View Full Version : No charges against officer in Ferguson shooting

Pages : [1] 2

Prunepicker
11-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Is anyone surprised?

Can we discuss this without political implications?

I honestly believed that charges wouldn't be found. Thank goodness for
rational thinking people who didn't listen to the "judge and jury" media.

From CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ferguson-decision-grand-jury-decides-not-to-charge-police-officer-darren-wilson-in-michael-brown/?tag=nl.e879&s_cid=e879&ttag=e879&ftag=TREcd0eead)
A St. Louis County grand jury has decided not to indict Ferguson police officer
Darren Wilson for fatally shooting 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Easy180
11-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Not surprised at the decision but am somewhat surprised they waited until dark to throw it out there...Hopefully there will be some good that comes out of this very unfortunate situation

kevinpate
11-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Unless someone has in-depth information of the facts, not sure what there is to discuss. If a grand jury doesn't indict, it usually means evidence was rather slim.
It doesn't take a whole lot to obtain an indictment, hence the old saw about a prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich if s/he were motivated to do so.

Chadanth
11-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Is anyone surprised?

Can we discuss this without political implications?

I honestly believed that charges wouldn't be found. Thank goodness for
rational thinking people who didn't listen to the "judge and jury" media.

From CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ferguson-decision-grand-jury-decides-not-to-charge-police-officer-darren-wilson-in-michael-brown/?tag=nl.e879&s_cid=e879&ttag=e879&ftag=TREcd0eead)
A St. Louis County grand jury has decided not to indict Ferguson police officer
Darren Wilson for fatally shooting 18-year-old Michael Brown.

I'm not surprised, and I don't think that charges should have been filed. It's a legal matter, more than a political one. That said, too many people made up their minds on both sides of the issue with little knowledge of the law, the facts, or the process.

mugofbeer
11-24-2014, 08:55 PM
70 hours of work and 60 witnesses.

Not so much "judge and jury" media but riot-bating media who want to get the best angle on the protests about to ensue.

Prunepicker
11-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Not surprised at the decision but am somewhat surprised they waited until dark to
throw it out there...Hopefully there will be some good that comes out of this very
unfortunate situation
The Governor was prepared for the reasonable decision as was everyone else.
There was no way the police officer could have been charged with racism.

The best thing to come out of this is if the media decide to end racism instead
of keeping it alive.

Prunepicker
11-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Unless someone has in-depth information of the facts, not sure what there is
to discuss. If a grand jury doesn't indict, it usually means evidence was rather
slim.
It was slim from the get go. The media tried to make it out to be racism, which it
wasn't. Not even close.

Prunepicker
11-24-2014, 09:07 PM
We should all be grateful that the Grand Jury didn't succumb to media hype
and racism. We all know that the media is enamored with racism. It's a wonderful
thing when thinking Americans resist elitism.

Viva intelligentsia.

BBatesokc
11-25-2014, 07:40 AM
I hope they do release the Grand Jury transcripts. Can't speak for how its done in Missouri, but a no-bill is not often due to a lack of evidence. The entire process is guided by prosecutors. If they have an agenda to get a true-bill then they will almost always get one. If they have an agenda to get a no-bill, they can almost assure that outcome too.

The process IMO is flawed on many levels and makes a mockery of the justice system.

That said, based on what I've read and heard, it makes sense not to charge the officer.

Now the protestors will burn their own community down to make a point - the point they are idiots IMO.

Throckmorton
11-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Matt Pearce @mattdpearce · 2h 2 hours ago

Only nine of the 61 arrested in Ferguson last night are from Ferguson, according to an arrest roster from St. Louis County Police.

jerrywall
11-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Unless someone has in-depth information of the facts, not sure what there is to discuss. If a grand jury doesn't indict, it usually means evidence was rather slim.
It doesn't take a whole lot to obtain an indictment, hence the old saw about a prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich if s/he were motivated to do so.

I do think there are some things that can be discussed. Besides the shooting (which, based on most info I've seen seems to be justified), we can talk about the response. The length of time it took for the police to make statements and how long the body was on the road. The over militarization of the police department in Ferguson and across the country. The response to the initial protests. The fact that taking military vets, putting them in police uniforms and body armor, and then being shocked when they treat members of the community they patrol as enemies is absurd. The politicization of this whole process. How Obama (not to get political myself) when making a statement, showed body language and even language in his statement that made it sound like he was very disappointed in the grand jury results (and the consequences of this behavior).

I'd say there's plenty to talk about.

Wambo36
11-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Matt Pearce @mattdpearce · 2h 2 hours ago

Only nine of the 61 arrested in Ferguson last night are from Ferguson, according to an arrest roster from St. Louis County Police.
Maybe not from Ferguson, but according to the one of the news channels, almost all were from Ferguson or the immediately surrounding communities. Certainly not the influx of national instigators that some thought it would be.

Jim Kyle
11-25-2014, 09:36 AM
I'd say there's plenty to talk about.Agreed, but there's no way at all to keep it from getting political -- and nasty.

Seems to me that what's needed is responsible reporting by respected media (assuming that the previous two words haven't become an oxymoron), rather than irresponsible chasing after the most spectactular fireworks. Case in point: last night Channel 9 kept a feed of one building burning showing during most all their other coverage, after quickly cutting away from a shot of a totally deserted street where protests had stopped.

"If it bleeds, it leads" used to be the rule in most newsrooms. Apparently it still is for today's media. And emphasizing that 52/61 of those arrested for violence were outsiders doesn't seem to have bled enough to make the cut...

bradh
11-25-2014, 09:49 AM
People were all up in arms that the prosecutor had harsh words for the 24 hour news cycle and social media, but from the outside looking in I'd say those comments were certainly warranted.

FighttheGoodFight
11-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Agreed, but there's no way at all to keep it from getting political -- and nasty.

Seems to me that what's needed is responsible reporting by respected media (assuming that the previous two words haven't become an oxymoron), rather than irresponsible chasing after the most spectactular fireworks. Case in point: last night Channel 9 kept a feed of one building burning showing during most all their other coverage, after quickly cutting away from a shot of a totally deserted street where protests had stopped.

"If it bleeds, it leads" used to be the rule in most newsrooms. Apparently it still is for today's media. And emphasizing that 52/61 of those arrested for violence were outsiders doesn't seem to have bled enough to make the cut...

The media created quite the narrative for this one. Vote with your wallets people if you don't want to see this type of journalism then stop watching.

I can tell you the day I stopped watching the cable news networks I felt quite a bit better.

RadicalModerate
11-25-2014, 10:11 AM
I watched a little bit of the Today Show this morning. They did one of their little informal polls regarding the Grand Jury decision in Ferguson. 85% of the respondents said the Grand Jury did the right thing. 15% said they didn't. The hostess--and the rest of the crew--seemed to be surprised and a little embarrassed about he poll results. It's like it didn't go at all like they expected. In fact, at one point, the poll hostess said something like, "Of course this is not a sophisticated, accurate poll . . . More of a knee jerk reaction by people who have limited information about the situation." I found her comment somewhat baffling. I mean, WTF was she trying to say?

bradh
11-25-2014, 10:26 AM
I watched a little bit of the Today Show this morning. They did one of their little informal polls regarding the Grand Jury decision in Ferguson. 85% of the respondents said the Grand Jury did the right thing. 15% said they didn't. The hostess--and the rest of the crew--seemed to be surprised and a little embarrassed about he poll results. It's like it didn't go at all like they expected. In fact, at one point, the poll hostess said something like, "Of course this is not a sophisticated, accurate poll . . . More of a knee jerk reaction by people who have limited information about the situation." I found her comment somewhat baffling. I mean, WTF was she trying to say?

basically saying that if you don't agree with them you're a dumb ignorant racist. saw lots of those on twitter last night with that same tone. i think there is blame to go around on all sides (don't steal crap, make DAMNED sure someone is a threat before you shoot them in the head, etc) but last night there were lots of twitter lawyers and people who acted like they had inside info.

Urbanized
11-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Here is some of the evidence (specifically witness statements, some conflicting) released by the DA:

Witnesses Saw Michael Brown Attacking?and Others Saw Him Giving Up - CityLab (http://www.citylab.com/crime/2014/11/witnesses-saw-michael-brown-attackingand-others-saw-him-giving-up/383162/)

TheTravellers
11-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Darren Wilson was never going to be indicted for killing Michael Brown: Our courts don?t hold police accountable for using deadly force. (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/11/darren_wilson_was_never_going_to_be_indicted_for_k illing_michael_brown_our.html)

Darren Wilson photos: What he looked like after shooting Michael Brown (http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/11/25/darren_wilson_photos_what_he_looked_like_after_sho oting_michael_brown.html)

jn1780
11-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Here is some of the evidence (specifically witness statements, some conflicting) released by the DA:

Witnesses Saw Michael Brown Attacking?and Others Saw Him Giving Up - CityLab (http://www.citylab.com/crime/2014/11/witnesses-saw-michael-brown-attackingand-others-saw-him-giving-up/383162/)

What Brown did or didn't do wouldn't have mattered to at least one or two of the witnesses.

stick47
11-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Regarding the use of lethal force against Michael Brown;

A. Brown had already attempted to get the officers weapon.

B. Use of a taser isn't a guaranteed game changer. There are numerous videos out there of people continuing to fight after being tased multiple times.

C. Browns physical size and strength. Had he not have been stopped by lethal gunfire I believe the officer and very possibly others would have been killed.

IMO using a taser is best if you believe that you aren't overmatched physically. (more officers on the scene, etc)

BBatesokc
11-25-2014, 12:20 PM

What was even the point in doing a poll asking if the Grand Jury got it right? The public wasn't at the proceedings and have zero idea what testimony they heard. Pretty irresponsible and pointless if you ask me.

BBatesokc
11-25-2014, 12:28 PM

B. Use of a taser isn't a guaranteed game changer. There are numerous videos out there of people continuing to fight after being tased multiple times.

C. Browns physical size and strength. Had he not have been stopped by lethal gunfire I believe the officer and very possibly others would have been killed.

IMO using a taser is best if you believe that you aren't overmatched physically. (more officers on the scene, etc)

I get so sick of people going "what about a taser? Why didn't he/she just use a taser?" I'm taser certified and I own several, from a Taser model C2 to a the X26.

The first thing they teach you is that everything has to go exactly right for a taser to be effective and that if you believe your life is in danger and you have a gun, you should use the gun because far less can go wrong.

With a taser, not only can some people 'ignore' the pain stimulus but to even apply the stimulus both prongs must hit your target and things like heavier clothing can greatly reduce and often eliminate successful discharge. Not to mention people can pull the prongs out. Then there are battery supply issues, and the list goes on.

jompster
11-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Since the witnesses had inconsistent testimony and it would have been difficult to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt," as is required in a criminal case, it's not hard to understand why they declined to indict him. It would be hard to convict him based on what evidence has been made public, anyway. I, too, would like to see a transcript of the proceeding... it probably makes for an interesting legal study.

gopokes88
11-25-2014, 01:26 PM

Here's Wilson's testimony:

“I go to open the door and I say, hey, come here for a minute to Brown. As I’m opening the door he turns, faces me, looks at me says ‘what the f*** are you going to do about it’, and shuts my door, slammed it shut.”

Wilson says he told Brown to “get the f*** back”.

“He then grabs my door again and shuts my door. At that time is when I saw him coming into my vehicle. His head was higher than the top of my car. And I see him ducking and as he is ducking, his hands are up and he’s coming into my vehicle.

“I had shielded myself in this type of manner and kind of looked away, so I don’t remember seeing him come at me, but I was hit right here in the side of the face with a fist. I don’t think it was a full-on swing, I think it was a full-on swing but not a full shot. I think my arm deflected some of it, but thee was still a significant amount of contact that made to my face.”

Wilson says Brown then handed the cigarirellos to his friend. The officer says he wasn’t carrying a taser. He considered using his flashlight or sap to control the teen but says he wasn’t willing to give up use of his left hand to protect himself from Brown’s punches.

“So the only other option I thought I had was my gun. I drew my gun, I turned. It is kind of hard to describe it, I turn and I go like this. He is standing here. I said, “get back or I’m going to shoot you.

“He immediately grabs my gun and says, ‘you are too much of a ***** to shoot me.’”

Wilson says Brown then grabbed the gun.

“I’m in my car, he’s here, it is pointed this way, but he grabs it with his right hand, not his left, he grabs with his right now and he twists it and then digs it down into my hip.”

Wilson says he feared for his life in that moment.

“I felt that another one of those punches in my face could knock me out or worse. I mean it was, he’s obviously bigger than I was and stronger and the, I’ve already taken two the face and I didn’t think I would, the third one could be fatal if he hit me right.”

Wilson says he eventually got control of the weapon and after two misfires his gun went off.

“He looked up at me and had the most intense aggressive face. The only way I can describe it, it looks like a demon, that’s how angry he looked. He comes back toward me again with his hands up.”

Wilson says his gun misfired again and then he pulled the trigger and the weapon went off again. The officer says Brown then took off on foot and he chased him while calling for backup.

The officer says Brown came to a stop near a telephone pole.

“And then he starts to turn around, I tell him to get on the ground, get on the ground.

“He turns, and when he looked at me, he made like a grunting, like aggravated sound and he starts, he turns, and he’s coming back towards me. his first step is coming towards me, he kind of doers like a stutter step to start running. When he does that, his left hand goes in a fist and goes to his side, his right one goes under his shirt in his waistband and he starts running at me.”

Wilson says he keeps telling Brown to get on the ground but the young man refused.

“I shoot a series of shots. I don’t know how many I shot, I just know I shot it.

“I know I missed a couple, I don’t know how many, but I know I him him at least once because I saw his body kind of jerk or flinched.

“I remember having tunnel vision on his right hand, that’s all, I’m just focusing on that hand when I was shooting.
“Well after the last shot, my tunnel vision kind of opened up. I remember seeing the smoke from the gun and I kind of looked at him and he’s still coming at me, he hadn’t slowed down.

“At that point aI start backpedaling and again I tell him get on the ground, get on the ground,he doesn’t. I shoot another round of shots.. Again, I don’t recall how many it was or if I hit him every time. I know at least once because he flinched again.”

Even then Wilson says Brown kept coming at him and approached like he was going to tackle the officer.

“And when he gets about that eight to ten feet away, I look down, I remember looking at my sites and firing, all I see is his head that’s what I shot.

“I don’t know how many, I know at least once, because I saw the last one go into him. And then when it went into him, the demeanor on his face went blank, the aggression, was gone, it was gone, I mean, I knew he stopped, the threat was stopped.

“When he fell, he fell on his face. And I remember his feet coming up, like he had so much momentum carrying him forward that when he fell, his feet kind of came up a little bit and then they rested.

“At that point I got back on the radio and said, “send me a supervisor and every car you got.”

-If you jump into a cop car and punch the cop that situation is only going to escalate from there, not the other way around. That's just common sense. It's a sad situation, but the grand jury was right.

Filthy
11-25-2014, 01:33 PM
It's a sad situation, but the grand jury was right.

Nothing sad about it at all.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Mel
11-25-2014, 02:25 PM
http://news.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/live-updates-from-ferguson-on-the-grand-jury-decision-in-michael-brown-shooting/?_r=0

White Peacock
11-25-2014, 02:29 PM
What was even the point in doing a poll asking if the Grand Jury got it right? The public wasn't at the proceedings and have zero idea what testimony they heard. Pretty irresponsible and pointless if you ask me.

They were hoping for more hands for the circle jerk.

Jersey Boss
11-25-2014, 02:44 PM
The next time I see a cop indicted for murder/manslaughter will be the first time.

White Peacock
11-25-2014, 02:58 PM
The next time I see a cop indicted for murder/manslaughter will be the first time.

Tulsa Police Officer Charged With Murder - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | (http://www.newson6.com/story/26308400/tulsa-police-officer-charged-with-murder)

N.C. police officer charged with fatal shooting of unarmed man due in court - NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/n-c-police-officer-charged-fatal-shooting-unarmed-man-due-f8C11162428)

Colorado police officer charged with murder, held on $1 million bond | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/15/us-usa-colorado-murder-idUSKCN0IZ02520141115)

Cops charged with murder of California man ? RT USA (http://rt.com/usa/charged-murder-thomas-ramos-161/)

It happens.

jerrywall
11-25-2014, 03:03 PM
And don't forget -

Judge sentences former Del City police captain in 18-year-old's death | News OK (http://newsok.com/judge-sentences-former-del-city-police-captain-in-18-year-olds-death/article/3930807)

Martin
11-25-2014, 03:06 PM

really? (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=police+officers+indicted+for+murder+or+manslaug hter+united+states+-ferguson) -M

Dubya61
11-25-2014, 03:33 PM
... lots of twitter lawyers ...

classic!

gopokes88
11-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Nothing sad about it at all.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That's true, but death is the ultimate price to pay for stupid behavior. The cop was justified and justice has been served. It is sad that the plate being served could not have been harsher. It's final. That to me is sad.

gopokes88
11-25-2014, 03:58 PM

Guess that's the last time you get to use that line.

Jersey Boss
11-25-2014, 04:00 PM
really? (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=police+officers+indicted+for+murder+or+manslaug hter+united+states+-ferguson) -M

I was going by this article. I do stand corrected on the DC thing though.

Deadly Force: A decade of Oklahoma City Police Department shootings | News OK (http://newsok.com/deadly-force-a-decade-of-oklahoma-city-police-department-shootings/article/4747453)

– During the time period of Jan. 1 2004 through Dec. 31, 2013, there were 78 police shootings, including 28 that resulted in a death. During that time period, 2013 was the deadliest year, with six people shot and killed by police. That number has been exceeded already this year. So far, there have been seven fatal police shootings in Oklahoma City in 2014.

– Prater, a former police officer, and his predecessor as district attorney, Wes Lane, found the police were justified in every Oklahoma City shooting case they handled during the 10-year period reviewed by The Oklahoman.

– Since being elected district attorney in 2006, Prater has sent only one police shooting incident to a grand jury. That case stemmed from an April 9, 2013 incident in which members of the U.S. Marshals Metro Fugitive Task Force attempted to serve an arrest warrant on Christopher Stout for two counts of felony burglary. When Stout, 23, and his girlfriend, Stacey Stout, sought to flee a Motel 6 near SE 44 and Interstate 35 in his pickup, lawmen crashed into the truck to stop it, then opened fire, killing the couple. The grand jury cleared the officers of criminal wrongdoing.

RadicalModerate
11-25-2014, 07:20 PM
[Ref. Post #25, above ^, bottom of Page 1]
. . . And let that be a lesson to scofflaws who try to bully police officers . . .
(of course, that is simply wishful thinking . . .)

MadMonk
11-26-2014, 08:22 AM
[Ref. Post #25, above ^, bottom of Page 1]
. . . And let that be a lesson to scofflaws who try to bully police officers . . .
(of course, that is simply wishful thinking . . .)

Yeah, that sounded intense.

Martin
11-26-2014, 08:28 AM
I was going by this article. I do stand corrected on the DC thing though.

i won't disagree that sometimes it seems as if those in law enforcement are unjustly shielded from the consequences of their actions... but to imply without qualification that you have never seen them held accountable? to me, that's needless hyperbole.

-M

stick47
11-26-2014, 09:19 AM
http://news.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/live-updates-from-ferguson-on-the-grand-jury-decision-in-michael-brown-shooting/?_r=0

Abraham Lincoln said "If a man won't admit that two plus two equals four, you'll never win the argument because the facts don't matter to him." This is Furguson today.

stick47
11-26-2014, 10:01 AM

TheTravellers
11-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Officer Darren Wilson's story is unbelievable. Literally. - Vox (http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7281165/darren-wilsons-story-side/in/7041840)

Michael Brown spent his last day with his friend Dorian Johnson. Here's what Johnson saw. - Vox (http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7287443/dorian-johnson-story)

jerrywall
11-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Vox makes gawker look like a legit news site.

Prunepicker
11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Here is some of the evidence (specifically witness statements, some conflicting)
released by the DA:

This is in line with what has been mentioned over the past months. The
testimonies were contradicting. It's as if they thought anything they said would
be taken as truth.

RadicalModerate
11-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Something regarding this situation popped up on my Facebook Feed . . .
(It was sort of like watching The Today Show . . . but more interactive)

This was my response. And I almost NEVER "Share" . . .
(please note how my "rhetorical style" has been refined, aligned and sublimed by the Pros here at OKC Talk . . . =)

[edited to add for the sake of clarification: begin quote]
This is sort of interesting. So interesting, in fact, that I felt compelled to Share it [the Link]. And to make a quip. Draw your own conclusions. Don't make the same mistake that the "Fallen Young Community Leader" on the other side of the events in question made.

[Insert Facebook FeedLink]

[Re: The Quip in Question, now buried under an unfathomable flood of general Facebook BS]:
"Officer Darren Wilson is, like, The [latest example of] Paula Deen, Phil Robertson and Bill Cosby--combined--in the Media Fueled Culture War, Law Enforcement Battalion Division.

A besmirched person simply doing his job. (please note that Bill Cosby has not yet been found guilty of a crime).

If the rightness of Officer Wilson's actions was ever in question, please observe the behavior of all who are allegedly "outraged" at the Common Sense as decided by the Local Grand Jury.

Or don't. It's a free country . . . or at least it used to be.

(For the record, I also support, completely, the phone video-ing of Asshole Officers in Action.
It tends to clarify both eyewitness--and I witless--testimony in court.)"

[end quote]

Prunepicker
11-26-2014, 08:18 PM
... (For the record, I also support, completely, the phone video-ing of Asshole Officers
in Action. It tends to clarify both eyewitness--and I witless--testimony in court.)"

Same here.

I find it odd that I didn't see any videos of what happened. With all of the phone
cameras you'd think someone would have recorded most of the event.

Chadanth
11-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Same here.

I find it odd that I didn't see any videos of what happened. With all of the phone
cameras you'd think someone would have recorded most of the event.

The whole altercation probably took less than a minute. Most people are t just standing around with phones at the ready to record cops. It was also apparently a residential area.

Prunepicker
11-26-2014, 10:25 PM
The whole altercation probably took less than a minute. Most people are just standing
around with phones at the ready to record cops. It was also apparently a residential
area.
Which is apparently in favor with the policeman. Evidence to the contrary would
have convicted him in a moment.

stick47
11-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Some cities have street cameras everywhere. Maybe not possible in 'da hood' where there are thugs with guns everywhere.

GaryOKC6
11-27-2014, 07:23 AM

The media is just as responsible for this being spun as a racial injustice. I think they picked the wrong person to make a martyr out of in this case. For some reason the media loves to stir racial tensions. I guess it is good for ratings.

stick47
11-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I don't think this would help.

venture
11-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Once media gets away from labeling people by race, we will be better off.

Look at the way News 9 handled the man walking through a Moore school a couple months back. They made it a point to push Muslim looking man with a thick Arab accent. The media is just here to get people scared and stay tuned in...nothing more. Life is more enjoyable when you shut them off and stop listening to them.

Prunepicker
11-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I don't think this would help.
The headline should have read, "no indictment for the police officer who
shot a 6' 4" 290lb man that attacked him after committing a felony."

Prunepicker
11-27-2014, 04:59 PM
The media is just as responsible for this being spun as a racial injustice...
They immediately began lighting the fire of racism.

Achilleslastand
11-27-2014, 07:05 PM
The headline should have read, "no indictment for the police officer who
shot a 6' 4" 290lb man that attacked him after committing a felony."

This shouldn't have even went before a Grand Jury. It was a huge waste of time, resources and money all in the name of the media and race hustlers like Sharpton pushing this as Emmett Till version 2.0. The media at some point needs to be held responsible for acting irresponsible.

Easy180
11-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Can't say I have followed this very closely but I'm kind of in favor of going to grand jury anytime an unarmed person is shot dead by a cop

Chadanth
11-27-2014, 08:15 PM
This shouldn't have even went before a Grand Jury. It was a huge waste of time, resources and money all in the name of the media and race hustlers like Sharpton pushing this as Emmett Till version 2.0. The media at some point needs to be held responsible for acting irresponsible.

Why shouldn't every police shooting get some degree of scrutiny?

ylouder
11-28-2014, 03:45 AM
Why shouldn't every police shooting get some degree of scrutiny?

Kinda funny considering how even here locally there have been numerous cases this year of cops lying, committing crimes, killing people, and raping people while on the job.

With that said I'm not surprised with the grand jury outcome because once they had evidence first shot was inside car at close range it was over.

I can understand people being upset over the findings or happy with the findings but to say cops deserve no scrutiny when they fire their weapon and take a life is a pretty ignorant statement...vut I guess as usual we have to consider the source.

stick47
11-28-2014, 05:04 AM
When the gun was fired inside the car it wasn't over. It wasn't even over when they detected powder burns on Michael Browns hand around his wound. It wasn't over when they found Michael Browns blood in the car and on the outside of the car and Officer Wilsons uniform. It was over as far as I was concerened after the grand jury said it was over. But it's not over according to the Obama administration who believe there's still some political capital they can gain from this.
If you want to hear the most intelligent advice on what caused and what could alleviate these kind of problems give a listen to Sheriff David Clarke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEl5YnEVtEY

ylouder
11-28-2014, 06:22 AM
I think you missed exactly what i said - that once they found that the first shot was close range and had Brown had gun powder residue on Brown the grand jury was going to clear the officer.

No sort of tussle /altercation with an officer will result in a good outcome for the citizen, regardless of the race.

With that said i dont carry enough baggage to celebrate the death of another person or minimize the fact that certain groups of people have different encounters with officers than i do. I've personally witnessed different groups of people receive radically different treatment based on income levels or perceived status in the community. Heck even between my wife and myself she receives much more officer 'discretion' during speeding stops that i ever have. I even know groups of women at work who openly celebrate getting out of numerous speeding tickets by batting their eyes and making up b.s. excuses. So to think that this type of discretion doesn't happen in other encounters all across the country every day - shows total lack of intelligence.