View Full Version : Anyone know anything about house alarms?

Zuplar
11-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Anyone have any experience with house alarm systems? My house came with a DSC system and since it was a foreclosure, I don't have the code or anything. I did find an owners manual stuffed where the box and stuff is, but I had thought about getting it setup to work locally only, just for appearance sake. The backup battery went out a year ago, so right now the whole thing is disconnected.

Achilleslastand
11-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Anyone have any experience with house alarm systems? My house came with a DSC system and since it was a foreclosure, I don't have the code or anything. I did find an owners manual stuffed where the box and stuff is, but I had thought about getting it setup to work locally only, just for appearance sake. The backup battery went out a year ago, so right now the whole thing is disconnected.

Not sure how much this would be of help to you.......NextAlarm.com - Affordable innovative VoIP home and office monitoring (http://info.nextalarm.com/help/dsc-installer-code)

Other than that you might try giving a local company {Guardian for example}a call to see if they can help you out.

Wambo36
11-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Look in the box where the back up battery is kept and see if whoever installed it left a card or anything there. Maybe a window sticker of any way to identify the installer would be a huge help. We had to do this with the house my son rented while in college. When we contacted the installer and told him that the previous tenant moved out without passing along the alarm code, they came out and reprogrammed it for my son. There was a fee but well worth it for him to have a working alarm system.

Zuplar
11-30-2014, 08:34 PM
I have an idea who it is, I'm just afraid that it's going to turn into them calling me all the time to set up service.

FighttheGoodFight
12-01-2014, 08:28 AM
I have an idea who it is, I'm just afraid that it's going to turn into them calling me all the time to set up service.

I set up Google Voice for just this reason. Then they don't have my number to call me.

Zuplar
12-01-2014, 01:44 PM
I set up Google Voice for just this reason. Then they don't have my number to call me.

Yeah I got one of those. Maybe I'll just suck it up and have them come out.

Anyone got an idea how much it would cost?

GaryOKC6
12-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Yeah I got one of those. Maybe I'll just suck it up and have them come out.

Anyone got an idea how much it would cost?

I use Eales electronics. They are local company and will not keep calling you. I like the fact that their monitoring is also locally done. They are also about half the price of the others on monitoring. I discovered that by having my alarm monitored I get enough discount on my homeowners insurance to more than pay for it. If you want to call Eales the info is below:

Tiffany Johnson
OK Lic #9115
Eales Electronics Corp.
OK Lic #434
P.O. Box 721140 Oklahoma City, OK 73172-1140
(405) 773-3188 Fax (405) 773-3936
tjohnson@ealesok.com
ealesok (http://www.ealeselectronics.com)

Zuplar
12-01-2014, 05:20 PM
I don't have a home phone so I'm not really looking to do monitored cause then that's another added cost. Just looking at getting it usable locally.

Bill Robertson
12-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Search the internet for DSC installer manuals for your model. Almost all the brands manuals are out there and DSC is a pretty popular brand. Programming isn't difficult. You just have to know how to get into it.

bradh
12-02-2014, 07:40 AM
I don't have a home phone so I'm not really looking to do monitored cause then that's another added cost. Just looking at getting it usable locally.

it's extra per month, but they can monitor using your cell phone now, don't have to have a land line anymore

bombermwc
12-02-2014, 07:56 AM
I had a similar situation because the lady we bought our house from, gave an incorrect code. It was like $30 for them to come out and reprogram it (toss the old codes, which is important) and add the new ones. Just do a google search for alarm service DSC and you'll find people that work on them. And even if they don't, if they can get a manual, the good companies will know what to do. I used R.E.C. for my older FBEYE2 system. One nice thing with the older one was that it still had an analog modem, so it could tie into the Vonage activated phone outlets. Apparently, the newer digital modems can't do that and you'd have to go with cell. But be careful, pahdz, they have to add a line to the account so there's a monthly fee with the cell part. R.E.C's monitoring is very reasonable too. Depends on if they are on your side of town or not, but I've been very happy with them. They were very reasonable on adding 2 motion sensors to the existing system as well.

Zuplar
12-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Search the internet for DSC installer manuals for your model. Almost all the brands manuals are out there and DSC is a pretty popular brand. Programming isn't difficult. You just have to know how to get into it.

I found all that, problem is I don't know the code they last used.

Bill Robertson
12-03-2014, 05:56 AM
I found all that, problem is I don't know the code they last used.There's almost always a "backdoor". Usually pins to jumper on the motherboard or such. The installer manual should have that information.

Huskie61
01-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Go to DIY Home Improvement Information | DoItYourself.com (http://www.doityourself.com) My alarm was not working because I disconnected one pad and they told me how to re-configure it to work. Saved me a bundle.