguing enough for me to drive over there and verify it.

My friend says that Travel by Taste is the place.
He says that the owner travels through london and when he is there picks up some select items and has them on the shelf on his store.

White Peacock
12-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the tips, all. I'll check out both of the spots mentioned.

When I lived in Oregon, there were two Scottish shops I could go to (one in Portland, one in Salem) for pretty much anything Scottish I wanted. Canterbury was decent; shame it shut down. Of course I can order anything online, but it's awesome when you have a selection locally.

ljbab728
12-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I have a co-worker from Britain and he says to goto the asian store at 63/portland on the south west corner by the subway.
He also mentioned another store at NW 48/macarthur that has several british items

If you're talking about NW 63rd and Portland, the SW corner is the parking lot for a large office building. Is the Asian store inside of the office building?

ChowRunner
12-11-2014, 03:49 PM
I am sorry I mispoke,. I meant to write 50th and portland

Urbanized
12-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Man, I miss Canterbury. Fond memories of many, many lunches there with Aussie and fellow Anglophile Russell Claus, years before his time as Planning Director, when he was running the Murrah District Revitaliaztion Program. Lots of convos over steak and kidney pies about taking over the world...

ljbab728
12-11-2014, 09:37 PM
I am sorry I mispoke,. I meant to write 50th and portland

Is this what you're referring to? It's in the building just to the west of the building where the Subway is located.
Halal Mart in Oklahoma City, OK - zabihah.com: your guide to halal eating (http://www.zabihah.com/biz/Oklahoma-City/Halal-Mart/XT41Z84i3U)

Joe Kimball
12-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Shame about Canterbury! I got my first Aero bar there, before Bricktown Candy started up, and also a jar of Marmite (the best I could do in lieu of Vegemite). Interesting stuff; not for everybody.

White Peacock
12-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Shame about Canterbury! I got my first Aero bar there, before Bricktown Candy started up, and also a jar of Marmite (the best I could do in lieu of Vegemite). Interesting stuff; not for everybody.

Aeros are yummy; I occasionally have one (or a package of them) when I go to Canada. They now have Aero bites...little chocolate balls full of air pockets. They come in mint-chocolate as well. So good. But my preferred Canadian candy bar is Coffee Crisp.

ctchandler
12-13-2014, 11:10 AM

I bought a few things at Canterbury, especially when my friend from London came over. I really enjoyed Aunt Betty's Yorkshire pudding (it's a type of bread, not a dessert) but it was pretty pricey, then a friend from Swindon, UK, sent me a really simple recipe and now I make them and freeze what I don't use for later on. I make two batches at a time, so that's 24 of the Aunt Betty's type.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
12-13-2014, 12:20 PM
I thought that the FDA or the USDA or whomever outlawed the importation of Haggis into the U.S.

I'm afraid that, even if I were in Scotland--where you can get steaming fresh Haggis, instead of Haggis filled with those artificial offal preservatives--I just couldn't eat it. Maybe some tatties and neaps with a side of thistles, but Haggis? No. Sorry.

I think for Robert Burns Day, we'll have Scotch Eggs.
(hard boil some eggs and soak them in single malt scotch for a couple of weeks).

I will say this: I'd probably eat Haggis before I'd sample Spotted Dick.

Address to a Haggis by Robert Burns

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
Aboon them a' yet tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin was help to mend a mill
In time o'need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin', rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad make her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckles as wither'd rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
His nieve a nit;
Thro' blody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll mak it whissle;
An' legs an' arms, an' hands will sned,
Like taps o' trissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
Gie her a haggis!

Address to a Haggis by Radical Moderate

Hi, nice t' meetcha.
No thanks.

Joe Kimball
12-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Coffee Crisp! I've heard of this, and I imagine I'd love it. I need to see if any of it made it to Bricktown, and if not, see if they can order.

And, I actually got the last spotted dick, on clearance and everything, over at Buy For Less a couple weeks ago. Again a pudding as described, it was actually really good.