View Full Version : SSN required for mailbox rental?

TheTravellers
12-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Private company mailbox rental (not USPS) needed my SSN today, kept on a form in the back room, not on any computer, said the USPS required it. Don't believe they require that info, anybody know any different? Thanks...

Pete
12-05-2014, 05:28 PM
That makes zero sense.

No way would I give them that info.

tfvc.org
12-05-2014, 07:26 PM
I think you can thank Bush for that one. They also require a physical address and photo ID now as well. Before 9/11 It wasn't required. I have been using PO boxes for 15-20 years, and it wasn't as strict before Bush enacted his homeland security laws. That way anything suspicious going to that box can be traced to you.

kevinpate
12-05-2014, 07:50 PM
The USPS postal box application for a box from them does not ask for a SS number. As to acceptable forms of ID to show when renting a PO box, the instructions add this note:

ID REQUIRED
Whether you apply online or at a Post Office, two valid forms of identification are required when you obtain your keys or
combination at the Post Office where your box is located. You must present the IDs at a Post Office. One item must contain a photograph
and one must be traceable to the bearer (prove your physical address). Both must be current. Acceptable forms of ID include:

Photo Id Options:
■ Valid driver’s license or state non-driver’s identification card
■ Armed forces, government, university, or recognized corporate identification card
■ Passport, passport card, alien registration card, or certificate of naturalization

non-photo Id Options:
■ Current lease, mortgage, or deed of trust
■ Voter or vehicle registration card
■ Home or vehicle insurance policy

note: Social Security cards, credit cards, and birth certificates are not acceptable forms of ID.

source: http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1093.pdf

Postal Annex private boxes do not require a SS number either
source: https://postalannex.com/private-mailbox-rental

trousers
12-06-2014, 09:57 AM
I usually assume that is more for tracking you down for non-payment than security.

TheTravellers
12-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies, I can understand a DL and 2nd ID, but not SSN, that's just too much, thought they were overstepping their bounds. They were shocked when I asked them why they needed it, apparently nobody ever questioned it - amazing how sheeplike people are.

ctchandler
12-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, I can understand a DL and 2nd ID, but not SSN, that's just too much, thought they were overstepping their bounds. They were shocked when I asked them why they needed it, apparently nobody ever questioned it - amazing how sheeplike people are.

I always ask why they need it and in some cases, it is required, but very few. If they don't have a legal reason, I don't provide it. Banks for obvious reasons, have to have it. If you are on Medicare, of course it's their only way to bill Medicare for medical services provided. Well, it's not actually your ssn, it's your ssn - and a character, so mine is nnn-nn-nnnn-A. Funny thing is, a lot of the paperwork that you fill out for each doctor's office visit asks for it and I have learned that they no right to the information, so I don't write it on the form and I tell them when I give it to them. That seems to work. I have never been turned down and I have been on Medicare a little over five years.
C. T.

Tritone
12-09-2014, 07:53 PM
When I was younger the word was that SSAN was not to be used for identification purposes. I guess that philosophy changed somewhere down the line. As a reverse thought, for over thirty years my military ID card and dog tags bore my SSAN. Then the SSAN on the ID card had to be replaced with a new number a couple years ago. I do not know if the dog tags needed to be changed or not. I asked the folks who make tags if everyone would need to get new tags. They said they'd have to check on that one but I retired before I got an answer.