View Full Version : Man Suspected of Falsely Posing as a Decorated Veteran in Mall

Achilleslastand
12-04-2014, 10:41 PM
https://gma.yahoo.com/man-suspected-falsely-posing-decorated-veteran-mall-135732011--abc-news-topstories.html

A Pennsylvania man might face federal charges of impersonation after being seen in a video dressed as a decorated veteran when a real veteran challenged him in a mall.

Sean Yetman, who claimed to be an Army Ranger, was confronted by former infantryman and Purple Heart recipient Ryan Berk, an exchange that was caught on camera. Berk said he suspects Yetman was using the uniform to get discounts while shopping on Black Friday at Oxford Valley Mall outside of Philadelphia.

“Where is your combat patch at?” Berk asked Yetman, in a video that has received more than 2.5 million views online.

“I gave it to a little kid,” Yetman said.

“Why is your flag so low on your shoulder?” Berk asked. “It should be up here,” he said, pointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNVtWjkvhAU

“You got me on that one, bud.”

In the video, Berk calls attention to the uniform’s Combat Infantry badges, undershirt and boots, as well as the man’s declaration that he completed basic training at Fort Jackson.

Soldier impersonation cases are so common that veterans pushed for the Stolen Valor Act of 2013, which makes it a federal crime for someone to present themselves as a decorated military member “with the intent to obtain money, property or other tangible benefit.”

Pennsylvania Congressman Mike Fitzpatrick asked the U.S. Attorney in Philadelphia to consider whether Yetman should face federal charges.

In the video, Yetman insisted to Berk that he’s the real deal.

“If I was a phony, then I wouldn’t be wearing this uniform,” Yetman told Berk.

Attempts to reach Yetman for comment were not successful.

For Berk, the situation takes away from the efforts of his fellow service members.

“It’s frustrating, because you serve with good men who have either lost their loves or been seriously wounded who earned that uniform,” he said.

Sorry but this guy dosnt look like he would last one day at Ranger School.

kelroy55
12-05-2014, 01:10 AM
I saw that. I'm glad he got busted.

Tigerguy
12-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Punishment: send him to the front lines.

Plutonic Panda
12-05-2014, 02:00 PM
That or make him clean up sh!t from port-a-potties.

rezman
12-05-2014, 03:13 PM
If true, it is one of the highest levels of disrespect. I have one coworker and a former coworker, both Marines and Iraq & Afghanistan verterans, who would remove his entire fake uniform for him .... over his head, starting with the pantlegs.

Bullbear
12-05-2014, 03:28 PM
people are strange

Urbanized
12-06-2014, 09:17 AM
This is a really common issue, and often includes people claiming special forces experience. There are websites dedicated to exposing fake Seals, etc.. I used to get several job applications each year from people claiming military experience that I believed to be suspect. Fake Seals are a very common occurrence, in some cases coming from guys with legitimate Navy service who wanted to jazz up the time they spent peeling potatoes. It's a shame when those guys fail to understand that simply serving at all is recommendation enough. I've employed plenty of legitimate vets, Guardsmen, Reservists even active-duty guys, and take pleasure in doing so whenever I can. They don't all have to be the guy who shot Osama Bin Laden.

I haven't had a "special forces" applicant in quite some time, and I suspect that is due to the prevalence now of such mechanisms for exposure. Now that the Stolen Valor act has been enacted, believe me I would take great pleasure in helping expose someone like that and cooperating in a prosecution.

BBatesokc
12-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Anyone remember when that guy from Germany in 2009 that fooled OCPD into letting him live with one of their captains and even let him ride along and participate in training exercises and gave him body armor to wear. He also claimed to be a sniper and in their version of special forces.

Cocaine
12-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I thought this law was ruled unconstitutional? Aren't this man's rights being violated? He does have a right to say all the bs he said. I don't agree with what he's doing but he is well within rights to do so. It sucks but the most that should happen to him is that he should be publicly outed as a fraud. It's great that he cannot be charged though.

Urbanized
12-07-2014, 03:51 PM
The Stolen Valor Act of 2005 was overturned, but it was replaced by the Stolen Valor Act of 2013, still in effect:

Stolen Valor Act of 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2013)

BBatesokc
12-08-2014, 06:56 AM
I thought this law was ruled unconstitutional? Aren't this man's rights being violated? He does have a right to say all the bs he said. I don't agree with what he's doing but he is well within rights to do so. It sucks but the most that should happen to him is that he should be publicly outed as a fraud. It's great that he cannot be charged though.

How are his rights being violated? Anyone can say just about anything they want - the criminality comes from the reaction of one's audience.

I can yell fire all day long where there is no fire. The problem comes from if people believe there is a fire and a stampede and injuries are the result. I can call myself a cop all I want. However, the moment someone reasonably believes I am a cop based on my actions - then I can be arrested for impersonating a cop.

I can tell chicks I'm in the special forces - but if I get discounts on goods and services based on that talk then I've broken the law.

If he did more than boast, and actually used his lie in an overt act to get anything of value, then he's busted.

jerrywall
12-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Maybe I can get a fake FBI badge and subject women to pat downs and strip searches while I'm at it? It's all free speech right?